Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

/
Last edited by James Nguyen on Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: WEED

Post by Innis Carson »

How long ago did you start? Wondering how much this may possibly explain...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Never done weed, never will. Ben Hunter and the Irish lot on this forum might enjoy this topic though.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I like Innis' reaction and I like Ryan's new picture. Never tried weed though. Whiffs a bit. Is it any good?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

To answer your question, I went to a private school.
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

Innis Carson wrote:How long ago did you start? Wondering how much this may possibly explain...
Haha, pretty sure I was still hyper before I started. I started in ... November I think? Can't really remember.
Adam Gillard wrote:I like Innis' reaction and I like Ryan's new picture. Never tried weed though. Whiffs a bit. Is it any good?
Better it stinks, better it is.

Depends on who you are; weed doesn't agree with everyone. It's really enjoyable and relaxing for most though(After you pull a whitey).
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I once searched my name on YouTube and it came up with "Adam Gillard rolling a spliff". Can't find that video now though. I don't think I have anything spliffier than that to contribute.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Was never cool enough to be goaded into it at school, and haven't seen any reason to start on my own accord.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm generally a good boy now. It's fucking great in the right quantities and times, but it's never really been something you show off about on forums for me. It's all real life.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Used to smoke tons of the stuff. Hadn't smoked in over a year but had some two weekends ago and wasn't like I had remembered. Didn't enjoy it at all. Got way too paranoid in a way I never got before.
James Nguyen wrote: Better it stinks, better it is.
On that, I was on a stag weekend in Liverpool about a month ago and bought some. Went back to the hotel to change before going out and rolled two joints for later on. Something was wrong with the heating in the room so we called front desk and the girl came round to check it out so I had hid the bag and the two joints behind a window box out on the window sill. As she walked in she said, "The smell of skunkch in 'ere" and we hadn't even smoked any, just rolled. She said if the room smelled like that in the morning she'd call the police. Anyway, checked the window sill after she had gone and the bag and one of the joints was missing. Didn't end up smoking the other joint as I didn't want to be stinking walking past the girl at the desk. Bit of a waste of 20 quid. It was clearly quality stuff though.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

If you smoke weed you'll die when you're 12.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:It's fucking great in the right quantities and times, but it's never really been something you show off about on forums for me. It's all real life
This. I have a long history with it and there's some interesting stories to tell, but I don't think here's the right place for that.
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

OK :3 Just bored.

And no, I'm not showing off about it.

EDIT: That must have been some pretty danky stuff Mark..
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Weed is a funny thing. I think when I found out Jim smoked I was half "I'm not surprised" and half "I know I'm going to like you a lot".
There's nothing exclusive about it - I like tons of people a lot who would never touch drugs, and I've met plenty of people who use drugs who are utter scum.
But it's one of those things where if you think you MIGHT well like someone, and then you find out they smoke weed, you just KNOW you're going to like them.
That probably sounds ridiculous and somehow superficial but it's true.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Weed is a funny thing. I think when I found out Jim smoked I was half "I'm not surprised" and half "I know I'm going to like you a lot".
There's nothing exclusive about it - I like tons of people a lot who would never touch drugs, and I've met plenty of people who use drugs who are utter scum.
But it's one of those things where if you think you MIGHT well like someone, and then you find out they smoke weed, you just KNOW you're going to like them.
Yeah I understand, it's like, now I've read this post I just KNOW you're a dick.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Weed is a funny thing. I think when I found out Jim smoked I was half "I'm not surprised" and half "I know I'm going to like you a lot".
Yeah I understand, it's like, now I've read this post I just KNOW you're a dick.
Would have been funnier if you started by saying "I thought you MIGHT be a dick, but now I've read..."
Maybe if you weren't so afraid of drugs you'd be able to let your creativity flow better.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: But it's one of those things where if you think you MIGHT well like someone, and then you find out they smoke weed, you just KNOW you're going to like them.
This is one of the weirdest things I've ever read. Please elaborate.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:But it's one of those things where if you think you MIGHT well like someone, and then you find out they smoke weed, you just KNOW you're going to like them.
This is one of the weirdest things I've ever read. Please elaborate.
Haha, I dunno. I guess it's that idea of people having similar hobbies (when the hobby is quite a commitment rather than throwaway) being suggestive of the two people in question probably having more in the head in common than simply the hobby itself. Doesn't have to be weed, I bet many of us have done the same with "word games" or something.

It could mean nothing, too. I mean, like any of us, I'm not likely to dedicate much time to getting to know someone who doesn't instantly come across as generally okay anyway, but yeah there's a certain amount of similar thinking that seems to go along with all the weed smokers I've met. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Nope, never done it. I've had plenty of opportunities to but I doubt I ever will.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

If anyone was only ever going try one drug, and once, there's no way I'd recommend weed.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

This is the last thread I expected from James Nguyen, but fair play, even if your experience is a bit weird...

I first smoked cannabis at 15 years old and had a brief flirtation with the stoner lifestyle until I had a traumatic episode which caused me to develop a panic disorder that lasted the best part of a year. Then from about 17 years onward I smoked less and less until eventually at 21 I decided to pass up on all opportunities for a cheeky puff. My life recently took a funny turn and I now work in 'the industry' albeit in a completely legal capacity.
Charlie Reams wrote:To answer your question, I went to a private school.
I've heard many tales of private school life from a mate who went to Winchester so hopefully I'm able to correctly decode this otherwise cryptic answer...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ha, that's a cool pic.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Never tried weed, never tried any drugs* at all, never even so much as had a drag on a cigarette (and I'm not just saying that because my dad's on here). Pretty much everybody else in my circle of friends (from school/college) did (or still does to some degree) but I never ever felt like I was missing out on anything. Not like when you're sober and everyone else is drunk. Never ever felt the slightest inclination to try.

*not counting alcohol as a drug, you know what I mean.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I just smoked my third cigarette (lifetime tally) because I'm feeling bored and self-destructive. Now my mouth hurts and I smell horrific. Wouldn't recommend it.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I've only ever smoked cigarettes and it's only when drunk and usually because I end up going to the "Smoker's Deck" when bored. Once the outer bit of skin in my mouth just started peeling away the next day. Now even after a drink I still always say No. Smoking isn't nice in my opinion.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jon Corby wrote:Never tried weed, never tried any drugs* at all, never even so much as had a drag on a cigarette (and I'm not just saying that because my dad's on here). Pretty much everybody else in my circle of friends (from school/college) did (or still does to some degree) but I never ever felt like I was missing out on anything. Not like when you're sober and everyone else is drunk. Never ever felt the slightest inclination to try.

Never saw the appeal in getting stinking drunk personally. The stories afterwards from friends at school always used to amuse me. Going on about how great it was they couldn't remember anything and what a great night they had (the one they couldn't remember). The way every element is embellished as something brilliant, such as the memory loss, the projectile vomit, the hangover, how many cans/bottles they had.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:I just smoked my third cigarette (lifetime tally) because I'm feeling bored and self-destructive. Now my mouth hurts and I smell horrific. Wouldn't recommend it.
I've had about the same number of cigarettes, and they're awful. Try a cigar man. You don't have to inhale and they taste nice, plus you get to feel cool as fuck.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Never tried weed, never tried any drugs* at all, never even so much as had a drag on a cigarette (and I'm not just saying that because my dad's on here). Pretty much everybody else in my circle of friends (from school/college) did (or still does to some degree) but I never ever felt like I was missing out on anything. Not like when you're sober and everyone else is drunk. Never ever felt the slightest inclination to try.

Never saw the appeal in getting stinking drunk personally. The stories afterwards from friends at school always used to amuse me. Going on about how great it was they couldn't remember anything and what a great night they had (the one they couldn't remember). The way every element is embellished as something brilliant, such as the memory loss, the projectile vomit, the hangover, how many cans/bottles they had.
Hmm I dunno I think what makes being drunk fun is the essential thing of people doing and saying things that they never meant to or would never do without alcohol. This always amuses me and drunken times always produce good anecdotes in the end. Just last week my mate text his mum "still grafting on the gash?" and "just hanging out the back door" which I thought was pretty hilarious at the time. Embarrassing when she rang him the next day like. Agree though that getting obliterated to the point where you can not remember a thing is not the way to go in terms of having fun.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon Corby wrote:Never tried weed, never tried any drugs* at all, never even so much as had a drag on a cigarette Never ever felt the slightest inclination to try.
Me neither - despite the fact 3 of my 4 older siblings smoked tobacco and other stuff when they were younger.
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

Smoked fairly regularly between the ages of about 15 and 22. Got a bit bored of it so stopped. Still enjoy an occassional puff when I'm with stoner friends.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

See, I thought I might like Tom from what I'd seen on Countdown, and now I know I will.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:See, I thought I might like Tom from what I'd seen on Countdown, and now I know I will.
Get a room you two.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Odd... this was mentioned to me at school and I gladly turned it down - never smoked Weed, never will. Plus it's illegal.

(WEED = Term for cannabis)
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Odd... this was mentioned to me at school and I gladly turned it down - never smoked Weed, never will. Plus it's illegal.

(WEED = Term for cannabis)
Excellent input.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:(WEED = Term for cannabis)
Oh, scrub what I wrote then, didn't realise this. Yeah, I do it all the time, it's ace 8-)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote:If anyone was only ever going try one drug, and once, there's no way I'd recommend weed.
Agreed. 2c-b or 2c-d are the way to go. LSD style tripping with an ecstasy love buzz. Or DMT you if want a truly religious experience. I also understand what you mean Matt about knowing you'll like someone when you find out they smoke weed. Even though I don't smoke much any more I prefer hanging out with stoners more than anybody else. Although sometimes I get disappointed when I find out certain people smoke like the dude from S Club 7 who was caught with a joint.

Here's a good site for drug information http://www.youtube.com/user/NeuroSoup

As I always say, "just say Know to drugs".
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Try a cigar man. You don't have to inhale and they taste nice, plus you get to feel cool as fuck.
I was thinking that when I reach 40 (later this year) I might start smoking a pipe.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Haha, I dunno. I guess it's that idea of people having similar hobbies (when the hobby is quite a commitment rather than throwaway) being suggestive of the two people in question probably having more in the head in common than simply the hobby itself. Doesn't have to be weed, I bet many of us have done the same with "word games" or something.

It could mean nothing, too. I mean, like any of us, I'm not likely to dedicate much time to getting to know someone who doesn't instantly come across as generally okay anyway, but yeah there's a certain amount of similar thinking that seems to go along with all the weed smokers I've met. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I think you've just been lucky. I've never smoked weed but I have known a lot of people who do or have at some point. And you get all sorts - some are great people, some are complete twats.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I'd do (and have done) any drug put in front of me and wouldn't care about the consequences. I am not saying this to boast but suspect there is a psychological pathology that makes alternate states an attractive proposition.

Also, given my own experience, I think if you rely on these artificial colourings and preservatives there may be something wrong with your own personality.

In essence, just say no ...
...drugs are for mugs ...
...mugs are for tea...
I like tea ergo drugs are for me; not sure if I just confounded or emphasised my original point.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

What is it about the people on this forum that set them apart from the rest of the human race? You don't, even when young, get succumbed by peer pressure and make your own decisions. Hardly any spliffs, not many smokers, you all see the dangers and don't join in with the crowd. Truly impressive.

I was a teenager in the sixties and my mate Baz and I thought we ought to try cannabis just the once to see what all the fuss was about. A girl at work said she could get me a chunk of resin for £5 but I would have to buy it myself. This involved me going to a local park at a specified time, sitting on a seat, being joined by a male stranger who gave me an envelope for the fiver.

That night Baz and me excitedly went into my back garden, with Rizlas, tobacco and realised we had no idea what to do next so we grated some of the resin amongst the tobacco and rolled it up and smoked it. We passed it back and forth until it was gone. No effect at all. Buried the rest of the chunk in the garden (perhaps it wasn't even cannabis resin, who knows?) Both said that was a waste of money and I have never touched any drugs again

God, I am turning into George Jenkins................
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

Chris Corby wrote:What is it about the people on this forum that set them apart from the rest of the human race? You don't, even when young, get succumbed by peer pressure and make your own decisions. Hardly any spliffs, not many smokers, you all see the dangers and don't join in with the crowd. Truly impressive.

I was a teenager in the sixties and my mate Baz and I thought we ought to try cannabis just the once to see what all the fuss was about. A girl at work said she could get me a chunk of resin for £5 but I would have to buy it myself. This involved me going to a local park at a specified time, sitting on a seat, being joined by a male stranger who gave me an envelope for the fiver.

That night Baz and me excitedly went into my back garden, with Rizlas, tobacco and realised we had no idea what to do next so we grated some of the resin amongst the tobacco and rolled it up and smoked it. We passed it back and forth until it was gone. No effect at all. Buried the rest of the chunk in the garden (perhaps it wasn't even cannabis resin, who knows?) Both said that was a waste of money and I have never touched any drugs again

You can't have inhaled that properly ...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

James Nguyen wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:What is it about the people on this forum that set them apart from the rest of the human race? You don't, even when young, get succumbed by peer pressure and make your own decisions. Hardly any spliffs, not many smokers, you all see the dangers and don't join in with the crowd. Truly impressive.

Yeah, at least George Jenkins would have done it right. Perfectly, in fact.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Corby wrote:I was a teenager in the sixties and my mate Baz and I thought we ought to try cannabis just the once to see what all the fuss was about. [...] That night Baz and me excitedly went into my back garden, with Rizlas, tobacco and realised we had no idea what to do next so we grated some of the resin amongst the tobacco and rolled it up and smoked it. We passed it back and forth until it was gone. No effect at all. Buried the rest of the chunk in the garden (perhaps it wasn't even cannabis resin, who knows?) Both said that was a waste of money and I have never touched any drugs again
I still cringe at the memory of my first joint, which I smoked (in a university bedroom, aged 19) in the company of a group of experienced users. I was told to make sure I inhaled properly, so I did. After the initial coughing fit, I found my vision was glazing over and my head was swimming; I assumed this was the intended effect so I said something along the lines of "Oh, wow, that's really amazing". Everyone else in the room pissed themselves laughing at my overreaction. It was then pointed out to me that cannabis has almost no effect on you the first time you take it, and certainly isn't that instant; my head rush was entirely due to the nicotine in the tobacco. :oops:

I got better at it after that, but never really liked smoking the stuff, even through a bong. I had my best experiences eating shared meals (usually a big bowl of spag bol) which had been liberally laced with Afghan Black.

Have never taken any other illegal drug to my knowledge, and haven't touched cannabis for the best part of 15 years now.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

My body is a temple.
That's why I look like a Buddah.
Never taken anything illegal (apart from some twats bike lol)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Marc Meakin wrote:Never taken anything illegal (apart from some twats bike lol)
Not doing something because it's illegal isn't virtuous unless you consider the moral case for the law being in place.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

James Nguyen wrote:

I won't sleep tonight Chris. I can't stop laughing. Seriously though, your post was a refreshing change from the previous posts extolling the virtues of smoking and drugs etc. They will soon be at the stage when they say "I can stop any time I like, but I'll just mug that old lady for her handbag". It happens most days.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've yet to mug an old lady, George. Unless by "mugging" you are referring to a unique sexual position. In which case I probably have mugged an old lady. For money. For drugs.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Never taken anything illegal (apart from some twats bike lol)
Not doing something because it's illegal isn't virtuous unless you consider the moral case for the law being in place.
I wasn't implying it was.
just an excuse for the joke.
FWIW i think anyone that needs an artificial chemical high to get by, are fundamentally weak, I prefer adrenalin and endorfins (?)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

George F. Jenkins wrote:I won't sleep tonight Chris. I can't stop laughing.
Hmm, what could have caused this?