The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:I'm giving up Arsenal v Birmingham for Coleiii.

Ok, so I don't like those teams, but I got tickets off a friend....
I'm giving up Huddersfield Town v Southampton for CoLeiii.

Just about the biggest game this season. :x

Oh well, needs must. :roll:
Sorry, don't follow league 1... or 2...
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Been following this for a couple of days now. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... icks-henry
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Anyone notice that the head to head league prematurely calculates the results before all the points have come in? For example, I beat Matt this week but he's been given the win as he was ahead on Sunday. Boo! Or is there a reason for this i'm missing?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Andy Wilson wrote:Anyone notice that the head to head league prematurely calculates the results before all the points have come in? For example, I beat Matt this week but he's been given the win as he was ahead on Sunday. Boo! Or is there a reason for this i'm missing?
Did you take any points hits for transfers (which I presume count towards your H2H score)? Seems the most likely thing you could have overlooked.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:Anyone notice that the head to head league prematurely calculates the results before all the points have come in? For example, I beat Matt this week but he's been given the win as he was ahead on Sunday. Boo! Or is there a reason for this i'm missing?
It just does the tables in progress as far as I know.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Did you take any points hits for transfers (which I presume count towards your H2H score)? Seems the most likely thing you could have overlooked.
Yes I did. That's where the 8 points went. Nice one. Dang! James D last week and Matt this week, I saw these as the two big derby games. Gutted! :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

FUCKSAKE. Don't you hate it when you set your alarm specifically to getting-up-to-do-your-fantasy-team-before-the-deadline-time, and then fuck about on the internet doing hyper duels and shit and forget? Fucking annoying!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Matt Morrison wrote:FUCKSAKE. Don't you hate it when you set your alarm specifically to getting-up-to-do-your-fantasy-team-before-the-deadline-time, and then fuck about on the internet doing hyper duels and shit and forget? Fucking annoying!
Thanks for that post, Matt. You've just reminded me of something. Gotta dash.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Aw tits, the dream Wimbledon Vs Dons tie is off. Ah well. Good luck against Ebbsfleet Oli. FCUM Vs United still a possibility.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Wilson wrote:FCUM Vs United still a possibility.
Yeah, although I'd prefer the Terriers v United in Round 3. 8-)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

After a shitty start to the whole thing, I'm finally making some headway. Slow progress in the main league, but the format of the head-to-head is proving right up my street, and I've finally pushed Ian off the top spot. Now let's see if I can stay there past this weekend, where I have to make the right choice between my Spurs and Liverpool players - will be tense in the Badcock-Morrison household.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:After a shitty start to the whole thing, I'm finally making some headway. Slow progress in the main league, but the format of the head-to-head is proving right up my street, and I've finally pushed Ian off the top spot. Now let's see if I can stay there past this weekend, where I have to make the right choice between my Spurs and Liverpool players - will be tense in the Badcock-Morrison household.
My silly choices of dropping Nasri and not making Yaya captain this week. Ah well, gives me someone to shoot down!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Whew... anyone got Berbatov?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Andy Wilson wrote:Whew... anyone got Berbatov?
No, have Nani, sold him last week :cry: and then Hart, Vidic and Evra concede.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Whew... anyone got Berbatov?
No, have Nani, sold him last week :cry: and then Hart, Vidic and Evra concede.
Vidic got subbed off on about 65 minutes or something, so that's some consolation.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Did he. Nice. The site was too slow when I went to check it there so I'm still quite curious to see whether anyone had him. That's pretty savage though, 3 weeks ago United were 5 points behind and a whopping 16 goals behind in the goal difference stakes, a figure that I just assumed wouldn't be easily catchable for the remainder of the season. Now 21 days later, United sit pretty 3 points clear and level on goal difference with Chelsea facing what might be a tricky tie tomorrow with a weakened side. 'The crap invincibles' I believe they are currently being affectionately referred to by the fans. Not so crap today though by the look of the scoreline.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Huddersfield v DOVER :!: Oh well, round 4, here we come. ;) :) :D

Man Utd v Liverpool seemed to be fate.

Arsenal v Leeds, Stevenage v Newcastle and Scunthorpe v Everton seem crackers in the making too. 8-)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:Man Utd v Liverpool seemed to be fate.
Pfft, they'd've had a good chance of meeting later down the line anyway. MUFC vs. FCUM would have been much more fate-tastic. Maybe that'll be the final.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Also, something I've often wondered about. It's pretty common for a team to make a substitution in injury time (such as Spurs did today) as a means of timewasting, but why should this work? I know referees are supposed to nominally add another 30 seconds to the clock for every substitution, but why don't they just add more if you get the usual slow trudge off the field? Or is it simply that it breaks up the flow of the game (and so is less timewasting and more just an interruption)?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Timewasting. The ref never adds on enough time to compensate for a substitution. The whole time-added-on idea is pretty ridiculous and accommodates timewasting. The ball is only in play for about 60 of the 90 minutes in a football game, but you'd never see 30 minutes added on. A clock that stops when the ball goes out of play would definitely be fairer, but that would ruin the dénouement of Soccer Saturday which I think is reason enough to keep it as it is.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Timewasting. The ref never adds on enough time to compensate for a substitution. The whole time-added-on idea is pretty ridiculous and accommodates timewasting. The ball is only in play for about 60 of the 90 minutes in a football game, but you'd never see 30 minutes added on. A clock that stops when the ball goes out of play would definitely be fairer, but that would ruin the dénouement of Soccer Saturday which I think is reason enough to keep it as it is.
I just don't see why, with something like a substitution in injury time, the ref doesn't look at his watch when they start the substitution, and look at it again when it finishes. Just seems like such an easy thing to do and would remove something so tedious.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

James Robinson wrote:Huddersfield v DOVER :!: Oh well, round 4, here we come. ;) :) :D
Quite a bold comment given that (I'm just guessing) you know very little about Dover...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

RUSSIA AND QATAR FOR 2018 & 2022!!! :? :shock: :o

Is that a massive joke from FIFA :?: :roll:
Last edited by James Robinson on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

James Robinson wrote:Is that a massage joke from FIFA
Nice one.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Is that a massage joke from FIFA
Nice one.
How the heck did I put down "massage" :?: :?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For fuck's shitting sake, forgot to do my fantasy team again, 2nd time in 3 weeks. I'm getting totally raped this time, got all the wrong players in. :(
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:For fuck's shitting sake, forgot to do my fantasy team again, 2nd time in 3 weeks. I'm getting totally raped this time, got all the wrong players in. :(
I substituted all my United players and changed my captain to Nasri, who would have got 30, yeah I forgot to save it. :cry:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:For fuck's shitting sake, forgot to do my fantasy team again, 2nd time in 3 weeks. I'm getting totally raped this time, got all the wrong players in. :(
I substituted all my United players and changed my captain to Nasri, who would have got 30, yeah I forgot to save it. :cry:
I've got Nasri as a sub, hopefully Nolan won't play! Also, changed my captain away from Hart just to encourage him to get a clean sheet...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
I've got Nasri as a sub, hopefully Nolan won't play! Also, changed my captain away from Hart just to encourage him to get a clean sheet...
You div Ian. You've got Vidic and Hernandez in your team, right. Well, thanks to Blackpool-Man U being cancelled, you'll now have Nasri and Samba come in - for 23 fucking points, when you didn't even pick them! Ridiculous. I'm not pleased.

Not only that, but then having not done my team, I had Toure in as captain from last week, so I was thinking, well at least for some reprieve Man City can keep a clean sheet and he'll get some decent points. But no, he only plays for 31 minutes, so he doesn't get the clean fucking sheet bonus, and I get 1 point for him (2 as cap). Who was I changing my captain to today if I remembered? Nasri, of course.

Sigh. I'm not lucky.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
You div Ian. You've got Vidic and Hernandez in your team, right. Well, thanks to Blackpool-Man U being cancelled, you'll now have Nasri and Samba come in - for 23 fucking points, when you didn't even pick them! Ridiculous. I'm not pleased.

Not only that, but then having not done my team, I had Toure in as captain from last week, so I was thinking, well at least for some reprieve Man City can keep a clean sheet and he'll get some decent points. But no, he only plays for 31 minutes, so he doesn't get the clean fucking sheet bonus, and I get 1 point for him (2 as cap). Who was I changing my captain to today if I remembered? Nasri, of course.

Sigh. I'm not lucky.
Would Nasri come in even though he's a midfielder? I suppose the formation could change. That is harsh! I did consider the Man United thing at least...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Good to see andy Johnson's getting fit...

sort of...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

GOAL

Patrick 0 - 1 Ross County (Richard Brittain 19 PEN)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :!: :?:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

3 changes this week to try and halt my freefall. Nasri, Berba and Elmander for injured Tevez and Nolan (fell for the yellow symbol without checking this and has alreadyt backfired) and Hernandez (who was a silly choice a fortnight ago and hasn't played since). Bit late on all three but reckon they could be good long haulers. Sickening treatment of Hughton by Ashley but not surprising obviously. Hughton was Ireland's first black player, which reminds me of that old one... who was the first black Irishman to play at Wembley?
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:GOAL

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :!: :?:
Apparently he didn't have a pass to get into the stadium, but got around this by using someone else's.

I await a recording of the half time teamtalk to be splashed over his website.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 302348.stm

Goateed wonder failing to get the huge net spend he required to allow his club to tread water. Shame. Amazing photo though, to think Rafa is only the 2nd or even 3rd biggest twat in it.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:GOAL

Or maybe even Partick :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Only 4 left in the Fantasy Cup as far as I can see - me, Badcock, Garner and Doohan.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Adam Gillard wrote:Only 4 left in the Fantasy Cup as far as I can see - me, Badcock, Garner and Doohan.
I got hammered in the first round when I only had about two players in action :(
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Only 4 left in the Fantasy Cup as far as I can see - me, Badcock, Garner and Doohan.
I got hammered in the first round when I only had about two players in action :(
Same. A real shame, site-wide, that that mad week of postponements has really messed up the whole cup thing, it began at the worst possible time.
Individually too, I've just got totally fucked over (mostly bad luck, partly my own fault) over the last 3 or 4 weeks and everything has gone tits up in an anger- and sadness-inducing way. Fucking fantasy. :(
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I forgot about the cup to be honest. I've managed to halt my dodgy spell though with a couple of decent changes there before the Stephens' Day matches (brought in Van der Vaart and Aaron Hughes at the back who has netted me 14 points in two games). For the first time all season I'm pretty happy with my team and I'm gonna try minimise any changes from here on in.

Speaking of which - I wish you got the current value for a player you're selling. I could offload Nani for a week or two now while he's injured, but even though I have .3 mil sitting in the bank, I couldn't afford to buy him back afterwards! I reckon you should be rewarded for buying a player before his value increases rather than penalised.

Oh, and who is Nick Wainwright by the way?

I'd like to end this post by offering my deepest sympathies to Liverpool fans.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Andy Wilson wrote:Oh, and who is Nick Wainwright by the way?
He was Countdown series champion a few years back. Met him at CoLon and at my series finals - he's a nice guy.

The main thing you need to know about Nick for fantasy league purposes though, is that he used to make his living as a professional gambler. None of us stood a chance with him in the c4c league.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'm giving up a tournament for Fulham v Peterborough (FA Cup)

Suppose it's fair. I've gave up a football match for a tournament so fairness calls.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

In before Beevers...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

LOLiverpool. Again.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

:lol: & :)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Chucked Gerrard in with the double game week for pool and all and made him captain. Losing the 2 points for the penalty miss x 2 and counting the 5 points x 2 for the goal if he'd scored it, means that penalty miss cost me 14 points in theory! Still, ten points not the worst return for one game. What an awful run Chelsea are on though. I can't believe it. 9 points behind united with a game more played... after racing out of the blocks in August. I'd nearly stick a fiver on them to win the league tomorrow...
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just messing with the graphs. That one is obviously points progression... this one is how you fared overall among the two and a half million other players as the weeks have progressed. Pity you can't zoom in, but Ian, as mentioned by Adam on the forum on there that hardly any one uses, finished 114th in December.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Wilson wrote:Just messing with the graphs. That one is obviously points progression... this one is how you fared overall among the two and a half million other players as the weeks have progressed. Pity you can't zoom in, but Ian, as mentioned by Adam on the forum on there that hardly any one uses, finished 114th in December.

Struggling at the moment though, things need quite an overhaul!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well, you have your extra wildcard now for the next few weeks so now is the time.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So the World Cup in winter, eh?
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

I feel that Larsen needs a more experienced Director of Football figure to help him run his team.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Long live the King.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Man, I wish Damo was still on here.

Did anyone else see a tearful-looking Holloway getting all wound up because the Saints fans were singing "Premier League, you're having a laugh"? Managers really shouldn't get wound up so easily by fairly generic chants like that! Tool. *inserts that clever facepalm picture that Phil Reynolds once used which changes each time you look at it*
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:*inserts that clever facepalm picture that Phil Reynolds once used which changes each time you look at it*
Crazy, I would have put almost everything I own on it being you that introduced that, not Phil.

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:So the World Cup in winter, eh?
It's a fair way off, but it'd certainly be interesting.
Jono wrote:Long live the King.
Unacceptable performance yesterday. He's got to go.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Jono wrote:Long live the King.
Unacceptable performance yesterday. He's got to go.
He's made me care again. Hopefully the players will react in the same way.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Aye, good on him. I'm actually delighted he's back.