Celebrity pairs

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Celebrity pairs

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Celebrities whose names are quite similar and people who don't know them might think they're just one person if they never hear both names too close together. E.g.

Rod Hull/Roy Hudd
Leonard Nimoy/Derek Nimmo
Bernard Matthews/Bernard Manning

I'll think of some more later.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Re: Celebrity pairs

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'm not sure that "celebrity" is entirely the right word, but it would be easy to mistake famous criminals/prisoners Charles Bronson and Charles Manson. The fact that the former shares his name with a famous actor merely adds to the confusion.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yes yes yes Matt! I do that one. Thanks.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I often confuse Harper Lee and Ken Kesey. That is to say that if asked to name the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest my brain always thinks "Harper Lee, wait no shit it's the other one". I also used to think Harper Lee was a man for quite a while.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I used to be surprsied that Gwyneth Paltrow didn't look like Phoebe from Friends (Lisa Kudrow) when she appeared in films and stuff.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I also used to think Harper Lee was a man for quite a while.
I also assumed same with George Eliot.

EDIT: There's another one for you Phil.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Tommy Lee and Tommy Lee Jones.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I always thought the Olsen twins were one person when I used to watch Full House.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I regularly get confused between all the various ex-members of bubblegum pop bands who have "Lee" in their names: Jon Lee, Lee Latchford-Evans, Lisa Scott-Lee etc.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Shaun Wallace (ex-Mastermind champ and one of the Chasers in The Chase) and Shaun Williamson (Barry off of Eastenders). At least, I've got their surnames the wrong way round more than once when talking about them recently (I don't think it helped that Shaun Williamson also won Celebrity Mastermind when he was on a few years back).
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

My Dad gets confused between Michael Essien and Man City sponsors Etihad Airways. He calls him Michael Etien. He also calls Patrice Evra Everett which makes me think of Kenny Everett. And he thinks Aiden McGeady is Aiden McGreedy. And not in a comedy way of suggesting he's a selfish player, just in a can't be arsed to learn how to pronounce peoples names way.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Emma Thompson and Emma Watson. This troubles me to the extent that I've been trying to think of Emma Thompson's name since the OP was posted.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The Chaser, Anne Hegarty and apteforumite Shaun Hegarty.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Just realised that What a Wonderful World and We Have All the Time in the World by Louis Armstrong are two songs. This thread will do.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Not so much celebrities as groups thereof, but U2 and The Who have similar names, and I sometimes embarrass myself by referring to one when I mean the other (especially after hearing one of their songs and saying "Hey, that's by _______!"). Same with Bon Jovi and Billy Joel.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This thread and the apterite lookalikes thread.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

When I was a young, idiotic boy, I was convinced that the BBC Six o Clock News reader Nicholas Witchell was actually the first man on the moon Neil Armstrong, and that the actor Peter Sellars was actually Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, based solely off of this stamp. (Collected stamps as a boy and remember how happy I was to have my first ever Iraqi stamp. I distinctly remember my dad doggedly trying to break the news to me, then giving up and backing down. A young, idiotic, stubborn boy.)
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I often confuse Harper Lee and Ken Kesey. That is to say that if asked to name the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest my brain always thinks "Harper Lee, wait no shit it's the other one". I also used to think Harper Lee was a man for quite a while.
Relatedly, I can never remember which is which out of To Kill A Mocking Bird and The Catcher in the Rye. Even when one of them is rubbish.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles