Royal Wedding

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
User avatar
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Tadworth, Surrey

Royal Wedding

Post by Martin Bishop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11765422

William and Kate (now Catherine) are finally going to tie the knot. Who's going to buy a mug?

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Howard Somerset » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Martin Bishop wrote:Who's going to buy a mug?
Not a chance!

Maybe they should be awarded as losers' prizes at forthcoming Co-events.

User avatar
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Tadworth, Surrey

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Martin Bishop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Howard Somerset wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:Who's going to buy a mug?
Not a chance!

Maybe they should be awarded as losers' prizes at forthcoming Co-events.
Well, I'm going to be buying about a dozen and probably a commemorative plate too, so I'll probably be able to spare one for you, Howard.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Michael Wallace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:12 pm

My parents had a Charles/Diana commemorative mug which for almost my entire childhood I thought was of them (as in, my parents) at their own wedding.

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:02 am
Location: UK

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Howard Somerset » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Martin Bishop wrote:... so I'll probably be able to spare one for you, Howard.
I'm touched, Martin. :)

I'm quite sure it would have more chance of outliving me than the one other commemorative mug that I've ever had - a coronation souvenir, one of which was given to all school kids in 1953.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9473
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Martin Bishop wrote: Well, I'm going to be buying about a dozen and probably a commemorative plate too
Is this C4Countdown's most oblique coming-out topic?

User avatar
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Tadworth, Surrey

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Martin Bishop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: Well, I'm going to be buying about a dozen and probably a commemorative plate too
Is this C4Countdown's most oblique coming-out topic?
Have you read the Eurovision thread?

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9473
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Martin Bishop wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: Well, I'm going to be buying about a dozen and probably a commemorative plate too
Is this C4Countdown's most oblique coming-out topic?
Have you read the Eurovision thread?
Nope. Am I behind the times here?

User avatar
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Tadworth, Surrey

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Martin Bishop » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Is this C4Countdown's most oblique coming-out topic?
Have you read the Eurovision thread?
Nope. Am I behind the times here?
No, it's just that loving Eurovision is generally considered gayer than loving a good royal wedding.

It's one of the many reasons for which people (wrongly) accuse me of being gay.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Michael Wallace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Martin Bishop wrote:It's one of the many reasons for which people (wrongly) accuse me of being gay.
Is anyone else now hoping they'll get married as our entry to next year's competition?

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9473
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Martin Bishop wrote: No, it's just that loving Eurovision is generally considered gayer than loving a good royal wedding.

It's one of the many reasons for which people (wrongly) accuse me of being gay.
Haha. I wasn't "accusing" you of anything, just trying to make sense of your inexplicable love for commerative crockery.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Michael Wallace » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: No, it's just that loving Eurovision is generally considered gayer than loving a good royal wedding.

It's one of the many reasons for which people (wrongly) accuse me of being gay.
Haha. I wasn't "accusing" you of anything, just trying to make sense of your inexplicable love for commerative cockery.
Fixt.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9473
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 pm


Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:follow-up story
Martin Bishop, the left-wing Labour MP for Gateshead Toilet

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Howard Somerset wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote:Who's going to buy a mug?
Not a chance!

Maybe they should be awarded as losers' prizes at forthcoming Co-events.
Like

Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Jeff Clayton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Howard Somerset wrote:Maybe they should be awarded as losers' prizes at forthcoming Co-events.
I reckon offering Kate Middleton as a losing prize will see an epic downturn in the Bevins' performance.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Royal Wedding

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:29 pm

My parents have unearthed a number of Charles/Diana wedding commemorative bottles of Coca-Cola. I shall see if I can get a photo of one.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Callum Todd and 11 guests