Finglonger

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Who invented the finglonger?

(a) Professor Farnsworth
80%
(b) Somebody else
20%

Total votes: 5

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Finglonger

Post by Jon Corby »

What's the deal with the Finglonger then? I can think of reasons why either answer could be valid, but I really want to know what YOU think. Yes, YOU.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: Finglonger

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

He probably nicked it off that dastardly Wernstrom. He DID invent the Smelloscope though.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The Fing-longer (its hypehenated according to the wiki) was only a hypothetical invention that featured on the What-If Machine so technically no one has invented it yet.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

A man can dream though. A man can dream...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark James wrote:The Fing-longer (its hypehenated according to the wiki) was only a hypothetical invention that featured on the What-If Machine so technically no one has invented it yet.
You're wrong - it's featured non-hypothetically in several later episodes. Hence the conundrum - did Farnsworth later realise his dream, or was he displaying envy at another's ingenuity in that episode?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mark James wrote:The Fing-longer (its hypehenated according to the wiki) was only a hypothetical invention that featured on the What-If Machine so technically no one has invented it yet.
You're wrong - it's featured non-hypothetically in several later episodes. Hence the conundrum - did Farnsworth later realise his dream, or was he displaying envy at another's ingenuity in that episode?
Ah, now I see. I think it was likely his idea originally but he just hadn't got round to inventing it yet and used the what-if machine to see what it would be like if he had. But yeah, maybe someone else invented it and he used the what-if machine to see what it would have been like if he had invented it instead. Its a tricky one. The what-if machine though just shows him using it which makes me think it was his invention. If it was someone else's, I reckon the what-if machine would have shown him in a scenario where he's receiving credit for the invention instead of its original inventor. (I probably didn't put enough thought in to it when I first read the post and now I've probably put too much.)