Headphones

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Headphones

Post by Matt Morrison »

Any of you guys have any recommendations?

I'm thinking over-the-head, probably closed-cup but open-minded about open-cup.

I currently own these Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5 ones (or very similar) which sound awesome and have been a right treat, except for the fact that the ear pads are now flaking apart and any time I use them I end up with little black bits of plastic around my ears which is quite annoying. The pads can't be replaced unfortunately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Technica-ATH-PR ... 405&sr=8-1

So, any tips from anyone? I was lucky to get those AT ones for about £30-35, but I'd be willing to spend more like their full price of £60.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Headphones

Post by Jon Corby »

If I was buying headphones, which I'm not, I'd definitely get wireless ones. Well, at least, I'd want wireless ones. I don't know if they're expensive or rubbish or anything.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:If I was buying headphones, which I'm not, I'd definitely get wireless ones. Well, at least, I'd want wireless ones. I don't know if they're expensive or rubbish or anything.
For my use, they have to be suitable for use both while sat down at a PC and whilst out and about with an MP3 player.
So before you even consider the expense and the sound quality of wireless ones (undoubtedly you're going to trade off with one or the other or both), you have to be able to put up with some sort of annoying Bluetooth attachment to your MP3 player that bulks out your pocket that much more than you want.

I used to have some Bluetooth ones, here was the attachment:

So yeah, it's not *too* bad but sucks. And really, sound quality is WAY more important to me as I'm a music twat.

But yes, a lot of the decent sounding over-head headphones with full cups DO have massive long cords, which is a right bitch.
Part of the reason I chose mine, and I loved them for this, is that they have the ringed cord - remember this?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:If I was buying headphones, which I'm not, I'd definitely get wireless ones. Well, at least, I'd want wireless ones. I don't know if they're expensive or rubbish or anything.
For my use, they have to be suitable for use both while sat down at a PC and whilst out and about with an MP3 player.
So before you even consider the expense and the sound quality of wireless ones (undoubtedly you're going to trade off with one or the other or both), you have to be able to put up with some sort of annoying Bluetooth attachment to your MP3 player that bulks out your pocket that much more than you want.

I used to have some Bluetooth ones, here was the attachment:

So yeah, it's not *too* bad but sucks. And really, sound quality is WAY more important to me as I'm a music twat.

But yes, a lot of the decent sounding over-head headphones with full cups DO have massive long cords, which is a right bitch.
Part of the reason I chose mine, and I loved them for this, is that they have the ringed cord - remember this?
Yeah those are fine, but it's impossible to get the kinks out.

Earphones: I'm on my second pair of these. They're great because you literally can't hear anything outside. When I first got them instead of normal earphones I nearly got run over twice from crossing the road when I thought I'd be able to hear cars coming with them in as I could before. You can't eat with these in.

Headphones: I only have a cheap pair from Amazon, so I can't really help you. Sorry!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've been considering getting these, currently reduced from £45ish to £25ish:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skullcandy-Head ... lectronics

The mic would be useful at your PC if you use skype etc.

As I haven't taken the plunge I don't know if they're OK or not, but Skull Candy reviews seem to be mostly good. One reviewer mentioned a lifetime warranty too, but I couldn't find confirmation for this in the product description.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Julie T wrote:I've been considering getting these, currently reduced from £45ish to £25ish:

As I haven't taken the plunge I don't know if they're OK or not, but Skull Candy reviews seem to be mostly good. One reviewer mentioned a lifetime warranty too, but I couldn't find confirmation for this in the product description.
Will you be getting your daughter to buy them? Longer life expectancy - and free next day delivery now!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David Williams wrote:
Julie T wrote:I've been considering getting these, currently reduced from £45ish to £25ish:

Will you be getting your daughter to buy them? Longer life expectancy - and free next day delivery now!
Nope, I was thinking of buying them out of my welfare benefits (aka Jon Corby's taxes ;) ).

I do tend to be quite cautious and put things on my wish list and consider them for a while before buying (stuff for myself anyhoo). Less slow to spend on the kids - I keep having to remind myself that some of my income is for me!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

I've just recently bought two pairs of auditory equipment. This was because my previous ones broke in the left ear, which were fantastic Sony earphones, and I also fancied getting some wireless headphones for home. They have both been excellent.

The earphones are http://www.very.co.uk/dr-dre-ibeats-ear ... q%2fdr+dre

The headphones are http://www.very.co.uk/tdk-wireless-head ... lResults=1 which are really good. There is little to none of the hiss normally associated with wireless headphones, and it even comes with its own little bag, 6.3mm adapter, and extension lead for awkward to reach output sockets (ahem).
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:Nope, I was thinking of buying them out of my welfare benefits (aka Jon Corby's taxes ;) ).
Are you confessing to being an arsehole (by your own definition)?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Julie T wrote:Nope, I was thinking of buying them out of my welfare benefits (aka Jon Corby's taxes ;) ).
Are you confessing to being unable to recognise irony, laid on with a trowel and supported by an emoticon?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Are you confessing to being unable to recognise irony, laid on with a trowel and supported by an emoticon?
So me writing something sarcastic is being an arsehole, but Julie writing something sarcastic is fine because it's followed by a winking emoticon?

Thanks, I think that was the bit I was unclear on.

Oh, ;)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

There's a difference between sarcasm and irony.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:There's a difference between sarcasm and irony.
Well yes, there is (or can be).

Would you be so kind as to highlight the oh-so-obvious difference between the two statements I'm comparing though, please?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Girls. Calm the fuck down.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Girls. Calm the fuck down.
Is that what you say to two lesbians having angry sex?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:There's a difference between sarcasm and irony.
Well yes, there is (or can be).

Would you be so kind as to highlight the oh-so-obvious difference between the two statements I'm comparing though, please?
Irony. The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
Sarcasm. The use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I don't detect any of the latter in what Julie said. I do detect it in what you said.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:I don't detect any of the latter in what Julie said. I do detect it in what you said.
Have you had any teeth extracted lately, perchance?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Williams wrote:I don't detect any of the latter in what Julie said. I do detect it in what you said.
Have you had any teeth extracted lately, perchance?
Well, I did go to the dentist this week, but not to have teeth out. Do you think my bullshit detector is on the blink?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Irony adjective Of or containing iron.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:Do you think my bullshit detector is on the blink?
Well yeah, something seems to be amiss. I'm fairly sure that if the roles were reversed, you'd be gleefully pointing out that that one comment was made completely in context with the thread, and the other was made completely out of nowhere (likely intended to goad).