Bug reports

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Bug reports

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Also - http://apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=351001 - round 20. Sponge is supposed to be like Rex on numbers isn't he?
He's probably never been shown how to solve 962 before.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Volante wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:The applet isn't signed so... I have no idea.
Weird, I'll try to glean more info.
I gleaned more info:

Code: Select all

network: Connecting http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar with cookie "uid=381; sessionid=13450050521309346080; __utma=210967365.1337468131.1280677274.1291159408.1291162591.337; __utmz=210967365.1291065692.327.28.utmcsr=c4countdown.co.uk|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/viewtopic.php; uid=381; sessionid=13450050521309346080; __utmb=210967365.9.10.1291162591; __utmc=210967365"
network: ResponseCode for http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar : 304
network: Encoding for http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar : null
network: Disconnect connection to http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar
cache: Reading Signers from 0 http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar | C:\Documents and Settings\cheekbones3\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\29\2d84e61d-4e221157.idx
network: No certificate info for unsigned JAR file: http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar
network: No certificate info for unsigned JAR file: http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar
cache:  Read manifest for http://www.apterous.org/client/apto4298095703.jar: read=45 full=45
basic: Applet loaded.
As far as I can tell, the console is giving me the signed/unsigned pop-up at the point when these lines appear:

Code: Select all

Both the same in fact, pre- and post-pop-up probably. Is this relevant to anything?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I tried to put a comment on this game and it didn't come up.

Edit - Oh it must be the weird URL someone mentioned earlier.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:someone
Cunt.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Edit - I've always thought it's weird the way it fails on hyper though. Every time it gets the target it gets it at least as efficiently as I do (so the same number of moves or less) and then every so often it just doesn't get it. If it's a case of it not being able to cover all the ground, why does it never get the target but less efficiently than the player?
It searches all 1-step methods first, then 2-step etc. So if it gets the target at all, it'll get it in the optimal number of steps.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jamie French wrote:I've installed some new antivirus sodtware and its stopped me from playing apterous.

I can log into the game room and pick the first round selection but the clock will not start and I am presented with a blank white screen.

The following message is also delivered to my desktop
TBH I'd just get a better anti-virus.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Wot no duel today?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ian Volante wrote:Wot no duel today?
I think it got snowed in and couldn't make it to work.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I've just noticed that it says something totally wrong on some games when you have finished, in the chat bit, regarding your rating. Could be showing ratings for the wrong people? Probably refernced earlier in the thread, or it could just be me. Probably one of those two. :D

JK
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Joseph Krol wrote:I've just noticed that it says something totally wrong on some games when you have finished, in the chat bit, regarding your rating. Could be showing ratings for the wrong people? Probably refernced earlier in the thread, or it could just be me. Probably one of those two. :D

JK
There are different ratings for some variants, Joseph, are you taking that into account?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:I've just noticed that it says something totally wrong on some games when you have finished, in the chat bit, regarding your rating. Could be showing ratings for the wrong people? Probably refernced earlier in the thread, or it could just be me. Probably one of those two. :D

JK
There are different ratings for some variants, Joseph, are you taking that into account?
All variants in fact.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ah yes, that is probably it, as I was playing a Junior Conundrum attack against my sister when it happened. Out of interest, how can you view your ratings for the variants?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Ah yes, that is probably it, as I was playing a Junior Conundrum attack against my sister when it happened. Out of interest, how can you view your ratings for the variants?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'm seeing double.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:Out of interest, how can you view your ratings for the variants?
Umm, yeah. About that...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:Out of interest, how can you view your ratings for the variants?
Umm, yeah. About that...
You can go to settings in the game and change your preffered variant. Then you can see your rating in let's say... Spoilage (if your variant is Spoilage, like me.)

I am 795(?) at Normal/English but when I see the player list, I see everyone's spoilage rating. (i.e. me = 1068, Ian V = 1649, Rex = 1533 :o
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Would be interesting to know how the eye of apterous works (think this has been discussed before) as I've just noticed this:

"Your PB in this format is 149; your opponent's is 77. The eye of apterous believes your chance of winning is 19%. Dare you defy it?" My PB is nearly double his and I have a 19% chance of winning. I'd put a tenner on please...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Would be interesting to know how the eye of apterous works (think this has been discussed before) as I've just noticed this:

"Your PB in this format is 149; your opponent's is 77. The eye of apterous believes your chance of winning is 19%. Dare you defy it?" My PB is nearly double his and I have a 19% chance of winning. I'd put a tenner on please...
I think that "chance of winning" thing is based on the players' ratings in that format, not personal bests.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Graeme Cole wrote: I think that "chance of winning" thing is based on the players' ratings in that format, not personal bests.
Think you're spot on.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote: I think that "chance of winning" thing is based on the players' ratings in that format, not personal bests.
Think you're spot on.
He is, but who were you playing? Your rating is so high I'm surprised there's anyone who would give you such a low chance of winning.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Was it a weird variant?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=354772

This game, right?
Ah, that explains it, cool stuff.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://www.apterous.org/viewgame.php?game=354772

This game, right?
Well the game after. Then after that my percentage went up to like 37% chance of winning. Would loved to have seen what percentage it said for the first game as I forgot to read it.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Statland pages haven't updated for a while
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Often in goatundrums in a 30-second round, 30 seconds elapses when the full shuffle is revealed. This often leads to "That's Rhys's buzzer on 31.5 seconds...."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Often in goatundrums in a 30-second round, 30 seconds elapses when the full shuffle is revealed. This often leads to "That's Rhys's buzzer on 31.5 seconds...."
Yes?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Often in goatundrums in a 30-second round, 30 seconds elapses when the full shuffle is revealed. This often leads to "That's Rhys's buzzer on 31.5 seconds...."
Rhys, please learn how the game works before you post such ridiculous bug reports. Go and read the help pages on Goatdown.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Rhys, please learn how the game works before you post such ridiculous bug reports. Go and read the help pages on Goatdown.
Weird. Previously it did 20 seconds before revealing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Weird. Previously it did 20 seconds before revealing.
Nope.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Travellers Almanacs count is broken, and probably has been for months.

ps: Why no almanac for WALES? It is a country, isn't it?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Liam Tiernan wrote:Why no almanac for WALES? It is a country, isn't it?
Nope.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

The newly-expanded unique offerings page (which is excellent to see) seems to list pencils for non-standard variants (?), e.g. unlimited and spoilage, rather than unique offerings.

Also, 20 as a target with a 20 in the selection displays oddly in the recap and during the game. (See too the recapper's method, which avoids using the 20.)

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

According to the new unique words page I'm the only person ever to offer AVOWEDLY, but that isn't true.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Graeme Cole wrote:According to the new unique words page I'm the only person ever to offer AVOWEDLY, but that isn't true.
Likewise, LEUCOMAS is on my list, but 13 others have declared it since I did.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

New policy: I deduct one silver bug for every duplicate report.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Charlie Reams wrote:New policy: I deduct one silver bug for every duplicate report.
So if you get 0 silver bugs you get -1?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:New policy: I deduct one silver bug for every duplicate report.
Sometimes I would have thought it would be good to know errors aren't one-offs.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I would quote that and say "Yeh, as Graeme wasn't the only person to first declare his word but I was with mine" but I don't want to lose another Silver Bug.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sometimes I would have thought it would be good to know errors aren't one-offs.
Yes, but when it's a bunch of static pages that I can look at myself, there's only a certain number of times I need to be told about it. My heart LITERALLY sinks every time there's a post in this thread (possibly not including this one) so a bit of quality control on the other side would be much appreciated.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

GENUINE REPORT HERE

In a blind, once the 30 seconds are up, the letters reappear just before you declre so you get the chance to check your words, surely this is a bug?
James Leroux
Rookie

Post by James Leroux »

I played today's Duel, and got a provisionally ranked 6th. My name didn't show up on the leaderboard on the front page, and while the game showed up in my history I'm not allowed to view it. Just now, I logged out and logged back in, and the game is offering me the Duel again...
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Whenever I try to resume my game with Mr A. Rex it gets to about 10 letters in (Rex's pick), then the game window disappears completely. The game is still listed as "In Play" in the panel at the bottom of the screen, but it can't be resumed without logging out/in. Have tried resuming it 3/4 times now and same thing happens every time. Only thing on the error log is this

ClientGame1930 [CXPLAY]: net.BlockingLayerInterruptedException: net.BlockingNetworkLayer$FinalObjectExtractedException: Stream ended (final object extracted)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Leroux wrote:I played today's Duel, and got a provisionally ranked 6th. My name didn't show up on the leaderboard on the front page, and while the game showed up in my history I'm not allowed to view it. Just now, I logged out and logged back in, and the game is offering me the Duel again...
We had a database crash earlier, looks like it happened halfway through saving your game. You can replay it if you're feeling honest.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Kirk Bevins commented on Amie Bateen's game with her. 1 day ago.

Kirk Bevins celebrated his 5200th win! 1 day ago.
James Leroux
Rookie

Post by James Leroux »

Charlie Reams wrote:
James Leroux wrote:I played today's Duel, and got a provisionally ranked 6th. My name didn't show up on the leaderboard on the front page, and while the game showed up in my history I'm not allowed to view it. Just now, I logged out and logged back in, and the game is offering me the Duel again...
We had a database crash earlier, looks like it happened halfway through saving your game. You can replay it if you're feeling honest.
I got 6th again, but it's still not showing up on the leaderboard...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Leroux wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I got 6th again, but it's still not showing up on the leaderboard...
As above, but with 1st place.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I tried accessing apterous on my mobile and it had changed. There were only three available buttons (log in, contact and one other) and you could read some writing behind but you couldn't do anything with it, e.g. when I clicked log in I couldn't type my password in as the 3 links on the left kept scrolling down with the rest of the page and clicking in the 'password' box didn't do anything.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I tried accessing apterous on my mobile and it had changed. There were only three available buttons (log in, contact and one other) and you could read some writing behind but you couldn't do anything with it, e.g. when I clicked log in I couldn't type my password in as the 3 links on the left kept scrolling down with the rest of the page and clicking in the 'password' box didn't do anything.
Always worked for me, save the game window.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

http://www.apterous.org/statland.php?se ... t_climbers seems not to be updating any more - I know I'm higher up than that now!
__
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Hyper unlimited letters attack has 30 seconds per round whereas the other hyper unlimited games have 45 seconds per round :?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Doohan wrote:Hyper unlimited letters attack has 30 seconds per round whereas the other hyper unlimited games have 45 seconds per round :?
That is... odd. Don't think I can change it now though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
James Doohan wrote:Hyper unlimited letters attack has 30 seconds per round whereas the other hyper unlimited games have 45 seconds per round :?
That is... odd. Don't think I can change it now though.
Hyper touch numbers attack has 30 seconds as well (so presumably all hyper touch).
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

I just played star 17 beefily facetious - all numbers standard scoring. However i score 1 point when i declared 9 away and 9 points when i declared 1 away - shouldn't this be 5 and 7? It made no difference to outcome but I thought i'd mention it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jayne Wisniewski wrote:I just played star 17 beefily facetious - all numbers standard scoring. However i score 1 point when i declared 9 away and 9 points when i declared 1 away - shouldn't this be 5 and 7? It made no difference to outcome but I thought i'd mention it.
Nothing more than confusing terminology Jayne. The standard scoring method for Omelette and Aegilops is Stepdown scoring.
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

thank you matt i guess i should have realised - ive played enough omelette and aegilops to have noticed that!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Although you've put a note on Apterous to say that Statland pages no longer spuriously claim to have been updated, they do still spuriously claim that they're going to be updated in about a minute. Is it quite resource heavy for these pages to update fequently? I notice some pages update very quickly. When I look at my games from the last 30 days, new games seem to appear straight away, although I think they actually go back more than 30 days.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In hyper numbers, it's sometimes very laggy at the start of rounds, even if Apterous in general doesn't seem particularly laggy at the time. This is before the selection comes up. So I pick however many from the top, then the delay and then the numbers go up and everything runs smoothly.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

On some of the variants (the obscure ones), the glory roll doesn't seem to work properly for them. I have top losing score of 0 for Gevin's Delight, despite never scoring 0. And I have the high score for it but that isn't mentioned. Also my top score for Numberbash isn't mentioned (although things like top losing score are).