Donating Sperm

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ian Dent
Devotee

Donating Sperm

Post by Ian Dent »

I am going to donate some sperm.

Anybody experienced this before?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Donating Sperm

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I haven't. Do they pay you? Like every other broke-ass teenager looking for some way to make money I considered doing it but couldn't find anywhere that pays.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I haven't. Do they pay you? Like every other broke-ass teenager looking for some way to make money I considered doing it but couldn't find anywhere that pays.
At the risk of derailing Ian's topic, what else did you consider, and what did you do?

In answer to the OP, no I haven't. If someone would pay for mine, I'd probably quit work and take it up full time tbh.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I haven't done it in case they take the sample and go "urgh, what the fuck is that!? why is it that colour and why are those weird bits floating around in it?"
That would break my heart.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I haven't. Do they pay you? Like every other broke-ass teenager looking for some way to make money I considered doing it but couldn't find anywhere that pays.
At the risk of derailing Ian's topic, what else did you consider, and what did you do?

In answer to the OP, no I haven't. If someone would pay for mine, I'd probably quit work and take it up full time tbh.
Clinical trials (didn't do), dog-walking (didn't do), mystery shopping (did once, didn't like), writing reviews for things like C-net (did once, didn't like), getting a real job (ended up doing.. don't like).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Clinical trials (didn't do), dog-walking (didn't do), mystery shopping (did once, didn't like), writing reviews for things like C-net (did once, didn't like), getting a real job (ended up doing.. don't like).
You should have done a paper round. It's really good fun, the pay is exceptional, you get lots of exercise and the best thing is you meet lots of old people.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Clinical trials (didn't do), dog-walking (didn't do), mystery shopping (did once, didn't like), writing reviews for things like C-net (did once, didn't like), getting a real job (ended up doing.. don't like).
You should have done a paper round. It's really good fun, the pay is exceptional, you get lots of exercise and the best thing is you meet lots of old people.
Funny way to spell "meat".
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

I think that the loss of anonymity after a change in the law in 2005 makes sperm donation a rather more complicated question that what payment might or not be on offer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jun/26/women.health
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Brian Moore wrote:I think that the loss of anonymity after a change in the law in 2005 makes sperm donation a rather more complicated question that what payment might or not be on offer:

Yeah I remember reading this at the time. A total joke.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Yeah I remember reading this at the time. A total joke.
Ten kids turning up on your doorstep, all calling you Daddy. Yeah, that'd be why so many people are donating sperm these days.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:

Thats a suprise Jon, I was under the impression you have been donating for several years now. :twisted:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

Thats a suprise Jon, I was under the impression you have been donating for several years now. :twisted:
I'm not convinced his missus pays him for her high-protein diet :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

What are you donating it for Ian? Is it for fertility treatments, or research, or (I'm running out of ideas here) new-stylie art / the local take-away's annoying customers' special ingredient / the local theatre's Silence of the Lambs production / or just giving something back to the community in a way you'll enjoy the most?

I'm obviously just interested; it's not something I've considered doing myself, although I am going to leave my body to science when I depart this mortal coil.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

So that two girlfriends can have a child.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:I think that the loss of anonymity after a change in the law in 2005 makes sperm donation a rather more complicated question that what payment might or not be on offer:

Yeah I remember reading this at the time. A total joke.
I always imagined them mixing it all together in one big pot, so there'd be no way of knowing who got whose sperm without a DNA test.

I can understand it would be weird though, having a father and having no way to ever find out who it is. But then again sperm donation is only one (or maybe two) step(s) away from taking genetic material from loads of different people to create a baby. Who's the daddy now? (Not Graham Nash.)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

First look at the title - Sex.
Second look at the title - Gay.
Third look at the title - What!?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
I should try that....
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I should try that....
The papers might be a bit heavy for you on weekends when all the customers where you live get the Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph as opposed to the News of the World.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: You should have done a paper round. It's really good fun, the pay is exceptional, you get lots of exercise and the best thing is you meet lots of old people.
I should try that....
The papers might be a bit heavy for you on weekends when all the customers where you live get the Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph as opposed to the News of the World.
Hey, I like the News of the World. :x

But you have a point - my Mum and Dad get the Telegraph every day :roll:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I haven't been a sperm donor in the conventional way, but a lesbian couple asked me to have sex with one of them so they could have a child of her own.....I think it was probably after a month of trying that I let the cat out of the bag about my vasectomy :twisted:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I always imagined them mixing it all together in one big pot, so there'd be no way of knowing who got whose sperm without a DNA test.
Wouldn't the different sperms just fight and kill each other?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I always imagined them mixing it all together in one big pot, so there'd be no way of knowing who got whose sperm without a DNA test.
Can sperms fight?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

SPERM FIGHT!!!!

*chucks his muck in Gavin's face*
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
Can sperms fight?
Yes. The first episode of Michael Mosley's documentary Inside the Human Body was entitled Creation and it showed the battle that the millions of sperm go to to be the one that reaches the ovum. It was really good and although it isn't "fighting" as we know it they still compete to be The Number One Sperm.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I've not seen sperm fight, but I've seen cum dancing!! boom boom :P
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:I've not seen sperm fight, but I've seen cum dancing!! boom boom :P
For the past year I've been quoting all of your good jokes.

I believe this is the first one.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:I've not seen sperm fight, but I've seen cum dancing!! boom boom :P
For the past year I've been quoting all of your good jokes.

I believe this is the first one.
Aah, the back handed compliment 15-0
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:I haven't been a sperm donor in the conventional way, but a lesbian couple asked me to have sex with one of them so they could have a child of her own.....I think it was probably after a month of trying that I let the cat out of the bag about my vasectomy :twisted:
Was this a joke?