What is your latest job news?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ian Dent
Devotee

What is your latest job news?

Post by Ian Dent »

Out of interest.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: What is your latest job news?

Post by Matt Morrison »

Doing a paid internship to get some recent experience as finding a web design job in London was harder than anticipated.
Just applied for an awesome job being the media and communications officer at a school, really want it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'm unemployed and looking to stay that way for the time being. Just can't think of anything I'd really like to do. Unless there's a premiership football club looking for an unfit 29-year-old with no discernible talent. Besides Man City obviously. I couldn't play for those bastards.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote:I'm unemployed and looking to stay that way for the time being. Just can't think of anything I'd really like to do. Unless there's a premiership football club looking for an unfit 29-year-old with no discernible talent. Besides Man City obviously. I couldn't play for those bastards.
Do you have any life expenses?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:Just can't think of anything I'd really like to do.
You know that's not really the idea, right?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote:Just can't think of anything I'd really like to do.
You know that's not really the idea, right?
It is if you can. If you can't, you're normal.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I should have gotten paid today but didn't.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Same question as JonO.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mark James wrote:I'm unemployed and looking to stay that way for the time being. Just can't think of anything I'd really like to do. Unless there's a premiership football club looking for an unfit 29-year-old with no discernible talent. Besides Man City obviously. I couldn't play for those bastards.
Do you have any life expenses?
£15 a year.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Hunter wrote:£15 a year.
lol
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ok, For Jon, I'm unemployed and I get job seekers allowance which covers my living expenses which are fairly minimal what with me still living at home. For Charlie, yes I know that's not the idea. Admittedly I don't put as much effort to finding a job as I should but even when I have I've gotten no responses, even for training courses. Currently though this situation is fine by me. If I have to, I will work, even if it's something I don't really like doing, but at the moment I don't have to. However, if I eventually do get a job that I don't really like I would still, at least, like to have an idea of what I would really like to do though, even if I never got to do it. But I can't think of anything.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

My latest job news is that I do not have a job.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I hate the idea of getting a job so I plan on just trying really hard in my exams and hopefully not have to get one for ages. If I did have one I'd like it to be something where working extremely hard is worthwhile and actually achieves something as I tend to obsess over things or not bother at all. I thought playing poker professionally could be a good option but it takes a special kind of person to tolerate the disgusting swings you have to endure. I think my perfect life would be to have like £1 million, buy a house with loads and loads of fields, live off the interest and just avoid any human contact ever. It might get a bit boring but I don't think it would be.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Pretty good, really. I've just found out I've qualified again as Team Leader for Usborne, so I'm chuffed about that. My little computer-care thing's going very steadily, and in the B&B we're rammed for the next few weeks and some of our favourite punters are back at the same time. One's a lovely Floridan lady who's extremely excitable about history, a cricket fan who's always extremely good company and up for contributions doing the FT crossword over breakfast, a no-nonsense Nigerian nurse who works nights doing district nursing and some French teachers over on an exchange. Happy days :)

If you're not sure what to do I'd really recommend being self-employed; there're lots of advantages.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jimmy Gough wrote:I'd like it to be something where working extremely hard is worthwhile
Jimmy Gough wrote:I think my perfect life would be to have like £1 million
Jimmy Gough wrote:avoid any human contact ever
Sounds like you should be a quant.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

I'm in a similar situation to Mark - currently unemployed. I have started looking for a job with more vigour lately as I'm getting pretty sick of just been at home all the time. I earn a little money from playing online poker and live with my parents so I'm not actually that badly off money-wise but I get very, very bored.

If anyone knows of any admin vacancies in the Redcar area, let me know!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote:Ok, For Jon, I'm unemployed and I get job seekers allowance which covers my living expenses which are fairly minimal what with me still living at home. For Charlie, yes I know that's not the idea. Admittedly I don't put as much effort to finding a job as I should but even when I have I've gotten no responses, even for training courses. Currently though this situation is fine by me. If I have to, I will work, even if it's something I don't really like doing, but at the moment I don't have to. However, if I eventually do get a job that I don't really like I would still, at least, like to have an idea of what I would really like to do though, even if I never got to do it. But I can't think of anything.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

To answer the original question: going back to Google this summer, currently waiting for my visa. Should be fun.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Lesley Hines wrote: If you're not sure what to do I'd really recommend being self-employed; there're lots of advantages.
Me too. I couldn't go back to working for someone else now. And when times are a bit quiet (like now), you can work on improving your golf and getting fitter (but that's another thread)!!

But, to answer the original question properly, things have been quiet since Christmas but have just started to pick up and it looks like May and June are going to be manic. Self-employment tends to mean a constant cycle of feast and famine.