Last edition of the News of the World

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Last edition of the News of the World

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Anyone buy this today? I did, and there was a quite from George Orwell;
On a Sunday afternoon, preferably before the war, the kids would be playing and you could sit down and open the News of the World.

George Orwell, 1946.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Last edition of the News of the World

Post by Ryan Taylor »

and?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

God I hate children.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I thought it was quite enjoyable. Took up most of it going through it's history though.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Charlie Reams wrote:God I hate children.
IAWWTP.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

You wont win any prizes for admitting to buying the NOTW. Hell even i hid my copy inside my Bike Robbers Monthly. Btw did anyone watch newsnight on friday with Steve Coogan having a row with some hack from the gutter press. Awesome telly !
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Anyone buy this today? I did, and there was a quite from George Orwell;
On a Sunday afternoon, preferably before the war, the kids would be playing and you could sit down and open the News of the World.

George Orwell, 1946.
I suppose that makes up for the lack of journalism.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I thought it was quite enjoyable. Took up most of it going through it's history though.
Not surprising really, given that they were so far up their own arses (the real cause of their downfall) that everything they said was doublespeak.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:Btw did anyone watch newsnight on friday with Steve Coogan having a row with some hack from the gutter press. Awesome telly !
I saw Steve Coogan and Will Self were trending on twitter so I found out why and it was because of Newsnight. I managed to catch up with it on iPlayer the next day and it was worth it. A good edition of Newsnight. And doesn't Will Self know some very long words?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Am I the only person who doesn't get the big deal? I really couldn't give a fiddlers if someone taps my phone line. I've either said something or I haven't. If I can't stand by that then I should keep my mouth shut 24/7. The one time newspapers actually know for a fact what someone said people are up in arms. Most of the time they're full of shit and just guessing. I'm drunk right now so I may change my tune in the morning but really. Who gives a fuck. All those journalists will get another job in a just a disreputable rag as they have been employed previously. I've not properly read a newspaper in years. They're the last place I'd go to for information. Hopefully they'll all close down.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't get the big deal? I really couldn't give a fiddlers if someone taps my phone line. I've either said something or I haven't. If I can't stand by that then I should keep my mouth shut 24/7.
So can I come and watch you poo? I have a column to write.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't get the big deal? I really couldn't give a fiddlers if someone taps my phone line. I've either said something or I haven't. If I can't stand by that then I should keep my mouth shut 24/7.
So that's why it's called a scoop.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Mark James wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't get the big deal?
I'm with you to an extent.

Phone-tapping is illegal. Anyone involved should suffer the legal consequences. That should happen even if it had been done to achieve something worthwhile - exposing MP's expense fraud, for example.

The rest is just the usual stuff. Are we supposed to believe that no other paper was poking into the affairs of all the people the NoW was phone-tapping?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:and?
it was said by him in a private phone conversation.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Mark James wrote:Am I the only person who doesn't get the big deal? I really couldn't give a fiddlers if someone taps my phone line. I've either said something or I haven't. If I can't stand by that then I should keep my mouth shut 24/7. The one time newspapers actually know for a fact what someone said people are up in arms. Most of the time they're full of shit and just guessing. I'm drunk right now so I may change my tune in the morning but really. Who gives a fuck. All those journalists will get another job in a just a disreputable rag as they have been employed previously. I've not properly read a newspaper in years. They're the last place I'd go to for information. Hopefully they'll all close down.
In the case of the murdered Milly Dowler someone actually listened to the messages left by frantic relatives and friends on her phone then realising there was no more space left, deleted some of the calls to make room for some more. That's a little different to just listening to calls, it's actually impeding a murder inquiry. As for the celebs having their messages listened to, was it they were too lazy to change their PIN codes when the phone was bought and the hackers got in by using the default codes? If so, they deserve less sympathy. And don't worry about the NOTW staff, most of them will get re-employed with The Sun on Sunday in a few weeks' time.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think it goes well beyond simply listening to people's private conversations, it's the power-mongering of Murdoch which could have had far-reaching consequences in our country's governance.

Something which I don't think is at all beyond the realms of possibility as an example: What if Gordon Brown didn't call an election in 2008 (or whenever all that was) because he was under pressure from Murdoch's papers on some issue of media policy support. Maybe it was implicit or explicit that if he called an election, the Sun etc would shoot him down. Or more likely, if he called an election, the papers would expose the dirty politics that he engaged in to finally oust Blair, and he saw this as a big enough threat to not do anything.

As it turned out, the media destroyed him anyway - was this because he did the opposite of what Murdoch wanted at that point? It could of course have been because he made himself look like a useless tit, but it was in hindsight political suicide to do what he did - I'm amazed if they didn't foresee that storm on the horizon, which takes me back to it being the lesser of two evils, the other evil being something that stayed under wraps due to his actions.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Ian Volante wrote:
I think it goes well beyond simply listening to people's private conversations, it's the power-mongering of Murdoch which could have had far-reaching consequences in our country's governance.
So Murdoch's not a nice person. And we can't do anything about it. So we should over-react to something we can do something about. As good a reason as any.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Anyone buy this today? I did, and there was a quite from George Orwell;
Liam Tiernan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:I thought it was quite enjoyable. Took up most of it going through it's history though.
Not surprising really, given that they were so far up their own arses (the real cause of their downfall) that everything they said was doublespeak.
Turns out my little "quite" from George Orwell wasn't quite Orwell after all. He came up with doublethink and Newspeak. :oops:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Liam Tiernan wrote:Newspeak. :oops:
More like News Peak!!!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I wouldn't care if you did but why would you want to and who would want to read about it? I don't blame journalists trying to find stuff out, I blame the readers for wanting to read about the stuff they find.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Will Self, on last fridays Newsnight, summed up the British public nicely....I would quote what he said but I will probably not be able to spell some of them words he said. I assume you can watch it on youtube/Iplayer.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Btw did anyone watch newsnight on friday with Steve Coogan having a row with some hack from the gutter press. Awesome telly !
I saw Steve Coogan and Will Self were trending on twitter so I found out why and it was because of Newsnight. I managed to catch up with it on iPlayer the next day and it was worth it. A good edition of Newsnight. And doesn't Will Self know some very long words?
Duid you see that twat Paul McMullen on Sunday Live wearing the same suit and justifying himself as to why he hadn,t been to the police station.
If he survives jail, he would be an ideal candidate for IACGMOOH.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David Williams wrote:The rest is just the usual stuff. Are we supposed to believe that no other paper was poking into the affairs of all the people the NoW was phone-tapping?
Apparently now there's been an allegation that Gordon Brown's personal information was accessed by the Sunday Times in 2006.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Rebekah Brooks.
Does she have something on all the major players, or is she just another ginger who thinks they are never wrong?
Most odious ginger, public figure since Neil Kinnock.
By the way I am a ginger (ish)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Made me wonder whether there was an equivalent of PNECRISIS for the occasion. Best I could come up with is RATREBEKAH, which is pretty good (apart from having ten letters). Anyone got anything better?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Marc Meakin wrote:Rebekah Brooks.
Does she have something on all the major players, or is she just another ginger who thinks they are never wrong?
If you feel you have to add the (ish), then you're not really a ginge.

Edit: Have you forgotten about Anne Robinson, btw.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

David Williams wrote:
Made me wonder whether there was an equivalent of PNECRISIS for the occasion. Best I could come up with is RATREBEKAH, which is pretty good (apart from having ten letters). Anyone got anything better?
CODRUPERT
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

POORTRACE, at least with regards to Brooks getting arrested partly for hacking phones. Maybe not so specific, but at least topical.

Considering who Murdoch's propaganda machine tricks the easily manipulable sociopathic right wing into fellating in the US, the answer is apropos also.

EDIT: after getting Graeme's, I like his a lot more
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Double post, but this is, erm...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... sean-hoare

welp

not suspicious at all, nope. No, really, it's "not being treated as suspicious" ... granted when you have Scotland Yard in your pockets of course it wouldn't be.

I was really sad that DIERUPERT had no anagrams when I looked for it :x DERPITURE can sort of work as a made-up word, like a smart person has stature, a typical FOX News watcher has derpiture. Yea, that works, somehow.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Rebekah Brooks.
If you feel you have to add the (ish), then you're not really a ginge.

Edit: Have you forgotten about Anne Robinson, btw.
Well my beard is gold and silver (though my kids prefer to say ginger and gray)
But I cannot dispute my ginger pubes