Tuesday, 19th February, 2008 (Series 58, Game 35)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Tuesday, 19th February, 2008 (Series 58, Game 35)

Post by David O'Donnell »

Countdown recap for Tuesday 19th February 2008.

C1: Champion Tim Reypert (7 wins, 660 points.)
C2: Challenger Jennie Ferris.
DC: Susie Dent and Nicholas Owen.
CV: Carol Vorderman.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: M N R D A E O P O
R02: S N E P I E S R B
R03: T S D A E O P H I
R04: R N U G S E I W Y
R05: 10, 3, 5, 9, 5, 75. Target: 737.
TTT: RAWBISON - "Richard of York gave batter in vain twice"
R06: K M O I F M E C O
R07: P X N A I E S O N
R08: C Q E O J U I D T
R09: S T C E A E L G O
R10: 6, 2, 7, 8, 9, 100. Target: 739.
TTT: LAGERTIN - "There are three sides to this answer"
R11: T N D E A E T D U
R12: L V O E T A O L R
R13: G R M E I U T S E
R14: 10, 1, 2, 3, 7, 75. Target: 573.
R15: S U P E R R E D S (conundrum)

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Tim's been plodding along, in his own unique way, and has really gone under the radar as far as forumite recognition is concerned. Though he seemed like a decent player I am not sure how many people would have been tipping him to get this close to earning the title of octochamp... but here he is. His current total of 660 means that he probably won't be dislodging Michael MacDonald-Cooper in the top spot. That would require a win with a score in excess of 120 which doesn't really seem to be on the cards given Tim's previous scores ... but who knows? Well, let's see................

Round 1: M N R D A E O P O
C1: POMANDER (8)
C2: DOORMAN (7)
OT: MAROONED (8) Matthew Green
Score: 8–0 (max 8)

Round 2: S N E P I E S R B
C1: REPINES (7)
C2: SPINES (6)
DC: RIPENESS (8)
OT: PENISES (7) Matthew Green
Score: 15–0 (max 16)

Round 3: T S D A E O P H I
C1: ADIPOSE (7)
C2: HOSTED (6)
DC: PITHEADS (8)
OT: DIOPTASE (8) POTHEADS (8) Matthew Green
Score: 22–0 (max 24)

Round 4: R N U G S E I W Y
C1: SWINGER (7)
C2: WINGERS (7)
OT: GURNEYS (7) SYRINGE (7) Matthew Green and Joseph Bolas
Score: 29–7 (max 31)

Round 5: 10, 3, 5, 9, 5, 75. Target: 737.
C1: 737.Mistake in working.
C2: 737.75*10-5-5-3 (10)
Score: 29–17 (max 41)

Teatime teaser: RAWBISON -> RAINBOWS

Round 6: K M O I F M E C O
C1: COOKIE (6)
C2: commie (Capitalised)
DC: COOKIE (6) MOOK
OT: COOKIE (6) is the only one
Score: 35–17 (max 47)

Round 7: P X N A I E S O N
C1: EXPANSION (18)
C2: SPINE (5)
Score: 53–17 (max 65)

Round 8: C Q E O J U I D T
C1: QUOTED (6)
C2: QUOTED (6)
OT: QUOITED (7)
Score: 59–23 (max 72)

I am fairly sure I have had QUOITED come up in an online game but I still managed to miss it watching today's game, fortunately my solver has no such lapses in concentration or memory. QUOITS are flat discs of metal that are thrown in a game of skill also called QUOITS and it is from the latter that we derive the verb to QUOIT.

Round 9: S T C E A E L G O
C1: LOCATES (7)
C2: CLEATS (6)
DC: GELCOATS (8)
Score: 66–23 (max 80)

Round 10: 6, 2, 7, 8, 9, 100. Target: 739.
C1: 739.(100+6)*7-2+8-9 (10)
C2: 739.7*100+(8*6)-9 (10)
Score: 76–33 (max 90)

Teatime teaser: LAGERTIN -> TRIANGLE

Round 11: T N D E A E T D U
C1: DAUNTED (7)
C2: NETTED (6)
DC: TAUNTED (7) ATTENDED (8)
OT: TAUTENED (8) Jack Welsby or Jono, I cannot remember which.
Score: 83–33 (max 98)

Round 12: L V O E T A O L R
C1: TRAVEL (6)
C2: LOVAT (5)
DC: OVERALL (7)
OT: REALLOT (7) LEVATOR (7)
Score: 89–33 (max 105)

Round 13: G R M E I U T S E
C1: GESTURE (7)
C2: MUSTIER (7)
DC: REGIMES (7) GERMIEST (8)
OT: EMERITUS (8)
Score: 96–40 (max 113)

EMERITUS as in EMERITUS Professor is an honorary title awarded to academic staff who have held distinguished careers at a particular university.

Round 14: 10, 1, 2, 3, 7, 75. Target: 573.
C1: 572.(7+1)*75-(10*3)+2 (7)
C2: 577.
OT: 573. (10-3)*(75+7)-1 (10) Craig Beevers (and me, honest)
Score: 103–40 (max 123)

Round 15: S U P E R R E D S
C1 buzzes on 3 seconds to say PRESSURED which is correct.
Score: 113–40 (max 133)

So Tim nearly did hit the 120. The somewhat scary thing is that we are only less than two months in and we have three octochamps, at this rate we could be heading for nine! Could this be the first ever series where an octochamp will be denied a place in the finals and why the f**K would it have to be the series in which I am playing? Could be worse, I could have been in last series playing Craig. :o This isn't about me, this is Tim's moment, so well done sir, and if you are reading this I will see you in April/May/June.

One little point, well actually two little points. The first little point is that, for Mighty Boosh fans, Tim sounds like 'Old Gregg' ... a little. The other little point is that Tim has a tendency to look askance at his opponent when he, himself, has spotted a decent word. I have noticed that this has sometimes cost Tim a little thinking time. For instance he probably could have spotted RIPENESS today had the concentration been there. There was another semi-disaster with the first numbers game. I don't mean these comments as criticism I just think that Tim has been on cruise control a little and it will be interesting to see how he performs in the QFs when everything won't be so plain-sailing ... that's assuming, of course, that a 773 Octavian performance will be sufficient to get to the finals ;)

Further summaries are at:
http://www.thecountdowncorral.com/cd/se ... ?series=58
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Re: Tuesday, 19th February, 2008 (Series 58, Game 35)

Post by Julian Fell »

Just thought I'd make a quick re-appearance to say really well done to Tim, for his octochampship and especially for today's performance. In two consecutive letters rounds he beat me by a two-letter margin, I'm not sure that's ever happened to me before in the 15-round era! (I only got 4 in the round where Tim had COOKIE, and only had SAPONIN when he got the brilliant EXPANSION)

Great stuff... Tim is a bit inconsistent and does miss a lot, especially on the numbers, but he'll be a worthy opponent for anyone in the QFs. I have to say he's beaten me on more letters rounds during his run than either David O or Michael M-C did!
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

David, I see you implied that you don't know the recording date of the finals. Well I thought you might be interested to know: 28th/29th April. Not that I'll be there :P

This post is a bit off-topic, so I'll add another well done to Tim, even if he had a couple of a bad habits (checking the clock to see how long it took him to get the conundrums, scribbling away when people were talking).
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Joe Denniss wrote:David, I see you implied that you don't know the recording date of the finals. Well I thought you might be interested to know: 28th/29th April. Not that I'll be there :P

Thanks very much, I got a compliments slip telling me late May, then I got one for April so I wasn't sure. It's a bit sooner that I would have expected **getting nervous**.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

David O'Donnell wrote:Tim's been plodding along, in his own unique way, and has really gone under the radar as far as forumite recognition is concerned. Though he seemed like a decent player I am not sure how many people would have been tipping him to get this close to earning the title of octochamp... but here he is. His current total of 660 means that he probably won't be dislodging Michael MacDonald-Cooper in the top spot. That would require a win with a score in excess of 120 which doesn't really seem to be on the cards given Tim's previous scores ... but who knows? Well, let's see................
David, are you not in first place? What total score did you and Michael get?

PS. I hope you face Tim and destroy him- I really find his arrogance misplaced. I hadn't spotted EXPANSION but because of his smug look I knew there must be a 9 and hence it materialised. Poor tactics from the wincing wonder...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Matthew Green wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:...... he probably won't be dislodging Michael MacDonald-Cooper in the top spot.
David, are you not in first place? What total score did you and Michael get?
Bugger! You're right, Matthew. I sometimes forget that I am actually in this series: I am so used to commentating on players. My total is 880, I am an eejit sometimes.

Matthew Green wrote:PS. I hope you face Tim and destroy him- I really find his arrogance misplaced. I hadn't spotted EXPANSION but because of his smug look I knew there must be a 9 and hence it materialised. Poor tactics from the wincing wonder...
I really don't think he's arrogant rather he seems to have a timid way about him. I think he just does the quite normal thing of stopping when he has a good word then checking his opponent to see what they got. Perhaps I shouldn't have pointed this trait out but then we'd all seen it anyway. My own logic was to keep the head down regardless because who knows? I might have made a mistake, seen a phantom letter etc. . That doesn't stop me wanting to destroy him too! However, as Julian pointed out he cannot be underestimated. The spectres of Steve briers and James Hurrell have been haunting my dreams of late.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

No, he's not a bad player but he's certainly not an elitist so to speak. I can't imagine he would beat you or MMC in a million years.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Congratulations to Tim for getting his 8th win. I found him quite strange to play against. At times I felt I would comfortably beat him and then at others found myself behind and surprised at some of his excellent words.

I think David will be too strong, particularly on the numbers. You never know though; some easy numbers and Tim getting a nine....

I think it would be very close between MMC and Tim, I guess as their totals suggest.

Oh, and thanks David for pointing it out ;-) Before my QF I also had thought about Steven Briers loss. I guess best advice is don't think about it!!!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Sorry mate, I didn't mean to stir painful memories but I just know that I won't be underestimating anybody once the Quarter Finals come.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote: Round 15: S U P E R R E D S
C1 buzzes on 3 seconds to say PRESSURED which is correct.
Score: 113–40 (max 133)
No one commented at the time so I thought I'd point out that Tim solved all of his last six conundrums (although he did miss the first two.) Definitely a strength to be aware of for the finals!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Yes, Julian was very quick to defend his letters ability from attacks too. I think some interpreted my recap as a dig which it certainly wasn't meant to be.