Countdown Chiefs plan 'reality show'

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Countdown Chiefs plan 'reality show'

Post by Mike Brailsford »

From Digital Spy / Daily Star

Countdown chiefs are considering launching a reality TV show to find Carol Vorderman's replacement, according to a report.

Vorderman quit as the show's co-host last month after producers told her to take a 90% pay cut or stand down.

Myleene Klass, Anthea Turner and Ulrika Jonsson have all been tipped to take over from Carol. However, there are now claims that executives are searching for a fresh face.

An insider told the Daily Star Sunday: "The big idea being bandied around at the moment is the reality TV show. It would be based on TV talent show searches like the BBC did to find an actress to play Maria in The Sound Of Music.

"There are a number of Channel 4 executives who are keen on the idea. But there is a fear that some stuffy viewers may not like it."
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Re: Countdown Chiefs plan 'reality show'

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I hate reality shows. Not mad on Anthea or Ulrika.

Opinions please !
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Daily Star wrote:But there is a fear that some stuffy viewers may not like it.
mikebuk wrote:I hate reality shows.
Go figure.

I would like to see this.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Well if it was in the Daily Star, it must be gospel.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I really, really want this to happen, it has the potential to be awesomely funny, especially if it goes a bit wrong. Also, Damian could be on it, playing the Simon Cowell role.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

jimbentley wrote:I really, really want this to happen, it has the potential to be awesomely funny, especially if it goes a bit wrong. Also, Damian could be on it, playing the Simon Cowell role.
That alone would be worth making a DVD of.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So I imagine they'll be auditioning up and down the country. The hopefuls will go in front of the three judges and have to solve a numbers game. They will show the really dreadful ones (like not being able to make 200 when there is a 100 and a 2) as well as one or two that have a sob story to make up for being only average. After several weeks they will get down to the final 10 and they'll drag it out by getting rid of just one each week. Sounds brilliant.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

This would be amusing, but I can't really imagine how it'd work. It's not like a music talent show where you can have people singing a song each every week. Would we have show after show of people just doing lots of number games? That ain't going to make great telly.

(well, it'd make thoroughly enjoyable TV for me, but I can't imagine that many people are as interested in watching people do mental arithmetic)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I quite thought that this thread was a wind up when I read it yesterday, but I've now seen the proposal elsewhere; for example, Yahoo have it on their home page.

I can't see that a reality show such as this will make for good viewing, and I certainly don't think it will result in the right person for the job.
alanpaterson1964

Post by alanpaterson1964 »

Assuming they were planning to do it as a Countdown show - i don't think it would work

Let's face it - some of the number's games just can't be done exactly or even with 5 - so would someone be failed for not being able to do it. They could of course use reruns of old shows - but you then run the risk of people having seen them before and answering them from memory rather than from brain power giving an inaccurate result.

Let's look at the evidence - Des doesn't want to do it anymore - fine, thanks for the time you've been with the show - bye

Carol doesn't want to take a pay cut. Then how about this - Since Carol has been running the show recently - doing the intro for dictionary corner etc. give the show to Carol, thus saving on Des's salary and negotiate a compromise salary for Ms Vorderman. As to Des's replacement - why are the media concentrating on the likes of Michael Aspel - give it to someone younger (like me) -
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

alanpaterson1964 wrote:Let's face it - some of the number's games just can't be done exactly or even with 5 - so would someone be failed for not being able to do it. They could of course use reruns of old shows - but you then run the risk of people having seen them before and answering them from memory rather than from brain power giving an inaccurate result.
This hardly seems the most insurmountable problem with such a horrible idea for a programme!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

The rumour probably originated from some lazy hack browsing this forum anyway :)

Let's start a new one!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:The rumour probably originated from some lazy hack browsing this forum anyway :)

Let's start a new one!
I did wonder this, yeah.

<whisper>So I hear they're thinking of shifting it into a prime time slot, maybe even post watershed to free up the option of having NAKED COUNTDOWN</whisper>
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:So I hear they're thinking of shifting it into a prime time slot, maybe even post watershed to free up the option of having NAKED COUNTDOWN
It's a little known fact that, as part of my sponsorship agreement, I filmed all my shows completely naked from the waist downwards. True :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:The rumour probably originated from some lazy hack browsing this forum anyway :)

Let's start a new one!
I did wonder this, yeah.

<whisper>So I hear they're thinking of shifting it into a prime time slot, maybe even post watershed to free up the option of having NAKED COUNTDOWN</whisper>
Would be nice. Better timeslot, I mean. :P

However, for next week's repeats they appear to be going the other way, and showing the programmes even earlier than usual - at 2:45 :(
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So I hear they're thinking of shifting it into a prime time slot, maybe even post watershed to free up the option of having NAKED COUNTDOWN
It's a little known fact that, as part of my sponsorship agreement, I filmed all my shows completely naked from the waist downwards. True :)

That would explain the sense of sexual tension that always seemed to pervade your performances.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Let's start a new one!

;) I submitted this post a couple of weeks ago...
Just read this on bbc news what a surprise (to me at least). Perhaps they can have a new reality TV show on C4 as budding mathematics students battle it out to become Clive Bremner-Edmonds' new assistant
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.