Ghosts?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Re: Ghosts?

Post by George Jenkins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I met someone like that before and he's currently eating mushrooms in a Belgian forest if you know what I mean.
...he's a lesbian?
I never repair electrical stuff, I don't understand circuits and they can kill, so when this computer fails, I'll smash the parts and dump it. I'll buy a new one because I'm a rich Pensioner.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

You were right Phil, when you stated that stories about ghosts were claptrap. I knew that already, but I did wonder about another dimention which might exist. Roxanne's Post describing Scientific reseach and experiments, which seemed to produce the same effects that I was having in that house, has convinced me that it was purely electrical effects.This was the information that I was seeking, and I wish we'd had that knowledge years ago. I wouldn't have wondered about that house all these years.
I've enjoyed this lively little debate, and appreciate that old rigid minded people must be put in their place, and I certainly know my place. I'm looking foreward to an early night instead of typing at 03.30 in the morning.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

George Jenkins wrote: ... old rigid minded people must be put in their place ...
I consider that old people have earned the right to do what they want, where they want, when they want. Personally, I only post comments at 3.30am when I can't sleep, but I have every intention of continuing to do so.

BTW, your green glow story is fascinating and I wish we had more details. Is it conceivable that somebody was actively trying to scare you out of that house? Was anybody trying to buy it or acquire the land?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jon Corby wrote: "I've learnt never to trust the experts" has to be one of the most idiotic statements ever.
Oh I dunno, how many things get "demonstrated" or even "proven" and then a new scientific study shows the exact opposite six months later. I suppose the "never" bit is the idiotic part though.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: "I've learnt never to trust the experts" has to be one of the most idiotic statements ever.
Oh I dunno, how many things get "demonstrated" or even "proven" and then a new scientific study shows the exact opposite six months later. I suppose the "never" bit is the idiotic part though.
Like induction, you mean?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

George Jenkins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Lesley Jones wrote:Jon, did your contribution have to be so curt? :|

... Yes, the years have past by so it's vague, but at the time... erm, can't really think of a good example... perhaps was as real to me as you being on Countdown with Charlie recently was to you. If I told you it didn't really happen you'd find it hard to believe as you remember it so clearly - you'd swear blind it happened because it did happen just as you recall.
Yes, it's an awful example, because there is plenty of verifiable proof that it all happened as I remember it. Odd stuff happens all the time. You think "I thought I saw something then. How did that get there? Why did that happen?" etc, which is all fine. While there are ultimately reasons for everything that happens, you can't always explain them because you're not always in possession of the full facts. Cool. Nothing wrong with that. It's when people then take these oddities and say "OMG! PROOF OF GHOSTS!" (which you effectively did in your first post) that they need a slap around the face to bring them back to their senses. My "curt contribution" is the cyber equivalent of this :)
Well lads and lassies; I didn't realise the extent of the controversy I would cause when I referred to phil's statement that stories of ghosts were claptrap. All I did was to ask for explanations for the very real experiences that three families had in Selwyns. I didn't expect the occasional bad temper and insults, but I hasten to add that I wasn't offended. I am tolerant of young people, possibly still going to school or university, and probably never done a day's work in their lives. I thought it sad when my lack of education and ability to talk "proper" was broadcast to the World. It doesn't effect me in the slightest, but it did show up the author's lack of manners and good breeding. This has happened twice since I joined this Forum. I have really enjoyed the arguments, but there is not the ghost of a chance that I would change my story about Selwyns. Sorry about that little dig. (No I'm not)
Blimey... you've got so many chips on your shoulder you could start your own fish 'n' chip shop! Have you ever considered that things like your "lack of education" are an issue to you, but nobody else cares that much? A piece of paper showing you can write some 3000 word essays means very little to me; knowing some who can make me laugh and keep a good conversation going for hours, that matters.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I think Charlie is being a bit harsh but what's new there.
He can be a bit of a git - I think the best solution would be for one person who is definitely even more of a git to set up their own rival forum to take over. It's worked before!
This is pure genius.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I think Charlie is being a bit harsh but what's new there.
No I think he's sticking to his guns which seems fair. I know I have upset people the same way by just arguing my point until at least the other person agreed what I said made sense, even if it wasn't actually true. Taking this sort of thing personally when it's not is usual what someone does when they can't win the argument.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Martin and Jon, I despair of your trust in human nature. an expert as I understand it is a person who is skilled at his or her job. I can only relate my experience (which has got me into a lot of trouble on this Forum lately) of places where I have been called in to repair work done by cowboys masquerading as qualified plumbers. What would you think if you were shown into a bedroom with a beatiful wall to wall carpet and directed to the airing cupboard, the door of which was half open. you walked to the cupboard and the lake you were walking through was splashing over your slippers. (I always changed into slippers), you wouldn't think it would get worse would you? but it could. you find that cupboard door won't shut because the cold water feed to the bottom of the new hot water cylinder was sticking outside of the airing cupboard, and then went back in again. the new piece of pipe from the cylinder was 22m and had to be connected to the old 3/4 inch pipe. they used a 22m connector which couldn't be tightened on the 3/4 pipe, so they filled it with solder, turned the water on, left the bill for the work and left. And that's where I came in. Of course, on my advice they didn't pay the experts.
I'll give you one more example out of dozens in my twenty years of plumbing. I was called to a house that had hot water problems. They had a small back boiler which kept on banging when alight.They'd asked the Council for advice and the Council sent an Expert. He told them they needed a new indirect hot water cylinder. So they got experts in who advertised in the yellow pages. they installed a new cylinder, and also the small feed tank in the loft, got paid and left. the man lit the little boiler and it went BANG, and that's where I come in.

I disconnected the boiler and showed it to the man. it was solid chalk inside, as were the pipes. I took it home and it took four days to descale, reinstalled it, piped up. lit up and in thirty minutes we had piping hot water.
These cowboys operate in every industry that provide a service, so beware. I would of course trust a man who taught me plumbing, because I knew him. I trusted the men who reclad the roof of my kitchen extention because I'd watched them work, and I bet that if you lads get swindled by a con man, you'll remember me
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Well I was actually agreeing with you, albeit only partially. I think Charlie's point about actually reading our posts before replying is pretty valid here.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I wish every post were as vivid and interesting as every George Jenkins post. This has been a good thread.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

There was an Einstein quote that said "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." I think that's basically what George is trying to say.

I don't think Einstein always gets enough credit for being a damn good moral /scientific philosopher.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I wish every post were as vivid and interesting as every George Jenkins post. This has been a good thread.
Sorry about the delay to the cheque Jon, I've forgotten how much we agreed on.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Martin Gardner wrote:There was an Einstein quote that said "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." I think that's basically what George is trying to say.

I don't think Einstein always gets enough credit for being a damn good moral /scientific philosopher.
Martin, sorry for this late answer to your post of the 20th.
It was that big bully Jon who highlighted my lack of education, and all I did was to answer him. He then spoilt it by making me laugh. Education is a wonderful thing, and I have learnt not to be so touchy in future. I am no longer a grumpy old man, and from now on I promise to be nice to people.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

George Jenkins wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:There was an Einstein quote that said "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." I think that's basically what George is trying to say.

It was that big bully Jon who highlighted my lack of education, and all I did was to answer him. He then spoilt it by making me laugh. Education is a wonderful thing, and I have learnt not to be so touchy in future. I am no longer a grumpy old man, and from now on I promise to be nice to people.
Do you ever post anything about the game show Countdown? I can't think of an example.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote: Do you ever post anything about the game show Countdown? I can't think of an example.
This is the off-topic ghost thread, Martin, so I don't blame him.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote: Do you ever post anything about the game show Countdown? I can't think of an example.
This is the off-topic ghost thread, Martin, so I don't blame him.
Yeah but I mean on any thread. And it wasn't a piss-take either.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Martin Gardner wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:

Do you ever post anything about the game show Countdown? I can't think of an example.
I hope that you are talking to me Martin, sometimes I can't sort these blocks of posts out.
Actually, I have just posted one on the Countdown audience question. I'm relieved to say that I did that just before I read your post here. Before I discovered your forum, I wrote a long letter of complaint to the Official Countdown forum. I accused their set designers of being completely lacking in the rules of colour harmony. I explained rules regarding the mixing of primary and complimentary colours and the effects thereof. I told them that the Countdown set was no longer comfortable to watch, and when people get irritated with a programme like that, it effects their concentration on the game, and they will just switch off. This was proved to me in my own home when my Wife said that she is unable to watch it any longer, and she is a fanatic about Countdown. I also predict that that my complaint will be ignored, with the hope that people will just get used to the hideous set. I am an artist and I know about colour harmony, and I forgot to add that fact to the list of many skills of which I am an expert. My main drawback is my sense of modesty which I hope to conquer and then I will be perfect.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Holy freaking shit.

Looks like we were wrong that there was no such thing. Unless somebody has an explanation for this?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

That's one of the lamest things I've ever seen. The following video of the house that looks like Hitler is quality though. As for ghosts, according to Professor Brian Cox our current understanding of the laws of thermodynamics means there's no afterlife.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark James wrote:That's one of the lamest things I've ever seen.
And yet, tellingly, you've been an unable to offer an alternative for the frankly incredible phenomenon clearly caught on camera.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Seems like this topic isn't the only thing that's come back from the dead!!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

String?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:String?
String theory does allow for (and perhaps even proves) the existence ghosts I think, yes. Alec Rivers told me.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

I don't believe in ghosts but when someone tells me a freaky story about ghosts - which one of my classmates who is evil but in a funny way told me - I get quite freaked out. Now people are saying that there are ghosts in the toilets, only in the middle one, and that it only comes out when the lights are off. Freaky - even though I don't actually believe in ghosts! Anyway, what could they do to you if you actually saw one (apart from freak you out)? :|
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Meh, you're safe enough. Derek Acorah's confirmed it's some geezer, which makes it certified wank in my book.

Edit: Looking at this subtle little piece how the Dickens are they telling stuff's moved anyway? Sure it's not a rat?
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Meh, you're safe enough. Derek Acorah's confirmed it's some geezer, which makes it certified wank in my book.

Edit: Looking at this subtle little piece how the Dickens are they telling stuff's moved anyway? Sure it's not a rat?
I don't think she is making this up because obviously you know you are going to get a lot of stick from the many people with closed minds out there. Sounds more like a demon than a poltergeist, If it is attacking the pets, the next step will be the children. She needs to move out immediately, until a catholic priest can perform a blessing.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:Meh, you're safe enough. Derek Acorah's confirmed it's some geezer, which makes it certified wank in my book.

I don't think she is making this up because obviously you know you are going to get a lot of stick from the many people with closed minds out there. Sounds more like a demon than a poltergeist, If it is attacking the pets, the next step will be the children. She needs to move out immediately, until a catholic priest can perform a blessing.
I think if anything it's more likely to be a black withcraft curse. Clearly the only thing that will sort this out is if they dance on the lawn skyclad at midnight when there's a full moon, chanting Wiccan incantations and burning patchouli. They can designate what's left of the dog as their familiar.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Lesley Hines wrote:I think if anything it's more likely to be a black withcraft curse.
It must be a truly awesome curse if it made them cut out whatever happened in the middle.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:I think if anything it's more likely to be a black withcraft curse.
It must be a truly awesome curse if it made them cut out whatever happened in the middle.
***LIKE***
I wondered what happened in the middle bit too :lol:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

This post has been deliberately left blank.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I CAN'T EEBVEN BE ARSE TO READ ANYTHING RIGH NOW BUT I THINK THIS IS ERHAPS AN INTEREXTING THREAD. I AM GOING OT READ EVRY NEW TIPIC IN THE MORNING AND THE COMMENT IN A MUCH MORE PROPER MANNER,
Messages from beyond the grave?

Of course, the truly sinister thing about this particular story is that a ghost didn't kill their dog. :shock:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

I think if anything it's more likely to be a black withcraft curse. Clearly the only thing that will sort this out is if they dance on the lawn skyclad at midnight when there's a full moon, chanting Wiccan incantations and burning patchouli. They can designate what's left of the dog as their familiar.
Snorted my tea reading this :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Can't believe you quoted me you cunt.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Soph K wrote:I don't believe in ghosts but when someone tells me a freaky story about ghosts - which one of my classmates who is evil but in a funny way told me - I get quite freaked out. Now people are saying that there are ghosts in the toilets, only in the middle one, and that it only comes out when the lights are off. Freaky - even though I don't actually believe in ghosts! Anyway, what could they do to you if you actually saw one (apart from freak you out)? :|
AND my friends said they heard a noise as if the toilet seat was moving up and down (by itself) and there was no one in there, the lights were turned off, and it couldn't have been a prank because everyone was in class!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Soph K wrote: it couldn't have been a prank because everyone was in class!
The person who first said they heard it must have been there. And could have been lying.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Soph K wrote: it couldn't have been a prank because everyone was in class!
The person who first said they heard it must have been there. And could have been lying.
Oh yeah! Why didn't I think of that?!? :lol: :oops: :lol: :roll: :lol:
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I have only just read this thread and see I was brought into it about a fortnight ago.

I refer to the disclaimer at the start of the Michael Jackson Thriller video to which I concur.

And for the record, I do not belive in ghosts.

Signed
Chris Corby (1947-2006)