Easter Eggs.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mark James
Kiloposter

Easter Eggs.

Post by Mark James »

How many did you get? What's your favourite? Why do some have activities on the box such as word searches and a make your own cardboard spinny thing? Since when has chocolate not been able to sell by itself? And just what the hell has it all got to do with Jesus anyway? Here's your chance to discuss all things chocolatey and egg shaped.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Easter Eggs.

Post by Ben Wilson »

Six. Plus a chocolate cow, hen and rabbit. I should also reiterate here that I'm 28. :mrgreen:

My brother, who's 38, got three.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

As a youngster I got loads of Easter eggs. Ben, who's 28, got 6. His brother, 38, got 3. I'm 49 1/2 and only got one.
Is this evidence of some sort of inverse-square law for number of eggs received?

Does this mean at some point in the future I'm going to receive a small fragment of an Easter egg? :(
No wonder old people are grumpy :twisted:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I got one easter egg and it was from my mum. It was a malteser one. She gave me it on Saturday and I ate the maltesers, revels and minstrels that came with it there and then and then when I staggered back home on Saturday night I demolished the egg that I'd set aside on my dressing table. Mmmmmm. I did however have two £1 easter eggs a few weeks ago just for the hell of it.

Now this may sound weird and you might not have a clue what I'm going on about but what I love about easter eggs is like the hairline kind of fractures that appear on it. I'll try explain it a bit better...if you have like a piece of egg and you want to snap it in half if you just gently apply some pressure you can see the fault line where it is going to break and you can watch it like progress through the egg. What I try and do for funsies is try and get the breaking line to stop just short of breaking point! It's really fun. That is my favourite thing about Easter Eggs. If you know what I'm on about then am I the only one who does this? I find it really satisfying.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

A packet of creme eggs (three in a pack);
A packet of Skittles (which are nothing to do with Easter so I don't know why I got them for Easter);
A packet of mini eggs (a lot in a pack);
An After Eight easter egg (with some After Eights inside as well as the Easter egg);
A Rolo easter egg (with a Rolo bar inside as well as the Easter egg);
A Thorntons easter egg (with my name on and a tiara on it);
A buttons easter egg (with a packet of buttons inside as well as the Easter egg);
A small chocolate bunny (Lindt);
An Aero easter egg (with two Aero bars inside as well as the Easter egg);
A packet of chocolates (Lindor);
A pink cushion (which is nothing to do with Easter so I don't know why I got it for Easter);
A caramel easter egg (with two caramel bars inside as well as the Easter egg);
A Creme Egg easter egg (with a Creme Egg inside as well as the Easter egg).
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

John Gillies wrote:As a youngster I got loads of Easter eggs. Ben, who's 28, got 6. His brother, 38, got 3. I'm 49 1/2 and only got one.
Is this evidence of some sort of inverse-square law for number of eggs received?
Yet I'm 39 and I didn't get any at all. This data is all over the place, I think we may need a team of top scienticians with powerful computing devices to make any sense of it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Here's a question - are Chocolate Oranges an Easter thing?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Here's a question - are Chocolate Oranges an Easter thing?
I would more associate them more with Christmas, if they had to be associated with a particular holiday/occasion.
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

i got one and it was from my mum; she gave it to me a week ago. Yay.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'm 29 and got two myself. A Malteasers one like Ryan and a Cadbury's Twirl which had the make your own cardboard spinny thing on the box. My Dad is in his sixties and he got two which fucks up the numbers even more. His ones were a Cadbury's Roses and Flake. The flake one had the word search on it. Was disappointed that the Malteaser one came with revels and minstrels. Why can't they have their own Easter egg? I'd have much rather had three packets of malteasers. Even though I did eat the revels last night. And I'm pretty sure orange chocolate was forged by Lucifer himself.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark James wrote:I'd have much rather had three packets of malteasers.
If you love them so much then why can't you spell it! :shock:

I agree that there should be separate eggs for revels and minstrels though. The egg was very nice itself though.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I've never really been able to justify Easter eggs. Sure, there's a value you can ascribe to the fun of having your chocolate in an egg shape, but for me that value is never high enough to justify the crazy increase in cost.

That said, I always feel that an egg with some chocolate bars is a bit crap - I'm much more of a fan of the ones where you get stuff inside the egg, it's like an exciting surprise waiting for you (even if you know what it's going to be). When you just get an egg and 3 Mars bars, you may as well buy 3 Mars bars and a separate egg. Is it inherently fun getting your chocolate bars in the same box as the egg?

(Yes, I am very boring.)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I got 6 this year: two Snickers; two Dairy Milk Caramel's; Mars and a Creme Egg one. I don't like Nestle flavoured eggs though. I do remember one year we all got about 20 each, there's 3 of us, so the cupboard was just full of chocolate. I think we only got to eat about 3 each though. :(
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mark James wrote:I'd have much rather had three packets of malteasers.
If you love them so much then why can't you spell it! :shock:

I agree that there should be separate eggs for revels and minstrels though. The egg was very nice itself though.
Ooops. Probably too busy eating them to care how they're spelled. Could've swore there was an A in there though. I liked the egg but I prefer Cadbury's eggs.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Robinson wrote:
I would more associate them more with Christmas, if they had to be associated with a particular holiday/occasion.
Not sure, but is there some kind of vague connection with the tradition of getting a tangerine in your Christmas stocking? Does anyone still do that? And does anyone else like the 'stalky' bit of chocolate you get in the middle of the chocolate orange?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Not sure, but is there some kind of vague connection with the tradition of getting a tangerine in your Christmas stocking? Does anyone still do that? And does anyone else like the 'stalky' bit of chocolate you get in the middle of the chocolate orange?
I love the stalky bit!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Another stalk fan here, I suggest we call ourselves Stalkers.

I have a considerably younger sister and egalitarian parents so I have to get as many eggs as her, no matter my protestations. Think it was 7 this year, plus a chocolate bunny. I don't even like chocolate.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:Another stalk fan here, I suggest we call ourselves Stalkers.

I have a considerably younger sister and egalitarian parents so I have to get as many eggs as her, no matter my protestations. Think it was 7 this year, plus a chocolate bunny. I don't even like chocolate.
Does that mean they only eat eggs?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Another stalk fan here, I suggest we call ourselves Stalkers.

Does that mean they only eat eggs?
I'm pretty sure it means they only eat eagles.

Edit: I also just had an image of the Reams' sat around a large dining table tucking into some bald eagles. In my head the family were all ginger (which is probably not the case), but basically what the Weasley family would look like if they had a bit of money.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:I have a considerably younger sister and egalitarian parents so I have to get as many eggs as her, no matter my protestations. Think it was 7 this year, plus a chocolate bunny. I don't even like chocolate.
I don't get this. The ankle-biter in our house has been given loads of eggs by various generous family and friends, nursery, Easter Bunny, etc., so how does it work if she's been given eggs and you haven't? Do they make up the deficit? It might be one thing to buy you one each, but to have be legging it down to Thornton's cos her bezzie mate's bought her one and your hasn't is a bit much. Either that or I really like chocolate: would they consider adopting me?

I was given one by my lovely in-laws. The maltesers have gone but the egg's still in tact. Think that's a record :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote:I don't get this. The ankle-biter in our house has been given loads of eggs by various generous family and friends, nursery, Easter Bunny, etc., so how does it work if she's been given eggs and you haven't?
They're really the only people who buy eggs for either of us, but I think they probably wouldn't make up the deficit.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I got 2 Easter eggs (including extras of 4 Maltesers 'bars' and 4 Flakes). Both eggs suffered impact damage and crumbled upon opening. Yay.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Chocolate oranges = yummy!
Chocolate oranges = not to do with easter.
Fact or opinion = opinion.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P