Angry Birds

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Angry Birds

Post by Matt Morrison »

Who else does? I don't do iProducts, so it was quite a treat when it was released on PC to see what the fuss is about, and I'm pretty into it now.
I'm being a geek with all the stars and that, generally not moving on til I've 3-starred it. First section complete with 189/189 but I'm getting really pissed off with the 2nd stage, 2 short on 124/126 (or thereabouts).

The last 2 levelsare both stuck on 2 stars. I've tried so many tactics, grr. Anyone 3-starred these fuckers? (Yes I know there are walkthroughs and youtube videos obviously if I get that desperate.)
Image Image

My favourite Angry Birds-based treat was installing it on Heather's laptop when I first got it, telling her I'd put on a game she'd like, she loaded it up and was all like "what the fuck is this, oh god no I hate all these sort of games, I thought it was going to be a word game or something". 2 days later she gives in hearing the noises of me playing from across the room and now she's totally hooked haha.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Angry Birds

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Who else does? I don't do iProducts, so it was quite a treat when it was released on PC to see what the fuss is about, and I'm pretty into it now.
I'm currently addicted, got it on my Android. They need to release a frigging paid version though, cos at the moment you've got a huge ad plastered in the top right which makes it difficult to play sometimes, particularly with the boomerang birds, which are my favourite incidentally.
Matt Morrison wrote:I'm being a geek with all the stars and that, generally not moving on til I've 3-starred it. First section complete with 189/189 but I'm getting really pissed off with the 2nd stage, 2 short on 124/126 (or thereabouts).

The last 2 levelsare both stuck on 2 stars. I've tried so many tactics, grr. Anyone 3-starred these fuckers? (Yes I know there are walkthroughs and youtube videos obviously if I get that desperate.)
Haha, it must suck to be you. Why on earth would you do that to yourself? I love the excitement of seeing a new level and working out the tactics to beat it. I couldn't wait around to get 3 stars each time, that would absolutely depress me.
Matt Morrison wrote:My favourite Angry Birds-based treat was installing it on Heather's laptop when I first got it, telling her I'd put on a game she'd like, she loaded it up and was all like "what the fuck is this, oh god no I hate all these sort of games, I thought it was going to be a word game or something". 2 days later she gives in hearing the noises of me playing from across the room and now she's totally hooked haha.
Oh yeah, this. When I was playing it Lizzie would be huffing and puffing cos she wasn't getting any attention, I gave her it and forced her to have a go, and as soon as she grudgingly accepted, she was hooked. This game really brings out the worst in her, swearing, cheating, all sorts. We had quite a bad argument the other day cos she took two goes in a row when we were taking it in turns, probably our worst argument in 18 months of going out. Oh, apart from the time I mocked her for crying at Marley and Me. She didn't like that. You can learn a lot about a relationship through Angry Birds.

Sick game though, everything about it is great. Jack Hurst likes the noises, and so do I.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Me. Also addicted.

What do you mean Jono that they should bring out a paid version? They have! I've paid my 59p for the full version and a further 2x59p for the Halloween and Advent versions. And there's just been an update to the main version which is free so I'm currently working through that.

I also didn't think it was my sort of game until James started playing it!

I do also quite like one of the air traffic control games too.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Karen Pearson wrote:What do you mean Jono that they should bring out a paid version? They have! I've paid my 59p for the full version and a further 2x59p for the Halloween and Advent versions. And there's just been an update to the main version which is free so I'm currently working through that.
Is that on Android?

There's a new update for Seasons as well I think, Valentine's Day ones!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm currently addicted, got it on my Android. They need to release a frigging paid version though, cos at the moment you've got a huge ad plastered in the top right which makes it difficult to play sometimes, particularly with the boomerang birds, which are my favourite incidentally.
Yeah this is the 'paid for' version. Four big sections of levels and that. No idea if any of these other add-ons you talk of are available for PC yet.

I've seen Heather playing with the boomerang toucans, not got there yet due to my own star obsessions. She absolutely hates the toucans. She also hates the eggs too, I got an updated "which are worse; eggs or toucans?" answer the other day but I've forgotten it now, I just know she despises them both, much of her hate for the toucans is based on that jungle level where you have to tuck them right in at the bottom, taking out the upside-down triangles. Here it is:

Her utter hate for the eggs is a little more surprising, considering she was the one that taught me the tactic of aiming them such that you lay the explosive egg, and then ensure that the original bird that flies off at an angle crashes into another part of the level. She taught me that, which has proved essential for 3-starring several levels, but she still hates them.
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I'm being a geek with all the stars and that, generally not moving on til I've 3-starred it.
Haha, it must suck to be you. Why on earth would you do that to yourself? I love the excitement of seeing a new level and working out the tactics to beat it. I couldn't wait around to get 3 stars each time, that would absolutely depress me.
You love "working out the tactics to beat" a level. This is just the same as the enjoyment from working out the tactics to 3-star a level, you must be able to see that! Except that when I complete a level and see a new one, it's even more of an excitement, even more of a relief, and even more deserved.
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:My favourite Angry Birds-based treat was installing it on Heather's laptop when I first got it, telling her I'd put on a game she'd like, she loaded it up and was all like "what the fuck is this, oh god no I hate all these sort of games, I thought it was going to be a word game or something". 2 days later she gives in hearing the noises of me playing from across the room and now she's totally hooked haha.
Oh yeah, this. When I was playing it Lizzie would be huffing and puffing cos she wasn't getting any attention, I gave her it and forced her to have a go, and as soon as she grudgingly accepted, she was hooked. This game really brings out the worst in her, swearing, cheating, all sorts. We had quite a bad argument the other day cos she took two goes in a row when we were taking it in turns, probably our worst argument in 18 months of going out. Oh, apart from the time I mocked her for crying at Marley and Me. She didn't like that. You can learn a lot about a relationship through Angry Birds.

Sick game though, everything about it is great. Jack Hurst likes the noises, and so do I.
Haha yeah. Good stories. I remember when Heather had been on Facebook and excitedly told me about an exchange concerning the noises between you and Jack. She was so proud of telling me, and it was such a far cry from her disgust at the game to begin with. And yeah, further to her disgust with those toucans, man, the pain and the stress she went through to complete 6-10 (the jungle level above), it was painful to be in the room, I felt so bad for her. She did a face like an orgasm when she finally completed it (at least, I think that's what it looks like).
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:What do you mean Jono that they should bring out a paid version? They have! I've paid my 59p for the full version and a further 2x59p for the Halloween and Advent versions. And there's just been an update to the main version which is free so I'm currently working through that.
Is that on Android?

No, iPhone. I'll have a look out for the Valentine's one then. Surely must be worth 59p.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:I've paid my 59p for the full version and a further 2x59p for the Halloween and Advent versions.
Is that on Android?

No, iPhone. I'll have a look out for the Valentine's one then. Surely must be worth 59p.
Wikipedia wrote:In October 2010, Rovio released a special Halloween edition of the game. The version, exclusive to Apple iOS at the time and a separate application from the main game, included new levels with Halloween-themed music and graphics. In December 2010, Rovio released Angry Birds Seasons to iOS, Android and Symbian^3 devices. Seasons introduced 25 Christmas-themed levels, one for each day leading to the holiday, similar to an Advent calendar.

The latest update(v1.2.0) for Angry Birds Seasons adds 18 new levels in 'Valentine' theme and was released by Rovio in February 2011.

An upcoming special edition, Angry Birds Rio, will tie into the release of the 20th Century Fox animated film Rio and will be launched for iOS and Android in March 2011. In this version, the Angry Birds characters appear in Rio de Janeiro and attempt to rescue other birds, including characters from the film.
Yes to Android (partially), no to PC, then.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Is that on Android?

Ah, that explains it then. There's no paid one on Android yet, I think.
Matt Morrison wrote:I've seen Heather playing with the boomerang toucans, not got there yet due to my own star obsessions. She absolutely hates the toucans. She also hates the eggs too, I got an updated "which are worse; eggs or toucans?" answer the other day but I've forgotten it now, I just know she despises them both, much of her hate for the toucans is based on that jungle level where you have to tuck them right in at the bottom, taking out the upside-down triangles. Here it is:
Absolutely loved that level, mainly because of my sick boomerang bird skills.
Matt Morrison wrote:Her utter hate for the eggs is a little more surprising, considering she was the one that taught me the tactic of aiming them such that you lay the explosive egg, and then ensure that the original bird that flies off at an angle crashes into another part of the level. She taught me that, which has proved essential for 3-starring several levels, but she still hates them.
Yeah, egg birds are crap. I worked that out myself, it's very useful, and very satisfying to bomb something and knock something down in a double-whammy.
Matt Morrison wrote:You love "working out the tactics to beat" a level. This is just the same as the enjoyment from working out the tactics to 3-star a level, you must be able to see that! Except that when I complete a level and see a new one, it's even more of an excitement, even more of a relief, and even more deserved.
Yeah I do see this, but let's say to 3-star that shit you've got to throw three perfect birds, in the order of 1,2,3. 1 is the hardest, you only throw a perfect bird once every 5 times. 2 and 3 are easier, you do those once every three times. So you expect to take on average 45 attempts to do this, even though you know you have the ability to do it easily. Don't get me wrong, it must be hella satisfying to see all the stars all lined up, but when there are loads and loads of levels available (I worked it out, there are about 330 levels), and you haven't even got a boomerang bird yet, let alone a fat red bird or a bomb bird (?), I think you're missing out. As for more exciting, more relieving and more deserved, well, if I threw my phone into the Thames, walked barefoot to Kings Cross and offered my sexual services to wonky-eyed, wonky-toothed heroine addicts for 10p a pop for a year until I had enough money for another one, THEN played it and got 1 star in every level, I sure would be excited, relieved and feel like I deserved it. But those emotions are neither here nor there. Each to their own I suppose, I've never been one for completing actual computer games, although I did complete GTA San Andreas and it felt pretty good.
Matt Morrison wrote:Haha yeah. Good stories. I remember when Heather had been on Facebook and excitedly told me about an exchange concerning the noises between you and Jack. She was so proud of telling me, and it was such a far cry from her disgust at the game to begin with. And yeah, further to her disgust with those toucans, man, the pain and the stress she went through to complete 6-10 (the jungle level above), it was painful to be in the room, I felt so bad for her. She did a face like an orgasm when she finally completed it (at least, I think that's what it looks like).
I tend to do comically aggressive but heartfelt fist-pumps and mouth "fuck yeah, get the fuck in, COME ON" when I complete a level I've taken twenty or thirty goes at, even on the train. People think I'm insane until they see Angry Birds on my phone.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I've got it on the iPhone and I seriously love the game, though I will admit to playing it the Jono way (quickly move from one level to the next). I too hate the boomerang birds, though I'm quite fond of the eggs. Naturally my favourite bird is the black bomb one, to the extent that I'll actually replay level which exclusively have bomb birds long after I've 3-starred them just for fun.

Naturally, of course, Yahtzee has a lot to say about the game.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I played Gerbil Physics on the sex box, which I am reliably informed is basically the same game. Was alright.

Alternatively - THAT'S NO WAY TO TTLK ABOUT WOMEEENS!!!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh, done those last two levels from the second section to 3 stars this morning. Love it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Only found out Angry Birds is on the playstation store last night. Bit more expensive than from the istore and I prefer touch screen controls but still an amazing game. Was up till nine o'clock this morning playing it. Only a hand full of three stars though.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Is that a game? Cool. Well, all games are cool in my world! What exactly do you do on it?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

You have to launch the birds from the sling shot so that they knock over the structures and kill the pigs.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I've done all the levels now.

:(
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I've done all the levels now.

:(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:You have to launch the birds from the sling shot so that they knock over the structures and kill the pigs.
:o :lol: Cool!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

First 3 of the 4 sections completed to 3 stars. Main menu is starting to look sexy as fuck. Got cool special birds flying around like the guitar one :)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'm not entirely sure how to get three stars on some levels. Sometimes I clear all the pigs with one bird and still only get one or two stars. I wish it would tell you what score you need to score over to get three stars. Also there should be a reply option so you can watch your best shots.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote:I'm not entirely sure how to get three stars on some levels. Sometimes I clear all the pigs with one bird and still only get one or two stars. I wish it would tell you what score you need to score over to get three stars. Also there should be a reply option so you can watch your best shots.
Yeah, you kind of get used to the idea of it all after a while. First tip is that stars are always at a 5,000 point, so if you are stuck getting 78k, 79k, on 2 star, then 80k will almost definitely be the 3-star. Secondly, yes you get a lot of points for fully destroying the scenery - on certain levels I spent a lot of time trying to kill all the pigs with just 2 birds, when it's a lot better to be doing more damage whilst using all four birds, say.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

All stars done. ALL STARS DONE MOTHERFUCKERS.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:All stars done. ALL STARS DONE MOTHERFUCKERS.
Well done. Now how about spending some time with your real bird you negligent shit.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:All stars done. ALL STARS DONE MOTHERFUCKERS.
Well done. Now how about spending some time with your real bird you negligent shit.
You know how I love angry birds. And it's just made her more angry. I win.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwVRzaQNkA Never mind 6-year-olds, I'm 28 next birthday and I want that cake...
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ben Wilson wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwVRzaQNkA Never mind 6-year-olds, I'm 28 next birthday and I want that cake...
Just brilliant! I may have to have a go at that! I'm sure James (mine not Robinson) would love it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

So Matt, once I'd finished all the levels I went off Angry Birds for a while, but now I'm RIGHT back into it, going through to get at least 2 stars on every level. And I've got to say, it's a lot of fun, and there's definitely a skill to working out what you've got to do in a level to satisfy the mental scoring system. Nearly done now, I guess 3 stars and then all the golden eggs is next.

Playing it like this also gives you more appreciation of the level-creators. Man, that would be a cool job.

Also, I've realised a cool thing you can do with boomerang birds to turn them into a limited version of yellow birds. Just shoot them backwards and boomerang them straight away. Powerful.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jon O'Neill wrote:So Matt, once I'd finished all the levels I went off Angry Birds for a while, but now I'm RIGHT back into it, going through to get at least 2 stars on every level. And I've got to say, it's a lot of fun, and there's definitely a skill to working out what you've got to do in a level to satisfy the mental scoring system. Nearly done now, I guess 3 stars and then all the golden eggs is next.

Playing it like this also gives you more appreciation of the level-creators. Man, that would be a cool job.

Also, I've realised a cool thing you can do with boomerang birds to turn them into a limited version of yellow birds. Just shoot them backwards and boomerang them straight away. Powerful.
I've been pretty much the same. Went off for a while and now trying to three star it. Worlds 1 and 2 complete and most of world 3 done but world 4 is nearly impossible to get even 2 stars on some of the levels. Should there be a fifth world though or is it a downloadable extra or something? I have the PS3 version.

And nice tip for the boomerang bird Jon. Cheers.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yup, I had great fun throwing the boomerang birds backwards. I discovered it for myself BEFORE you get to the golden egg that (I believe) REQUIRES you to use this tactic. (potential spoiler, though one I thought you'd have picked up having seen all the levels.)

Another useful tip that I had to use to 3-star a couple of the largely-boomeran (boomerang + toucan) levels is to throw them as high as you can, then set them spinning as late as possible such that they hit the architecture as directly-downwards as they can, which is a direction they ain't usually gonna be travellin' in.

Anyway, glad you're 3-starring shit up now. Good for you. It really is enjoyable, as much as anything to have an excuse to HAVE to play plenty of levels several more times. Even Heather is 3-starring shit these days. I love watching her, especially cos I get 3 kisses every time she does one.

I think I have all the golden eggs collected and completed - note, be prepared for some which are just ridiculous (for PC version anyway) and you'll have to look up how to complete them - but each golden eggs guide on the net seems to be a bit different.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah I have no intention of finding the eggs myself. Also I have been doing some 3*ing and it is SO boring trying to break that last bit of wood twenty times or something. Want more levels!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Angry Birds has instilled in me a deep hatred of triangles. Why do they have to be so structurally strong?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Mark James wrote:Angry Birds has instilled in me a deep hatred of triangles. Why do they have to be so structurally strong?
A triangle is the shape with the least sides of which an angle is defined by two others, or summat. More mathsy people, feel free to correct me.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

New levels :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I hope they do something for PC ffs.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Just obsessed right now. 3*ed the St. Patrick's Day levels and the Valentine's day ones. I think the only Golden Eggs I have left are the ones for 3*ing Trick or Treat and Season's Greedings on Seasons and the ones for Poached Eggs, Mighty Hoax, Danger Above, Big Setup and Ham 'Em High.

Saying that, I'm only missing four golden eggs from the main game, despite not 3*ing five sections. So which section do I not get a golden egg for 3*ing?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oh yeah, obviously Ham 'Em High as there are fifteen locked levels or something.

Also my girlfriend is majorly fucked off at me playing Angry Birds all day. Definitely not as addicted as me any more. Women, eh?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Angry Birds Rio out on PC now. YES!! More 3 stars to get... been a long wait.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Also Andy Roddick's post-match interview was funny today...Angry Birds got a mention.

Interviewer: What were you doing during the rain delay?
Roddick: Playing Angry Birds
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

To add a bit of balance, I downloaded this on my bird's phone, and I can't see what the fuss is about. I haven't really played it much yet, but as far as I can tell it's just kinda randomly lobbing stuff and seeing what happens. There seems to be no logic to what actually kills the pigs, or particularly how stuff reacts to impact. Do people honestly sit and study a level to work out a solution, like you would with say Lemmings, rather than just buzzing stuff around willy-nilly? Seems fucking shite to me, but then I am old.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:To add a bit of balance, I downloaded this on my bird's phone, and I can't see what the fuss is about. I haven't really played it much yet, but as far as I can tell it's just kinda randomly lobbing stuff and seeing what happens. There seems to be no logic to what actually kills the pigs, or particularly how stuff reacts to impact. Do people honestly sit and study a level to work out a solution, like you would with say Lemmings, rather than just buzzing stuff around willy-nilly? Seems fucking shite to me, but then I am old.
I can give you some idea of why it's fun for me, although there's nothing objective to that obviously. First of all, playing with physics is automatically fun for a lot of people. Humans have a good intuition for ballistics and so forth and the game does a pretty good simulation of that, so it's really satisfying when you knock out the lowest piece of a tower and the whole thing crumbles, or you just about chip a bird over a ledge and cause a chain reaction. Second, yes, if you want to get the hardest levels or the 3-star rating then you need to work stuff out. That facet of the game gets a lot more interesting as they introduce different types of birds, new level elements (like explosives) and so on. There's still an element of luck, of course, and plenty of unpredictability (which is all part of the fun), but there's a definite skill element that you can improve with practice. Thirdly the game is attractive, cutely animated and has sweet sound effects which make it quite soothing to play if you have a few minutes to kill. Fourthly the difficulty curve is quite well pitched (at least for me), so that you never get stuck for too long on the same thing, and there are multiple paths through the game so there's always something to be working on.

I haven't played it for a while but I did play it quite a bit for a few weeks and, for a game that's basically free, that seems like a good deal to me. I'd be interested to hear from people who took it to a much higher level than me and got all/most of the 3-stars.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Shite.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

ive got angry birds now. its awesome - id rate it 4.77639111 out of 5.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Soph K wrote:ive got angry birds now. its awesome - id rate it 4.77639111 out of 5.
It's a 5/5 for me. What part of the game did you not like that made you deduct the 0.22360889?
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:
Soph K wrote:ive got angry birds now. its awesome - id rate it 4.77639111 out of 5.
It's a 5/5 for me. What part of the game did you not like that made you deduct the 0.22360889?
sometimes it takes ages to complete if its a hard level. but thats partly good - its challenging but not too hard.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Loving the one per day release of the new Angry Birds Seasons levels on Android. Tough levels are tough.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Played this for the first time the other day on my brother's iPad. Good game :)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Got this for James as an anniversary present. Angry Birds in real life! Great fun!

Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Finally got round to downloading this yesterday, and it is extremely good. However I am pretty rubbish at it.