Countdowners with Microwaves

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Countdowners with Microwaves

Post by Joseph Krol »

This is a thread for the forumites to talk about microwaves, be them kitchen appliances or radiation.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Countdowners with Microwaves

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Seriously wtf? However, I have an old microwave at home (maybe over 20 years old now) and it is the best thing ever. It has like the full numbers display and everything so it's really easy to use unlike these modern things that just have a spinning thing which confuses the fuck out of me. I've already been through 2 microwaves in the student house both equally shit. I put some beans in once and then they came out cold even though I thought I'd used the thing right. Perhaps I was just being retarded but there is no way that that would have happened with the retro one at home. It's a Sharp.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Phil Reynolds once posted the multiple of time at which to set the microwave so that the cup handle was always pointing at you when you opened the door - the most useful posting on this forum ever!

For my microwave he was about a second out, but I don't hold it against him!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hah! Brilliant. We had a sharp at home for years as well. Can't remember what it looked like though. It was always my favourite appliance though, just because it was a sharp and because the sharp logo was a symbol of all that was great about football back then

Pity about our candy washing machine but you can't have it all.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I once put a cup of instant coffee in a microwave and went back in time.
Really.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Joseph Krol wrote:This is a thread for the forumites to talk about microwaves, be them kitchen appliances or radiation.
What a 300th post.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I have a 600W Philips, given by my employers to commemorate 20 years' service 25 years ago :|
Controls are simple - knobs to select Defrost, 200, 400 or 600W, and timer 0(1)10(10)60 - no digital display :? There's no turntable, but I've never noticed uneven cooking, though if a recipe suggests a halfway break I do turn the dish ;)
Only problem I've ever had was that years ago the window in the door fell out, so had to fix it back with parcel tape - probably radiation shielding is not too good, so I keep out of kitchen while it's on :shock:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Peter Mabey wrote:I have a 600W Philips, given by my employers to commemorate 20 years' service 25 years ago :|
Controls are simple - knobs to select Defrost, 200, 400 or 600W, and timer 0(1)10(10)60 - no digital display :? There's no turntable, but I've never noticed uneven cooking, though if a recipe suggests a halfway break I do turn the dish ;)
Only problem I've ever had was that years ago the window in the door fell out, so had to fix it back with parcel tape - probably radiation shielding is not too good, so I keep out of kitchen while it's on :shock:
Top post.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Our DAB radio suffers from interference when the microwave is on - do you think it's time it was chucked?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Our DAB radio suffers from interference when the microwave is on - do you think it's time it was chucked?
The DAB radio? Too right. It uses far too much power.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

When I hold my phone (while it's on the internet) next to the bus radio thingy it goes all staticky and it's well cool. The driver gets annoyed though.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Random... Flippin 'eck! Why dont you post something like... I dunno. Something that has reason. Lol rofl roflmao lol
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Andy Wilson wrote:Hah! Brilliant. We had a sharp at home for years as well. Can't remember what it looked like though. It was always my favourite appliance though, just because it was a sharp and because the sharp logo was a symbol of all that was great about football back then

Pity about our candy washing machine but you can't have it all.
Fecking hell. I remember having this strip; didn't it last for two years tops?