Are you a quitter?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Job quitter?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 5

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Are you a quitter?

Post by Ryan Taylor »

So today I arrived at work in the newsagents at 9am and by 9.17am I was back home. I finally walked out on the boss after over 18 months of being belittled, mildly bullied and made to work beyond scheduled hours. I feel a bit shaken by the whole thing writing this now but it felt good at the time, I had had enough with the place and so when one more snide comment came from his mouth I said "fuck off [boss], sack your job off" or something like that and then walked out just as one of my favourite customers was walking through the door. It was a pretty undignified exit but oh well.

Question is, have you quit a job and if so for what reasons and how did you go about it?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Are you a quitter?

Post by Jon Corby »

Do you mean in a dramatic way?

Most people quit jobs, otherwise everyone would stay in their first job.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:Do you mean in a dramatic way?

Most people quit jobs, otherwise everyone would stay in their first job.
Yes I want stories of like tantrums and Diva-style exits. A bit like when Gevin was wanting to plot his bosses downfall.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm still in my first job.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm still in my first job.
BLOW JOB!!!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yes I want stories of like tantrums and Diva-style exits.
Do they have to be true?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Yes I want stories of like tantrums and Diva-style exits.
Do they have to be true?
No.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

A few years ago, I was working as a hackney driver for a small cab company( 2 cars, 1 mini-bus). Terrible job. No guaranteed wage as I was working strictly on commission,usually up to 80 hours a week, sometimes more. Weekends I was expected to work from 2pm til 4 am Friday,Saturday and Sunday. At one point I remember having to work seven weeks straight without a break because the promised extra driver never materialised. Probably illegal then, definitely illegal now since the taxi sector has become much more regulated.
The worst part of the job by far though was the delays, hassle and abuse from drunken passengers. Since we depended a lot on repeat business, we had to put up with a lot of crap from the same people over and over. One old guy in particular (an ex-cop) was notorious for stirring up trouble. If I arrived on time for him, he'd just ordered another pint and would insist on making me wait while he finished it (usually at the busiest time of the night). If I allowed him drinking-up time, he would be standing at the door effing and blinding about being kept waiting, often keeping up the complaints (and threats, sometimes) the whole way home.
After one particularly stressful night I'd had enough, stopped the car (on a quiet country road late at night) and ordered him to get out. He refused, pointing out that by law , I couldn't make him get out of the car once he'd hired it, until we'd reached his destination. Since this was pretty much true, I replied that there was also no law that could make me drive him any further, threw the car keys at him, and walked away. Next day I went to my local Garda station and handed back my hackney licence.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

After I quit my job at the newsagents (TM retail), the incompetent fuckwits in payroll rang me and asked me to repay an overpayment. I did. And sent along the most wonderfully snide letter telling them all how much they sucked. I can provide the letter- unedited- upon request.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Wilson wrote:After I quit my job at the newsagents (TM retail), the incompetent fuckwits in payroll rang me and asked me to repay an overpayment. I did. And sent along the most wonderfully snide letter telling them all how much they sucked. I can provide the letter- unedited- upon request.
Requested.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ben Wilson wrote:After I quit my job at the newsagents (TM retail), the incompetent fuckwits in payroll rang me and asked me to repay an overpayment. I did. And sent along the most wonderfully snide letter telling them all how much they sucked. I can provide the letter- unedited- upon request.
I'm thinking of writing a letter. I have some pretty good sentences already in my head that I want to put down in paper. Would this be a silly idea?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Liam Tiernan wrote:Anecdote
Awesome! This is precisely what I wanted. Good for you man!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I was tempted to quit my last job on so many occasions due to a dick head boss but he ended up leaving before I did which made the job so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately we ended up closing down and I've been unemployed since. I did have some great rows with said boss over the years though. During one row he started to walk away when I said something and he said "don't try and have the last word with me" so I said "O.K."
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Requested.
www.nebagram.co.uk/cuntsletter2.doc Enjoy.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I left Cineworld last week for pastures new. It was the most deeply satisfying thing I've done in aaaages. While I had absolutely no qualms at all with the management, and really enjoy working with most of the staff there (so much so that some of them have become my best friends even outside of work), there's one person there that I absolutely despise, and last Monday when I cleaned out my locker I had a deeply satisfying exchange with said despicable co-worker. "What was it?" I hear you ask. Well to be able to really appreciate my ecstasy at this exchange there's quite a bit of drama from my life over the past few months that you ought to know. It's a long story so here's the short version:

After 6 years of being together, me and Emma got married in November. For a few weeks it was bliss.

Emma soon got tired of domestic life though and decided she'd rather go off partying with her mates (male co-workers of ours). I've never had a problem with her seeing her friends before but it was like she didn't want to spend time with me anymore. Her priorities had completely changed. Needless to say I was more than a bit pissed off but I trusted her (and them) so I suppressed my rage because...you know... jealousy isn't exactly sexy.

Things got really shit on my birthday in January when it became apparent that things just weren't the same between us. She needed time apart from marital stress so stayed at Callum's for a week (He's the aforementioned despicable co-worker… and I think you can tell where this story's going) and knowing she was only going to be unhappy if she stayed, I reluctantly agreed to this.

A week later she returned and for a while I thought things might be back to normal. But in February things were still shithouse and she told me she wanted to leave (on the 14th to be precise!) Needless to say it was the most heart-wrenching day of my life. The woman I loved that had promised to be with me forever and used to be so good to me had just walked out.

The next few months were horrific. We said we'd stay friends but it was a rather unsatisfying friendship to say the least. It was so painful watching her flutter about with her friends while I still wanted her back.

In May she started seeing another co-worker, Louie, someone that she started to get to know just before we got married. Naturally I wondered how long she'd felt this way about him, and while I'd never thought she was capable of it before, it prompted me to ask if she'd cheated on me while we were together. I needed her to be truthful with me if I wanted any chance of moving on. She denied that she had. I didn't believe her. After 6 years of being with someone you know when they're not telling the truth.

This next bit I'm not proud of. The next day (last Monday) I took a page out of Richard Brittain's book and hacked her facebook. Obviously I would never have done this without due cause, but there was most definitely due cause here. To my horror I came across private messages between her and Louie saying that "stuff" had happened between her and Callum while we were still together. I felt absolutely sick. I couldn't believe she would betray me like this. Needless to say I never wanted to see either of them ever again, never mind work with them so I rang up Cineworld and tendered my immediate resignation, I then rang a blubbering, apologetic Emma and told her exactly what I thought of her. I also published something of a tell-all status on facebook that some of you might have seen before I thought better of it and took it down a few minutes later.

…So anyway! I went in to work to speak to the manager about leaving arrangements and say farewell to some of my nearest and dearest. I then proceeded to the staffroom to clear out my locker where lo and behold, Callum was sat in the comfy chair next to Leasha (his girlfriend that he’d been with since before he did the dirty with Emma) He was preparing for his imminent supervisor interview and Sue, a manager from the recruitment panel was there too. I could not let this chance slip through my fingers! I’m normally the last person in the world that you’d think of as being slick and stylish, but I couldn’t have been any happier with the way I delivered this line. He caught my sarcastic smile as I walked over to him. I crouched down behind his armchair, rested my elbow on his shoulder and said (just loud enough for everyone to hear)
Cool Dinos wrote:“I know exactly what you did with Emma. You disgust me. You’re an absolute swine.”
I then proceeded to glare right in his face for about 10 seconds savouring the moment while he went bright red and mumbled in a high-pitched voice something like “Erm…yeah thanks…for saying that in front of everyone…” and then I smiled, and as I turned and walked away I caught a glimpse of Leasha’s face. She was absolutely fuming. Callum had a lot of explaining to do!

That moment is the second greatest in my entire life. In case you were wondering the third greatest was winning the assault course on the Krypton Factor, and due to its erotic nature, and the fact that I am indeed a gentleman, I’m afraid I can’t disclose the greatest moment, but rest assured it was also deeply satisfying! :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Requested.
http://www.nebagram.co.uk/cuntsletter2.doc Enjoy.
Nice. Pity you misspelled your name at the end though. ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

'kin hell Dinos. Genuinely sorry to hear all that. How the fuck can that happen?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:'kin hell Dinos. Genuinely sorry to hear all that. How the fuck can that happen?
I was quite shocked to read all that too. What Corby said.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I don't mean to pry or anything, but does she still maintain that she was totally committed at the time of the wedding?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:'kin hell Dinos. Genuinely sorry to hear all that. How the fuck can that happen?
You know I asked myself the same thing everyday because we used to be so great together. I would never have believed someone could change so much. But I knew in my heart that we could never get back what we had together. Something snapped on that fateful day last Monday though and I realised she isn't worth beating myself up over, and I'm in a lot happier place now.

...Anyway you should all be focusing on how Samuel L awesome I come across in the last bit of the story!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jon Corby wrote:I don't mean to pry or anything, but does she still maintain that she was totally committed at the time of the wedding?
I dunno I think probably all the excitement of planning it probably got to her a bit and I was too crazy about her to see anything else. Shit happens I guess.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:...Anyway you should all be focusing on how Samuel L awesome I come across in the last bit of the story!
Yeah... sorry, I just can't really. I have to admit I read it and thought "...how can he actually be so pleased about that? How can he think that redresses the balance even a little? Maybe if I hadn't just taken all that first bit in, I might have been able to. :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I don't mean to pry or anything, but does she still maintain that she was totally committed at the time of the wedding?
I dunno I think probably all the excitement of planning it probably got to her a bit and I was too crazy about her to see anything else. Shit happens I guess.
So she admits now she was having doubts at the time, or not?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah I guess I've kind of had 4 months to rationalise everything in my head and I've sort of become immune to the shock of people hearing it for the first time. I didn't really mean to dissect the breakdown of our relationship in public like that, but like I said quite a few people from here saw the momentary facebook post I made so I thought it was probably best to get it out in the open rather than some people not knowing and embarrassing themselves by asking how me and Emma are getting along at the next co-event.
Jon Corby wrote:So she admits now she was having doubts at the time, or not?
She says she doesn't know when her feelings changed. I think she probably did have small doubts in her mind though and I'dve appreciated her being honest no matter how hurtful it was.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Man, that's fucked up, and cowardly. I think all women are basically psychos deep down.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

You said it. Bros before hos from now on :P

Also after months of blaming myself and feeling miserable that moment is when I finally reclaimed my dignity and it felt amazing. Also the day afterwards I finished my last ever uni exam and started my awesome new tutoring job. Feel like I've started a new chapter in my life :)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I think all women are basically psychos deep down.
You can fuck right off with that one, sport. Come out with something like that again and you'd better guard your rabbit. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gutted for you Dinos, but onwards and upwards, eh? ;) :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Oh Dinos.

That is a truly shocking story.

Will you be alright?
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Oh my god Dinos. I'm so sorry that happened to you :( That's so terrible. I was fuming just reading it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Goodness me! Not sure what to say really. At least you've come out the other side looking toward the future. ;) :) :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

so who gave you the bj. was it calums girlfriend. , Serious question, if you and Em hadnt got married do you think you would still be together?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:After 6 years of being together, me and Emma got married in November. For a few weeks it was bliss.

Emma soon got tired of domestic life though...
Sorry dude, one more thing that I meant to ask - did you not live together before you were married?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:After 6 years of being together, me and Emma got married in November. For a few weeks it was bliss.

Sorry dude, one more thing that I meant to ask - did you not live together before you were married?
What is this, Jeremy Kyle?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

What is this, Jeremy Kyle?
*throws envelope*
Your mum.

Nah, it was just the way it's worded. As in, why would "domestic life" be any different after marriage, unless they weren't living together before? And if they weren't, dunno, just find that a bit unusual I guess.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:why would "domestic life" be any different after marriage
This might be a clue.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I think all women are basically psychos deep down.
You can fuck right off with that one, sport. Come out with something like that again and you'd better guard your rabbit. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
^This.

I'm genuinely sorry this has happened Dinos but clearly she wasn't good enough for you! You deserve better!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Chris Davies wrote:Oh my god Dinos. I'm so sorry that happened to you :( That's so terrible. I was fuming just reading it.
Me too, mate. Shocked and gutted for you. :(
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Make sure you get custody of the tea pot (I do hope you still got your sense of humour) 8-)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Horrible story Dinos, I know how besotted you were with her when you got engaged. I have spoken to many a bloke in my time who have been through break-ups and almost to a man, have felt suicidal about the whole thing. Fast forward 12 months and they say the break-up was the best thing that could have happened as they are so much happier. Sure it will be the same for you. Big hugs.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

That's horrible, Dinos. Fair play to you for being so level-headed about it; I don't think I would be in the same situation.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Karen Pearson wrote: I'm genuinely sorry this has happened Dinos but clearly she wasn't good enough for you! You deserve better!
Totally agree with Karen. Her loss, not yours at all.