Countdowners with Toasters

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Countdowners with Toasters

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Toasties on a George's Foreskin are lovely, yeah.
I like to put loads of cheese in though, and then I get really pissed off when you leave it just a bit too long and it makes a real bad fucking mess. Plus sometimes the bread sticks to the grill (even when using loads of butter on the outside).
The Breville toastie maker (other makes are available) wins here because it crimps the edges nicely. And those crispy edges are quite nice too. Actually I might buy a sandwich toaster, I don't eat as many toasties as I should because of these minor hassles.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Soph K wrote:What do you all like on your toast? I like it either: plain, butter/margarine, jam. Probably some more things that I haven't tried.
Peanut butter, applied liberally. Grated cheese, toasted or untoasted. Scrambled eggs. Beans. Fried egg. Beans and cheese. Sliced cheese.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

You butter the toast, obv, and put mustard in, obv,
Does obv mean obviously?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I had boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast this morning for the first time in ages. Nasty cheap white bread and everything. Awesome.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Soph K wrote:
You butter the toast, obv, and put mustard in, obv,
Does obv mean obviously?
obv
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Toasties on a George's Foreskin are lovely, yeah.
I like to put loads of cheese in though, and then I get really pissed off when you leave it just a bit too long and it makes a real bad fucking mess. Plus sometimes the bread sticks to the grill (even when using loads of butter on the outside).
The Breville toastie maker (other makes are available) wins here because it crimps the edges nicely. And those crispy edges are quite nice too. Actually I might buy a sandwich toaster, I don't eat as many toasties as I should because of these minor hassles.
Having both though is a bit like those people who have an iPhone and an iPod Touch. Or they've made the mistake of falling into the Blackberry trap, and need an iPod Touch to go with it. Excessive devices. Too many plugs. Cluttered bottom cupboards.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:My missus often toasts the bread when she has a bacon sandwich, it repulses me. SO DRY!
Haven't you ever heard of ketchup or brown sauce? You're a moron. Do you think breadsticks are too dry? How about Weetabix?
Yeah, but sauce can only combat the dryness so far. Two slices of toast on top of each other is pretty fucking dry regardless of what you put in the middle. Toasties get away with this because they compact the bread down so it's much thinner, plus the filling is very gooey and will often release juices during cooking which seep into the bread.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:I had boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast this morning for the first time in ages. Nasty cheap white bread and everything. Awesome.
Whenever someone mentions boiled eggs and soldiers I want some so bad. The shell is a hassle, but ultimately worth it.

How do you keep your soldiers evenly egged? I always have significantly more egg on my first soldier than my last.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:My missus often toasts the bread when she has a bacon sandwich, it repulses me. SO DRY!
Haven't you ever heard of ketchup or brown sauce? You're a moron. Do you think breadsticks are too dry? How about Weetabix?
Yeah, but sauce can only combat the dryness so far. Two slices of toast on top of each other is pretty fucking dry regardless of what you put in the middle. Toasties get away with this because they compact the bread down so it's much thinner, plus the filling is very gooey and will often release juices during cooking which seep into the bread.
You sound like the sort of person who doesn't finish their crusts. And I use the word 'person' generously, as I consider such 'people' sub-human.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Soph K wrote:What do you all like on your toast? I like it either: plain, butter/margarine, jam. Probably some more things that I haven't tried.
Peanut butter, applied liberally. Grated cheese, toasted or untoasted. Scrambled eggs. Beans. Fried egg. Beans and cheese. Sliced cheese.
I like cheese and scrambled eggs, but I have tried neither of them on toast. Beans are ok, although they make you fart. Not very keen on fried eggs (isn't fried egg basically omelette?).
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

You sound like the sort of person who doesn't finish their crusts.
I am not too keen on crusts. Do you not like me now? :lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Having both though is a bit like those people who have an iPhone and an iPod Touch. Or they've made the mistake of falling into the Blackberry trap, and need an iPod Touch to go with it. Excessive devices. Too many plugs. Cluttered bottom cupboards.
Thinking about it, I only actually use the George Formby for cooking sausages and the occasional toastie. If I had a toastie maker I'd just need to switch my method of sausage cooking and I'm all set, and cupboard space is pretty much unchanged. I might do this, as the Formby is getting a bit knackered, non-stick going slightly and seems to not be as hot anymore. Plus the little rubber feet have fallen off three of the four legs, so it slides around a bit, often with fat-spilling consequences.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Soph K wrote:
You sound like the sort of person who doesn't finish their crusts.
I am not too keen on crusts. Do you not like me now? :lol:
You're young.. you can change. Corby is too far gone.
Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Having both though is a bit like those people who have an iPhone and an iPod Touch. Or they've made the mistake of falling into the Blackberry trap, and need an iPod Touch to go with it. Excessive devices. Too many plugs. Cluttered bottom cupboards.
Thinking about it, I only actually use the George Formby for cooking sausages and the occasional toastie. If I had a toastie maker I'd just need to switch my method of sausage cooking and I'm all set, and cupboard space is pretty much unchanged. I might do this, as the Formby is getting a bit knackered, non-stick going slightly and seems to not be as hot anymore. Plus the little rubber feet have fallen off three of the four legs, so it slides around a bit, often with fat-spilling consequences.
Glad I was able to bring on this cathartic moment.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Soph K wrote:I like cheese and scrambled eggs, but I have tried neither of them on toast.
Incredible.
Soph K wrote:(isn't fried egg basically omelette?)
No. Scrambled egg is much more similar to omelette than fried.

Poached eggs rock as well. Poached eggs on cheese on toast = win.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Whenever someone mentions boiled eggs and soldiers I want some so bad.
BOILED EGGS AND SOLDIERS!
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon Corby wrote:
Soph K wrote:I like cheese and scrambled eggs, but I have tried neither of them on toast.
Incredible.
Soph K wrote:(isn't fried egg basically omelette?)
No. Scrambled egg is much more similar to omelette than fried.

Poached eggs rock as well. Poached eggs on cheese on toast = win.
OH I REALLY LIKE POACHED EGGS. Again, I haven't tried any on toast though!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:You sound like the sort of person who doesn't finish their crusts. And I use the word 'person' generously, as I consider such 'people' sub-human.
Nah, I like crusts fine. I am sub-human though. Sub-human scum.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This has kicked off. Too much to reply to. I just recall two things -

Ryan - you WILL fuck your toaster making toasties like that. Seen it done plenty of times by stooooodents. Guess why those toaster bags were invented.
Jon - the toaster bags work surprisingly well. The bags aren't so massive that they will fill the whole toaster slot, they will just be perfect for a couple of slices and a decent filling, and it's always a tight (but comfortable) fit and everything holds together nicely. In fact, they even err on the side of being slightly too small and recommend you squash the sandwich together before you pop it in the bag to begin with. When is your birthday?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Nah I've done it before without any toastie bags. Just put the full thing in (has to be like thin bread of course) and the filling in the middle. I did it with cheese at the time and it made the bottom of the toaster pretty messy but the end result was fricking sweet.
Do this on setting 5 and report back pls
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

This is how burnt I like my toast. Yous?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I had boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast this morning for the first time in ages. Nasty cheap white bread and everything. Awesome.
Whenever someone mentions boiled eggs and soldiers I want some so bad. The shell is a hassle, but ultimately worth it.

How do you keep your soldiers evenly egged? I always have significantly more egg on my first soldier than my last.
Doesn't really bother me. I find that I get fairly consistent egginess because you can't over-egg your first soldier without the yolk spilling over the side. The tricky bit is making it so you don't run out of soldiers or end up with too many leftover soldiers (one or two is ok, but if you have three or more that's a bit of a disaster).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Soph K wrote:I've only ever heard of anchovies. Never knew there was such thing as anchovy paste.
Anchovy paste is a paste made from anchovies.

Anchovy is such an awesome word, as well as being delicious.
I just threw up on my keyboard at the idea of such a monstrosity as anchovy paste.
Anyone read the Profanisaurus?

As for toasters, ours has settings from 0-5 (not sure of the purpose of the 0 setting), but anything more than about 2.8 is burnt, especially if it's not the first slice. Strange indeed.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Image

This is how burnt I like my toast. Yous?
NO WAY!
On my toaster, I do it on number 1 - basically no brown bits on it, a bit firm and warm.
Don't like cold toast.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:NO WAY!
On my toaster, I do it on number 1 - basically no brown bits on it, a bit firm and warm.
Don't like cold toast.
I go to number 2 usually as I also don't so much enjoy toast toast but more warm bread being very lughtly toasted.

And can I just say that Jono you have the best taste in toppings on toast.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't like my toast at all burnt. Jono, that burnt mess would find itself with a one-way ticket to the bin if it came out of my toaster.

As for toasties/toasted sandwiches, has anyone tried one with three slices of bread, with cheese and Marmite in one compartment and a fried egg in the other (can't remember if I had Marmite here too)? That was pretty good.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Jon Corby wrote: You just made me think, and I remembered that anchovy paste is amazing on toast. Haven't had any for years though, I'll have to buy some now. Can you still buy Shippam's pastes?
Although I've not seen them i supermarkets for yonks. you can still get them here:
http://www.amazon.com/Shippams-Crab-Pas ... B001POMAZI

The best anchovy paste is Gentleman's relish - but it doesn't come cheap :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Peter Mabey wrote:The best anchovy paste is Gentleman's relish
On that basis you'd probably enjoy this recipe book.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Soph K wrote:
I didn't know that ANCHOVY PASTE is made from ANCHOVIES!!! WOW!!! lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know I'll sond like an idiot but what are anchovies? All I know is that they can be on pizzas.
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I've never really understood people just having butter on toast. I don't have butter anyway, but just butter seems a bit weird. Butter is just the pre-topping. It doesn't count itself. It would be like if there was this stuff you put on a wheel before putting a tyre on to help it stay on or something (maybe there is such a thing), and you put that on but then don't bother with the actual tyre.
Great analogy. Butter on toast is fine and tastes good, surely you've just had butter on bread before without a proper filling?

Edit: Bread on butter, butter on bread. What's the difference?
I've never had butter on bread - that would be even worse.

Anyway, why didn't I think of inner tubes? Having butter on bread/toast without anything else is like cycling on inner tubes with no tyres. I'm sure you can now picture just how mental it is.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:
Soph K wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know I'll sond like an idiot but what are anchovies? All I know is that they can be on pizzas.
fish... and, to me, they taste sour. its weird because i kinda like the taste but they are too sour so i dont like them....
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Bread on butter, butter on bread. What's the difference?
butter on bread is where, say, you put a piece of bread on a plate then put butter onto it. bread on butter is the opposite; you put butter on a plate then put bread on top of that... isn't it obvious?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

quote="Soph K"]
Thomas Carey wrote:
Soph K wrote:
fish... and, to me, they taste sour. its weird because i kinda like the taste but they are too sour so i dont like them....[/quote]

Thanks.
cheers maus