Spoilers for Friday June 3rd 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday June 3rd 2011

Post by Jordan F »

And we're here at last. The grand final of Series 64, featuring the number 1 seed Adam "I Have Red Creatures As Avatars Sometimes" Gillard, and the number 2 seed Edward "I Have An Eeyore Toy" McCullagh. These two have been very impressive throughout the entire series, with 19 out of their combined 20 games featuring a century from one of them. Here are some more stats.

Adam Gillard:
Highest Score: 126 vs Ray Li
Lowest Score: 102 vs Adam Manning
Largest Margin of Victory: 102 points vs Mavis Riley
Percentage of Max: 86.4% (1128/1306)
Conundrum Success Rate: 8/10

Edward McCullagh
Highest Score: 121 vs Lalithia Thyagarajan
Lowest Score: 97 vs David Clerkin
Largest Margin of Victory: 94 points vs Lalithia Thyagarajan
Percentage of Max: 90.9% (1117/1229)
Conundrum Success Rate: 8/10

This one's going to be good. Join Mike "I Have A Countdown Page" Brown later this weekend for the recap.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers for Friday June 3rd 2011

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The Stanmore supernova v The Newy kNockout.

There has been exactly 100 episodes this series including the finals. :ugeek:

The wiki link will be after the ep finishes; here.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Round 11 - AVULSION
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

QUADRIC - last letters
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Great game guys - a worthy standard for a final.
Playing against you two today made me realise how poor I am at countdown.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Definitely a very well done to both players. I was so pleased when I got MATCHUP when watching the recording, but in all the other rounds they were both so impressive. Unfortunately I lost the bet on who bought that night's takeaway, and will have to console myself on being a humble 13th place for the series...
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent game lads, brilliant standard. 8-)

Well done Ed, you now take your place amongst the Countdown greats, and all done in a classy manner. :D Good you kept your wits about you by not letting Rachel pick the numbers. :lol: Well done to Adam too, on making the final, you would have beaten many a series winner. 8-)

Well done to the Jeff, Rachel, Susie and the Countdown crew too for another splendid series and good to see the ending wasn't squeezed there by other program ads.

We have to have a Champion of Champions series, it would be the best one ever.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I saw MATCHUP but dismissed it almost immediately as I (like Susie) suspected it would be hyphenated. Wouldn't have made a difference though; Ed is a deserving winner and I couldn't have wished for a better opponent in the final. By the way, we were told at the time that his solution in the first numbers round was the only way of getting within 15 of the target either side. I think this was the most impressive round of the final, and possibly even the whole series considering the importance of it.

In Ed, I had a great opponent but more importantly I've got a great friend; my Mum keeps reminding me how we walked across the studio floor before the final with our arms round each other's shoulders. Congratulations Eeyore! (Everyone always said £1k cash was the best prize anyway ;))
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ones I got:
Unsurprisingly, nothing.

Ones available:
AVULSION in Round 11. (Well done Oliver)
QUADRIC in Round 13. (Well done Peter)

PREDICTION RESULT: 85.714825 recurring% accurate!!
I got everything right. Edward pipped Adam in all 3 seed tables right at the end there: (top 2 only)

Normal Seedings (including other stuff):
1 E McCullagh - 11 wins - 1230 pts.
2 A Gillard - 10 wins - 1222 pts.

"Average" Seedings:
1 E McCullagh - 111.81 rec.
2 A Gillard 111.09 rec.

Percentage of max:
1 E McCullagh - 90.7%
2 A Gillard - 85.5%

You can find the full predictions by going here, even though I just basically said everything in them.
Adam Gillard wrote:(Everyone always said £1k cash was the best prize anyway ;-) )

Laptop for me! :lol: :lol:
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yeah that first numbers game was very impressive and under such tension too.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Also, Chris and Jon, surely I get some sort of remuneration for conceding R1 just so I could mention you both?

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Absolutely phenomenal Adam and Ed, a top notch final. My heart was racing the whole time, don't think it's surprising I wanted Ed to win. As has been said, the numbers spot under pressure was incredible and overall I thought you've been one of the best ever, and so too has Adam.
You both were excellent to watch and it was a thoroughly enjoyable series. Is this the first time that the two final winning scores were the same?
Has ARGUETOSS got anything to do with Jeff always saying the person in the champions' chair won the toss? :?

And finally, two Northern Irish people in two consecutive finals, not too bad eh?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Very well done to Ed for holding his composure after gaining the early lead, it must have been seriously nerve-racking - one slip could well have caused the match to go the other way. Congrats to Adam too for being so gracious and putting up a great fight, both of you would have been thoroughly well-deserved champions. Loved the mutual praise after the match.

It was fantastic to be there for the finals recordings, the atmosphere in the studio was the best I've ever seen, and I'm really glad to have had a chance to meet Adam, Ed and all the other finalists and other onliney people afterwards, all really friendly people and great company.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah it was a very very good game. I thought round one was going to be crucial as I though both players would get BROWNIES, but ED played so well in the next 13 rounds he was almost unbeatable. CARDIO was a particularly good one, I thought. Well done both
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Just watched the second semi and the final back-to-back and have to say Ed timed his run brilliantly. Great end to a very good series. Congratulations to both players, not only for the high standard but for the spirit in which the game was played.

With Jeff leaving after the next series hopefully they'll do as they did before and introduce his replacement with a Champion of Champions series.
Lisa Hermann
Rookie

Post by Lisa Hermann »

Tony Atkins wrote:Definitely a very well done to both players. I was so pleased when I got MATCHUP when watching the recording, but in all the other rounds they were both so impressive. Unfortunately I lost the bet on who bought that night's takeaway, and will have to console myself on being a humble 13th place for the series...
Don't knock it - all the best people finish 13th!
Lisa (13th in Series 42)
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Thanks for the comments :D

The final was intense, and although there was 19 points separating us at the end, it could have been so much different. BROWNIES was a 29 second spot (after considering CROWNIES[x] for about 10 seconds before that) and I was trying to get 784 in the numbers (98*8) but couldn't figure it out so had to settle for 792. With CARDIO, I was worried because it seemed like there was a 7 there, and I remember Adam showing me that he had CARD and CURIO noted so it was unlucky that he never saw CARDIO. He also had MATCHUP noted too, so that could have changed things.

On the morning of the finals, I didn't give myself a chance of winning. I was pretty rubbish in the quarter finals and Adam was brilliant in his match. However, I beat him (from the audience) in his semi and that gave me a bit of belief and my semi final performance had me well up for the final. I don't think I would have coped as well if I had to wait to play the final, so going from semi final to final in about half an hour really helped. Winning the toss too was helpful because I may have crumbled under the pressure of (presumably) 6 small in round 14!

Adam is a fantastic competitor and a great guy too. I remember when we were walking up to take our seats before the final and putting my arm round his shoulder to relax us both, because it was a bit nervy at that point and I wanted it to be a close final. We were chatting about the game in between rounds like it was a friendly game of pool or something, and it was played in a great spirit - I would not have been at all upset to lose to Adam because he really would have made a fantastic champion with his play and personality. I felt a bit sorry for Adam because it seemed to me like he was under a bit of pressure to win from his family. He's been an absolute credit to himself, his family and his friends.

It was a fantastic experience. I really enjoyed meeting all my fellow finalists, and all the Apto-people who came to watch (too many to name!) and it's kind of upsetting to think I'm probably not going to get to see any of them ever again :( I'll try my best to get over for a CO-something, and hopefully not go home too early in the night due to drinking too much free Strongbow and champers!

I'm also sad that I'm not going to ever set foot in the Countdown studios. I'd love there to be a CoC but it wouldn't be a good idea really. Hopefully I can go back as a spectator one day because it was all a bit of a rush really! I wouldn't change a moment of my Countdown experience... well maybe I'd go back in time and pronounce LITREAGE as LITREAGE and not LITRAYYAAJJJJ ;)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations Ed, and commiserations Adam; both outstanding players. Really had no idea who was going to win this one, you'd both performed so well in previous games.

I had MATINESS in R7. Somehow overlooked MEATINESS. :roll:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Very well done both of you. Excellent game.
Adam Gillard wrote:By the way, we were told at the time that his solution in the first numbers round was the only way of getting within 15 of the target either side. I think this was the most impressive round of the final, and possibly even the whole series considering the importance of it.
I thought it was very good too. Like Ed, I was trying for 784 but when I didn't get it, I didn't have anything else.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Has ARGUETOSS got anything to do with Jeff always saying the person in the champions' chair won the toss? :?
How is that decided? Do you just toss for sides or do you toss for the choice?
Edward McCullagh wrote:I'd love there to be a CoC but it wouldn't be a good idea really.
Congratulations for winning and everything but enough of this!

Also, Martin Gardner and Lisa Hermann both posting in this thread - it's like going back in time nearly 10 years.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Fantastic final, and it was a joy to be in the studio to watch it live.

It's been mentioned before, including by Adam, but I'd echo that Ed's numbers solve in R5 was the best solve/spot I can remember from the whole series.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Edward McCullagh wrote:I'd love there to be a CoC but it wouldn't be a good idea really.
So you do want there to be a CoC, then?
Gavin Chipper wrote:How is that decided? Do you just toss for sides or do you toss for the choice?
I thought I read somewhere that the challenger's chair always got the advantage in finals games. So I'm making a wild guess that it's for the choice.

Oddly enough, I think TROUSSAGE^ was one of my guesses for the conundrum, too.

Alternate in 2nd numbers game (not that anyone needed one): 25 x 2 x 6 x 3 - 5 = 895.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Just got to watch it. Excellent game. Adam and Edward were clearly the best 2 players of the series. Well done Edward on becoming champ.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Congrats Ed and commiserations to Adam. Great final.

Did find it quite funny that one of Ed's letter selections was: APRODRITE - reads like a conundrum scramble designed for someone from N.I.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

David O'Donnell wrote:Congrats Ed and commiserations to Adam. Great final.

Did find it quite funny that one of Ed's letter selections was: APRODRITE - reads like a conundrum scramble designed for someone from N.I.
I liked that round because it contained APTEROID.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Lisa Hermann wrote:Don't knock it - all the best people finish 13th!
Lisa (13th in Series 42)
Nice to see you posting again, Lisa. I was only wondering the other day how you were, when I was looking through some old online correspondence.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Just to echo everyone else, really. Some great games in the finals this series and the final was played in great spirit. Well done to Adam and Ed and it was nice to meet you (albeit pretty briefly) in Manchester, you both come across as pretty sound people. Hopefully it won't be the last we see of either of you in the studio and I love the idea of CoC being resurrected to usher in the new host in 2012. Failing that, hopefully we'll see you both (and any other ex-contestants who fancy it) at a CO-event in the future.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, Martin Gardner and Lisa Hermann both posting in this thread - it's like going back in time nearly 10 years.
I suppose it is about 10 years now since I joined the old Yahoo! forum, yes!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Mike Brown wrote:Just to echo everyone else, really. Some great games in the finals this series and the final was played in great spirit. Well done to Adam and Ed and it was nice to meet you (albeit pretty briefly) in Manchester, you both come across as pretty sound people. Hopefully it won't be the last we see of either of you in the studio and I love the idea of CoC being resurrected to usher in the new host in 2012. Failing that, hopefully we'll see you both (and any other ex-contestants who fancy it) at a CO-event in the future.
Hmm have they cancelled championship of champions events? This is new to me, I too had noticed it had been a number of series since we had one. If any more series go past, then some series champions may not get a place in it!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
So you do want there to be a CoC, then?
Yes!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Wahey! The Rob-meister is back and after enjoying a Countdown feast, I'm glad to say what a brilliant standard the finals has been played in.

After watching the semis, I still had a hope that the final would be a super brill contest, and hoped that both Adam and Eddie would get a century in the final, and while that didn't quite come to fruition, it was a super spectacle. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Nice also to see a 9 in the finals for the first time in ages. I was also happy to beat both of them in rounds 9 and 11, and was even confident that I had the conundrum too, when it turned out I hadn't. (Thought it was SESTORUGA, afterwards realised that it must've been SASTRUGA that I was thinking of.... :oops: :lol: )

Just brill and thanks to Thomas and Liam for looking after my recaps while I was off in Whitby. 8-)

BRING ON SERIES 65 :!: :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

AND A CoC TOO!!!!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Also, Martin Gardner and Lisa Hermann both posting in this thread - it's like going back in time nearly 10 years.
I suppose it is about 10 years now since I joined the old Yahoo! forum, yes!
It does seem that you're now stuck inside the spoilers subforum now unfortunately.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Congrats, Ed. I waited for the recap before posting in this thread because I actually wanted to read through it, but another excellent effort. I'm very, very impressed by round 5, especially with 7 off being the best possible: I see those numbers and that target and I probably actually throw my pencil over my back and crumple my paper after about 5 seconds if I were onstage, deeming it one of those "impossible" 6 smalls. Also, I thought the stegosaur and its members was recently removed as a dinosaur genus once it was determined that it was just another type of some other group? I don't remember it that well.

Still well played on both ends, just wish I'd have figured out a way to actually watch the episode instead of having to wait for the recap.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

welldone everyone
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:welldone everyone
Cheers
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Did Adam throw the final cos the cash seemed (to him) better than those books ?
In fact if I was able, it would for anmake an interesting poll.
Question being : would you deliberately lose the final if you needed the cash? (not that Im suggesting Adam did, oh actually I kinda did lol)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Marc Meakin wrote:Did Adam throw the final cos the cash seemed (to him) better than those books ?
No. Evidently I was so rubbish that it looked like I was throwing it :(