Snow Stories

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Snow?

I hate the snow, it's messed up a few things and I can't wait until it melts.
60%
I love the snow, it's not affected me much at all.
20%
I love Jon Snow.
20%

Total votes: 10

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Snow Stories

Post by Ryan Taylor »

All of a sudden you can't go anywhere without hearing about snow and c4c is no different since I've brought it up here.

I'm pretty pissed off by all this shitty snow falling, it's disrupted loads of stuff for me and the sooner it clears up the better. Your views on the snow? I think I know which one Claudia Winkleman would vote for.

Post any stories about how the snow has affected you, good or bad or vent your anger at just what a bastard the white stuff is.

Here are some things that have happened in this snowy period:
  • - I was watching Sky News Live and the reporter in Buxton was snowballed. It was pretty funny but what was better was his professionalism in the way he just delivered the rest of his report.
    - My housemate ran home drunk last night and fell over and hurt himself (very funny).
    -I saw my old form tutor for the first time in 2 years to speak to. It was epic, if only brief and wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the snow.
    - University has been closed for the 2nd day in a row and all my deadlines keep getting pushed back and classes will be rescheduled presumably on my free days (not happy).
    - There is a patch of yellow snow outside my house at the moment since the same housemate could not wait to use the toilet.
    - I can't feel my feet.
    - I had no water for a day because of a frozen pipe.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Snow Stories

Post by Jon Corby »

I fell over yesterday on my walk into work, right in front of a queue of cars waiting at traffic lights. I got laughed at.

So I like snow, it's funny.

That said, we had a work's FUN afternoon of FUN organised for tomorrow, which is looking like going tits up. Most people probably aren't going to get to work anyway, and we have various 'giant' games being delivered from Hereford which clearly have next-to-fuck-all chance of getting here (Farnborough). BUT IN ANOTHER TWIST - our hall in the hotel for the afternoon, plus our dinner in the evening (inc. wine) is all prepaid, which we can't get refunded (they have said we can postpone until next year, but our boss says that's pointless for budgetary reasons). So even if only a few of us show up (I'm close enough to walk), we'll find a way to entertain ourselves for the afternoon in the hotel, and then have an absolute shitload of prepaid food and booze to get through.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:I fell over yesterday on my walk into work, right in front of a queue of cars waiting at traffic lights. I got laughed at.
I was walking behind a guy yesterday who fell over and of course the first thing he does is to look around to see if anyone saw it. I was the only person (no I wasn't stalking him) and I was nice and pretended not to notice it whilst my scarf covered the laughter.
Jon Corby wrote:have an absolute shitload of prepaid food and booze to get through.
Win.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I was the only person (no I wasn't stalking him) and I was nice and pretended not to notice it whilst my scarf covered the laughter.
I looked up and made eye contact with a load of kids along the back seat of a car, pressed against the window pissing themselves, so I gave them a thumbs-up since I was laughing too. I'm not sure that was a particularly cool thing to do, but actually what is the best way to handle it?

I also nearly went on the way home, but managed to get a hand down to stop my arse hitting the floor that time. Probably still looked as funny though. I do seem to be particularly terrible at walking on snow/ice, I constantly get overtaken by people confidently strutting along while I'm doing dolly-steps and still having difficulty staying upright. My lameness pisses me off a little bit.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote: I gave them a thumbs-up
paedo
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: I gave them a thumbs-up
paedo
lolol, I nearly added a bit in brackets after that but couldn't think of anything concise enough so as not to spoil the flow of my awesome anecdote.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm not sure that was a particularly cool thing to do, but actually what is the best way to handle it?
I think that wasn't too uncool. I would definitely say that laughing at yourself is the best way to deal with it as it is made even funnier if you act all embarrassed and everything.
Jon Corby wrote:I do seem to be particularly terrible at walking on snow/ice, I constantly get overtaken by people confidently strutting along while I'm doing dolly-steps and still having difficulty staying upright.
This was me yesterday. I put my walking boots on and was just striding past people on the street whilst they were really slowly walking and holding on to each other etc. I almost felt like God in a way. I looked down at them as if to say "ha, look at you mere mortals struggling in the snow whilst I confidently strut past at a brisk pace".
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Actually the best way to deal with such an occurrence is to pretend that you meant to be on the floor. Act like you've dropped a quid or something, even if it means you stay there for a couple of minutes chucking snow around before deciding all is lost. I can't believe all you idiots have been embarrassing yourselves for all this time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I think that wasn't too uncool. I would definitely say that laughing at yourself is the best way to deal with it as it is made even funnier if you act all embarrassed and everything.
Yeah, I still felt pretty stupid though. I didn't swear though, which is a bit unusual considering my normal reaction to almost slipping over is just to say "fuck off" really aggressively. (I also do this when cycling into a headwind, for some reason.)
Ryan Taylor wrote:This was me yesterday. I put my walking boots on and was just striding past people on the street whilst they were really slowly walking and holding on to each other etc. I almost felt like God in a way. I looked down at them as if to say "ha, look at you mere mortals struggling in the snow whilst I confidently strut past at a brisk pace".
Jealous. I might ask Santa for some of these.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I think that wasn't too uncool. I would definitely say that laughing at yourself is the best way to deal with it as it is made even funnier if you act all embarrassed and everything.
Yeah, I still felt pretty stupid though. I didn't swear though, which is a bit unusual considering my normal reaction to almost slipping over is just to say "fuck off" really aggressively. (I also do this when cycling into a headwind, for some reason.)
Ryan Taylor wrote:This was me yesterday. I put my walking boots on and was just striding past people on the street whilst they were really slowly walking and holding on to each other etc. I almost felt like God in a way. I looked down at them as if to say "ha, look at you mere mortals struggling in the snow whilst I confidently strut past at a brisk pace".
Jealous. I might ask Santa for some of these.
My mum has these :/
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:My mum has these :/
And...? Are they good?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I can't go outside when the whether is like this.

I think I might have a bit of a

snowbia.

8-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
And...? Are they good?
I dunno, I'll ask her for you. She hasn't broken her arm this year though, which she did last year.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
And...? Are they good?
I've got something similar and they work really well. Mine are basically cleats in a rubber thing that slips over your shoes, and the only downside is that they are very awkward to get on and off. The first time I used them was to go to a funeral, and because they're so awkward I decided to keep them on during the service. I slipped my feet under the chair in front of me, and next thing I realised I was nailed to the floor of the church. The only way of releasing myself was by lifting the whole row of seats as they were all joined together. I had to sit there reverently until everyone else had left.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:I can't go outside when the whether is like this.

I think I might have a bit of a

snowbia.

8-)
Homophone.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
And...? Are they good?
I've got something similar and they work really well. Mine are basically cleats in a rubber thing that slips over your shoes, and the only downside is that they are very awkward to get on and off. The first time I used them was to go to a funeral, and because they're so awkward I decided to keep them on during the service. I slipped my feet under the chair in front of me, and next thing I realised I was nailed to the floor of the church. The only way of releasing myself was by lifting the whole row of seats as they were all joined together. I had to sit there reverently until everyone else had left.
That's awesome! They definitely do work then.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
And...? Are they good?
Hahaha, that did make me chuckle.

It's also inspired me to go and search for YouTube videos of pallbearers falling over with coffins (preferably on ice but not exclusively)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

No work yesterday, only at work for three days today before they decided to let anyone who relies on public transport to basically determine their own finishing time (as the buses all capitulated at about 10:30). I opted out and caught a train I knew would be running rather than play Russian Roulette with any further ones.

Personally speaking? All this snow can fuck right off. Though I do get to play more apterous in the daytime. :)
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

I personally can't wait for the snow to piss right off. I skidded on some ice yesterday and wrapped my van around a tree. Thankfully I walked out unhurt, but the good people of Tamworth certainly learned some new words.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Neb Wilson wrote:only at work for three days today
Nice one.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martyn Simpson wrote:the good people of Tamworth certainly learned some new words.
Did you teach them the MATRICES stem?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

School was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday due to snow and we were off on Friday so I had a 5 day weekend, some people were off yesterday and today as well!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Great stuff, not seen so much snow since 1981, although bit of a nuisance spending half an hour digging the car out today (was under a foot of snow) and also awaiting a kitchen delivery that never materialised. I do quite enjoy driving in snow however.

Also, the snow in the park is somewhere around knee-level, pretty bloody tough to move around in, got some excellent pictures though:

meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ian Volante wrote:Image
This is relevant to my interests.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Image
This is relevant to my interests.
Do you freeze them first?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Is that a mini dog??
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Is that a mini dog??
Nah, his paws are about six inches into the snow there.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Why is tghe large dog eating the mini dog?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Why is tghe large dog eating the mini dog?
They're just playing, and the dog getting eaten is larger!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Can I come to your house some time?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Can I come to your house some time?
You're welcome to the collie...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My one of those.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Image

My one of those.
Aww, very sweet. Ours is a hell-puppy.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Found this rummaging through some clutter in my wardrobe. Back in the day when I enjoyed snow. Check out the awesome blue salopettes and the even funkier coat...

...and yep, those are cricket stumps for arms.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ryan Taylor wrote:salopettes
So that's how you spell it...
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Image

My one of those.
CUTE DOG! :lol:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Thanks!
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Ian Volante wrote: Image
So the white cat stayed in the bin :o :roll: :twisted:
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon Corby wrote:lolol
does lolol mean lot of laughing out loud?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Soph K wrote:
How disappointing - I was expecting an out of season snow story, when I saw this thread had been updated!

And yes, I think it can, or the slightly odder-sounding laughing out loud out loud.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mike Brown wrote:
Soph K wrote:
How disappointing - I was expecting an out of season snow story, when I saw this thread had been updated!

And yes, I think it can, or the slightly odder-sounding laughing out loud out loud.
haha
ok, thanks.