Has anyone else got chlamydia?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Has anyone else got chlamydia?

Post by Jon Corby »

I got a text this morning from an NHS clinic informing me that I had been in contact with chlamydia, and that I should get checked out, and how and where to do this etc. Thinking it was probably a gag text, I contacted the number given and got through to a national NHS helpline, where the lady couldn't really tell me much, other than that she had just dealt with an identical phone call (purporting to be from the same individual clinic) from somebody else in a similar position to me (i.e. in a long-term relationship) who was utterly baffled to receive such a text. So I then contacted the specific clinic, and they confirmed that they had sent the text, because somebody who tested positive had given them my number. Predictably they couldn't actually tell me who had given them my number, because of patient confidentiality and all that.

In a somewhat delightful coincidence, today happened to be the one day in a hundred where I accidentally left my phone at home, so my missus saw the message first instead. Joy.

Still, anyone else on here get one? Was somebody else on here that other caller, who happens to share the same vindictive disease-ridden enemy as me?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Has anyone else got chlamydia?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Amazing. Amazingly crazy. I reckon it was Beevers. Trick text.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Amazing. Amazingly crazy. I reckon it was Beevers. Trick text.
Nope, I phoned and they actually confirmed that they sent the text because some disease-ridden cunt has given them my number.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Amazing. Amazingly crazy. I reckon it was Beevers. Trick text.
Nope, I phoned and they actually confirmed that they sent the text because some disease-ridden cunt has given them my number.
I bet you ummed and aahed about whether or not to use "Nope, ".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Maybe this explains it? The landlord told you not to share lovers with Shane.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

This sounds like a guilty conscience.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:This sounds like a guilty conscience.
How do you mean? I'm a good boy.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Haha, could have been a practical joke done by the missus
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Barnard wrote:Haha, could have been a practical joke done by the missus
To have got tested positive for chlamydia, and then had the clinic contact me? There's some effort gone into that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

My (disease-free) other half suggests that maybe one your friends saw the opportunity for a prank following a positive test? Seems like a funny idea. And I don't want to cast any aspersions but we all know one friend of yours who's game for a practical joke...

Edit: Just realised the link was to an old Sanctum post, but I'll repost it here if Mr Corby permits.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:My (disease-free) other half suggests that maybe one your friends saw the opportunity for a prank following a positive test? Seems like a funny idea. And I don't want to cast any aspersions but we all know one friend of yours who's game for a practical joke...
Is that a confession?

But yeah, I can certainly see the practical joke aspect. The fact that I left my phone at home today and asked my missus to check my messages for me would be an unintended consequence, but probably makes the joke even funnier! Just perhaps not to me right at the moment :D Which probably makes the joke even funnier. And so on.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:My (disease-free) other half suggests that maybe one your friends saw the opportunity for a prank following a positive test? Seems like a funny idea. And I don't want to cast any aspersions but we all know one friend of yours who's game for a practical joke...
Is that a confession?
I actually did get tested recently but it was negative. And I don't have Aids either. It was quite a day.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Is that a confession?
I actually did get tested recently but it was negative. And I don't have Aids either. It was quite a day.
Did you ask them to send some texts anyway, just for lols?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Edit: Just realised the link was to an old Sanctum post, but I'll repost it here if Mr Corby permits.
Which is it? If it's me being a cunt, then no thanks :D

(btw the link didn't even work for me - it made me log in again and then took me to the index - which I took to be you playing a joke on me by giving me a link which makes me log in and then do nothing - hence me asking if it was a confession!)

Oh wait, it works now. Fuck knows what's going on. Haha though, no I don't think it's them, and no I don't think you should reproduce the post!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

How do you know it wasn't your missus? /troll :lol: :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley Hines wrote:How do you know it wasn't your missus? /troll :lol: :lol:
It's a bit unkind calling her that!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

How do you know the number you rang was a bona fide clinic?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:How do you know the number you rang was a bona fide clinic?
Cos I got it off the net (Blanche Heriot) - the SMS was just from "Blanche H" (no number or anything). They confirmed sending the message, but couldn't tell me who had given them my number, but it must have been somebody who tested positive. The lady I spoke to did also say "usually we ring to speak in person rather than sending a text" but actually failed to give me any reason why they hadn't done this in my case.

The original number in the SMS was the national NHS helpline (0800 567123). What's really weird is that when I called this, she'd just taken an identical from a similarly confused married man, quoting the same clinic (which she hadn't personally heard of) and even said to me "this sounds like a hoax". So it isn't actually that weird given that the clinic confirmed that they did/do this, but what's weird is that she found it weird, IYSWIM - I would've assumed it happened all the time.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I always think that practical jokes are nasty. I've never understood the mentality of people who derive pleasure from hurting others.
This sounds particularly bad, especially as your wife saw the text first.
Yet more proof that the world is full of arseholes (with or without chlamydia).
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:I always think that practical jokes are nasty. I've never understood the mentality of people who derive pleasure from hurting others.
This sounds particularly bad, especially as your wife saw the text first.
Yet more proof that the world is full of arseholes (with or without chlamydia).
I'm actually more inclined to think it's just a genuine mistake, and luckily my missus has been fine about it, so no harm done. Or at least she seems to be - it's my birthday in about 5 weeks' time so we'll see how I get on when I try and have sex with her then.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lowering the averages since 2009
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote: I'm actually more inclined to think it's just a genuine mistake, and luckily my missus has been fine about it, so no harm done. Or at least she seems to be - it's my birthday in about 5 weeks' time so we'll see how I get on when I try and have sex with her then.
Ha you only have sex on your birthday?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: I'm actually more inclined to think it's just a genuine mistake, and luckily my missus has been fine about it, so no harm done. Or at least she seems to be - it's my birthday in about 5 weeks' time so we'll see how I get on when I try and have sex with her then.
He's got you there.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Haha no, that would be a bit pathetic wouldn't it?!

We also do it on November 24th, to celebrate the start of the ancient Roman festival of Brumalia.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'm actually more inclined to think it's just a genuine mistake, and luckily my missus has been fine about it, so no harm done. Or at least she seems to be - it's my birthday in about 5 weeks' time so we'll see how I get on when I try and have sex with her then.
No, Jon has sex five to ten times a week. The difference on his birthday is that someone else is there at the same time.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

You might have even gotten a little lucky, being able to say "oh, bureaucracy" instead of having to directly deal with an actual female claiming to have your number and leaving messages.

And I guess it's nice of your local Lothario to spread the phony numbers around (and also he doesn't have to remember anything!).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andrew Feist wrote:You might have even gotten a little lucky, being able to say "oh, bureaucracy" instead of having to directly deal with an actual female claiming to have your number and leaving messages.
Nah, I think that would have been preferable, as a mistake could be quickly cleared up, and in the case of a practical joke/vindictive asshole it would give me a lead to get to the bottom of it, and I'd likely be well alibied anyway if pressed for the details of when and where I supposedly did it (IN HER FANNY LOL). Actually I guess there's no reason whatsoever why, in the "mistake" scenario, it would even necessarily be a female - I wonder if the clinic might have at least imparted that information if pressed?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:You might have even gotten a little lucky
the details of when and where I supposedly did it (IN HER FANNY LOL)
Someone's forgetting Andrew is American. Or not forgetting, in which case perhaps you were lucky to escape with just chlamydia.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

FFS! I just got the message again. Despite the woman at the clinic apologising for the initial text and assuring me that she had "made a note of it".
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Are you sure you don't go sleepwalking?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

What is chlamydia? I have lived a long, clean living life. Have I missed anything?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

George F. Jenkins wrote:What is chlamydia?
Welcome back, Sophie.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:FFS! I just got the message again. Despite the woman at the clinic apologising for the initial text and assuring me that she had "made a note of it".
That swelling in your pants might not actually be desirable.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles