Scrabble Consensus Game 2

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Scrabble Consensus Game 2

Post by Oliver Garner »

Since we got absolutely mauled in the last game and there is demand for another one, here is another game for us to (possibly) get revenge.

The RULES -
There will be a strict 3 day cutoff for each move
The move with the most votes will be selected
In the event of a tie, the move whose players have the highest average Proranks rating takes precedence
If there is still a tie, I will have the casting vote
If it is absolutely clear that a particular move is best and there is unanimous agreement, I will stop voting and go onto the next move.

We are starting and the cut-off is 22:30 BST Friday 10th June. Please all get involved!

Edit : This should probably be moved to the Games and Puzzles section. Can one of the admins do this please?
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Scrabble Consensus Game 2

Post by Innis Carson »

Image not showing up for anyone else?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Innis Carson wrote:Image not showing up for anyone else?
I put the image on a private MSN photo album, so that'd be why. I don't particularly want to make a public one on MSN but I'd be willing to put it on another photo sharing site.

Edit : Cheers Michael, didn't realise it was this easy.
Last edited by Oliver Garner on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:Image not showing up for anyone else?
I have put the image on an MSN photo album. I don't know whether this is why you can't see it. If it is, I'm not all that inclined to continue with the game as I can't be bothered to invest time in looking for other methods of photo sharing. I'm sure there are plenty, but I won't have any motivation to do anything else until after my exams.
ImageShack is an incredibly low-effort way to get pictures online. Just tried it myself, took moments:

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I'm hesitant to make any suggestions at all, mainly because of
Oliver Garner wrote: In the event of a tie, the move whose players have the highest average Proranks rating takes precedence
but just to start things off, I'll say CLAW starting at the centre and going right.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I think maybe CAW because then you have LETI which are quite useful for bingo-ing?
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

I'm for either CAW or CLAW also, not sure which is better -- is ETI or LETI easier to bingo with next turn?

Obviously a 5 letter word starting or ending in W containing a C is best, maybe one starting or ending in C with a W, but I can't see one, and if Innis didn't either, I doubt one exists.

Also, my Proranks mark is awful compared to most forum posters, so I'd be better as someone to veto a move than to suggest one in a close run :lol:
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I know it sound really silly, but I've just realised that a 11-14 move game of Scrabble will take over a month at 3 days a move. As I've been on and off the forum for the last 6 months, I don't know if I can commit to it for this time and it would be unfair on you guys if you had to wait a long time for each move if I forgot. So I going to have to abandon the game.

I feel a bit stupid and am very sorry to all those who have inputted in the last 12 hours. I won't try anything like this again unless I'm sure that I would commit.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

1 vote for CLAW at G8
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Oliver Garner wrote:I know it sound really silly, but I've just realised that a 11-14 move game of Scrabble will take over a month at 3 days a move. As I've been on and off the forum for the last 6 months, I don't know if I can commit to it for this time and it would be unfair on you guys if you had to wait a long time for each move if I forgot. So I going to have to abandon the game.

I feel a bit stupid and am very sorry to all those who have inputted in the last 12 hours. I won't try anything like this again unless I'm sure that I would commit.
Presumably there'd be a few moves where the best option is obvious, in which case you just skip on to the next one pretty quickly. Other than that there's still the consensus game on WESPA's Facebook Page starting on Saturday...

http://www.facebook.com/WorldScrabble
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Someone else do it, otherwise I'll do it. But would prefer if someone else did it instead. Shall I do it instead?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:Someone else do it, otherwise I'll do it. But would prefer if someone else did it instead. Shall I do it instead?
Yeah go on
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Someone else do it, otherwise I'll do it. But would prefer if someone else did it instead. Shall I do it instead?
I'll do it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
I'll do it.
Cheers chap. Good option as I'm not good enough at Scrabble to offer much input and that would just piss me off. Crack on!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
I'll do it.
Cheers chap. Good option as I'm not good enough at Scrabble to offer much input and that would just piss me off. Crack on!
Actually, I've just realised that a 11-14 move game of Scrabble will take over a month at 3 days a move. As I've been on and off the forum for the last 6 months, I don't know if I can commit to it for this time and it would be unfair on you guys if you had to wait a long time for each move if I forgot. So I'm going to have to abandon the game.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'll do it.
Actually, I've just realised that a 11-14 move game of Scrabble will take over a month at 3 days a move. As I've been on and off the forum for the last 6 months, I don't know if I can commit to it for this time and it would be unfair on you guys if you had to wait a long time for each move if I forgot. So I'm going to have to abandon the game.
Such a bastard.

I'll genuinely do it, just tell me how to set it up and what I need to go on and I'll kind of orchestrate the whole thing. I didn't get involved with the last one. Unless of course Jon is being extremely sarcastic by his own standards and will actually do it?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

It's pretty straight-forward to do, download Quackle if you don't have it already (you'll need to set the board up - the premium squares etc. - yourself for legal reasons). Make both players human with known racks, save/load the game as you go along, you can decide Quackle's moves manually by using Ask Championship Player, or more basic methods like Generate Choices or simming it with many plies. Ask Championship Player is basically like simming it to the end but playing more intelligently, although you will occasionally get odd results because of simple variance so you may want to repeat it if you think the results are anomalous.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:It's pretty straight-forward to do, download Quackle if you don't have it already (you'll need to set the board up - the premium squares etc. - yourself for legal reasons). Make both players human with known racks, save/load the game as you go along, you can decide Quackle's moves manually by using Ask Championship Player, or more basic methods like Generate Choices or simming it with many plies. Ask Championship Player is basically like simming it to the end but playing more intelligently, although you will occasionally get odd results because of simple variance so you may want to repeat it if you think the results are anomalous.
Thanks for this Craig. I've downloaded it now and set up a board and game and that. I'm just having a fiddle with it as there's a load of stuff that I'm not understanding right now. First of all, how do I play my (our) go? I've played a go for Quackle by clicking 'Ask Championship Player' and then selecting it from the list and clicking 'Commit'. It played SPLINED and got 62 points for it but I think it should score 78 points (the I is a blank tile). So what's going on here? Finally, am I using the right dictionary? I set it to cswapr07. I might not have been the best person to do this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Oliver Garner wrote:The move with the most votes will be selected
The best way to beat Quackle probably isn't to do this. You'd probably do better making the final decision yourself (or Ryan now) but base it on the most sensible posts about what to do.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
The best way to beat Quackle probably isn't to do this. You'd probably do better making the final decision yourself (or Ryan now) but base it on the most sensible posts about what to do.
Or just do whatever Craig says.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
That would defeat the point of a consensus game though. They do that on the Scrabble app Page, where the admin decided to play MOW and keep QIIL on the opening move of the game.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
That would defeat the point of a consensus game though. They do that on the Scrabble app Page, where the admin decided to play MOW and keep QIIL on the opening move of the game.
I suppose. Presumably you'd have a bit of discussion and then have the vote so people are informed when voting.