Shampoo v Shower Gel

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Shampoo v Shower Gel

Post by Phil Reynolds »

It has come to my attention that there are otherwise supposedly intelligent people (my own partner among them, it shames me to say) who have fallen for one of the biggest marketing cons around at the moment; namely, the idea that "shampoo" and "shower gel" are somehow two distinct products, both of which are needed in order to shower effectively. THIS IS BOLLOCKS. Read the list of ingredients, for crying out loud. There'll be a few minor differences well down the list, mainly in the things they add to make them smell nice, but the active constituents are EXACTLY THE SAME.

I've always been quite happy when in the shower to pick up the nearest bottle of shampoo or shower gel, whatever it happens to be, pour some of it into the palm of my hand, massage it into what's left of my hair to create lather, then use the lather to wash my body with. Job done. But apparently SOME PEOPLE (and I know he's not reading this, but the money that we spend on these pointless products is half mine, so I'm entitled to be annoyed) clean their hair with shampoo, then rinse all that perfectly good lather away, then apply another handful (of shower gel this time) to their bodies and start all over again. Because (get this): "Shampoo is for your hair, and shower gel's for your body, obviously. You put shower gel in your hair? Urrrgh! That's gross!"

I can accept that some people (we're not among them) want to spend a fortune on shampoo with supposedly miraculous technologies (because they're worth it), and you might prefer to use that in your hair rather than plain old shower gel - fine. But why is the lather from that not good enough to wash your skin with? Totally barking.

While writing the above I had a sudden thought: I wonder if liquid handwash is also the same product. Checked the ingredients on the back of a bottle and yep, exactly the same. Principally water of course, although for some reason that has to be specified in Latin; plus detergent and perfume (which for equally obscure reasons is listed in French).

What do you all think? Like I care.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Shampoo v Shower Gel

Post by Jon O'Neill »

There could not be someone less qualified to comment on such a topic.

However, I do use my shampoo lather all over, but I don't use shower gel on my hair. Well, I do sometimes (when there's no shampoo), and it feels weird after. But I accept that might not be the most scientific observation.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I can't really comment on shampoo, but I do get though a lot of coonditioner.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I use anti-dandruff shampoo, although I don't have dandruff - just great looking hair.

I always use a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, and my hair definitely feels different than just using shampoo. You may well be right in that there isn't a great deal of difference between shampoo & shower gel, but add conditioner into the mix, and I'm not sure. Actually, why don't I condition my pubes as well? Would they be less wiry and coarse if I did so?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I remember an old Doris Day movie where the whole premise of the film seemed to be the Stepford Wife washing the children's hair in soap (you know, the solid stuff) and getting a job in advertising from that when they said they preferred it. We tried this and I can only assume soap in the 50s was a much better formula than it is now cos it was horrible. Proper nasty straw feeling.

The Sodium Laureth Sulfate (ugh) is a foaming agent - that's why it's in so much stuff. I know it's a detergent too but that's why it's in everything. I'm intrigued about some of the other ingredients tho - I'm going to have a gander and see what they do.

In the guest rooms we now put the combined shampoo and shower gel, but I wouldn't use that on my hair. Firstly the conditioner definitely does something different and they work best when used in tandem (qualitative results ;) ). Also, conditioned nether regions are an old girly trick, although that's been phased out a bit by the advent of Brazilians, cos no-one likes an unsightly garden.
Lowering the averages since 2009
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Save even more money. Check out the ingredients of washing-up liquid.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Most shower gel I've seen is actually labelled "hair and body wash" or something like that. They're basically admitting it's the same stuff.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I got some shower gel for my 13th birthday (it's my 14th next Wednesday, so that's nearly a year ago). In July/August, I learned that that brand had gone out of business so I didn't want to use whatever was left (about 8%). I didn't want to use other shower gel because my parents would know and go mental, so since then I've used shampoo on my hair and then stolen the lather for my body. It works just fine, probably better than using both and you only use half as much as you would. I didn't know they were the same thing but that just gives me another reason to just use shampoo.

So yeah, I'm all for the motion.
cheers maus
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Thomas Carey wrote:I got some shower gel for my 13th birthday (it's my 14th next Wednesday, so that's nearly a year ago). In July/August, I learned that that brand had gone out of business so I didn't want to use whatever was left (about 8%). I didn't want to use other shower gel because my parents would know and go mental, so since then I've used shampoo on my hair and then stolen the lather for my body.
When I was 13 all I had to worry about was nuclear war and polio. Life's so much harder today.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:I always use a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, and my hair definitely feels different than just using shampoo. You may well be right in that there isn't a great deal of difference between shampoo & shower gel, but add conditioner into the mix, and I'm not sure.
I'm not arguing with the point that there are different sorts of shampoo, and some of them do (or claim to do) things to your hair other than just cleaning it. But my point was (and remains): when you've washed your hair and have all that useful lather left sitting on top of your head, why do you need something different for washing your body?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Hines wrote:In the guest rooms we now put the combined shampoo and shower gel, but I wouldn't use that on my hair. Firstly the conditioner definitely does something different and they work best when used in tandem
I refer you to my previous answer.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Tbh Phil, you're a rubbish gay if you didn't realise that shampoo and conditioner did different things. Even I know that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

As far as I understood, there used to be soap and shampoo. Shower gel is some new-fangled thing that can be used for both. That's its whole raison d'etre. Isn't it? Obviously some people prefer not to use it on their hair and have special hair stuff though.

Also, you wash your hair last.

Also, I'd feel weird using shampoo for non-hair but not the other way round.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Tbh Phil, you're a rubbish gay if you didn't realise that shampoo and conditioner did different things.
Who said I didn't? :? I never mentioned conditioner. Corby and Hines brought that into the conversation and I conceded that I have no problem with people using 'special' shampoos (including, but not limited to, shampoo with conditioner). My issue is with people not wanting to use whatever cleansing agent they put on their hair on their body. Have you actually read anything I've written in this thread? Jesus.

But yes, that aside I am a rubbish gay.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:As far as I understood, there used to be soap and shampoo. Shower gel is some new-fangled thing that can be used for both. That's its whole raison d'etre. Isn't it? Obviously some people prefer not to use it on their hair and have special hair stuff though.

Also, you wash your hair last.
No. I shampoo my hair first, put conditioner in, wash my body (with soap) and then rinse the conditioner out. You're supposed to leave conditioner in for a little while. But I agree that shower gel's purpose is to be a shampoo that you can use on your body.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Graeme Cole wrote:Most shower gel I've seen is actually labelled "hair and body wash" or something like that. They're basically admitting it's the same stuff.
That's cos you still use Lynx, don't you? You're in the esteemed company of people like Mark Deeks and Ryan Taylor, I reckon.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thomas Carey wrote:In July/August, I learned that that brand had gone out of business so I didn't want to use whatever was left (about 8%).
You what now?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The scariest bit about is this thread is that it sounds like a lot of you aren't even using one of these:

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:The scariest bit about is this thread is that it sounds like a lot of you aren't even using one of these:

I find that pubes are a very effective substitute for these.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You've ripped your pubes off and created a ball of stinking crum fur that you're using to wipe yourself into a lather?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:The scariest bit about is this thread is that it sounds like a lot of you aren't even using one of these:

I find that pubes are a very effective substitute for these.
This.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Phil Reynolds wrote:My issue is with people not wanting to use whatever cleansing agent they put on their hair on their body. Have you actually read anything I've written in this thread? Jesus.
That's definitely the first mention of Jesus - I checked.

See, I'd put something on my body and on my hair (e.g. combined shower gel / shampoo, except I've already said I wouldn't...), but I definitely wouldn't put something on my hair and then body (i.e. shampoo). The amazingly-incosistent-in-format-to-the-Shampoo-counterpart Wikipedia article says this: "Shower gels contain milder surfactant bases than shampoos and in addition to being PH-friendly to the skin" and goes on to say shower gels are ok to use on your hair.

That's clearly what's troubling your HWMBO - he likes his surfactant bases mild. We all do, and who wouldn't? :lol:

Edit: Really sorry, meant hwmbo (lovely other half whom we try to please cos we love 'em) rather than himbo (derogatory, far ruder than intended). F'kin acronyms.
Last edited by Lesley Hines on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Also, I refer you both to the oxymoronically-named No Poo Movement. I read somewhere joint projects are good for couples ;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Hines wrote:Really sorry, meant hwmbo (lovely other half whom we try to please cos we love 'em) rather than himbo (derogatory, far ruder than intended).
Oh, he's both, believe me.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I wash my hair first using whatever shampoo was half-price at the shops, I then use the lather to wash shoulders etc. My hair's noticeably better when I use shampoo rather than shower gel on it, that's not saying much though.

Last time I had long hair, I used Wash & Go on it, and it absolutely knackered it - lots of split ends, poor condition etc, and I cut it all off soon afterwards.

I also at one point went two years without using anything but water to wash my hair.

Finally, I echo Matt's response to Thomas's claim of not finishing a bottle because the brand wasn't available any more. Do you want to save it for posterity so you can smell it in twenty years' time like some sort of modern day Hai Karate?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Most shower gel I've seen is actually labelled "hair and body wash" or something like that. They're basically admitting it's the same stuff.
That's cos you still use Lynx, don't you? You're in the esteemed company of people like Mark Deeks and Ryan Taylor, I reckon.

You smell like the inside of an arse.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark