"Laxadaisical"

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

"Laxadaisical"

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Is it just me or do people get the word lackadaisical wrong so often that it might as well actually be laxadaisical? I guess it's a conflation of lax and lackadaisical. Or am I missing something?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Re: "Laxadaisical"

Post by Joseph Krol »

I pronounce it lackadaisical.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't hang around with people who use that word. What about "congradulations"?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Is it just me or do people get the word lackadaisical wrong so often that it might as well actually be laxadaisical?
You could make the same argument for "perculator", "anenome", "Febuary", "seccetry", "haitch", "goverment" and hundreds more.

However, I'd rather you didn't.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah, true. This one gets to me though. If you've got the fortitude to use a word with so many syllables, you should at least have it down, you know what I mean?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Yeah, true. This one gets to me though. If you've got the fortitude to use a word with so many syllables, you should at least have it down, you know what I mean?
Totes. It's like when people say "x and I" when they actually mean "x and me", because they know that saying "and I" is what SMRT people do, but haven't actually worked out that it's not always correct.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Is it just me or do people get the word lackadaisical wrong so often that it might as well actually be laxadaisical?
You could make the same argument for "perculator", "anenome", "Febuary", "seccetry", "haitch", "goverment" and hundreds more.

There's always this approach.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:

There's always this approach.
In the sentence starting at about 1:06 I think Webb was lucky not to die. Shouldn't it be "wrongly"?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:There's always this approach.
In the sentence starting at about 1:06 I think Webb was lucky not to die. Shouldn't it be "wrongly"?
Nope - wrong can be an adverb as well an adjective, as in "What did I do wrong?"