Who Will Win Series 64?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Who Will Win Series 64?

Adam Gillard
27%
Edward McCullagh
55%
Tom Barnes
5%
Andy McGurn
5%
Ned Pendleton
No votes
Graham Hill
9%
Mary Adie
No votes
Andrew MacNamara
No votes

Total votes: 22

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Who Will Win Series 64?

Post by Jordan F »

It's that time again, the finalists are set, and the speculation begins. So who'll take it? Note that this poll is based on the assumption that all 8 were able to make the tapings. If that ends up not being the case, I'll edit the poll as necessary.

EDIT: As you'll see below in the thread, information has come out that Graham Hill could not attend the tapings, and as a result will be replaced by the then number 9 ranked player, Michelle Nevitt, also bumping Mary Adie up to number 6 and Andrew MacNamara up to number 7. I don't want to erase the poll options, but vote accordingly

That being said, I"ll start with my game by game predictions.

1AG vs 8MN: Adam by about 35
2EM vs 7AMacN: Edward by about 40
3TB vs 6MA: Tom by about 40
4AMcG vs 5NP: Ned on a crucial

1AG vs 5NP: Adam by about 20
2EM vs 3TB: Edward by about 15

1AG vs 2EM: Edward on a crucial
Last edited by Jordan F on Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Who Will Win Series 64?

Post by Innis Carson »

Assuming it's not some kind of spoiler to say so, Graham Hill couldn't make it.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Innis Carson wrote:Assuming it's not some kind of spoiler to say so, Graham Hill couldn't make it.
So we're going to see Michelle Nevitt in the finals?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Quick reminder before disaster strikes that changing the options in a poll deletes all the previous votes.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I think an Adam - Ed final looks likely, unless Tom or Andy springs a surprise. I've got to say Ed will win it, he's also the one I want to win.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Graham Hill has a champion's name.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:Assuming it's not some kind of spoiler to say so, Graham Hill couldn't make it.
Not necessarily. This thing with Graham makes things interesting in that, at least for now, the finals are NOT set. It is entirely possible that Liam Herringshaw could make it, all he would need to do is average about 93 points per game in his next three and elect to go to the finals rather than continue his run. I probably won't even touch the poll choices with a 10 foot poll for awhile, but I would say for now replace the Graham Hill option with Michelle Nevitt/Liam Herringshaw.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jordan F wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Not necessarily. This thing with Graham makes things interesting in that, at least for now, the finals are NOT set. It is entirely possible that Liam Herringshaw could make it, all he would need to do is average about 93 points per game in his next three and elect to go to the finals rather than continue his run. I probably won't even touch the poll choices with a 10 foot poll for awhile, but I would say for now replace the Graham Hill option with Michelle Nevitt/Liam Herringshaw.
I'm not sure Liam can do that. I think there's a post from Damian on here from years ago where he says your run doesn't finish until you've lost a game or won eight, and you don't have the option to go into the finals of series N rather than continue in series N+1. I'm having trouble finding it though, either because I'm not searching for the right words or I'm imagining it.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever won the last heat of a series and elected to play in the finals rather than be the carry-over champion?

Of course, if Michelle can't make the recording, and Liam wins three and loses his fourth then he can qualify, but that's a bit of an edge case.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Graeme Cole wrote: I'm not sure Liam can do that. I think there's a post from Damian on here from years ago where he says your run doesn't finish until you've lost a game or won eight, and you don't have the option to go into the finals of series N rather than continue in series N+1. I'm having trouble finding it though, either because I'm not searching for the right words or I'm imagining it.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever won the last heat of a series and elected to play in the finals rather than be the carry-over champion?
That's correct. It used to be that you would go into the finals (or maybe you could choose), but now you have to continue.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Graeme Cole wrote:I think there's a post from Damian on here from years ago where he says your run doesn't finish until you've lost a game or won eight, and you don't have the option to go into the finals of series N rather than continue in series N+1. I'm having trouble finding it though, either because I'm not searching for the right words or I'm imagining it.
Try here.