Gadgets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Gadgets

Post by Lesley Hines »

After 4 weeks I am the satisfied owner of an IR repeater, that allows me to store all my AV equipment magically out of sight but still appeals to my lazy side. Roombas, however, cause considerable distress in the numerous pieces of Lego that have to be retrieved every time the damn thing's emptied.

What's your favourite gadget of the moment?
Lowering the averages since 2009
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Re: Gadgets

Post by Karen Pearson »

I didn't know what a Roomba was (although I had an ankling from the context) and guess what I did. Yes! I put it into Google and it told me! I've always fancied one of those but figured that I'd have to clear all the newspapers etc off the floor first so I'd already have done half the job!

My current favourite gadgets are my Kindle and my ice cream maker. The Kindle is great because you can get masses of free books for it, particularly the classics, so, as part of my quiz training, I am reading loads of things I should have read years ago.

The ice cream maker is one of those really fancy ones that does the freezing for you and it makes the loveliest ice cream! Way better than the ones where you have to freeze the bowl first. So, everyone who visits our house tends to get homemade ice cream at the moment - not that any of them are complaining!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Karen Pearson wrote:I didn't know what a Roomba was (although I had an ankling from the context) and guess what I did. Yes! I put it into Google and it told me!
What about IR Repeater, AV equipment (might be able to guess this one)? I don't mind Googling the odd term but the idea is that people should post in English!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I quite like my computer.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:I didn't know what a Roomba was (although I had an ankling from the context) and guess what I did. Yes! I put it into Google and it told me!
What about IR Repeater, AV equipment (might be able to guess this one)? I don't mind Googling the odd term but the idea is that people should post in English!
IR = Infrared. IR repeater = something that repeats the IR signal from your remote control to a receiver that then transmits it to your AV equipment (audio visual, e.g. DVD (digital versatile disc) player, Sky box (other satellite equipment may be used too), VCR (video cassette recorder - archaic thing used to play magnetic tapes holding AV stuff), CD (compact disc) player, and other appropriate entertainment devices) so you can magically store them out of sight in a cupboard or other suitably well-ventilated location but still be able to use your remotes.

I recommend not storing your TV out of sight, it does defeat the object somewhat.

Roomba - robotic hoover. In theory they're great as you can set it to come on automatically and they go under the furniture as long as it's not too low, in practise they scare the cat and visiting small children.

Both of these things are gadgets.

Ooooooooooh Kindle and ice-cream maker - likin' the sound of both of those a lot :D
Charlie Reams wrote:I quite like my computer
Future boi :twisted: They'll never catch on!
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Karen Pearson wrote:The Kindle is great because you can get masses of free books for it, particularly the classics, so, as part of my quiz training, I am reading loads of things I should have read years ago.
Just to provide some balance, my Kindle has sat basically unused since I bought it six months ago. The screen is too small to read papers (which is what I wanted it for originally) and it's sufficiently big and heavy that there's never been an occasion when it was more convenient than just taking a book.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:The Kindle is great because you can get masses of free books for it, particularly the classics, so, as part of my quiz training, I am reading loads of things I should have read years ago.
Just to provide some balance, my Kindle has sat basically unused since I bought it six months ago. The screen is too small to read papers (which is what I wanted it for originally) and it's sufficiently big and heavy that there's never been an occasion when it was more convenient than just taking a book.
Beauty is so definitely in the eye of the beholderm isn't it? I find the Kindle a lot smaller and lighter than most of the books I read and, when I use it at the gym, I don't have to hold the pages open. However, I can see you point about trying to read newspapers on it (not something I've ever thought about doing).

Anyway, Charlie, how much do you want for it if you're thinking of getting rid of it? James would like one now that I've got one.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Can't really see the appeal of the Kindle personally, but I do like the way it looks like paper. The first time I saw one on the train I thought the person was sitting there reading some sort of packaging insert that demonstrated what it would look like when switched on.

Recently got a Game Boy Advance emulator on my HTC Desire HD Phone. It's pretty awesome. I've always had the worst phone out of my friends, but now I've got the best one. It's a great gadget because it means that, whilst travelling, rather than broadening my horizons with amazing novels, getting inside the greatest minds of any age through their literary output or losing myself in one of Mozart's exquisite concertos, I can play Pokemon instead.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I wouldn't buy a Kindle on the basis of their stupid adverts where they say "only" £847596843758. There's nothing only about that! Just say the price and be done with it!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The best and only good thing about the Kindle is the song on the advert.

Edit: Oh, and the fact it has an anagram.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ryan Taylor wrote:The best and only good thing about the Kindle is the song on the advert.

LINKED
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:The best and only good thing about the Kindle is the song on the advert.

LINKED
Wrong! It's DELINK.