Horrible Histories

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Horrible Histories

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Just last week Horrible Histories on the BBC became the first children's show to win a British Comedy Award. Having only ever seen a small bit of it once before I recalled that I did actually find it funny and I've just been watching today and again it was equally funny! I don't know if it would be as funny for the intended audience but some of the stuff is sure to make you laugh. (I hope). There was just a great sketch done with Cleopatra and Mark Antony. So yeah, this thread is just to draw your attention to a pretty good sketch show in the slot when kids should be watching the TV after coming home from school and also discuss any sketches you liked from it. The books were pretty good too when I was little and they seemed to be everywhere.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Horrible Histories

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I don't like it because they've only got 5 actors.

But the "4 Georges" sketch is good as well as the George IV one.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Horrible Histories is epic.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Well that's good that I've got the kids on my side.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Just last week Horrible Histories on the BBC became the first children's show to win a British Comedy Award. Having only ever seen a small bit of it once before I recalled that I did actually find it funny and I've just been watching today and again it was equally funny! I don't know if it would be as funny for the intended audience but some of the stuff is sure to make you laugh. (I hope). There was just a great sketch done with Cleopatra and Mark Antony. So yeah, this thread is just to draw your attention to a pretty good sketch show in the slot when kids should be watching the TV after coming home from school and also discuss any sketches you liked from it. The books were pretty good too when I was little and they seemed to be everywhere.
I really like Horrible Histories, it's funny and also has facts in at the same time. What's not to like about it?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I think everyone had the Horrible History books when they were at school (presuming they're my age). I still consult my Horrible Histories book of Kings and Queens when I want to brush up on my medieval history (why I don't use Measly middle ages I can't explain).

Anyway, I agree. The TV show is excellent. I discovered it while I was unemployed. I couldn't believe they have such a good cast. Steve Punt is on it! One of my favourites is the weather forecast man. I couldn't find his explanation of the crusades, so instead here's the viking report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAZzSow5Uc
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Martin Bishop wrote:I think everyone had the Horrible History books when they were at school (presuming they're my age). I still consult my Horrible Histories book of Kings and Queens when I want to brush up on my medieval history (why I don't use Measly middle ages I can't explain).

Anyway, I agree. The TV show is excellent. I discovered it while I was unemployed. I couldn't believe they have such a good cast. Steve Punt is on it! One of my favourites is the weather forecast man. I couldn't find his explanation of the crusades, so instead here's the viking report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MAZzSow5Uc
Oh right.
Well, I think watching it on television is better because you don't exactly have to concentrate as much, and it doesn't take as long. The books are fine, though. Just prefer watching it on the television, that's all.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I don't like it because they've only got 5 actors.

But the "4 Georges" sketch is good as well as the George IV one.
What's wrong with only having 5 actors?
It can be pretty gross at times, as once I was watching it while I was eating lunch and I felt really sick!
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

"1066 and All That" for the computer age. :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah I've been drawn into this a few times. Pretty good. And obv I had all the books, they're on my shelf right now, I'm looking at them as I type this (I can type without looking).

A lot of them seem to have gone missing actually.

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Horrible Histories is by far the best kids show on TV. Can't remember the specific scheduling time but sometimes it's on at 4.30-5.00 so it's a highly chucklesome space filler between Countdown and The Chase, and perfect for kids my age. I liked the mock-up film trailer sketch they did a few days ago about the life of Nero.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Yeah I've been drawn into this a few times. Pretty good. And obv I had all the books, they're on my shelf right now, I'm looking at them as I type this (I can type without looking).

A lot of them seem to have gone missing actually.
Your shelves continue to impress me.
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Horrible Histories is by far the best kids show on TV. Can't remember the specific scheduling time but sometimes it's on at 4.30-5.00 so it's a highly chucklesome space filler between Countdown and The Chase, and perfect for kids my age. I liked the mock-up film trailer sketch they did a few days ago about the life of Nero.
And yeah it was on at half 4 today so I'm going to start watching them as this was only the second time I'd seen it.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Had all the books as a kid, but never actually seen the TV show. Might start watching it as I loved the books.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'm the other way round - I'd never had the books but Kellogg's were giving away DVDs for a while (and we get through a lot of cereal) so I saw them like that, with much Kellogg's advertising at the start. I do remember they were bloody funny - particularly liked the Terrible Tudors- before they got swiped by my BIL for the kids he teaches. This thread has now given me an overwhelming urge to eat Rice Krispies, so the advertising worked too :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

This is my favourite history show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_DsL1x1uY
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

At the moment on the CBBC channel there's a Horrible Histories marathon on. Also new episodes of Horrible Histories starts tonight on CBBC all this week. If you haven't watched it then maybe just give it a try? It is funny and educational, the best type of programme.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Yeah. My brother's insisting on watching it all day! The advert for "Horrible Hero"
I'm doing this for my father who passed away...
...when I sacrificed him.
is all right.

However some of it has been known to be incorrect. In fact the BBC apologised on the matter. Elizabeth I only cut off the heads of Catholic plotters.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Horrible Histories books are the only things that stop me dying from boredom when I can't get to sleep at like 1 o'clock (I'm an insomniac)
cheers maus
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Switched my TV on and just by chance Horrible Histories was just starting. One that I hadn't seen before and it was just as awesome as I remembered.

Favourite sketches are the Stupid Deaths ones. Check a few of them out on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbeozXrw4E4
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

They were published two years after I dropped history at school. Shame! Then again, I still love history, just not the way it's taught...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

This show's great. One of the guys on our school quiz team loves it and it's helped us out more than once.