What the hell?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: What the hell?

Post by Ben Hunter »

Marc Meakin wrote:Always a vbit slow on the uptake, I JUST READ ALL YOUR PRIVATE POSTS ABOUT ME.
I think a ginger cull is in order (oh and ginger ass licker Jon Corby) oh and Ben, apropos to nothing in particular have you ever picked your teeth up from the floor with broken fingers?
Anyway, I FEEL LIKE i have been savaged by a herd of sheep.
I will also make it my personal goal to get Apterous close down for copywrite infringement.
Oh and Charlie boy, could I HAVE MY £15 OR PART THEREOF BACK AS i am sure you dont want 'cunts' like me polluting your beloved Countdown clone.
Mind you if everyone of you pathetic wankers (probably sums most of your sex lives up succinctly) foe me you won't have to read it.

Jono I'm goona kill you last.
Oh and in case anyone is wondering why ive gone radio rental see here http://www.gandiseeg.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1081
Marc Meakin wrote:oh and Ben, apropos to nothing in particular have you ever picked your teeth up from the floor with broken fingers?
I think this sums my sex life up succinctly.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

This may or may not amuse you
http://www.gandiseeg.com/viewtopic.php? ... 3977#p3977
Btw Kirk is a top bloke.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Michael Wallace wrote:I'm curious. Of the various offended parties, would you feel differently if what had been said had been said amongst the same group of friends in a pub, secretly recorded and the transcripts uploaded to the Internet? How about a private conversation between you and your partner, where you've complained about some irritating colleague? I'm genuinely interested to know whether it makes a difference, and if so, why.

(In case it wasn't obvious, it would make no difference to me, and I wouldn't be surprised (or offended) to find people had been insulting me behind my back - I'm sure it has, and will continue, to happen.)
I don't think so. But if I'm honest I think the fact it was an exclusive forum does sting a bit (a lot) when you felt like part of the "community" for a long time. Maybe like Charlie said it's silly to think like that since it's only a bunch of friends talking but it does make the forum seem like a mockery and make you feel excluded. I'd be a little surprised if anyone not part of it would still want to post or share anything personal on here because you know there are people waiting to make fun of you. It almost feels like a betrayal. I know you might think this is an extreme reaction and I'm aware you might all be saying I'm a cunt or whatever but my reaction is only a credit to how much I liked some of you.

I know maybe your reply, Michael, is only to get more responses to mock and laugh at but thought I'd reply anyway...I understand irrational dislike for people, sometimes you find things annoying about people. I know I'd mention to others that I didn't like a person and why. But I wouldn't dwell on it or add someone on Facebook just so I can make fun of them. I wouldn't want to be personally insulting or anything. Like I said before nobody can be nice all the time but I read a little bit more of that forum and some of the stuff is just plain nasty. Also the whole privacy argument is a bit strange considering you were happy to exchange people's private messages.

It feels like I won't be able to say anything that won't involve you guys continuing to laugh at this and I know I'll probably be ripped to shreds for posting this. Like I said it bothers me a hell of a lot and makes me sad. You say you wouldn't be surprised if people said things like that behind your back. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you. Maybe I'm a bit naive when it comes to social situations. Maybe I was a bit naive to consider some of you friends.

The worst thing is I know this will just be laughed at.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think another poll should be made (not me this time cos im fed up with Charlie refusing me to vote, free speech my arse,) as to whether all inner RECTUM, i mean sanctum should be made available.
IF ONLY SO I DON'T FEEL LIKE THE ONLY ONE BEING MOCKED ETC.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Post edited.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Marc Meakin wrote:I think another poll should be made (not me this time cos im fed up with Charlie refusing me to vote, free speech my arse,) as to whether all inner RECTUM, i mean sanctum should be made available.
Please bugger off and take your stupid poles with you.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Jimmy Gough wrote: It feels like I won't be able to say anything that won't involve you guys continuing to laugh at this and I know I'll probably be ripped to shreds for posting this. Like I said it bothers me a hell of a lot and makes me sad. You say you wouldn't be surprised if people said things like that behind your back. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you. Maybe I'm a bit naive when it comes to social situations. Maybe I was a bit naive to consider some of you friends.

I don't think anybody is going to have a problem with you posting this, I respect it, anybody who doesn't is a prick.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

JackHurst wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:I think another poll should be made (not me this time cos im fed up with Charlie refusing me to vote, free speech my arse,) as to whether all inner RECTUM, i mean sanctum should be made available.
Which one are you again, tweedle dum or tweedle dee.
I have written a nice letter to your mother about you hope she likes it and that strange powder, oh its Anthrax
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:
JackHurst wrote:
Which one are you again, tweedle dum or tweedle dee.
I have written a nice letter to your mother about you hope she likes it and that strange powder, oh its Anthrax
I think sending death threats to people in private messages might be morally a little worse than bitching in a private forum. Just stop.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

So Marc, am I right in thinking your new prerogative is to send people death threats disguised as shitty jokes instead of posting just shitty jokes on the forum?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JackHurst wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote: It feels like I won't be able to say anything that won't involve you guys continuing to laugh at this and I know I'll probably be ripped to shreds for posting this. Like I said it bothers me a hell of a lot and makes me sad. You say you wouldn't be surprised if people said things like that behind your back. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you. Maybe I'm a bit naive when it comes to social situations. Maybe I was a bit naive to consider some of you friends.

I don't think anybody is going to have a problem with you posting this, I respect it, anybody who doesn't is a prick.
Yeah, that's fine. FWIW Jimmy, I don't think anybody ever said anything bad about you in there. In fact, I think I did start a thread about you, but to say that I found something really funny that you wrote (where you basically cut Phil Reynolds dead in a single line about his website being a load of shit). I'm actually not sure how you reconcile that with your "why can't people be nice to each other all the time?" stance, but maybe you think all such things should be posted in public rather than said in private. If so, I can't really agree.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jono said (with a straight face) I think sending death threats to people in private messages might be morally a little worse than bitching in a private forum. Just stop.
Oh and discussing a PM publically is right because....................oh yeah your shit scared.
They don't like it up em
You can give it but you can't take it (as raccoon boy said to CF)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:Jono said (with a straight face) I think sending death threats to people in private messages might be morally a little worse than bitching in a private forum. Just stop.

They don't like it up em
I told you to stop for your own benefit. It's embarrassing.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Jono said (with a straight face) I think sending death threats to people in private messages might be morally a little worse than bitching in a private forum. Just stop.

They don't like it up em
Like I said shit scared.
And you mean to tell me your not in the least bit embarrassed and hey, a little apologetic maybe for the shit you've given Chris, let alone my girlfriend.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I don't hate you Ryan.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:

They don't like it up em
Like I said shit scared.
And you mean to tell me your not in the least bit embarrassed and hey, a little apologetic maybe for the shit you've given Chris, let alone my girlfriend.
I'm embarrassed about a few things I've said on the Sanctum about people I actually like. As for you, read what Jon Corby said about boats in the other thread. I've never had a problem with Chris so anything I've said about him falls into the category of knockabout Sanctum banter, of which there was a lot.

The fact I'm even replying to you after the PMs you sent me shows that I'm not exactly proud of my contributions to the Sanctum. But you need to get a sense of scale. Someone said something behind your back so you threatened to kill them. Get a fucking grip.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Right I WILL SPELL IT OUT TO YOU,JONO, EITHER APOLOGISE ON HERE OR PM OR EMAIL ME.
oR COME AND MEET ME AND SAY TO MY FACE WHAT YOU'VE SAID ABOUT ME IN SANCTUM OR I WILL DEFO (IE NOT A THREAT) DO YOU SOME DAMAGE (YEAH I LOOK A BIT LIKE PHIL MITCHELL TOO.) CAPICE
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:I WILL DEFO (IE NOT A THREAT) DO YOU SOME DAMAGE
That's the very definition of a threat.

It's also very much illegal. If I was Jono I would seriously be printing it off and taking it to the police station. Honestly.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jimmy Gough wrote:I know maybe your reply, Michael, is only to get more responses to mock and laugh at but thought I'd reply anyway...
Nope, I'm genuinely interested to know why people are reacting so differently to how I have reacted to similar things in the past.
Jimmy Gough wrote:I understand irrational dislike for people, sometimes you find things annoying about people. I know I'd mention to others that I didn't like a person and why. But I wouldn't dwell on it or add someone on Facebook just so I can make fun of them.
I dunno about the Facebook thing, I don't think I'd do that, but with regards to 'dwelling' on it or whatever, almost all of the posts in there (and bear in mind you're seeing a distillation of, like, two *years* of conversation) will have been made as an immediate reaction to someone being annoying or whatever on the main forum. It's the same as MSNing someone. If you took those conversations and instead replayed them as a group of people having a Friday night conversation in a pub, how many hours would that take? And how many hours across 2 years would that be?
Jimmy Gough wrote:It feels like I won't be able to say anything that won't involve you guys continuing to laugh at this and I know I'll probably be ripped to shreds for posting this.
Don't think so - you're making a coherent set of points.
Jimmy Gough wrote:Like I said it bothers me a hell of a lot and makes me sad. You say you wouldn't be surprised if people said things like that behind your back. Maybe it isn't a big deal to you. Maybe I'm a bit naive when it comes to social situations. Maybe I was a bit naive to consider some of you friends.
I don't know about the others, but I don't think I've talked about anyone in there who I thought considered me their friend. More to the point, you've said yourself that you'd mention to others that you didn't like a person and why, so is it really that different?

Edited to fix epic quote fail.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:

It's also very much illegal. If I was Jono I would seriously be printing it off and taking it to the police station. Honestly.
wHAT ABOUT DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER THEN
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

wHAT ABOUT DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER THEN
The publishing website is the one you want to talk to. This is why forums ban troublesome members, because the buck does stop with them. Talk to Charlie if there's anything that upsets you on here, but I'd imagine your main beef lies with Brittain.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Marc Meakin wrote: wHAT ABOUT DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER THEN
Defamation of a person is such if it lowers general publics opinion of somebody, where the general public is regarded as being your average normal person. Most of the people on this forum are not your average normal person, and more importantly, I doubt this has changed anyones opinion on you.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Chris Davies wrote:...I always suspected certain people of hating or disliking me, but others (Kirk, Ryan, Dinos) have really surprised me. I liked all of you, and am genuinely disappointed.
This surprised me at first as I couldn't remember saying a bad thing about Chris. I PM'd him about it to which he quoted the offending post. My heart physically sank. I can't believe I'm capable of such malice about someone that I had no particular problem with, someone that I've spent time with and actually quite like. It also surprised me that I could post something so cut-throat and then completely forget about it. It's so easy to get swept up in the vitriol of the Sanctum and (like Ryan and Jono said) post stuff for shock factor just because they're the flavour of the month and it will get a cheap laugh. I know it's no excuse for what I said (I won't repeat it here but if anyone wants to know what a vindictive bastard I can be just read the thread) but from the bottom of my heart I apologise, Chris. I probably don't deserve forgiveness for it but FWIW I want to stay friends.

The same goes for Sue Sanders. I did find her a bit brash and loud at first but I think she's a lovely person. We've texted loads and played Scrabble on facebook etc and I consider her a friend. When there was the falling out between the rival factions of c4c and gandiseeg I stuck up for her at first, but then it became easier to join in with the "in-crowd" and I laughed at her behind her back. Needless to say I'm deeply ashamed of myself. Sue, if you're reading this I'm sorry.

They're the only incidences I can think of where I've said bad stuff about people that I truly regret, but given that I completely forgot what I'd said about Chris there might be others (although I doubt it)
FWIW I like most people on the forum. In fact I think the most-part of you are all really great people and I hope you won't think any less of me for being in a secret club.

...There are however 3 people who I despise with a great passion. One is RB, the second no longer posts here so I shan't upset the apple cart on that one, the 3rd is Marc Merkin who has the social maturity, emotional capacity and intellectual humour of a dried turd. Do yourself a favour and shut up.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

wat
Last edited by Ben Hunter on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I'd agree with what Dinos has posted above and I think anyone with half a brain would see that. Marc Meakin on the other hand is a different matter and I genuinely dislike you as much as you dislike me. Reading your outbursts this morning, and the PM threats through facebook and on here I felt embarrassed for you. That is my last say on the whole issue of The Sanctum. I regret comments said about people who I genuinely like but regarding someone like you Marc, I meant every single word.
Ian Dent wrote:I don't hate you Ryan.
Then I guess I like you as this was my paranoia problem!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Hmm dunno why people are that surprised really.

You'll get cliques on most forums, which do cliquey things. Expecting 'nice people' to have class is leaving yourself open to disappointment - let alone for them to be nice people when it really comes down to it. I foe'd a couple of people already on here because they're just typical nice sociable folk, up until they took a free shot at being vindictive (I don't mean jokey stuff). Human beings seem to think that you can judge others almost entirely by social interaction. Which is particularly funny when you've got more intelligent and complex people, as on here.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Less of this surrender talk, there's a war on between the clique and the riff raff, and this is the final push.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

I hardly know where to start.

First off, let me say that I've got no axe to grind here. Looking through RB's posts on the Sanctum, the worst mention I found of myself was somebody agreeing that I was boring. Fair comment. I am. Secondly, I don't agree with what he did, nor the manner in which he did it. I don't like him or his racist views. And lastly, I do understand that none of this was ever meant for public consumption. Having said all that.......

What got me hooked on this forum in the beginning was the odd mix of personalities. I've not seen another one that held my interest for more than a week or two. Almost every day I was guaranteed a good laugh (usually one of Damo's witty but withering put-downs, or Charlie in "Dude" mode). I liked KC's puzzles even though most of them went over my head. Sue flitting from topic to topic like a butterfly then sticking a whomping great size seven in somewhere. Sir Jon charging about on his high horse , tilting at windbags. James's enthusiam for all things Countdown. Jason. Jury is still out on Jason. Phils pedantry, (not sure if I've got the comma in the right place there, or even if there's supposed to be one.) Later on there were Marcs one-liners. Dereks worse ones. Raccoon Boy and his ever-changing avatars. Kirks incredible word knowledge. The daily Spoilers thread. Ryans Recaps. You guys might not have liked some of those. I did.

It wasn't all sweetness and light, though. Matthew Green worried me immensely (I was only half-joking when I begged him to get help), although in hindsight maybe there was a reason for his constant references to paedophilia.
What happened to Julie T was cruel, and I'm sorry that I didn't speak up at the time. Probably wouldn't have made any difference, except to add me to the shit list. Clare Sudbery, can't really comment on that, most of it was before I joined. Sue and Derek, I could never figure out what set all that off. I could see where Damian was coming from with regard to some personal comments made about contestants in the spoilers thread. I think that was the first thing that pissed him off.

Maybe clashes were inevitable anyway, given such a wide range personalities. But it's pretty obvious that the existence of the Sanctum fuelled the flames. (pun intended) I realise that any internet forum needs a separate section for moderators, where they can discuss matters relating to the running of the site, but you've got one of those already.

It's your site, Charlie. I can't tell you how to run it. But I'll ask (not demand) that you disband the Sanctum. I'll take your word for it if you do. This isn't a flounce. I'll carry on posting my own little Meakinesque puns, and beaters in the spoilers thread, either way. Or on any other topic that grabs my interest. I still like this place, despite everything that's been said. I think maybe the idea of the Sanctum just brought out the worst in people. I'd just feel more comfortable knowing that it's gone.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

There seems to be a recurring misapprehension that if you weren't in The Sanctum, you were getting badly ripped on by those in The Sanctum, and that really isn't the case. This seems to have led to innocuous posters like Jimmy and Liam worrying about what has been said about them, and making bizarre pleas for people not to talk about them behind their backs. Ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid. If Charlie closes down the Sanctum (which he won't), people will still talk on msn about people, or some other way. And they'll naturally find the most convenient way to do so. Which is having a private area on here.

I don't doubt for a second that plenty of people have ripped on me behind my back. Unless it's somebody's opinion I particularly care about, I couldn't give a fuck. They've probably misunderstood me, or they're just a twat and not my kind of person. Meh.

If you behave like a dick, don't be surprised if people say "what a dick" behind your back. Yeah, there are a few people who took a bit of a pounding behind closed doors, but there's way more where somebody would say "I'm not sure about [x], I find him annoying", and people say "yeah, that is a bit annoying I guess, but he seems like a sound guy".

It's not the case where we'd just go "so, [x], he isn't in The Sanctum" and everyone goes "yeah, he's a cunt".
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Fair enough to the replies. I suppose most of it was more stupid than malicious. Sry if I came across as too much of a judgemental whiny bitch but yeah some of the stuff surprised me. Probably best forgotten though, we all do and say dumb things. I'd still be surprised if people wanted to be part of the forum but whatever.

c4c is serious business ldo

Oh and in case it wasn't obvious I hate you all. I'm going to start a new forum with Innis. You have to be cool to join, soz.
Last edited by Jimmy Gough on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Chris Davies wrote:...I always suspected certain people of hating or disliking me, but others (Kirk, Ryan, Dinos) have really surprised me. I liked all of you, and am genuinely disappointed.
This surprised me at first as I couldn't remember saying a bad thing about Chris. I PM'd him about it to which he quoted the offending post. My heart physically sank. I can't believe I'm capable of such malice about someone that I had no particular problem with, someone that I've spent time with and actually quite like. It also surprised me that I could post something so cut-throat and then completely forget about it. It's so easy to get swept up in the vitriol of the Sanctum and (like Ryan and Jono said) post stuff for shock factor just because they're the flavour of the month and it will get a cheap laugh. I know it's no excuse for what I said (I won't repeat it here but if anyone wants to know what a vindictive bastard I can be just read the thread) but from the bottom of my heart I apologise, Chris. I probably don't deserve forgiveness for it but FWIW I want to stay friends.
Who's this merkin fellow sounds like a right cunt oh and a fat padophile.
oi bubble, what HAVE i done exactly to rattle youir cage i haven't once said your girlfriends ugly (don't need to really) or that you look like a hermaphrodite.
So but out and and drink some K9P

The same goes for Sue Sanders. I did find her a bit brash and loud at first but I think she's a lovely person. We've texted loads and played Scrabble on facebook etc and I consider her a friend. When there was the falling out between the rival factions of c4c and gandiseeg I stuck up for her at first, but then it became easier to join in with the "in-crowd" and I laughed at her behind her back. Needless to say I'm deeply ashamed of myself. Sue, if you're reading this I'm sorry.

They're the only incidences I can think of where I've said bad stuff about people that I truly regret, but given that I completely forgot what I'd said about Chris there might be others (although I doubt it)
FWIW I like most people on the forum. In fact I think the most-part of you are all really great people and I hope you won't think any less of me for being in a secret club.

...There are however 3 people who I despise with a great passion. One is RB, the second no longer posts here so I shan't upset the apple cart on that one, the 3rd is Marc Merkin who has the social maturity, emotional capacity and intellectual humour of a dried turd. Do yourself a favour and shut up.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Some good quoting skills there.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:

Who's this merkin fellow sounds like a right cunt oh and a fat padophile.
oi bubble, what HAVE i done exactly to rattle youir cage i haven't once said your girlfriends ugly (don't need to really) or that you look like a hermaphrodite.
So but out and and drink some K9P
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I'd agree with what Dinos has posted above and I think anyone with half a brain would see that. Marc Meakin on the other hand is a different matter and I genuinely dislike you as much as you dislike me. Reading your outbursts this morning, and the PM threats through facebook and on here I felt embarrassed for you. That is my last say on the whole issue of The Sanctum. I regret comments said about people who I genuinely like but regarding someone like you Marc, I meant every single word.
Ian Dent wrote:I don't hate you Ryan.
Then I guess I like you as this was my paranoia problem!
sO YOU STAND BY YOUR FAT PAEDOPHILE COMMENT.
This is defamation of character
iF i honestly thought sueing your arse or getting you banned by the moderator (btw when did he last moderate) would come to fruition i would so i'll just wait until we meet and WE WILL and you can repeat it and I'LL BRING MY STEP LADDER AND KNOCK YOU SPARK OUT
DAMN caps lock
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Points for comedy weapon. Can't imagine anything more unwieldy than a stepladder.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Marc, please stop threatening people, its making you look really bad, and quite frankly its an unnecessary overreaction.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Are you totally cool with making fun of children on private forums behind their back then Matt? Awesome. Sick life brah.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie deserves some credit for getting the invitations virtually spot on anyway, since nobody ran off screaming and vomiting on entering The Sanctum, yet everyone (with one or two exceptions so far) who wasn't in it finds the whole idea utterly abhorrent, and clearly wouldn't have wanted to be any part of it.

So well done for that.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Lol
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Are you totally cool with making fun of children on private forums behind their back then Matt? Awesome. Sick life brah.
That pisses me off Jimmy, I fucking love you, don't start on that. How about you just ask me privately what I meant by a certain comment rather than accuse me of that bullshit?
I presume you're talking about Oli and I've already cleared up what I meant with him privately. I'm not looking for brownie points by making my apologies public, so don't be so short sighted to think they don't fucking exist.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

On reflection, this is all so very childish. Especially you Marc, perhaps you should have a nice cup of tea.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I can understand you being pissed though.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

So, how many people got death threats from Meakin?

Mine had a reference to auto-erotic asphyxiation: I don't think he just wants to kill me.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I was also surprised/disappointed to see my name listed amongst Chris' list of people who he was surprised about who disliked him. I duly went back to read what I'd said about Chris and I realise that, as Jono says, in the Sanctum you tend to just reply with a witty comment to get some laughs/likes even though you may not agree with what's being said. Also, I might add that I've said stuff to people's faces (and still do) that takes the piss out of them but I still like them. Chris, I have nothing against you whatsoever. You know I like you and we also have nice chats on apterous and when we met in real life. Don't take things personally, buddy. I know it's hard, and I do too, but I'd imagine these people are saying this stuff for laughs rather than actually hating you. If they do genuinely hate you, it's their problem, not yours. Stay happy folks.

Edit: I'm probably the most pissed off as I had my account hacked into, as well as my apterous account and email. Finding out about the Sanctum is one thing, but hacking my accounts isn't on.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think it would be funny to find out that there's actually an inner sanctum within the main sanctum that only the really special people get to join. Maybe in a bizarre twist, it's just Charlie and Richard Brittain.

I can actually quite understand how slagging people off behind their backs can get out of hand - me and a friend from work absolutely rip into some of our colleagues, but most of it is comic exaggeration.

But what I suppose is a little bit uncomfortable is that it isn't simply a case of Charlie setting up a forum for his friends - it's specifically his C4C friends and on the C4C forum (although you might argue that the URL is irrelevant) and does come across a little bit like saying "These are the best people on the forum".
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote: ...oh and ginger ass licker Jon Corby...
...(probably sums most of your sex lives up succinctly)...
oh and Ben, apropos to nothing in particular have you ever picked your teeth up from the floor with broken fingers?
Ben Hunter wrote:I think this sums my sex life up succinctly.
Ditto.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think it would be funny to find out that there's actually an inner sanctum within the main sanctum that only the really special people get to join. Maybe in a bizarre twist, it's just Charlie and Richard Brittain.
I'm sure of it. Does that bother me? No.
Gavin Chipper wrote:I can actually quite understand how slagging people off behind their backs can get out of hand - me and a friend from work absolutely rip into some of our colleagues, but most of it is comic exaggeration.
Exactly.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I can actually quite understand how slagging people off behind their backs can get out of hand - me and a friend from work absolutely rip into some of our colleagues, but most of it is comic exaggeration.
Exactly.
Yep, but then clearly not all of it is. People have opinions on other people so when private stuff becomes public this sort of thing will always happen, but inevitably people form opinions of people on the evidence available, whether it was intended to be evidence or not. Members of the sanctum can't expect no-one to draw any conclusions on the basis that the evidence wasn't meant to be seen (if that's what they're doing).
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Exactly.
Yep, but then clearly not all of it is. People have opinions on other people so when private stuff becomes public this sort of thing will always happen, but inevitably people form opinions of people on the evidence available, whether it was intended to be evidence or not. Members of the sanctum can't expect no-one to draw any conclusions on the basis that the evidence wasn't meant to be seen (if that's what they're doing).
You're right, very right.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:[...]in the Sanctum you tend to just reply with a witty comment[...]
:?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:n the C4C forum (although you might argue that the URL is irrelevant) and does come across a little bit like saying "These are the best people on the forum".
Well we all have a common interest, Countdown, and many of us have met through CO-events and are regulars at these events. We've formed a close friendship so why not invite your friends into such a forum?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:n the C4C forum (although you might argue that the URL is irrelevant) and does come across a little bit like saying "These are the best people on the forum".
Well we all have a common interest, Countdown, and many of us have met through CO-events and are regulars at these events. We've formed a close friendship so why not invite your friends into such a forum?
I think that's a hint that you're wanted at Colin, gevin.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Wow, dont think I've ever said anything bad about anyone on here. Mainly because I don't know them that well so it would never really be my place to comment on how they are or what they say. I'll open my account with this:

Lol, what a bunch of wankers.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
I think that's a hint that you're wanted at Colin, gevin.
Too right. Paypal address is in the announcement thread at the top. :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It mainly reminds of of the Letterbocks page in Viz (except without the line the can't be crossed), highly amusing, extremely offensive.

I clearly inhabit the netherworld between not being boring or knobbish enough to get slagged off and not being amusing enough to get invited in.

WHY IS NOBODY CALLING ME A CUNT?

Maybe it's because no-one's met me yet.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:I clearly inhabit the netherworld between not being boring or knobbish enough to get slagged off and not being amusing enough to get invited in.

You were one of the 'exceptions' I referred to above Ian, in that you haven't instantly thought "I'm not in there, they hate me", or that this secret group is against everybody else on the forum. It's bonkers. I'm sure everyone's always considered you a sound guy, but if that was all it took to get you in then we really do end up with a state of "these are the people Charlie likes, and the rest he doesn't". He's never met you, he can't be sure you'd have enjoyed it etc.

There also seems to be a worrying trend that we're kind of all getting lumped together as one group with a common consciousness, with a sole aim of pouring vitriol on other forummers. It's just a load of threads (over 200 in fact) like there is on this forum. I urge you to read Charlie's introduction. Also read Jono's thread where he implored people like me & Matt to start posting out in the main forum again, and we conceded he had a point (Damian picked up on this too) - I was doing the vast majority of posting in there, just because it was slightly easier for me, in that I was unlikely to get some knacker finding some joke offensive or whatever.

So you know, when you read the stuff, don't instantly think that everybody agrees with everything any more than you would do reading a thread on here. Don't instantly think that because you see your name mentioned (even if it's in a negative way) that it means everybody hates you. Try and have a little perspective.

Anwyay, I've said too much about The Sanctum now so I'll probably get killed off by the lizard people. Nice knowing you all.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

We should all go paintballing.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ha! Like! Bags being on Marc's team!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I clearly inhabit the netherworld between not being boring or knobbish enough to get slagged off and not being amusing enough to get invited in.

You were one of the 'exceptions' I referred to above Ian, in that you haven't instantly thought "I'm not in there, they hate me", or that this secret group is against everybody else on the forum. It's bonkers. I'm sure everyone's always considered you a sound guy, but if that was all it took to get you in then we really do end up with a state of "these are the people Charlie likes, and the rest he doesn't". He's never met you, he can't be sure you'd have enjoyed it etc.

There also seems to be a worrying trend that we're kind of all getting lumped together as one group with a common consciousness, with a sole aim of pouring vitriol on other forummers. It's just a load of threads (over 200 in fact) like there is on this forum. I urge you to read Charlie's introduction. Also read Jono's thread where he implored people like me & Matt to start posting out in the main forum again, and we conceded he had a point (Damian picked up on this too) - I was doing the vast majority of posting in there, just because it was slightly easier for me, in that I was unlikely to get some knacker finding some joke offensive or whatever.

So you know, when you read the stuff, don't instantly think that everybody agrees with everything any more than you would do reading a thread on here. Don't instantly think that because you see your name mentioned (even if it's in a negative way) that it means everybody hates you. Try and have a little perspective.

Anwyay, I've said too much about The Sanctum now so I'll probably get killed off by the lizard people. Nice knowing you all.
I meant to add that it reminds me quite strongly of the Letterbocks pages in Viz (or did I write that elsewhere, or dream that I did?), except without the legal worries :)

I think maybe if I was fifteen I would have had some sort of complex, but nobody's ever given me any shit on here that I at all thought was serious or offensive (in an offensive way anyway). I'm often amazed at how emotionally involved people get with this sort of place, it's like they didn't have any real friends or something :shock: :?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Ian V, imagine not having any real friends, and then not having any friends on here either. It would be terrible.