Fancy Dress

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Fancy Dress

Post by Michael Wallace »

Fancy dress parties. Awesome? Lame? Have you ever been to one? Have you never been to one? What costumes have you worn?

I am mostly interested in inspiration for what to wear to CO:LON (both for myself and any other attendees who fancy getting into the spirit of things). Tesco had a surprisingly good vampire costume, which has been acquired for The Count, but I'm struggling to think of other options.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Fancy Dress

Post by Mark James »

They're ok. I'm never bothered to put much effort in though. I went as the joker one year but my costume was shit and there was someone there with an even better one which made mine even worse. Best costume I ever saw was a guy dressed all in black and had crutches, an arm in a sling, fake stitches and the like. He had a note pinned to his back that said "Fuck her and her Milk Tray."
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gotta be honest, I'm not big on fancy dress. Especially at Halloween, as being a glasses wearer means my choices are basically limited to Egon from Ghostbusters and it's a pain in the arse finding three other people willing to go as the other three.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I imagine there's a strong correlation between people who like fancy dress and people who like dancing. Annoying people.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I quite like dressing up for the laugh and now i'm even more gutted to be missing co:lon. We could all have went dancing afterwards.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bores me shitless, I do enjoy being dressed up, but the effort to reward ratio is way too small.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Love it! No amount of effort is too much.

Took me about 90 minutes to do my hair for this one. Even my friends didn't recognise me at first.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I generally hate fancy dress parties. The weird thing is that, as an actor, I love physically transforming myself into somebody else and looking as unlike me as possible:

Image Image Image

But there's something about dressing up as someone else but still being me that makes me uncomfortable. And no, dressing up and then not being me (by staying in character throughout an entire party) is too much like hard work (improv is exhausting).

What's truly perverse is that, if I find myself at an event where virtually everyone else has dressed up and I haven't (as happened on Saturday night), I end up being secretly jealous of the fun they're having and stand grumpily in a corner refusing to participate in all the apple bobbing frivolity or whatever it might be. Analyse that.