Amazing Ads

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Amazing Ads

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:41 am

Phil Reynolds wrote:My subjective opinion (though I could probably put together some facts to support it) is that the 1970s and 80s were a golden period for imaginative, witty and memorable TV ads while most of today's are feeble in comparison, although I suspect what's happened is that, in terms of production values at least, things are more evenly balanced now - there were some great ads around when I was growing up but there were some shit ones too.

However, there are still occasionally some really good TV commercials. The Google Chrome 'It Gets Better' ad is astonishing, brave, uplifting and just absolutely fucking brilliant. One ad like this makes up for a hundred naff ones.
Dunno if this topic has been done before, but never mind. I agree with Phil's conclusion, so let's share some.

These Sony Bravia ads are awesome...

Bouncy balls
Paint explosions

And my all-time favourite, Honda Cog Thingy. I first saw it at a cinema. I stood up at the end of it and applauded for ten continuous minutes before leaving knowing that no film could match up to what I had just seen.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:56 am

I'm just upset that this advert wasn't shown on TV.
mywife is soft nd ilikeher
MY WIFE IS SOF AND I LIKE HER
t

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Ryan Taylor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:59 am

Jon O'Neill wrote:And my all-time favourite, Honda Cog Thingy. I first saw it at a cinema. I stood up at the end of it and applauded for ten continuous minutes before leaving knowing that no film could match up to what I had just seen.
Incredible. Not the advert but the fact that you applauded it. But yes a genuinely brilliant advert I think it often tops the Best Adverts countdowns when they do them on the TV.

The other Honda one with the choir of people making the sounds of the car was also good. I also liked the "Belly's gonna get ya" for Reebok. That left an impression on me as a kid.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Michael Wallace » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I'm just upset that this advert wasn't shown on TV.
Excellent.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Ryan Taylor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:00 am

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I'm just upset that this advert wasn't shown on TV.
Excellent.
IAWTP

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:47 am

That is indeed awesome, I'm sure you all spotted the other banned one; I actually think it's better.

Bob De Caux
Enthusiast
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Bob De Caux » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:01 am

I remember watching the Superbowl a few years ago and seeing this awesome set of Reebok ads

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3856
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Most Honda adverts since Cog have been pretty good, especially the live skydiving one and the one where they make an animation out of car headlights. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for the 'dream the impossible dream' one.

Also, the Barclays adverts voiced by Stephen Merchant become unintentionally hilarious if you've played Portal 2.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon Corby » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:Also, the Barclays adverts voiced by Stephen Merchant become unintentionally hilarious if you've played Portal 2.
Wow, I really thought that was Justin Lee Collins on those adverts. I suck.

Liam Tiernan
Devotee
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Kildare, Rep. of Ireland

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Liam Tiernan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote: And my all-time favourite, Honda Cog Thingy. I first saw it at a cinema. I stood up at the end of it and applauded for ten continuous minutes before leaving knowing that no film could match up to what I had just seen.
Didn't realise quite how clever this ad was until I discovered that there is absolutely no camera trickery or CGI involved. It took more than 600 takes to get it right.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon Corby » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Liam Tiernan wrote:Didn't realise quite how clever this ad was until I discovered that there is absolutely no camera trickery or CGI involved. It took more than 600 takes to get it right.
Yeah, I just went to snopes to read up on this (again, I've done so before but forgot what it said) and you have to ask "is it worth it?" on reading that (supposedly) it's all completely genuine, and took a ridiculous amount of time to make. I'm still not quite sure I believe it tbh.

My first reaction on seeing the ad was that it was really cool, but I also just instantly thought it was CGI, or at least not simply WYSIWYG (ie, stuff (like the tyres going up the slope) was on wires which got edited out). The snopes article claims it was take 605 or something that we see. I want to see the other 600. I want to see it filmed from different angles. I want to see other stuff to prove it. I'm such a cynical bastard that I just think "why do it that way, when there's easier ways to get the same effect?" It doesn't really matter to me if they cheated - it's just a car ad. Of course, if it didn't have the backstory then it probably wouldn't have been such a huge viral hit...

Edit: Okay, I found a 4 minute "making of" video. Still not convinced... :?

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Adam Gillard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I thought this thread was about me. Disappointed :(
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Adam Gillard wrote:I thought this thread was about me. Disappointed :(
Cheer up, there is one about you!

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Adam Gillard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:I thought this thread was about me. Disappointed :(
Cheer up, there is one about you!
Heh I was about to post this on the "Annoying Ads" thread but you beat me to it.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Soph K » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm

This is not really amazing, but it's funny and probably Specsavers' best advertisement: the one where a lady gets off the train then kisses the wrong man.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by JimBentley » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm loving the Old Spice advert with Isaiah Mustafa (actually I think there's more than one but I've only seen the one so far). Genuinely laugh out loud funny.

"I'm on a horse".

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1960
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Soph K wrote:This is not really amazing, but it's funny and probably Specsavers' best advertisement: the one where a lady gets off the train then kisses the wrong man.
No, it's gotta be the one for Specsavers hearing centres - an elderly lady drives past with the radio so loud that it's smashing all the windows. And she still can only just hear it.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Michael Wallace » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:38 pm

The (original) Powerthirst advert is probably my favourite, come to think of it.

Edit: It's kinda annoying that nowhere near here seems to stock it, though :evil:

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8581
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:However, there are still occasionally some really good TV commercials. The Google Chrome 'It Gets Better' ad is astonishing, brave, uplifting and just absolutely fucking brilliant. One ad like this makes up for a hundred naff ones.
As just an uplifting video, it's good, but as an advert for Google Chrome, I think it's absolutely fucking shit. Uplifting video - therefore use our really tenuously connected product. Fuck off (them that is, not you).
Jon O'Neill wrote:These Sony Bravia ads are awesome...

Bouncy balls
Wrong tune, surely.
And my all-time favourite, Honda Cog Thingy. I first saw it at a cinema. I stood up at the end of it and applauded for ten continuous minutes before leaving knowing that no film could match up to what I had just seen.
That advert's fine and everything but the fact that you stood up and applauded for ten minutes is surely a bit mental. Did everyone else in the cinema stare at you? Did they applaud too? Had the film started by the time you stopped?
Michael Wallace wrote:The (original) Powerthirst advert is probably my favourite, come to think of it.

Edit: It's kinda annoying that nowhere near here seems to stock it, though :evil:
That one's pretty good.

User avatar
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Joseph Krol » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Woot woot. New Compare the Meerkat advert.
Image

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Mark James » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:These Sony Bravia ads are awesome...

Bouncy balls
Wrong tune, surely.
That's something that annoys me with ads these days where they keep the same ad but change the music. Cadbury's keep doing it. The gorilla should be playing drums to Phil Collins not Bonnie Tyler and the clothes had been dancing to a much better song the first time around.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3856
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 pm


User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Adam Gillard » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 pm

(Mock) epic ads like this generally seem to be the ones that I like. They're something of a rarity though. The link under that video has a top 25 compilation of epic ads, some of which I remember being good.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Steve Balog
Acolyte
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am
Location: neither here nor there

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Steve Balog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:My subjective opinion (though I could probably put together some facts to support it) is that the 1970s and 80s were a golden period for imaginative, witty and memorable TV ads while most of today's are feeble in comparison, although I suspect what's happened is that, in terms of production values at least, things are more evenly balanced now - there were some great ads around when I was growing up but there were some shit ones too.

However, there are still occasionally some really good TV commercials. The Google Chrome 'It Gets Better' ad is astonishing, brave, uplifting and just absolutely fucking brilliant. One ad like this makes up for a hundred naff ones.
This is amazing. But, the first thing I noticed after the fact is 338 dislikes. Really?

The second thing is a commenter actually cheering that these people killed themselves. REALLY? And even if it is a troll, I've seen (in real life and in many, many Facebook posts) people who would very happily agree with this sociopath.

Fuck you, America.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Joseph Krol wrote:Woot woot. New Compare the Meerkat advert.
Doesn't this belong in the Annoying Ads thread?
mywife is soft nd ilikeher
MY WIFE IS SOF AND I LIKE HER
t

User avatar
Steve Balog
Acolyte
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 am
Location: neither here nor there

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Steve Balog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Michael Wallace wrote:The (original) Powerthirst advert is probably my favourite, come to think of it.

Edit: It's kinda annoying that nowhere near here seems to stock it, though :evil:
On a much lighter note, I am very happy that Powerthirst is real, so I'm probably going to buy some.

EDIT: their website.... it's a thing of legends... :cry:
Last edited by Steve Balog on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Mark James » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm

There was a brilliant ad I saw once, I think it was on Tarrant on T.V. and there's this sexy woman walking around her house stripping off to her underwear and then lying on a bed stroking her midriff and the tagline says "Turn what's in your pocket now in to hard cash" and then the company's name comes up and it's a sperm bank.

User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Andy Wilson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Gavin Chipper wrote: Bouncy balls
Wrong tune, surely.
[/quote]

Sure is. I doubt most of us would have yet heard of José Gonzalez or the knife were it not for that inconic ad. It really made me want to go out and buy some bouncy balls. Just went after the original on youtube and found 'making of' versions of each one, then this, which is silly, but funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC65uIu0 ... re=related

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Soph K » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Soph K wrote:This is not really amazing, but it's funny and probably Specsavers' best advertisement: the one where a lady gets off the train then kisses the wrong man.
No, it's gotta be the one for Specsavers hearing centres - an elderly lady drives past with the radio so loud that it's smashing all the windows. And she still can only just hear it.
Haven't seen that one.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3341
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am

JimBentley wrote:I'm loving the Old Spice advert with Isaiah Mustafa (actually I think there's more than one but I've only seen the one so far). Genuinely laugh out loud funny.

"I'm on a horse".
Never heard of the bloke, but I saw this yesterday and was vaguely amused. That's high praise from me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2699
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by JimBentley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:16 pm

A good one from the USA (or at least, I've not seen it on normo UK TV) here. I still had absolutely no idea what it was going to be advertising until the final reveal.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4167
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon O'Neill » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Hahaha, amazing.

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Adam Gillard » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:59 pm

JimBentley wrote:A good one from the USA (or at least, I've not seen it on normo UK TV) here. I still had absolutely no idea what it was going to be advertising until the final reveal.
Very good; thanks for sharing it.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Karen Pearson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 am

Excellent! :-D

Nice to see a good creative ad from the US.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Just seen Hugh Laurie doing a L'oreal advert. That just seems so weird.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon Corby » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:Just seen Hugh Laurie doing a L'oreal advert. That just seems so weird.
Were you amazed though?

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7431
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 am

AMAZING! Just seen that new Injury Lawyers 4 U advert where one of the lawyers actually falls down the steps in her high heels! Haha!
Or rather I had it on in the background, wasn't watching just listening but not really listening and then it all kicked off.
I rewound it about 8 times, still can't work out if it was real or fake. Brilliant though.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7921
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Jon Corby » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 am

Matt Morrison wrote:AMAZING! Just seen that new Injury Lawyers 4 U advert where one of the lawyers actually falls down the steps in her high heels! Haha!
Or rather I had it on in the background, wasn't watching just listening but not really listening and then it all kicked off.
I rewound it about 8 times, still can't work out if it was real or fake. Brilliant though.
This one?

How is that "not her fault"?

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Lesley Hines » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:AMAZING! Just seen that new Injury Lawyers 4 U advert where one of the lawyers actually falls down the steps in her high heels! Haha!
Or rather I had it on in the background, wasn't watching just listening but not really listening and then it all kicked off.
I rewound it about 8 times, still can't work out if it was real or fake. Brilliant though.
This one?

How is that "not her fault"?
She's gonna sue Clarks for selling shoes that ugly.
Lowering the averages since 2009

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8581
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Amazing Ads

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:21 pm

I quite like this Tango one.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests