Free stuff!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Free stuff!

Post by Michael Wallace »

Now that this deceptive-but-not-technically-irrelevant subject title has got your attention. I want to hear about the best free stuff you've ever been sent by companies. It can be just random stuff they've sent you because you forgot to tick a box on a form, or it can be stuff they've sent you because you corrected their spelling/seem a bit mental.

I think my own highlights include:

1) Money from bus companies when they've been rubbish (I once had a bus driver ask me if I was unemployed, because he didn't recognise my disabled bus pass (Y)).
2) Free pizza! Our local Domino's accidentally put meat on a pizza, and when we complained they gave us a free pizza voucher. When we tried to use the voucher no-one knew how it worked, and they ended up trying to charge us some ostensibly completely made up number, so we complained again, and got MORE PIZZA. (I think they hate us now, though.)
3) Tea companies in general are quite good for some freebies. Presumably because the cost of a teabag is approximately nothing.
4) ????
5) Profit.

I went through a phase when I was about 15 of using free stuff forums to send off for loads of free stuff. There are presumably still loads around, but it didn't take me long to realise that as fun as getting 10 free jelly beans for being awake at 2am every day was (no, really), the novelty does tend to wear off a bit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Free stuff!

Post by Jon Corby »

I bought some kitchen towels once which had a free Mr Man magnet attached. It was stuck on the packet with sellotape, and when removed the sellotape. I sent them a stupid 2-page letter explaining my distress, and they sent me back the whole collection of magnets (not sellotaped) with a jokey apologetic letter. It made me :)

I'm about to do similar with a tax disc holder from Next, which I retardedly managed to cut my finger on when attempting to change the tax disc. If I worked in a customer complaints dept, I'd give the freebies to people who made me lol.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Technically still free although I did win them.

When Smile used to be on in a morning (you know, with Reggie Yates and Nev!!) they had a competition which you could enter free online. In essence you played along online picking up clues from the live show until you eventually found where Nev had buried his nugget of treasure. The first 10 people who submitted the answer won one of Nev's nuggets and you also got a Smile lucky bag too with other cool things in. Anyway, I entered this 3 times on consecutive Sunday mornings and won every time (bearing in mind I'm either playing against 5 year olds or the 5 year olds parents who aren't very quick at typing and hitting a submit button either). So after getting 3 free Smile lucky bags and 3 of Nev's nuggets I finally gave up as it got a bit boring and a little while after that Smile ceased to be produced. I may have made them bankrupt.

The highlight for me was seeing my name running along the bottom of the screen followed by my age. Amongst the 10 winners with names like "Amy, age 6 - Max, age 7 - Thomas, age 5" it read "Ryan Taylor - age 16". Man did I feel cool!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:The first 10 people who submitted the answer won one of Nev's nuggets and you also got a Smile lucky bag too with other cool things in.
Made me Smile (geddit?!) as an opening for something more... what was a 'Nev's nugget'? What were the 'cool things' in the Smile lucky bag? Maybe it was a handheld fan? Or some ice cubes! Tell us, tell us!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

This is amazing. I managed to dig out my Nev's nugget's and also some stuff I still have left. This is me "modelling" the array of stuff I got as best as I can.

From top to bottom:

Forehead: A Nev sticky note!
In mouth: A Nev Nugget! (reverse)
Right hand: My Smile bag (which I still use)
On t-shirt: Nev Nugget (obverse), a Smile sticker and 4 more sticky notes

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I once bought a bag of Revels with no coffee ones, which are my favourite. I wrote them a long letter explaining how I suspected this was the work of the Mafia controlling the Revels supply chain. They sent me a voucher for less than the cost of one bag. Fuckers.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:I once bought a bag of Revels with no coffee ones, which are my favourite. I wrote them a long letter explaining how I suspected this was the work of the Mafia controlling the Revels supply chain. They sent me a voucher for less than the cost of one bag. Fuckers.
What proportion of a bag is usually coffee ones, and what proportion of the cost of one bag was the voucher worth? (tell us, tell us, etc.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I once bought a bag of Revels with no coffee ones, which are my favourite. I wrote them a long letter explaining how I suspected this was the work of the Mafia controlling the Revels supply chain. They sent me a voucher for less than the cost of one bag. Fuckers.
What proportion of a bag is usually coffee ones, and what proportion of the cost of one bag was the voucher worth? (tell us, tell us, etc.)
Revels really annoy me as there are always lots and lots of the little toffee ones left which aren't actually too bad but there are just too many. Whereas like Charlie, I love the coffee ones but they never put many in a pack and just when you think you're onto a winner you bite in and discover it's orange instead. Bleurgh! Remember when they had that vote online to evict a revel? That was pretty cool.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've done quite a bit of this, and when I get back to Devon I'll try and attach some Word documents of some of the more comedy letters I've written. I fucking love it.

Some of the more memorable ones include:
  • At the bottom of a packet of Wotsits there was 'a wotsit' which was purely flavouring. But it was so jam packed solid that it was still a wotsit shape, so (fuck knows how they make wotsits but I'll guess) the crisp centre never made it into the mould and the mould must have just been filled with the flavouring powder that just goes on the edge. It was dark orange and stuck to your fingers when you picked it up. I returned it along with some nonsense bumph about "let down by the quality of the product that I trusted" etc. and they (Walkers, I think?) £3 of vouchers.
  • Shortly after that I got a bit of a taste for complaining to see what you could get away with. I got a small bag of Minstrels and in there was an absolute mess of a minstrel, like three or so minstrels fused into one minstrely mess. I wanted to eat it so fucking bad, it would have been delicious, but instead I sent it back to them (Galaxy, right?) in the packet and claimed that it reminded me of a stone ornament that my late great-grandmother used to have on her mantelpiece, and that seeing it had brought back lots of bad memories for me and ruined my day. The letter they wrote back started, no shit, with the line "we're concerned that you felt it necessary to complain", but they gave me £5 of Galaxy vouchers. Result.
  • Another favourite was after we discovered a mad love for Star Bars at university. We wrote a cool letter to Cadbury's informing them that by far their best bar was going hugely underappreciated by the masses. We lived on the road that led up to Exeter City's stadium so we told them that we'd be willing to use our front lounge window as advertising space for Star Bars - for the people, like - and in return said they could pay us in nothing more tangible than shit loads of Star Bars. They unfortunately refused on the grounds of some Advertising Act or other, but delighted in offering us £5 of Cadbury's vouchers.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Cool Matt. Thing is, there must be so many actually genuinely crazy people out there that our "tongue-in-cheek" letters probably don't stand out quite as much as jokes as we think they do.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Cool Matt. Thing is, there must be so many actually genuinely crazy people out there that our "tongue-in-cheek" letters probably don't stand out quite as much as jokes as we think they do.
On the other hand, sometimes I think they stick out too much. Case in point being last year when Co-Op had badly advertised which of the Quorn vegeburgers were included in an offer and which weren't. I wrote a comedy letter, but with the serious point of "hey this is genuinely confusing, can you change the advertising and maybe give me my money back?" and it got completely ignored, even after I sent it a second time.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I love the coffee ones but they never put many in a pack and just when you think you're onto a winner you bite in and discover it's orange instead. Bleurgh! Remember when they had that vote online to evict a revel? That was pretty cool.
I love(d) all the creams. Which one did they evict in the end? I remember the contest but not the result - I thought the fact they were doing it at all was pretty fucking appalling and went completely against the nature of revels in general.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I love the coffee ones but they never put many in a pack and just when you think you're onto a winner you bite in and discover it's orange instead. Bleurgh! Remember when they had that vote online to evict a revel? That was pretty cool.
I love(d) all the creams. Which one did they evict in the end? I remember the contest but not the result - I thought the fact they were doing it at all was pretty fucking appalling and went completely against the nature of revels in general.
I can't remember either. I remember the chocolate raisin ones when they became the newbie though and had in the back of my mind that it got evicted but can't say for definite that it did. Chocolate raisins are bloody disgusting.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
I can't remember either. I remember the chocolate raisin ones when they became the newbie though and had in the back of my mind that it got evicted but can't say for definite that it did. Chocolate raisins are bloody disgusting.
Jesus, learn to google. :x
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Which one did they evict in the end? I remember the contest but not the result - I thought the fact they were doing it at all was pretty fucking appalling and went completely against the nature of revels in general.
Jesus, learn to google. :x
That's no way to talk to the son of God.

Crazy that they tried strawberry though. That seems so-unrevelly. Glad coffee got put back, though clearly not glad enough to have bought a single packet of revels since September 2008*.

* according to Wikipedia by way of Michael Wallace via Google.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I thought it was the peanut ones that got evicted (in the usual conspiracy against nuts!). But I hate raisins so I haven't bought Revels since the raisin ones were introduced.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:I thought it was the peanut ones that got evicted (in the usual conspiracy against nuts!). But I hate raisins so I haven't bought Revels since the raisin ones were introduced.
Peanut ones?! :o (I'm too young to remember, right?)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:Jesus, learn to google. :x
Maybe this explains what happened to Charlie.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Just back from Tescos, who just sent me for no reason four vouchers for £10 off if you spend £30. Whether I can get through £30 worth of alcohol before next week's voucher is debatable.

I've also recently had two occasions when I've sent emails to my bank asking them to do something, where they've replied acknowledging my 'complaint' and subsequently sent me £30 'compensation'. In neither case was I actually complaining.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:I thought it was the peanut ones that got evicted (in the usual conspiracy against nuts!). But I hate raisins so I haven't bought Revels since the raisin ones were introduced.
Peanut ones?! :o (I'm too young to remember, right?)
Get lost!!! It can't be more than 3 or 4 years ago that they scrapped peanut ones (which were my favourites!).

Honestly! Just 'cause a few people have a slight allergy!!!!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:Honestly! Just 'cause a few people have a slight allergy!!!!
But can't you just buy peanut M&Ms?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:Honestly! Just 'cause a few people have a slight allergy!!!!
No!!! Because they have a crispy candy shell coating (which is horrid!)!

That's like saying "Buy Minstrels" when you'd rather have Galaxy Counters!!!

Which means you have to resort to nasty cheap chocolate peanuts rather than ones coated in Galaxy chocolate (unless you go to M&S who have nice chocolate peanuts).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
No!!! Because they have a crispy candy shell coating (which is horrid!)!

That's like saying "Buy Minstrels" when you'd rather have Galaxy Counters!!!

Which means you have to resort to nasty cheap chocolate peanuts rather than ones coated in Galaxy chocolate (unless you go to M&S who have nice chocolate peanuts).
Galaxy Counters sound like things an astronomer would use.

Edit: How hard would home-made chocolate covered peanuts be? You could do with amazing chocolate and have a peanutgasm.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote: Edit: How hard would home-made chocolate covered peanuts be? You could do with amazing chocolate and have a peanutgasm.

Hmm! Nice idea and would almost certainly be yummy but you are unlikely to achieve that nice smooth coating. Even if you put them on a fine mess rack to let the excess chocolate drip through, you'd still have a flat bottom. (Although that's probably the only way most of us girls will come close to having a flat bottom!)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:How hard would home-made chocolate covered peanuts be? You could do with amazing chocolate and have a peanutgasm.
Hmm! Nice idea and would almost certainly be yummy but you are unlikely to achieve that nice smooth coating. Even if you put them on a fine mess rack to let the excess chocolate drip through, you'd still have a flat bottom. (Although that's probably the only way most of us girls will come close to having a flat bottom!)
What, we should put you on a fine mess rack, cover you in chocolate and leave you to dry? That doesn't sound very PC.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: What, we should put you on a fine mess rack, cover you in chocolate and leave you to dry? That doesn't sound very PC.
That's another fine mesh you've got us into.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: What, we should put you on a fine mess rack, cover you in chocolate and leave you to dry? That doesn't sound very PC.
WIRE did you go and RACK that one out?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
WIRE did you go and RACK that one out?
Please don't do that - you're baking my head hurt.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm writing to Tesco now, hopefully will get some vouchers or some shit. I'm doubtful though..
Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find enclosed the packaging of a bag of Walkers Ready Salted crisps, bought on Friday 3rd September as part of a Meal Deal at Tesco Extra in Rainham.

As a regular customer of Tesco (my clubcard number is ************944) I had become accustomed to a high standard of products. Imagine my surprise when, on finishing the bag, I realised that it was over a month out of date (31-07-2010). My suspicions were aroused by the World Cup-themed bag decoration. I find it hard to conceive that nobody in the long process of getting these crisps onto the shelf noticed the same.

The 'Best Before' date is there for a reason. I would like to think Tesco's staff takes it a bit more seriously than this incident suggests. In bringing this to your attention I hope that nobody else will have to suffer the same misfortune I have.

I trust you will provide me with appropriate compensation in order to put this unfortunate situation to bed.

Yours,
Jonathan O'Neill
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm writing to Tesco now, hopefully will get some vouchers or some shit. I'm doubtful though..Jonathan O'Neill
Was there no sell-by date on them? There's no legal obligation on best before, although I'd be amazed if they didn't send you something. That said, I wrote to Sainsbury's a while back because they had bread on the shelves past its use by (let alone sell by), and they only sent me a £5 Sainsbury's card thing, which seems a bit cheap when they were presumably breaking the law.

Edited to fix my quote fail so it looks like Jono quote failed instead.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm writing to Tesco now, hopefully will get some vouchers or some shit. I'm doubtful though..Jonathan O'Neill
Was there no sell-by date on them? There's no legal obligation on best before, although I'd be amazed if they didn't send you something. That said, I wrote to Sainsbury's a while back because they had bread on the shelves past its use by (let alone sell by), and they only sent me a £5 Sainsbury's card thing, which seems a bit cheap when they were presumably breaking the law.
I can see why they wouldn't need to have a Sell By on crisps, they tasted fine.

But yeah I just want a voucher or something.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:But yeah I just want a voucher or something.
I reckon you might be alright - a month is a pretty long time, although you should have either not eaten them, or mentioned they tasted horrendous. Also that your mother was killed by a packet of crisps past their best before date.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Yesterday the Co-op gave me a voucher for £2 off if I spend over £20, which is pretty useless as I rarely spend as much as £10 at a time, as I don't buy my booze there :(
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Breaking 'free stuff' news:

McVities currently have a thing where you can collect points by entering codes from packets of biscuits on their website, which you can eventually redeem for Stuff. (For instance, if I bought 209 packets of Rich Teas I could get a wind-up radio.)

So anyway, on the website it shows you your points total in the top right corner, but mine was showing I only had 3, when I thought I should have 6. When I went to the 'my account' section of the site, sure enough I had 6 points there, so clearly there's a minor problem with the site. I sent them an email (complete with screencap) to point this out, in the hope they might send me some free biscuits, but instead they replied saying "thanks for your email, we've fixed it and you should now have 6 points". Bummer. But when I logged in again all they've done is give me 3 points, so that my top right corner total says 6, but my account total says 9. So no free biscuits, but 3 free points.

CF told me this was the most exciting story he'd heard today. (Although we only got up about an hour ago.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Buy the Mirror for 45p and get shit in Gregg's worth more than 45p.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Buy the Mirror for 45p and get shit in Gregg's worth more than 45p.
Buy yesterday's Mail on Sunday for free money! I went through like 20 papers and none of them had money in the skanky bastards.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Buy the Mirror for 45p and get shit in Gregg's worth more than 45p.
Buy yesterday's Mail on Sunday for free money! I went through like 20 papers and none of them had money in the skanky bastards.
Wut?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Wut?
Sorry, was it Saturday's? (I went almost 48 hours without sleep at the weekend so forgive me for getting confused with days!)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:Sorry, was it Saturday's? (I went almost 48 hours without sleep at the weekend so forgive me for getting confused with days!)
I just have no idea what you're talking about, is all - was it some competition or something? Tell us, tell us!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Sorry, was it Saturday's? (I went almost 48 hours without sleep at the weekend so forgive me for getting confused with days!)
I just have no idea what you're talking about, is all - was it some competition or something? Tell us, tell us!

And yes, the picture is neccessary, because Gillard hates large pictures, and there's only one thing worse in his eyes - (and it's not Hitler) - it's large pictures of me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ah bitchin'. I vaguely remember them doing stuff like that when I got the Mail (I was about 13, ok?) - never won anything. Presumably because the newsagents were sifting through them trying to find all the money before I could :x
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
[Ma-hoo-sive picture of Ryan's nose with literature more dubious than 50+ MILFS]

And yes, the picture is neccessary, because Gillard hates large pictures, and there's only one thing worse in his eyes - (and it's not Hitler) - it's large pictures of me.
You've just confirmed all my suspicions about why I never win anything, and why newsagents open so early. It's cos the paper boys go through the papers looking for the freebies before they're sold.

Edit: Yes ^what he said. (Hit Submit before you answer the door....)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

The best free stuff I ever got was the pencil and the fridge magnet from Co:Lon. :)

(Oh, and ChuChu Rocket on the Dreamcast. Spent ages plugging away at that game).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ben Wilson wrote:The best free stuff I ever got was the pencil and the fridge magnet from Co:Lon. :)
I think this shall be my 'Good luck, James!'.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
I can see why they wouldn't need to have a Sell By on crisps, they tasted fine.

Result!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:I can see why they wouldn't need to have a Sell By on crisps, they tasted fine.

Result!
You've got a tenner, and the store manager's clearly gonna get a bollocking, which will filter down, and someone's probably gonna get the sack. I hope you're happy.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I lived with a feckin diamond of a french bloke a few years back who used to just shoplift at tescos, justifying it by the fact that we were buying a fair lot of stuff at the same time. He used to call it ze 'special offer'. Anything small, like deodorants and the like, went in his pockets and not in the trolly. 'Ah, look, zis is fo fwee, sank you'.

Come to think of it, I did have a bit of a shoplifting phase when I was a kid. A bunch of us used steal Ice creams from the freezer in both the local garage and another shop at the other side of the village. One person would stall at the counter debating whether to buy a chomp or a stinger or whatever while the rest of us would take a closer look at the ice creams, fitting as many into our tracksuit bottoms as possible while somehow making it look like we weren't. Then we'd feck off on our bikes, giving random people any ice creams we knew we couldn't eat before they melted along the way like little robin hoods (and we probably did wear hoodies), off to some field to gorge before we ran it off with a game of football. Ah the days.

The pub I watched the England/Germany game in this summer offered a 'free pint' if Klose got the first goal. Fair fecks, they threw the bar open for a good half an hour afterwards, not charging anyone for pints.

This thread made me laugh out loud a few times.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I once pinched a packet of chewing gum while I was sat waiting to see the dentist. They were sat on the counter, the receptionist had buggered off somewhere, and I found it all quite thrilling. The only other time I did that was pinching a chocolate bar while buying some crisps or something. Too easy really, although I like to think I have morals these days. Either that, or I don't want to lose my job for want of a couple of quid.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Wilson wrote:Come to think of it, I did have a bit of a shoplifting phase when I was a kid. A bunch of us used steal Ice creams from the freezer in both the local garage and another shop at the other side of the village. One person would stall at the counter debating whether to buy a chomp or a stinger or whatever while the rest of us would take a closer look at the ice creams, fitting as many into our tracksuit bottoms as possible while somehow making it look like we weren't. Then we'd feck off on our bikes, giving random people any ice creams we knew we couldn't eat before they melted along the way like little robin hoods (and we probably did wear hoodies), off to some field to gorge before we ran it off with a game of football. Ah the days.
And you were the guy weeping about the state of society last week?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I've often thought how easy it would be to shoplift, and presumably that's kinda the point since a few people stealing chocolate bars isn't going to be enough to justify a security guard or whatever. I still like the idea of 'having a go' at shoplifting, so a shop employs people as secret shoplifters or whatever, reckon it could be quite fun.

I was recently in a Starbucks and I realised as I was queueing up that they sold the Gruaniad. I'd just bought a copy from somewhere else (40p for students ooh yeah) but realised that there was no way to prove that I hadn't got my copy from there. I was then stuck in the queue, panicking about what the correct course of action is - do I make it very obvious I have a newspaper so that they know I'm not trying to steal it, but then what if they charge me for it anyway? If I try and hide it won't it just look even more suspicious? As it turned out, I don't think anyone cared. Was quite exciting though.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:And you were the guy weeping about the state of society last week?
Aw, gimme a break man, i was just a kid. I hate that feeling in the shop when you walk in with something that they sell. Usually a simple 'i brought that in with me' suffices, but when you have a history of crime like myself, i suppose the guilt is harder to suppress.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Right so yesterday my Glee: Road to Regionals DVD came in the post. Hooray! Along with it was a £40 wine voucher for Virgin wines. I slung it aside and eagerly opened the Glee DVD. Anyway, I've just picked this thing back up and it's saying I can just get £40 free wine. There has to be some catch hasn't there?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Right so yesterday my Glee: Road to Regionals DVD came in the post. Hooray! Along with it was a £40 wine voucher for Virgin wines. I slung it aside and eagerly opened the Glee DVD. Anyway, I've just picked this thing back up and it's saying I can just get £40 free wine. There has to be some catch hasn't there?
Read it? Usually you have to spend another £40 or something.

If the queue in Boots is too long I tend to just walk out with whatever it is I'm getting, usually 20p paracetamol. They should employ more till people.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Right so yesterday my Glee: Road to Regionals DVD came in the post. Hooray! Along with it was a £40 wine voucher for Virgin wines. I slung it aside and eagerly opened the Glee DVD. Anyway, I've just picked this thing back up and it's saying I can just get £40 free wine. There has to be some catch hasn't there?
Or maybe it's a subscription thing? You could scan it in and show it to us, if you're really worried.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Or maybe it's a subscription thing? You could scan it in and show it to us, if you're really worried.
Well I think there is something dodgy about it, besides Richard Branson (RB :o ) When I went on the site it already had the "code" and "password" typed in so it is not like it is unique or anything. I've just read the T&C but can't see anything wrong yet. I'm just a bit reluctant to enter my bank details but if it seriously is just a case of 12 free wines then I'm on it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Read it? Usually you have to spend another £40 or something.
Well I think there is something dodgy about it, besides Richard Branson (RB :o ) When I went on the site it already had the "code" and "password" typed in so it is not like it is unique or anything. I've just read the T&C but can't see anything wrong yet. I'm just a bit reluctant to enter my bank details but if it seriously is just a case of 12 free wines then I'm on it.
linkplz
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:linkplz
You're trying to steal my free win aren't you? Admit it!

Anyway...go to http://www.virginwines.co.uk/starfish

What words are in the 'Code' and 'Password' box?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:

Dude, did you read the page? Isn't it just giving you £40 off one of the cases below?

Edit: Ah, I see it says you can use it on a "large range of wines". My bet is there won't be any that cost <£40 to use it on, but idk.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:

Dude, did you read the page? Isn't it just giving you £40 off one of the cases below?
I don't think so. It offered me 3 cases of wine. 1st case 12 mixed wines, 2nd case 12 red wines, 3rd case being 12 white wines. They are 39.99 each or is it only £39.99 because of my voucher? If not then the £40 voucher covers the cost (apart from delivery).#

Edit: Hmm I see what you are saying now I didnt see the bit underneath "your price" that says "with your voucher". :roll:

So fuck that for a laugh, I'm sticking to Glee.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:I don't think so. It offered me 3 cases of wine. 1st case 12 mixed wines, 2nd case 12 red wines, 3rd case being 12 white wines. They are 39.99 each or is it only £39.99 because of my voucher? If not then the £40 voucher covers the cost (apart from delivery).
Richard Branson wrote:Normally: £79.99

Your Price: £39.99
with your voucher
:?: