Monday 30th May 2011 (Series 64, QF #3)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Monday 30th May 2011 (Series 64, QF #3)

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Countdown recap for Monday 30 May 2011.

Welcome to my last recap of Series 64 and it proves to be quite an important one since we are at the quarter-final stage of this contest. In case you have forgotten anything over the weekend then on Thursday Michelle Nevitt was disposed of by the number one seed Adam Gillard and on Friday Edward (despite a couple of nerves) easily fought off Andrew McNamara to earn a semi-final place. Today, the winner of this match will play Edward McCullagh in Thursday's semi final, so let's take a look and see who has the opportunity to face Ed.

C1: Champion Tom Barnes (8 wins, 822 points.)
C2: Champion Mary Adie (5 wins, 498 points.)
DC: Susie Dent and Gregg Wallace.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: N F G E I E Z O T
R02: T C L N I E A S H
R03: C M D I E O R E S
R04: S R T M P I E A O
R05: 100, 25, 75, 50, 4, 5. Target: 922.
TTT: SUPERART - "Super works of art can bring these joys to many"
R06: S M X E U N D S I
R07: Y P W O A U N A R
R08: D V T G L E O U A
R09: B R G E A I D A S
R10: 75, 25, 100, 50, 7, 6. Target: 793.
TTT: DUFFBEER - "Polish the furniture again before being turned down"
R11: L T K E I A B I N
R12: R W J N F E O I H
R13: T D S E I E T O R
R14: 50, 25, 75, 100, 6, 7. Target: 283.
R15: O N E U S E R G O (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

By now they need no introduction in terms of what they do or where they come from, particularly the number 3 seed Tom Barnes who won 8 games just a couple of weeks ago. I'll give you the run down on Tom's octo-stats:

Highest Score: 123 vs Stuart Pecksen on May 12th
Lowest Score: 86 vs Brian Gale on May 18th
Largest Margin of Victory: 112 points vs Christine Buffrey on May 16th
Percentage of Max: 80.35% (822/1023)
Conundrum Success Rate: 5/8

And in the number 6 seed corner is Mary Adie the second of 2 Scottish (and only) women to make it to these finals. Mary might not have been here if she didn't cancel her planned flight around Loch Lomond for the fourth time. That's dedication for you, not swanning off on holiday with your grandkids instead, not mentioning any name. GRAHAM HILL. And so let's take a look at Mary 'I Have Hair Like Princess Anne' Adie's stats [/Jordan F].

Highest Score:105 (including tie break conundrum) vs Barbara Grice on April 18th
Lowest Score: 58 (in a loss) against Chris Childs on April 22nd (Lowest winning score was 85 against Aidan Casey on April 19th)
Largest Margin of Victory: 46 points vs Anne Senneck on April 20th
Percentage of Max: 69.75% (498/714) (Does not include TB conundrum points)
Conundrum Success Rate: 3/6 not including TB conundrum, 4/7 including TB conundrum

So what do we make of these stats and more importantly what do I make of them since I am The Recapper (a good name for a movie villain (or not)).

The fact that Tom is an octochamp is clear evidence that he can beat most opposition in front of him and so on this basis I would expect him to come through today's. Not only that but he now holds the record for the largest winning margin in Countdown history which doesn't exactly stand for nothing combine that with his high score of 123 (also my highest score) and his relatively decisive conundrum solves then I can see this going only one way. Mary has shown glimpses of consistency and quality at the same time when notching up 105 points however the two aren't seen together enough which for me makes this one a bit of a no brainer to call. The only way I can see Mary winning is by her performing like she did against Barbara Grice and for Tom to play like he did against Brian Gale. Even then the contest would be close.

Of course this all could be irrelevant as Tom might have gone out the night before this game and could have a massive headache and underperform.

Gregg Wallace of MasterChef fame has been booked this week for the finals and I'd say that's a pretty good deal there as he was generally liked by the majority of people when he appeared earlier in the series.

Let's get this ball rolling...good luck to both!

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: N F G E I E Z O T

C1: tiefing
C2: TEEING (6)
OT: FEEING (6) FETING (6) TOEING (6) ZOFTIG (6)
Score: 0–6 (max 6)

Interesting. Interesting indeed. Despite Tom's word being valid there isn't 2 I's in the selection. In fact you could say Tom's 2 eyes weren't in that selection. Ahahahaha. No comment on his third eye though.

Round 2: T C L N I E A S H

C1: ELASTIC (7)
C2: LATCHES (7)
DC: CLEANISH (8) CHATLINES (18)
Score: 7–13 (max 24)

I was informed on my arrival to the studio that CHATLINES was missed by Innis Carson proving that he is human after all. It wasn't missed by Susie though whilst Tom and Mary match one another. Gregg was quite funny here as he said something like "I got CHATLINES from Susie, I just dialled [insert number] and got it off Susie." You know, the joke being that Susie was one of these call girls and she spoke on CHATLINES. Do you get it?*

Person 1: What's red and itchy?
Person 2: Dunno.
Person 1: Fanny rash, do you get it?
Person 2: Yeah, lol.
Person 1: Hahahahahaha you get fanny rash. Look everybody, he get's fanny rash!!!

Round 3: C M D I E O R E S

C1: MEDIOCRE (8)
C2: SCORED (6)
DC: DORMICE (7) COMEDIES (8)
Score: 15–13 (max 32)

A particularly poor round from Mary here as she is left flummoxed on only a 6 leaving Tom to pick out one of the 2 maxes and take the lead for the first time. Surely there is no looking back from here?

Round 4: S R T M P I E A O

C1: PRIMATES (8)
C2: IMPOSTER (8)
DC: STOMPIER (8)
OT: AMORTISE (8) ATOMISER (8) PASTORIE (8) SEPTORIA (8)
Score: 23–21 (max 40)

Flattie round. But still, Tom and Mary get an 8 each which is more than can be said for some people this series who would sport MASTER for 6.

Round 5: 100, 25, 75, 50, 4, 5. Target: 922.

C1: 925. (4+5)*100+25 (7)
C2: 925. (4+5)*100+25 (7)
OT: 921. 50*(25-5)-75-4 (7)
Score: 30–28 (max 47)

Tom goes for his usual 4 large and luckily for Mary the target proves too hard for either of them meaning they settle for 7 points each by getting very easily to the 925. This was an impossible target of which Rachel got 1 away from and some might say that Tom probably was a bit annoyed at not getting to 921.

DC Guest Time: Gregg has a little chat with Jeff about things. Foody things.

Teatime teaser: SUPERART -> RAPTURES

Round 6: S M X E U N D S I

C1: UNISEX (6)
C2: UNMIXED (7)
DC: MISUSED (7)
OT: DIMNESS (7) MINUSES (7) NIDUSES (7) NUDISMS (7)
Score: 30–35 (max 54)

The plot thickens. I didn't expect Mary to come back with a beater but her gamble with UNMIXED works wonders for her and she leads for the second time in the game.

Round 7: Y P W O A U N A R

C1: PRAWN (5)
C2: APRON (5)
DC: RUNAWAY (7)
Score: 35–40 (max 61)

I thought Tom might have been tempted by PRAWNY^ but thankfully he keeps cool and sticks with his 5 to match Mary and keep 5 points behind her. Only DC can do better by spotting the darren. Excellent play from the corner and the word reminds me of Del Shannon and sparks me into a little sing-song. Perhaps a feature request for Countdown could be for appropriate music to be played into the studio when somebody announces a word that is a one-word song title? I can just picture it now with words like WIPEOUT coming up [cue music] and perhaps YESTERDAY for 9. I digress, as it stands Mary has the lead at the half-way point which I'm sure has surprised a few people.

Round 8: D V T G L E O U A

C1: GLOATED (7)
C2: OVULATED (8)
Score: 35–48 (max 69)

Fuck me. Mary is playing out of her skin right now after spotting the darren in this round. You can see in Tom's face that he was probably not expecting this and he really is going to have to dig in deep to pull himself back into the game. The audience starts to rouse.

Round 9: B R G E A I D A S

C1: BRIGADES (8)
C2: BRIGADES (8)
DC: BRIDGES (7) ABRIDGES (8)
Score: 43–56 (max 77)

No one is budging now as it's maxes all round (except for Gregg) and I bet Tom is wondering just what can he do to penetrate the iron exterior of Mary (hey, that's no way to talk about Mary's vajayjay). Perhaps the numbers game will offer an opportunity.

Susie's Slot: Susie rudely interrupts both contestants amidst an important numbers game. As I was saying...

Round 10: 75, 25, 100, 50, 7, 6. Target: 793.

C1: 793. (100+25)*6+50-7 (10)
C2: 794.
Score: 53–56 (max 87)

Bloody hell Mary! Mary amazingly goes for 4 large numbers (Tom's favourite) and quite predictably loses out on 10 points in this round to Tom. Just what was she thinking? Tom will be relieved to go into the ad break with only a 3-point deficit now.

Teatime teaser: DUFFBEER -> REBUFFED

Round 11: L T K E I A B I N

C1: BLANKET (7)
C2: BLANKET (7)
OT: BEATNIK (7) KAINITE (7)
Score: 60–63 (max 94)

Yep that pretty much jumped out at everyone and the rounds are ticking by fast if Tom wants to try and regain a lead before the conundrum which looks certain to be a crucial.

Round 12: R W J N F E O I H

C1: JOINER (6)
C2: JOINER (6)
OT: HEROIN (6) REJOIN (6) WHINER (6)
Score: 66–69 (max 100)

Tom's 4th consecutive max shows how he has stepped it up towards the end but Mary shows no sign of quivering. 6's available in abundance (a bun dance (Impossible Quiz)) and so we have just one letters, one numbers and a conundrum to go with Mary (the #6 seed) leading the octochamp Tom.

Round 13: T D S E I E T O R

C1: DOTTIER (7)
C2: DOTTIER (7)
DC: RESITED (7) EDITORS (7)
OT: ROSETTED (8) TETRODES (8)
Score: 73–76 (max 108)

This was perhaps a chance for apterite Tom to pick off one of the apto-type 8's available but I guess under this pressure that he will be happy just to remain in contact with Mary (in the game, I don't mean like start sending postcards and emails and stuff). The audience now realises the exciting climax that is surely upon us, that Tom if he is to win this contest will have to face a crucial conundrum but first must get through a nervous numbers round. What will Mary go for this time? Not 4 large I should think.

Round 14: 50, 25, 75, 100, 6, 7. Target: 283.

C1: 287.
C2: 282. 6*50-25+7 (7)
RR: 283. 100+75+(25-7)*6 (10)
Score: 73–83 (max 118)

Astonishing. In a moment of madness Mary changes her tact and opts for 4 large in this most tense numbers round. Amazingly Mary betters Tom at his own game but agonisingly is just 10 points ahead. If Tom is to win he will need to answer 2 conundrums correctly to complete one of Countdown's best comebacks in history. Can he do it? Well, let's dim those lights and reveal...today's...crucial...Countdown...conundrum.

Round 15: O N E U S E R G O

5 SECONDS HAVE PASSED

10 SECONDS HAVE PASSED

15 SECONDS HAVE PASSED

JUST 5 SECONDS REMAIN ON THE CLOCK...SOMEBODY BUZZZZ!!!!!

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....and it's Mary on 28 seconds to say...GOOSERUN^ which is of course wrong (giving Tom a little more time to unscramble).

RESTART THE CLOCK...

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....and here's Tom on 29 seconds to say...NEUROOGES^ which is incorrect.

The answer was EROGENOUS and was answered by Richard Everley in the audience.

Final Score: 73–83 (max 128)

Well it's over folks. Mary has completed an unlikely upset and something which I didn't think she had in her. She is clearly made of sterner stuff and Mary's husband is so proud of her in the audience. Mary storms into the semi-finals of series 64 having competed in one of the best games of this series. Magnificent.

What now for Tom? Well, I have to say, I didn't expect that and I felt a bit sorry for Tom as I know he could have performed better and it could be him playing Edward on Thursday. I enjoyed your time on the show Tom and well done on what you have achieved, particularly that piece of history that you made in your 5th game.

A closing sentence from me. Thanks for reading my recaps for series 64 and hope to see you in series 65, join Rhys tomorrow in what could be an even tighter and more dramatic game tomorrow when Andy McGurn and Ned Pendleton lock horns to fight for the final semi-final spot.

Good day!

(Apologies for only just getting round to putting commentary on this game on Wednesday. Was rather pressed for time on Monday.)

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=64
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: Monday 30th May 2011 (Series 64, QF #3)

Post by Thomas Carey »

You've got the conundrum guessers the wrong way round.
cheers maus
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

This recap has now had some commentary and substance added to it to make it a bit more 3-dimensional. Sorry for the delay guys (and gals).
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Now that's more like it... well worth waiting for... :)