CountMax errors

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: CountMax errors

Post by Jon O'Neill »

If you got a shitting dictionary yourself, you'd know why we're not 100%.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:If you got a shitting dictionary yourself, you'd know why we're not 100%.
If there's one thing I wouldn't want a dictionary to do...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

But anyway Jono is this because MORTICE is listed as a variant of MORTISE so we're left with the question of whether all the derivatives are valid? I think this is why Julian Fell didn't go for COLONISER once upon a time but I think it was confirmed as allowable. Has there not been a general ruling on this type of thing?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

All variants and their inflections are valid.

It would be insane to suggest that you could allow MORTICER but not MORTISER. I didnt realise there needed to be a general ruling, its common sense isnt it?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The reason I wasn't 100% sure is if MORTICE referred only to the noun and not the verb - a bit like PRACTICE if it weren't American. I was 95% sure, and Mike confirmed it, so I don't see where there's any contention here.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'm sure I came across a section in the Corral not long ago for submitting errors in the CountMax dictionary. I've just come across a word given by CountMax that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but now can't find the Corral section to report it. Was I simply imagining it? (Regrettably, such things do happen occasionally.) Or is this the place to mention the occasional error? I'd thought that this was simply a place for discussing CountMax.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

There is such a page on the Corral but I don't really maintain it any more and I don't think anything links to it. I think this thread is a better place to contact the relevant people.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

OK, the word the CountMax gave is BASSLINE; I don't see that in the ODE2r.

Safer to go with the more acceptable anagram, LESBIANS
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Is RAGSTONE still missing from Countmax?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

David O'Donnell wrote:Is RAGSTONE still missing from Countmax?
It's still not in the version I'm using.

The CountMax dictionary I'm using is dated 3rd Jan 08. Is there a later one I should download?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Howard Somerset wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Is RAGSTONE still missing from Countmax?
It's still not in the version I'm using.

The CountMax dictionary I'm using is dated 3rd Jan 08. Is there a later one I should download?
I think it's just missing, for some reason, from the wordlist. Or maybe it has ceased to be accepted but it did come up quite regularly in series 54 - I suppose at a push I will just stick with NEGATORS.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Howard Somerset wrote:The CountMax dictionary I'm using is dated 3rd Jan 08. Is there a later one I should download?
Yes.

Taking BASSLINE and BASSLINES out is a travesty, though. Stupid dictionary.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Did they take out GOATIER and GOATIEST from the new edition?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:Did they take out GOATIER and GOATIEST from the new edition?
Er...mmm.

Fixed now.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

jimbentley wrote:Yes.

Thanks Jim.

Following a quick count it looks like 72,159 words in all, after GOATIER and GOATIEST are removed. That's not too many to learn. :P
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think you must've typoed there, Howard, I make it 82,161 (GOATIER and GOATIEST are valid and were omitted, not the other way round.)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think you must've typoed there, Howard, I make it 82,161 (GOATIER and GOATIEST are valid and were omitted, not the other way round.)
Yep, it should now be 82,161. I've made all the changes mentioned in this thread, but I'm sure there are still plenty of errors lurking, so keep posting them as you find them, folks.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote:I think you must've typoed there, Howard, I make it 82,161 (GOATIER and GOATIEST are valid and were omitted, not the other way round.)
Not a typo, Charlie. Just incompetent addition. I've still got the sum on a scrap of paper right by me. 65536 + 16625 = 72161. Better hide that before students start coming for the next term. :oops:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:The reason I wasn't 100% sure is if MORTICE referred only to the noun and not the verb - a bit like PRACTICE if it weren't American. I was 95% sure, and Mike confirmed it, so I don't see where there's any contention here.
What does it say by its entry? Does it say "n" or "v" or just that it's an alternative spelling of MORTISE?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:What does it say by its entry? Does it say "n" or "v" or just that it's an alternative spelling of MORTISE?
Both.
ODE2r wrote:mortice noun&verb variant spelling of MORTISE
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote: Both.
My old NODE has it as noun and verb as well. In contrast GAOL is only listed as a noun so if this is the same in the current dictionary presumably you couldn't have GAOLED, GAOLING etc.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jimbentley wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:The CountMax dictionary I'm using is dated 3rd Jan 08. Is there a later one I should download?
Yes.

Thank you for posting this list Jim :).

Sorry for sounding picky, but you may want to know that you have got duplicates of the words ACARID, ALLOD, BARDEES and DIVI and you are also missing ISANGOMA. Sorry :oops:.

That therefore makes a total of 82,158 words :).
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Sorry for sounding picky, but you may want to know that you have got duplicates of the words ACARID, ALLOD, BARDEES and DIVI and you are also missing ISANGOMA. Sorry :oops:.

That therefore makes a total of 82,158 words :).
Thanks for pointing these out, Joseph (was sure I'd checked for duplicates, but these must've crept in since then). I've corrected them all now and uploaded a new file - it's 82,159 words, though, as ISANGOMAS is also valid.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I just had BOLASES disallowed and BOLAS is in as a noun [treated as sing or pl]. Hmmm
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jimbentley wrote:Thanks for pointing these out, Joseph (was sure I'd checked for duplicates, but these must've crept in since then). I've corrected them all now and uploaded a new file - it's 82,159 words, though, as ISANGOMAS is also valid.
Well, what I did was copied the word list into an Excel document (2007 version) and then highlighted all the words and you can then click on a button and it will delete all the duplicate entries for you, telling you how many entries were deleted and how many entries are left over.

Undoing the delete, you can then perform a conditional formatting, where you can highlight these duplicates and then you just scroll down until you have found them all :).
Kirk Bevins wrote:I just had BOLASES disallowed and BOLAS is in as a noun [treated as sing or pl]. Hmmm
I would like for it to be allowed :D. I would like someone to risk it on Countdown and then I can get Susie's verdict.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Charlie Reams wrote:(GOATIER and GOATIEST are valid and were omitted, not the other way round.)
GOATIER was not allowed on the show, apparently because it isn't specified in the GOATY entry.

http://thecountdowncorral.com/cd/recap.asp?recap=1242
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

That must've changed between the 2nd edition and the 2nd edition Revised.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I've just checked the ODE2r.

Page xvii states that two syllable adjectives must have the ...er and ...est forms specifically mentioned in order to be accepted, whereas one syllable adjectives have ...er and ...est forms assumed.

GOATY does not appear as a main entry in the dictionary. Under GOAT, GOATY is listed as a derivative, but the comparative and superlative forms are not listed.

Therefore, it seams that GOATIER and GOATIEST are not valid words, so should be removed from the CountMax word list
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yep. In the previous edition, GOATIER and GOATIEST are listed explicitly.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Is this the place for mass noun arguments? DOLOMITES - yay or nay?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Or how about TYMPANIES?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:Or how about TYMPANIES?
Has been allowed on the show hasn't it? (Or at least given by DC)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes, although I think Damian later said that it was a mistake.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

PRONER and PRONEST should be in.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:PRONER and PRONEST should be in.
Yes - the Coundown rules do make for some odd-sounding allowable words :)
If an adjective is a single syllable, then the '..ER' comparative and '..EST' superlative are allowed, even if they're not specified in the dictionary.
Hence, e.g. BADDER and BADDEST and GOODER and GOODEST are perfectly acceptable. :o

The mass noun one is tricky. Susie Dent usually says a plural of a mass noun is allowable if it's countable, but whether a mass noun is countable or not is not always obvious - not to me, anyway. :?

Wow! Going through the dictionary to find all the allowable words - that's real Countdown dedication. :!:

Julie
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Julie T wrote:
Yes - the Coundown rules do make for some odd-sounding allowable words :)
If an adjective is a single syllable, then the '..ER' comparative and '..EST' superlative are allowed, even if they're not specified in the dictionary.
Hence, e.g. BADDER and BADDEST and GOODER and GOODEST are perfectly acceptable. :o
Woah, steady on there! I think BADDER and BADDEST would be allowed anyway as I imagine they would be listed as they are quite common in slang usage. But not GOODER and GOODEST. I think one syllable adjectives are fine to stick ER and EST on the end if nothing else is specified but if a specific comparative and superlative are listed (so BETTER AND BEST), then I think these can probably be considered to be instead of, not as well as.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Au contraire my chipper friend. The show before my debut DC came up with the word GOODLY. On your basis it should be disallowed as nobody in their right mind says they did GOODLY. They say they did WELL. However it was allowed, and on the same basis GOODER and GOODEST should be as well.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Au contraire my chipper friend. The show before my debut DC came up with the word GOODLY. On your basis it should be disallowed as nobody in their right mind says they did GOODLY. They say they did WELL. However it was allowed, and on the same basis GOODER and GOODEST should be as well.
You're all kinds of wrong there my chemical chum...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Au contraire my chipper friend. The show before my debut DC came up with the word GOODLY. On your basis it should be disallowed as nobody in their right mind says they did GOODLY. They say they did WELL. However it was allowed, and on the same basis GOODER and GOODEST should be as well.
Next to GOOD it says BETTER and BEST, which are the comparative and superlative. It doesn't say anywhere in the dictionary that there can only be one comparative and superlative for each adjective, but I'm fairly sure that is what is meant. You would be hard-pressed arguing for GOODER and GOODEST to be accepted.

GOODLY has its own entry.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:You're all kinds of wrong there my chemical chum...
:( Now I feel like a right piece of neodymium
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

There seems to be some disagreement here!
Maybe Damian knows what the ruling on single syllable adjectives with comparatives and superlatives already specified?
IIRC Susie Dent has made this ruling a few times, though I can't remember the specifics.
Of course, it would be great if she were a member of this forum, then we could ask her.
Unfortunately, she's probably far too busy, what with working in Dictionary Corner and being a new mum.
The rules laid out clearly on the Channel 4 website would be a good compromise, but I suppose there's only a few of us who are that bothered, and they'd probably still be open to interpretation anyway.
Last edited by Julie T on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Is this saying that the words are allowed and have to be added to the dictionary or is this saying that these words should be acceptable but are not allowed?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I just had HUMOUS disallowed - could this be added to the dictionary as it's in the ODE.

Edit: And me and Paul both had DECLASSING disallowed in hypercountdown.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I just had HUMOUS disallowed - could this be added to the dictionary as it's in the ODE.

Edit: And me and Paul both had DECLASSING disallowed in hypercountdown.
Just looked this one up out of curiosity...

Curiously, the NODE and ODE2 both give HUMMUS, HOUMMOS and HUMOUS as being acceptable; ODE2r states that only HUMMUS and the new variant HOUMOUS are O.K. (so it looks like JimDic is up to date)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Is CHHAAP really a word? It's in Countmax, but not the shorter ODE, and a quick google reveals some people with this surname but no hint of a definition.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Is CHHAAP really a word? It's in Countmax, but not the shorter ODE, and a quick google reveals some people with this surname but no hint of a definition.
Just double-checked the ODE2r and CHHAAP is there, as a variant spelling of the word CHAAP. CHAAP is an official seal or stamp, used to approve or authenticate a permit or similar document.

EDIT: Whilst on the subject of unusual words in the dictionary, there is a word called GRRRL which is a young woman, regarded as independent and strong or aggressive, especially in her attitude to men or in her sexuality.

I also assume you can pluralise this to have GRRRLS and I am pretty certain that these and BRRR are the only words allowed on countdown that are spelt with three of the same letter consecutively.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Joseph Bolas wrote: Just double-checked the ODE2r and CHHAAP is there, as a variant spelling of the word CHAAP. CHAAP is an official seal or stamp, used to approve or authenticate a permit or similar document.
Thanks Joseph, I'll endeavour to use this ludicrous word in everyday conversation.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I had a similar reaction to the word WAREHOU which looked to me like someone had been interrupted while typing warehouse.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:I had a similar reaction to the word WAREHOU which looked to me like someone had been interrupted while typing warehouse.
I honestly thought you were making this up, but it is a marine fish of Australian coastal waters.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

GENOCIDES should be added to Countmax. I know it's a mass noun but if you look on page xii - it specifically mentions GENOCIDES is allowable. I haven't gone through the rest so there may be more. LAMBINGS as well needs to be added.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

We had an interesting debate on one syllable adjectives when a player had RIGHTEST disallowed and was later invited back to the show as a challenger again, but still lost (I think).

Another one that's allowed in Scrabble is MAINEST* which is the sort of word you'd never use in real life, but should be allowed. However you'd never actually need to play the word as it's the anagram of INMATES. I've been thinking a bit recently about words you never need to play, I reckon a large proportion of the dictionary, you'd never need to play the word as there is either an anagram or there's always a longer/equal length word. There are three categories of words I've come up with:

1) Words that have anagrams like NEGATORS / RAGSTONE where you only need to know one of them (AEINRST gives 7 words, for example)
2) Words that are never the longest like TIMERS (MAESTRI, METIERS, MISTIER, MOISTER, MUSTIER)
3)Words like timers that do not always give one letter longer but always give at least one word of the same length. PUNTER doesn't combine with any vowel to give a seven, but it always gives other six letter words, so PUNTER can never be the *only* six letter word in a selection.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:We had an interesting debate on one syllable adjectives when a player had RIGHTEST disallowed and was later invited back to the show as a challenger again, but still lost (I think).
I remember that. I like to think that it was because of us that he got another go.
Another one that's allowed in Scrabble is MAINEST* which is the sort of word you'd never use in real life, but should be allowed. However you'd never actually need to play the word as it's the anagram of INMATES.
But you might see one but not the other!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Countmax gives the double anagram BOUTONS/UNBOOTS but AFAIK UNBOOTS is not valid.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

POUCHIER and POUCHIEST have gone the same way as GOATIER and GOATIEST.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Hmm... Jim said he had fixed all the things mentioned previously on the thread before uploading the new version, but he hadn't removed FERREL(S) yet so that still needs doing. (Edit to say: BLEATINGS, NUDISMS and POLICINGS still need to be added as well)

Summary of other mistakes found so far in Jim's latest edition:

BOLASES, PRONER, PRONEST and RAGSTONE should be in, but aren't.
GOATIER, GOATIEST, POUCHIER and POUCHIEST shouldn't be in, but are.

A newly-spotted one:

ZOWIES shouldn't be in - ZOWIE listed as an exclamation only, so you can't pluralize it.

Kirk's confusing things quite a bit! :x UNBOOT, UNBOOTS, UNBOOTED and UNBOOTING have been removed Kirk - I mentioned them before and it's been done. You must have been using an older version of CountMax / the dictionary file when it allowed UNBOOTS.

Also, regarding GENOCIDES and LAMBINGS and the like, I wouldn't regard any inclusion or omission of a mass noun plural in the list as a definite mistake, whether the word in question's been allowed on Countdown before or is mentioned in the introduction to the ODE or whatever, because Dictionary Corner frequently change their minds - as we've seen with CARMINES? MIL(E)AGES? and, as mentioned earlier, TYMPANIES (I think what happened with that one was that there was a discussion about it on the Yahoo! Group, Martin Gardner said "yes it's definitely fine", then Damian stepped in and said it actually wouldn't be allowed... then DC came up with it on the show some time later :roll: )
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

jimbentley wrote:Taking BASSLINE and BASSLINES out is a travesty, though. Stupid dictionary.
Were they actually ever in, though? They weren't in the NODE, aren't in the ODE2r. I haven't got a copy of the ODE2 any more so can't check that...

Jim am I right in thinking that you originally drew up your wordlist based on the ODE2, and then Corby did his own based on the ODE2r, and then you made the most recent version by comparing those two lists?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Gavin Chipper wrote:But anyway Jono is this because MORTICE is listed as a variant of MORTISE so we're left with the question of whether all the derivatives are valid? I think this is why Julian Fell didn't go for COLONISER once upon a time but I think it was confirmed as allowable. Has there not been a general ruling on this type of thing?
Not going for COLONISER was just a silly mistake, it's definitely fine. Likewise MORTICER.

As I understand it - to put it a bit more specifically than Damian did - the rule is that if a headword has an alternative spelling, then the spelling variation can be carried over into words listed (in the dictionary) as derivatives of the headword. E.g. MORTICE is listed as a variant spelling of the headword MORTISE, and MORTISER is listed as a derivative of MORTISE, so MORTICER is fine even though it's not specifically mentioned.

I think that's the rule, but actually applying the rule isn't always easy because you have to know which entry to look at... it so often depends on where you look first. Gevin, If you look under JAIL, you'd (probably) allow GAOLING; if you look under GAOL, you wouldn't... not easy (I got confused with SKEPTIC along these same lines earlier, because naturally enough, I only looked at the SKEPTIC entry itself, whereas you have to look under SCEPTIC to see that SKEPTIC isn't just an American spelling...)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julian Fell wrote:BOLASES, PRONER, PRONEST and RAGSTONE should be in, but aren't.
Not sure if these are in now, but also ISANGOMA and PLEASER, had to be added too.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Julian Fell wrote:Hmm... Jim said he had fixed all the things mentioned previously on the thread before uploading the new version, but he hadn't removed FERREL(S) yet so that still needs doing. (Edit to say: BLEATINGS, NUDISMS and POLICINGS still need to be added as well)

Summary of other mistakes found so far in Jim's latest edition:

BOLASES, PRONER, PRONEST and RAGSTONE should be in, but aren't.

A newly-spotted one:

ZOWIES shouldn't be in - ZOWIE listed as an exclamation only, so you can't pluralize it.
Cheers, Julian, I'll make these changes and upload a new version later on tonight.
Julian Fell wrote:...BASSLINE...
Aye, BASSLINE somehow crept into Jon's list - although even he doesn't know how - so got included when we compared lists. I've taken it out now, though.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julian Fell wrote:
Kirk's confusing things quite a bit!
:cry: Sorry - maybe I shouldn't add to this thread then as I evidently haven't got the latest version of Countmax. Where do I get it?