Spoilers for Tuesday 14th December 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Spoilers for Tuesday 14th December 2010

Post by JackHurst »

Today sees Marcus and Scott take each other on in the last quarter of series 63 to win the right to take on myself in tomorrows' episode.

All games so far have gone as expected, but with Marcus and Scott being #4 and #5 respectively and being at a very similar standard on apterous at the time of recording, this one is too difficult to call, looking like it should be one of the closest games of the series.

I am sure James will be round with some stats later.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 14th December 2010

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:I am sure James will be round with some stats later.
As promised:

Firstly, No.4 Seed Marcus Hares - 8 Wins, 834 Points
Highest Score: 116 vs. James Bradley (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 87 vs. Steve Turvey (1st Game)
9's Achieved: 3/7
Total Points/Max/%: 834/1017 (82%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 572/710 (81%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 202/227 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 60/80 (75%)

Secondly, No.5 Seed Scott Gillies - 8 Wins, 810 Points
Highest Score: 126 vs. Judith Hunt (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 87 vs. Kevin Quinn (6th Game)
9's Achieved: 2/7
Total Points/Max/%: 810/1035 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 555/715 (78%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 225/240 (94%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 30/80 (38%)

Am also looking forward to this battle of the Apto-titans. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) Who will win "The Street Fighter" or "The Jamestown Jacobite" :?:

Oliver will recap later. 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I prefer Scott "The Darkie's Delight" Gillies.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Prepare for the battle of the apterites!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Is it me or are Marcus's glasses new?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I think they are - and I got 'numen' towards the end.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well played, lads, very good game, best of the quarters. :D

I thought Marcus would win, if he had control of the two numbers games and vice-versa for Scott. Heh now I understand that quip about "who would spot EYESORE?" A while back :lol:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

This was a fantastic game, really good to watch in the studio. Felt great for Marcus, but also a bit shit for Scott as he came so close.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Also, I used to think that the amount of comments on the spoilers thread for an episode were proportional to how good it was, but thats clearly not the case. Where are all the comments about how good it was?
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

As the text commentator on Football Manager says: "What a game!!!"
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Really good contest this, kind of makes me wish I hadn't found out the result beforehand. Great play from both of you.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

JackHurst wrote:Also, I used to think that the amount of comments on the spoilers thread for an episode were proportional to how good it was, but thats clearly not the case. Where are all the comments about how good it was?
Well, I'll add one - this was a superb match - well done to both. Marcus reminded me of how he kept calm through his run - if I remember correctly he did get behind in that once or twice, but never lost his cool, and came up with one or two crucial words at just the right time to prevail each time.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Excellent contest - EYESORE was a superb spot. What were you fishing for in that round Scott as you went for 5 vowels playing right into Marcus' hands I'm sure :P

Unlucky to lose as I thought you had won it when you led all the way.

Lastly, what a brilliant scramble; LARGEBAPS. I think it was Damian's way of taking the piss out of Scott's moobs. ;)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Excellent contest - EYESORE was a superb spot. What were you fishing for in that round Scott as you went for 5 vowels playing right into Marcus' hands I'm sure :P
SEERAGE?
Kirk Bevins wrote:Lastly, what a brilliant scramble; LARGEBAPS. I think it was Damian's way of taking the piss out of Scott's moobs. ;)
He said something about being inspired by someone in the office who was wearing a revealing top. No doubt a joke.
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Excellent contest - EYESORE was a superb spot. What were you fishing for in that round Scott as you went for 5 vowels playing right into Marcus' hands I'm sure :P

Unlucky to lose as I thought you had won it when you led all the way.

Lastly, what a brilliant scramble; LARGEBAPS. I think it was Damian's way of taking the piss out of Scott's moobs. ;)
i was fishing for agarose and it went all tits up when it didnt appear lol
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ryan Taylor wrote: He said something about being inspired by someone in the office who was wearing a revealing top. No doubt a joke.
And GRASPABLE makes sense too. Wow, this is even better than UGLYHINTS.

Edit: Wow, GRASPABLE isn't an apto conundrum either - that surprises me.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

That was a phenomenal game. Very high standard, as to be expected.

Very unlucky, Scott. Very good performance and to be ahead all the way, bar the end must be gut-wrenching.

But, well done, Marcus, for masterminding a great comeback. Your semi-final with Jack tomoroow should be a treat as well. ;) :) :D

FORGOES in round 1, TOOTER in round 4, CUTTLES in round 7 and ANDISOLS in round 12.

1st Numbers 881 (Closest Possible): (((75 x 4) + (50 / 25)) x 3) - 25

These final 3 matches are going to be awesome, methinks. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: He said something about being inspired by someone in the office who was wearing a revealing top. No doubt a joke.
And GRASPABLE makes sense too. Wow, this is even better than UGLYHINTS.

Edit: Wow, GRASPABLE isn't an apto conundrum either - that surprises me.
none of the finals have apto conundrums Kirk, which was planned by Dam
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Scott Gillies wrote: none of the finals have apto conundrums Kirk, which was planned by Dam
Eoin's QF conundrum is on apterous and Eoin solved it in 2.5 seconds the time he solved it.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

First numbers game: Deja vu?

http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_4127
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:First numbers game: Deja vu?

Pretty amazing. 8-)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Scott Gillies wrote: none of the finals have apto conundrums Kirk, which was planned by Dam
Eoin's QF conundrum is on apterous and Eoin solved it in 2.5 seconds the time he solved it.
A few days ago Jack mentioned that one of the finals conundrums was inadvertently used in the last heat game (and it isn't an apterous conundrum). Maybe Eoin got the one that was meant to be for that game?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
A few days ago Jack mentioned that one of the finals conundrums was inadvertently used in the last heat game (and it isn't an apterous conundrum). Maybe Eoin got the one that was meant to be for that game?
Yeah, Damian mentioned this to me.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Cheers for the nice comments guys - I want to say it was a really memorable game but I could barely remember anything about it until I watched it back tonight. This was always going to be a close game and I had a lot of luck with it - first off I won the toss so it meant I could have two choices at the numbers (which Scott is better at), and secondly both 8's that I assumed were slightly risky (INDEXERS and SUNDIALS) Jeff went to Scott for the declaration first, I could very well have declared 7's if I had been asked first.

It was a great game though and congratulations to Scott on giving a great account.

Next stop, Jack Hurst... *gulp*!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Scott Gillies wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: none of the finals have apto conundrums Kirk, which was planned by Dam
I wouldnt be so sure about that.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Really excellent game today; it's just a shame one of you had to lose. :(
(The latter thought being something of a recurring theme in these finals.)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

This Morning's telegraph was :lol:

Basically:

""large baps" was revealed as the final round on yesterday's show... further embarrassment was caused when Marcus Hares declared "GRASPABLE"."
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:This Morning's telegraph was :lol:

Basically:

""large baps" was revealed as the final round on yesterday's show... further embarrassment was caused when Marcus Hares declared "GRASPABLE"."
This sort of filth wouldn't happen were it not for Europe, the nanny state, and political correctness gone mad.

Rear Admiral Charles Bletchley-Cholmondeley (retd.)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Just been catching up with these games - excellent game. Both played very well and could have gone either way.

I think I suggested once that because of the limitations in the combinations of 4-large, if someone was sufficiently dedicated they might be able to learn all the solutions in advance. Not sure it would actually be doable though.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Just been catching up with these games - excellent game. Both played very well and could have gone either way.

I think I suggested once that because of the limitations in the combinations of 4-large, if someone was sufficiently dedicated they might be able to learn all the solutions in advance. Not sure it would actually be doable though.
Even if it was possible, it would be far more effective to actually practise and get good enough to spot most solutions than trying to learn them all and recall them from memory.

There are 55 possible possible combinations of small, and 899 targets giving 49445 possible 4 large rounds. There are a few that you can get to using just the 4 large, but that's a small proportion. Learning the tricks that help you tap into certain areas of the target region is the best place to start, for example the 302/203/154, 937.5 and 625+-50/100. Once you've learned and practised these, a lot of rounds become a lot easier if you have faith that the method works and don't spend half the time of the round convincing yourself that it works. There's also some nice acrobatics you can do with a 5 or 10 in the selection, but AFAIK I am the only person on apterous that uses this.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JackHurst wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Just been catching up with these games - excellent game. Both played very well and could have gone either way.

Even if it was possible, it would be far more effective to actually practise and get good enough to spot most solutions than trying to learn them all and recall them from memory.

There are 55 possible possible combinations of small, and 899 targets giving 49445 possible 4 large rounds. There are a few that you can get to using just the 4 large, but that's a small proportion. Learning the tricks that help you tap into certain areas of the target region is the best place to start, for example the 302/203/154, 937.5 and 625+-50/100. Once you've learned and practised these, a lot of rounds become a lot easier if you have faith that the method works and don't spend half the time of the round convincing yourself that it works. There's also some nice acrobatics you can do with a 5 or 10 in the selection, but AFAIK I am the only person on apterous that uses this.
Yep, I might join you on the 4-large scene quite soon.