Why is fizzy water so disgusting?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Why is fizzy water so disgusting?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fizzy drinks in general are fine. Water is fine. But fizzy water is horrific. Why is this?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Why is fizzy water so disgusting?

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It has that special quality of being wet and dry at the same time. Weird.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I fucking love fizzy water. It's something which is delicious and exciting and yet completely not bad for you.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

It really is horrible, like if it even had the slightest bit of flavour to it, it'd be fine, but as it is it managed to be both bland and offensive at the same time.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

This needs a poll.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I used to think it was horrible because of the taste (Ben - if you really think it doesn't have the slightest of flavour to it then leave some to go flat and see if it tastes like normal water; it doesn't). But now I quite like it, i've gone full circle. I find it's surprisingly refreshing when cold on a hot day. I think it's like a healthy lemonade. It also works as a mixer for your Ribena, etc.
Heather wrote:I'll tell you why it's disgusting. It's like when you used to get inquisitive with the soda stream and try it without putting any concentrate in, and then run off crying because it was the worst thing you've ever tasted. It's a bit like when you first try gin in that respect but whereas I love gin now you can never get used to sparkling water.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Agreed sparkling water is fucking rank but I don't have answers as to why. :(
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Plain fizzy water falls somewhere between dish soap and piss on my list of things I'd want to drink. It's a freaking awesome mixer though, yea.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I tend to find most bottled water to be crap compared to the tap but I think were lucky in Ireland in that regard. The water in my Auntie's tap in particular is fucking amazing. It's unbelievably cold and refreshing. When I was a kid I used to love the water from the bathroom tap as well even though we weren't supposed to drink it as it comes from the tank in the attic and probably had rats piss in it. I'd love to be able to explain why fizzy water is disgusting but I can't, and it is.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:I fucking love fizzy water. It's something which is delicious and exciting and yet completely not bad for you.
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say it's exciting, but I have to admit I agree with you. My ex used to get a bit upset when I ordered it in restaurants, but surely it's better than ramming it full of sugar, caffeine and other unspeakable flavourings (not that I necessarily dislike any of those things!).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

What the hell is wrong with you all? I've clearly been wasting my time with this community.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Charlie Reams wrote:What the hell is wrong with you all? I've clearly been wasting my time with this community.
Seconded. Fizzy water is amazing (or at least, nowhere near the status of disgusting!)
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Fizzy drinks in general are fine. Water is fine. But fizzy water is horrific. Why is this?
dont like fizzy drinks. they feel like they are attacking and pinching at my tongue! my parents like fizzy water.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

The only fizzy drink worth drinking is champagne!
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Karen Pearson wrote:The only fizzy drink worth drinking is champagne!
I've tried champagne!!!!! ...It nips, bites, attacks and pinches at your tongue really hard - just like any other fizzy drinks! :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :( :( :| :| :| :cry: :cry: :cry: :? :? :? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Really gross champagne related story, I warn you...it's pretty disgusting:

So for finals of series 64 on the night Ned decides to buy like 3 bottles of champagne and we're all necking it back like he intended. I think at this point Ed vomits and leaves, I also vomit after downing some but miraculously are fine to stay in the building but that isn't the anecdote...so the next morning after waking up next to a half naked Josh Hurst (yummy) I go to catch my train home but stop off on McDonalds on the way to Manchester Picadilly. I have about half an hour until my train goes (about 10-15 minutes walk away from the McDonalds) and I suddenly have that horrible feeling that I need to shit. I contemplated holding it in until I got back to Hull about 2 and a half hours later and in doing so wasting more valuable minutes. So I plucked up the courage to go for a number two in a public toilet (bearing in mind this was only my third time! - one other time I've done this (that I can recall) was also in Manchester at the Science Museum). The stench was horrific...it smelt of champagne but like in a pooey smelly champagne way. That's not the worst part, when I open the cubicle door, there's only a bearded man waiting outside to use the cubicle after me (only 1 in the Maccy D's). God knows how long he'd been there and god knows if he smelt the champagne.

Sorry guys, told you it was gross, but it made me laugh because I'm disgusting and I know there is a small percentage on this forum who enjoy some good old fashioned toilet humour. For the majority that don't then I apologise.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Really gross champagne related story, I warn you...it's pretty disgusting:

So for finals of series 64 on the night Ned decides to buy like 3 bottles of champagne and we're all necking it back like he intended. I think at this point Ed vomits and leaves, I also vomit after downing some but miraculously are fine to stay in the building but that isn't the anecdote...so the next morning after waking up next to a half naked Josh Hurst (yummy) I go to catch my train home but stop off on McDonalds on the way to Manchester Picadilly. I have about half an hour until my train goes (about 10-15 minutes walk away from the McDonalds) and I suddenly have that horrible feeling that I need to shit. I contemplated holding it in until I got back to Hull about 2 and a half hours later and in doing so wasting more valuable minutes. So I plucked up the courage to go for a number two in a public toilet (bearing in mind this was only my third time! - one other time I've done this (that I can recall) was also in Manchester at the Science Museum). The stench was horrific...it smelt of champagne but like in a pooey smelly champagne way. That's not the worst part, when I open the cubicle door, there's only a bearded man waiting outside to use the cubicle after me (only 1 in the Maccy D's). God knows how long he'd been there and god knows if he smelt the champagne.

Sorry guys, told you it was gross, but it made me laugh because I'm disgusting and I know there is a small percentage on this forum who enjoy some good old fashioned toilet humour. For the majority that don't then I apologise.
I get the toilet bit, but where is the humour?

How does Josh Hurst look half-naked, on a scale of

to

?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: I get the toilet bit, but where is the humour?

He's closer to picture 1. And the humour for me was the embarrassment of having someone waiting outside while I filled the toilet room with shitty champagne vapour.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: I get the toilet bit, but where is the humour?

He's closer to picture 1. And the humour for me was the embarrassment of having someone waiting outside while I filled the toilet room with shitty champagne vapour.
I was expecting you to shit yourself at the very least.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was expecting you to shit yourself at the very least.
... running to the toilet, like this...?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I was expecting you to shit yourself at the very least.
Likewise. The story was basically "I did a poo in a toilet".

Still kicked the shit out of any of Jonathan Ansell's anecdotes though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Cos it's acidic, and acids taste crappy.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

Yeah Ned and I had got through a fair bit of free champagne at the contestants' after-party, and it didn't seem sensible to mix our drinks.

Unfortunately it seems I may have over-indulged slightly, which may or may not have led to a (possibly) very attractive Norwegian girl slipping from my grasp. Literally.

So in conclusion, champagne is not good for you. I quite like fizzy water though.