Which football team do you support?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Re: Which football team do you support?

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jon Corby wrote:you got a random player from the finals, and you received £10 for every goal they scored. Presumably they deliberately gave everybody people who weren't very likely to score at all, and we got David. I still remember us all going mental when he scored that goal, which seems like a bit of an overreaction looking back now. Still, I guess £10 was a lot of money back then...
:lol: That's soooo cool and funny, Jon! 8-) Not sure if Dave would appreciate the story or not though if I was to tell him. :? ;)

(BTW £10 is fab! Even nowadays I still think of how far a tenner can stretch for an emergency essential shop [fruit, veg, bread, marg, cereal, baked beans, tin tomoatoes, pasta, fruit juice, etc], when at other times it can be blown quickly on only a bottle of wine and some Kettle Chips for a Friday night. :geek: )
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Just realised I'd not posted on this thread!

The might Greens - Plymouth Argyle!! We're the best team for at least a 3 hour drive in any direction!!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Not sure if Dave would appreciate the story or not though if I was to tell him. :? ;)
Probably - fairly unique for a Scotland goal to be so enthusiastically applauded by a bunch of Englanders!
David Gunn
Rookie

Post by David Gunn »

James Hurrell wrote: The might Greens - Plymouth Argyle!! We're the best team for at least a 3 hour drive in any direction!!
I had a car like that once ...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

don't have much to add other than: LIVERPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
always willing to discuss anything football (particularly current Premiership race) if Countdown ever gets boring.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Matt Morrison wrote: if Countdown ever gets boring.
What?!?!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: if Countdown ever gets boring.
What?!?!
I know, I know. Knew I'd get called up on that!
I didn't even mean it to be honest.

I think we can all be thankful that there's plenty of time in the day for Countdown and football.
I'm not going to incur any more wrath by telling you which I'd choose if I had to give one up...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matt Morrison wrote:I think we can all be thankful that there's plenty of time in the day for Countdown and football.
Well... approx 99% of the forumites will be thankful :lol:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Man Utd. Forever.

Hate Chelsea. Hate Liverpool more. Don't mind Arsenal so much.
I am new to this forum, but straight away I agree with Junaid, it's Man.United all the way. Europe, England and the F.A cup will be conquered this year, just ike 1999
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:

I am new to this forum, but straight away I agree with Junaid, it's Man.United all the way. Europe, England and the F.A cup will be conquered this year, just ike 1999
But not by Man U :lol:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:

You had your chance at that last season and failed miserabley (if you can call winning both the league and Champions League a miserable failure).
John Evans
Rookie

Post by John Evans »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Eoin.V.Monaghan wrote:

But not by Man U :lol:
You're all wrong. Juande Ramos will win the Champions League with Real Madrid, purely for the irony. Oh and West Ham will win everything else (minus any trophies/money/games/pride/survival).
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

John Evans wrote:You're all wrong. Juande Ramos will win the Champions League with Real Madrid, purely for the irony..
I personally can't wait for this.
Rob Francis

Post by Rob Francis »

I'm a Southampton supporter. At least I'm not the only one on this board.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

No choice. Family have supported Fulham since the nineteenth century. It is branded onto us at birth...
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Football sucks. End of.
Right on :mrgreen:
Football doesnt suck. Thinking you've achieved something when 11 people you dont know beat 11 other people you dont know in a contest you have no influence on, that sucks.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
stupatrick

Post by stupatrick »

Shrewsbury town for me, but i am also a huge darts fan
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I've traditionally always followed Liverpool, but I don't care about any particular team enough to say I support them.

I'm a Leeds Rhinos fan in rugby league, but even that is superseded by my support for almost any perceived underdog. Sport thrives on uncertainty, and it feels like there's less than ever at the moment which saddens me.

Oh, and Edinburgh Mavericks Korfball Club of course. 8-)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ross M

Post by Ross M »

Rangers F.C for me ( Glasgow not Queens Park!). It's been a turbulent time for Rangers fans over the past few years but things are beginning to look up a bit.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Ian Volante wrote:I've traditionally always followed Liverpool, but I don't care about any particular team enough to say I support them.

I'm a Leeds Rhinos fan in rugby league, but even that is superseded by my support for almost any perceived underdog. Sport thrives on uncertainty, and it feels like there's less than ever at the moment which saddens me.

I used to like watching Football until those big grown men starting kissing each other when a goal was scored.
Ross M

Post by Ross M »

George Jenkins wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I've traditionally always followed Liverpool, but I don't care about any particular team enough to say I support them.

I used to like watching Football until those big grown men starting kissing each other when a goal was scored.
I guess you could watch womans football instead.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

I have been a Man U supporter since 1958 being lucky enough to see the great Charlton Best and Law era and now after a lengthy gap of about twenty odd years basking in the continued dominance of the Premiership.(some may disagree but statistics dont lie????)

However living in the ex Lancashire now Cheshire town of Warrington I am a Wire sorry Wolves supporter. They are unfortunately not as successful as MU but this could be the season. I vaguely remember the great Brian Bevan and we did have the marvelous Jim Challinor sadly departed from this earth though his name lives on by his widow Wendy and Neil his son who run a sports shop a mere two hundred yards from where I live.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Les Butterworth wrote:I have been a Man U supporter since 1958 being lucky enough to see the great Charlton Best and Law era and now after a lengthy gap of about twenty odd years basking in the continued dominance of the Premiership.(some may disagree but statistics dont lie????)

However living in the ex Lancashire now Cheshire town of Warrington I am a Wire sorry Wolves supporter. They are unfortunately not as successful as MU but this could be the season. I vaguely remember the great Brian Bevan and we did have the marvelous Jim Challinor sadly departed from this earth though his name lives on by his widow Wendy and Neil his son who run a sports shop a mere two hundred yards from where I live.
It would be nice to see Warrington getting somewhere near the grand final - they've had way too little success in the last few decades.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

I support the 2nd best team in the country at the moment- Leicester City :)
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Ross M wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:

I guess you could watch women's football instead.
Why can't we have mixed football teams? Then when a goal is scored, we can watch sexual orgies, going on all over the field. (Is that bad grammar? Should it be "one" Orgie to cover all the sexual activity). In any case, It's bound to be more exciting than the football we watch.