Recording Countdown episodes on PVR & from 4oD

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rodney Watson

Recording Countdown episodes on PVR & from 4oD

Post by Rodney Watson »

I've just repaired a Topfield TF5800 PVR by replacing all of the capacitors in the power supply. I nearly missed Thurday's semi-final after my old PVR, a Sharp TUR-160H failed to record it!

I managed to download it from 4oD using Ubuntu Linux and this special script here: http://www.armedpineapple.co.uk/2012/09 ... 4od-linux/ Phew, Ubuntu saved the day! 8-)

The Topfield seems to be running fine at the moment. Hopefully I won't have any more problems like that again!
I beat Rachel in the numbers game:Wednesday 2nd May 2012 (Series 66, Prelim 77). See this Tweet
I beat Susie with the 9 letter word DERAILING Tuesday 18th March, 2008 (Series 58, Game 51)
Sorry for gloating, these events DO NOT happen often!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Recording Countdown episodes on PVR & from 4oD

Post by Matt Morrison »

I can't wait to see how this thread develops. Can we ask Graeme?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

It sounds very impressive but I didn't understand a word of it. I even had to look up PVR to find out what that stood for!
Rodney Watson

Post by Rodney Watson »

Karen Pearson wrote:It sounds very impressive but I didn't understand a word of it. I even had to look up PVR to find out what that stood for!
PVR stands for Personal Video Recorder, a set top box with a built in hard drive to store TV programmes. The Topfield model mentioned is just like a Sky+ box but only works with Freeview so there's no on going subscription.

The Topfield at the time was the Rolls Royce of the Freeview PVR boxes because it included a USB port on the back which enabled it to be connected to a computer. Previously recorded TV programmes can transferred off it for archiving freeing up hard drive space (this is generally much more difficult to do on other makes and models). It's also very hackable. Small computer programs called TAPs can be transferred to it that add extra features and functions to the machine.

That was then and these Topfields are now a bit 'long in the tooth'. Due to this model not being HD, people changing provider (eg. switching to Sky or Virgin, etc.) they can be obtained on eBay fairly easily. They're also at the age where they're likely to stop working due to some failed component(s) inside them.

Regardless of this they are still good PVR boxes. The large active community for them has provided good support including information on how to get them going again if they stop working. This is much better support than for my old, cheap at the time Sharp PVR which has started to let me down by failing to record programmes many times.

Ubuntu is popular version of the the alternative operating system Linux. 4oD, Channel 4's 'iPlayer' is OK but has too many adverts and the stream is a bit choppy for me on my dodgy internet connection. Being able to download a whole show would be good to stop the irritating pauses when buffering. But they've made it very difficult to do this.

I don't usually watch Countdown live, I usually watch them in bulk at the weekend or whenever. I can then jump the commercial breaks, chit chat, etc. and just get stuck into the game.

Hope this explains things better!
I beat Rachel in the numbers game:Wednesday 2nd May 2012 (Series 66, Prelim 77). See this Tweet
I beat Susie with the 9 letter word DERAILING Tuesday 18th March, 2008 (Series 58, Game 51)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Welcome aboard Rodney!
Rodney Watson

Post by Rodney Watson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Welcome aboard Rodney!
Thanks. I'm not an expert or anything, just a tinkerer who like to mess around with stuff and have a go!

There's an excellent program for Linux called get_iplayer for BBC iPlayer content. It's very good.