Tuesday 5th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 1, Game 13)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Tuesday 5th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 1, Game 13)

Post by James Robinson »

So, just a quarter of the 1st round matches to go, and these last 3 matches have just made me want some more 30th Birthday Championship goodness. :D :D :D

So, time for me to gorge myself, and for you to enjoy. ;) :) :D

Countdown recap for Tuesday 5 February 2013.

C1: Series 28 Runner-Up & CoC VII Quarter-Finalist Wayne Kelly (12 Games, 9 Wins, 745 Points.) A government finance adviser from Warrington, Cheshire.
C2: Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst (12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,384 Points.) An Apteforumite and mathematics student at Pembroke College, Cambridge, originally from Desford, Leicestershire. He, for some reason, seems to be wearing a jumper with smiling aubergines on it......... :? :? :P :P
DC: Susie Dent and Kate Adie.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: T U R N E Y I L A
R02: G T M O E A P L C
R03: T I F P O U B S E
R04: D I E T L U J N A
R05: 75, 7, 8, 1, 10, 7. Target: 223.
TTT: LADYCROW - "Crow isn't a bird this word relates to, it's more like chicken"
R06: S D C N O I E A T
R07: M E V S U A Q F D
R08: S R N T I O I E A
R09: D E R G U E T L I
R10: 75, 6, 7, 7, 1, 9. Target: 150.
TTT: BAKEDEED - "The turkey's nice, but it lacks bite"
R11: Z A S H R O E W T
R12: P S G N O U I G S
R13: N E A R W I L S E
R14: 75, 7, 3, 4, 10, 10. Target: 262.
R15: S O U P O H E R O (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: T U R N E Y I L A

C1: TENURIAL (8)
C2: UNREALITY (18)
Score: 0–18 (max 18)

Well, well, well, another 9er start for Jack. Wayne might be a bit shell-shocked there, but his experience as the 2011 UK Scrabble Champion should let him keep his composure at least. :)

Round 2: G T M O E A P L C

C1: POLECAT (7)
C2: COMPLEAT (8)
Score: 0–26 (max 26)

Well, 26-0 already. Not sounding defeatist, but it's gonna take something almighty to overturn Jack, even at this early stage :!: :!:

Round 3: T I F P O U B S E

C1: POSTIE (6)
C2: PITEOUS (7)
DC: OBTUSE (6) POUFIEST (8)
Score: 0–33 (max 34)

3 darrens on the spin for Jack. Well, I think it should be, but unfortunately, it isn't quite right, mainly because POUFIEST is in even though it does look very odd without the double O.............. :roll:

Round 4: D I E T L U J N A

C1: LANDTIE (7)
C2: LANDTIE (7)
OT: DILUENT (7) JAUNTED (7) UNIDEAL (7)
Score: 7–40 (max 41)

Not a darren this time, but still an impressive performance from Jack so far, and it's nice to see Wayne off the mark too. :)

Round 5: 75, 7, 8, 1, 10, 7. Target: 223.

C1: 223. ((10 - 7) x 75) - (8 - 7 + 1) (10)
C2: 223. ((10 - 7) x 75) - (8 - 7 + 1) (10)
Score: 17–50 (max 51)

Not the hardest numbers game of all time, but I'm sure that Jack will be happy to have a half century and such an early stage of the game. 8-)

Kate talks about getting used to reporting in war-torn areas of the world and how to cope when things go wrong.

Teatime teaser: LADYCROW -> COWARDLY

Round 6: S D C N O I E A T

C1: CATENOIDS (18)
C2: CATENOIDS (18)
OT: SONICATED (18)
Score: 35–68 (max 69)

Another 9 in the collection box for Jack, and Wayne gets it too. 8-) 8-)

We're not heading for record breaking territory, are we.................... :?: :?: :?:

Round 7: M E V S U A Q F D

C1: AMUSED (6)
C2: AMUSED (6)
DC: MAUVES (6)
OT: MASQUE (6) MEDUSA (6)
Score: 41–74 (max 75)

The worst round of the day so far, but at least there's no nasty odd 7 in this round here. :)

Round 8: S R N T I O I E A

C1: RAINIEST (8)
C2: SERIATION (18)
Score: 41–92 (max 93)

Interesting dialogue during the pick of the letters, after the 2nd I was picked, Jack seemed noticeably disappointed, but after the E came out, Rachel asked what he wanted to come out, he said A, and lo and behold, it was an A!!!

Cue a rather awkward 30 seconds with Wayne frantically trying to find the 9 that was there, while Jack just wrote it down and tried not to look smug about it............. :roll:

Round 9: D E R G U E T L I

C1: GUILDER (7)
C2: ERUDITE (7)
OT: DILUTER (7) GUILTED (7) RETILED (7)
Score: 48–99 (max 100)

Another max round puts Jack on 99 after 9. Interesting fact: The highest score after 10 rounds is Kirk's 101 from his 130 game (not Friday's episode, but the game against Peter Bennett back in Series 60), can Jack make it a new record in a couple of minutes time................ :?: :?:

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of the places with fused names that mean the same thing, "Avon", "Grasmere", "Ferryhill", "Canvey Island", "Cheadle" and "Cheddar Gorge".

Round 10: 75, 6, 7, 7, 1, 9. Target: 150.

C1: 150. (9 - 7) x 75 (10)
C2: 150. (9 - 7) x 75 (10)
Score: 58–109 (max 110)

Well, with an easy numbers like that, he can of course. :D :D

So, as we head into the 3rd half, Jack is just 38 points away from a record that has been untouched for over 10 years, the legendary 146 of Julian Fell, from his game with Danny Hamilton in the Series 48 semi-final back in 2002. Is it about to be blown away today :?: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :o

I SO HOPE SO!!!!!! :) :) :) :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)

Teatime teaser: BAKEDEED -> DEBEAKED

Round 11: Z A S H R O E W T

C1: EARSHOT (7)
C2: EARSHOT (7)
OT: SWATHER (7) WREATHS (7)
Score: 65–116 (max 117)

Both contestants remain within EARSHOT. 31 to go in 4 rounds. Realistically, assuming he gets the numbers and conundrum, he just needs to score in both these letters games............

A SWATHER is a device attached to a mowing machine for raising the uncut fallen grain and marking the limit of the swath.

Just before the next round starts, Nick asks Jack if he knew what the highest ever score was............. Jack replies that it's 146, trying to feign he was guessing, but he clearly knew. :geek: :ugeek: Omen I wonder............ :?: :?: :?:

Round 12: P S G N O U I G S

C1: SOUPING (7)
C2: spousing
DC: possing
OT: POUSSIN (7) SOUSING (7) SPINOUS (7)
Score: 72–116 (max 124)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! Admittedly, I thought spousing was good too, but to see Jack go for it, when he probably didn't need to is just sheer agony, and to lose his potential record like that too is even more heartbreaking. :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well, let's not lose hope. Another 9 in this last letters game can still get him that almighty record. ;) :) :D

Round 13: N E A R W I L S E

C1: WEANERS (7)
C2: REALISE (7)
DC: EARLIES (7) RENEWALS (8)
Score: 79–123 (max 132)

Oh dear, well that's ended our dreams a bit prematurely. :( :cry:

He does look noticeably disappointed at losing his chance of setting a new high score, but at least he still has the chance of beating Chris Davies' score of 139 to get the 2nd highest score of all time. 8-) 8-)

Round 14: 75, 7, 3, 4, 10, 10. Target: 262.

C1: 262. ((75 + 10) x 3) + 7 (10)
C2: 262. ((75 + 10) x 3) + 7 (10)
Score: 89–133 (max 142)

Easy numbers game sailed through easily. :) HERE IT COMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Round 15: S O U P O H E R O

C2 buzzes on 3.5 seconds to say POORHOUSE which is correct.
Final Score: 89–143 (max 152)

HE'S ONLY GONE AND DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

But, the mood in the studio goes a bit sour after Nick informs the audience of his impressive achievement, as Jack rues his "open goal" at missing on the chance of 150 points and the new record for himself, instead deciding to wallow on a missed opportunity.

Big credit goes to Wayne too for maintaining composure and still scoring 89 points, despite only getting 1 of the 3 nines. 8-)

I'm sure Jack will be feeling angry inside internally for that miss in round 12, but anyone who scores 143 in a game of Countdown should be happy with themselves. It might be a bit of sour grapes, and is a sort of unfortunate talking point from yet another momentous game, but we should still praise Jack for getting 143 points.

He will be back on Valentine's Day, when he'll not play Jack Worsley, as Nick suggested, but will be up against Chris Wills, in what should be a classic game, hopefully remembered for all the right reasons. :D

I'll recap that match too. My next recap will be on Thursday, when Darryl Francis takes on Barry Grossman in a battle of the past champions. 8-)

Jack Worsley will be with you tomorrow for the very tasty encounter between Conor Travers and Mark Tournoff.

So, till then, bye bye.

Statistics Corner

Wayne:
Total score - 89
Raw score - 118
Total % of max - 59
Raw % of max - 78
Total average score per round - 5.9
Raw average score per round - 7.9
Number of maxes - 9

Jack:
Total score - 143
Raw score - 143
Total % of max - 94
Raw % of max - 94
Total average score per round - 9.5
Raw average score per round - 9.5
Number of maxes - 12 8-) 8-)

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=-16
Last edited by James Robinson on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Re: Tuesday 5th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 1, Game 13

Post by Conor »

James Robinson wrote: Round 3: T I F P O U B S E

DC: OBTUSE (6) poufiest
Score: 0–33 (max 33)

3 darrens on the spin for Jack, mainly because poufiest isn't in, despite what Susie says.............. :roll: :oops:
It's allowed. pouf is listed as an alternative to poof, and poofier and poofiest are specified. pouf inherits all derivatives of poof, and for a precedent: Episode 4106, where tsar is the main heading, tzar and czar are alternatives and tsardom is the derivative.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Conor wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Round 3: T I F P O U B S E

DC: OBTUSE (6) poufiest
Score: 0–33 (max 33)

3 darrens on the spin for Jack, mainly because poufiest isn't in, despite what Susie says.............. :roll: :oops:
It's allowed. pouf is listed as an alternative to poof, and poofier and poofiest are specified. pouf inherits all derivatives of poof, and for a precedent: Episode 4106, where tsar is the main heading, tzar and czar are alternatives and tsardom is the derivative.
Hmmm, so interesting how it all turns around, after we all basically say it's rubbish in the spoiler thread. :P

Does anyone have a photo of the actual dictionary page, so we can settle it just to be sure................ :?: :?:
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

James Robinson wrote:
Conor wrote: It's allowed. pouf is listed as an alternative to poof, and poofier and poofiest are specified. pouf inherits all derivatives of poof, and for a precedent: Episode 4106, where tsar is the main heading, tzar and czar are alternatives and tsardom is the derivative.
Hmmm, so interesting how it all turns around, after we all basically say it's rubbish in the spoiler thread. :P

Does anyone have a photo of the actual dictionary page, so we can settle it just to be sure................ :?: :?:
You mean you don't have one yourself?! Mark D looked it up for me, and it says:

poof (also pouf or poove) > noun, Brit, informal, derogatory: an effeminate or homosexual man.
-DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

POUFIEST is in, despite what Robbo says.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It doesn't specificially say that POUFY is an acceptable variant of POOFY, but the whole entry as quoted above makes it obvious that it rather doesn't need to. POUFIEST should, as far as I can tell, be in.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Conor wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Conor wrote: It's allowed. pouf is listed as an alternative to poof, and poofier and poofiest are specified. pouf inherits all derivatives of poof, and for a precedent: Episode 4106, where tsar is the main heading, tzar and czar are alternatives and tsardom is the derivative.

You mean you don't have one yourself?! Mark D looked it up for me, and it says:

poof (also pouf or poove) > noun, Brit, informal, derogatory: an effeminate or homosexual man.
-DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)
I was on in Series 49 and 60, that means I have a NODE and an ODE2r, but not an ODE3.

But, thank you for setting it straight, if that's the right word for that definition. :P :P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Er, I think the fact that Susie actually gave the word kinda says it's allowed, no matter what you twats say.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:Er, I think the fact that Susie actually gave the word kinda says it's allowed, no matter what you twats say.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe when someone offers STOWAGES on the show we'll see.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

POOVEIEST is a nine worth knowing. It's in, after all.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:POOVEIEST is a nine worth knowing. It's in, after all.
I don't think that's in, in the same way that stuff like CAMPERYS are not in.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:POOVEIEST is a nine worth knowing. It's in, after all.
I don't think that's in, in the same way that stuff like CAMPERYS are not in.
Yeah, there's stuff in the beginning of the dictionary which tells you how to form plurals as well as verb tenses. Is there anything there for forming comparative and superlative adjectives? (I hope there is, so stuff like POOVEIEST isn't valid.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I can't be bothered to check, but I think it says that plurals of nouns ending in Y are always specified (example: LUNACIES). But in the case of derivative nouns like CAMPERY and NAILERY (not sure if that's still in), plurals are uniformly not specified. But to avoid stuff like CAMPERYS and NAILERYS which we are almost certain wouldn't be allowed by Susie, we make a small leap of faith to CAMPERIES and NAILERIES. I think we can safely do the same with POUVE, which I think would be POUVY anyway. And even if it was POUVEY, the comparative and superlative would still be POUVIER and POUVIEST.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Er, I think the fact that Susie actually gave the word kinda says it's allowed, no matter what you twats say.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe when someone offers STOWAGES on the show we'll see.
Well yeah, and we'll see by whether or not she allows it. This is why the whole concept of maxery is unofficial - at the end of the day, what Susie decides really is the final word. But only on that particular day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What happens if instead of "poof (also pouf or poove) > noun, DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)", we have "poof (also poofo or poofman) > noun, DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)"? Where do you take these words?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What happens if instead of "poof (also pouf or poove) > noun, DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)", we have "poof (also poofo or poofman) > noun, DERIVATIVES poofy adjective (poofier, poofiest)"? Where do you take these words?
I think if the dictionary is being obviously retarded then we can safely assume Susie will not allow it. And nor should we necessarily...
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

James, it's "Ferryhill" not "Furry Hill"' :o
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Lucy Gowers wrote:James, it's "Ferryhill" not "Furry Hill"' :o
It took me ages to find something along those lines. :P :oops: :lol: