Trophy Cabinet

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Trophy Cabinet

Post by Michael Wallace »

Inspired by discussions on the Co:Lon thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what sorts of things c4cers have in their trophy cabinets.

Obviously not many people will actually have trophy cabinets (I don't), and plenty of us won't actually have anything which is 'strictly' (ask James Robinson :P) a trophy. Indeed, you might want to put things in your trophy cabinet that aren't really particularly impressive at all, (such as my fantasy football medal, detailed below). So the question is: what would be in yours?

Mine would include:

A bronze medal from the UK Maths Trust Junior Maths challenge, back when I was young enough.

A silver medal from when my school did a fantasy football competition. This season is in fact the first time I've played fantasy football since then, and it's reminded me why - it's a huge timesink for me.

A trophy from when I won the only chess tournament my secondary school ever held - this was the same tournament where a teacher told me off for checkmating someone in four moves (yes, really).

A glass lump for doing well in my MSc exams. It's called the 'Pfizer award for excellence in statistics' (or something like that), and is awarded to whoever performs best in that year's MSc Stats exams at UCL. I was pretty amused when I found out I'd won it, and I ended up having to go Sandwich to walk around the Pfizer building there for a bit, which was pretty boring. I did get to eat a sandwich in Sandwich, though, which means I am a badass.

The Co:Lon 2010 trophy. 'nuff sed.

Edit: Totally forgot the trophies we got from Pointless, lulz.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Trophy Cabinet

Post by Jon Corby »

I have my Countdown Series 54 finalist trophy, my CoC XIII trophy, and the severed heads of Sue Sanders and Clare Sudbery.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:I have my Countdown Series 54 finalist trophy, my CoC XIII trophy, and the severed heads of Sue Sanders and Clare Sudbery.
If that's qft, I can only assume it's in 'Return to Oz' stylie, where they still talk...

For my own part there's ~40 assorted pool and snooker trophies / decanters / stuff for various leagues, tournaments, county fixtures, man-of-the-match, etc. Not a single one of 'em's mine! :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Lesley Hines wrote:For my own part there's ~40 assorted pool and snooker trophies / decanters / stuff for various leagues, tournaments, county fixtures, man-of-the-match, etc. Not a single one of 'em's mine! :lol:
Damn, I was getting excited there until the last sentence. I played a lot of pool at uni, but never enjoyed the competitive side of things. I got roped into playing for my college's second team, but mostly because one of my friends had himself got roped in to captain - the only way I could enjoy those games were if I had a couple of pints first (although I maintain this puts me in my optimal pool playing condition).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Obviously I'm not a trophy cabinet kind of guy but if I was, and if I knew where these were, they'd be in it:

2nd place trophy for 1995 Dorset Maths Quiz
1st place trophy for 1996 Dorset Maths Quiz

The most ironic lol trophies any c4c member owns?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Obviously I'm not a trophy cabinet kind of guy but if I was, and if I knew where these were, they'd be in it:

2nd place trophy for 1995 Dorset Maths Quiz
1st place trophy for 1996 Dorset Maths Quiz

The most ironic lol trophies any c4c member owns?
I like the idea of maths specificto Dorset.

Also hahaha. When I was constructing my original post I kept thinking "man, there's something I've forgotten, didn't I win a trophy fairly recently for something?", but couldn't remember so just assumed I was making shit up.

Turns out I totally forgot our Pointless trophies. My memory is so awesome.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I won a design a clock contest in year 4, my design was the yellow one from Zig and Zag's head with loads of house hold appliances attached to it with robotic arms. The prize was a Lion Bar, but I traded it in for the runner up prize which was a Twix.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

To give you a very boring but detailed response, here goes:

9 year old winner of 25m breatstroke for South Holderness Swimming Club. I was the last winner of this trophy (in 2000) and so got to keep it. (Apparently I STILL hold the club record too!)

U11's 50m breastroke trophy from the Grimsby club championships

Sproatley Juniors FC player award 2008/2009

Sproatley Juniors FC player's player award 2003/2004

Winning 5-A-side trophy at Hull's annual tournament in U14's categor, which may be able to be viewed here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1312963918522

SHTC (the college I went to) award for excellent achievement 2009

4 awards (voted by everyone in my year at college) for "Most Likely to Succeed", "Most Likely to Be Famous", Most Likely to Make a Million" and "Male of the Year"

And the treasured series 61 finalist trophy from 'Countdown' (although I don't keep this displayed on my shelves of trophies..it is kept in it's box.

I have loads of other football trophies that I've won not worth listing, and too many trophies that I won in my 5 years swimming which in many cases are engraved, kept for a year, and then returned. I got some certificates for UKMT too - Gold Award then some Kangaroo certificate somewhere.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ben Hunter wrote:The prize was a Lion Bar, but I traded it in for the runner up prize which was a Twix.
Rookie error.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:The prize was a Lion Bar, but I traded it in for the runner up prize which was a Twix.
Rookie error.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oops, sorry. Rocky error.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:I got some certificates for UKMT too - Gold Award then some Kangaroo certificate somewhere.
Did you ever work out why it was called the Kangaroo? 'cos I never did.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Oops, sorry. Rocky error.
That was somewhere between a lol and an A-lol for me, maybe it could be an ala-lol (almost actual lol).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I got some certificates for UKMT too - Gold Award then some Kangaroo certificate somewhere.
No. I thought it was Australian or something at the time. Needless to say, I did shit in it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
No. I thought it was Australian or something at the time. Needless to say, I did shit in it.
I dismissed your original post cos you're such a narcissist Ryan, so I was reading up in reverse order through the quotery then, and thought you were referring to shitting in a trophy. :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

From work: 'Agent most likely to have a secret identity as a supervillain'. Got it pinned up next to my monitor. :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Chess trophies for a school's tourney - had perpetual trophy for Ulster Intermediates (two years) but had to give it back.

A few bridge shields from local competitions.

A rosette for best handwriting in P5.

Got into the Northern Ireland Pub Quiz finals a few times but always donked out in third or worse.

Oh yeah, and a shitload of dictionaries under my bed that'll never use nor ever be able to sell.
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Got a whole bunch of cricket trophies including Stamford Town Cricket Club 1st XI players player 2010 which I'm pretty proud of.

Also got the Countdown Series 61 finalist trophy and trophies for winning the national student snooker championship and 9-ball pool championship. Was only two matches away from also having the one for 8 ball pool.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So what I'm learning here is that some of you are too sporty for your own good. Isn't this a Countdown forum? I think the closest I could come to a 'sports' 'trophy' (and admittedly, is something I would have in a trophy cabinet) is the rubber band gun I used to win my two games of assassins as an undergrad.

Haha, I just remembered I was on a cuppers winning ultimate frisbee team whilst at uni, the trophy was tiny though, and I think we had to give it back.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I've won no trophies ever, for anything. And I'm cool with that. I'm mediocre as fuck.

Even if I did win a trophy I don't know what I'd do with it. If it had anything valuable in it I'd sell it, so I probably shouldn't have such things anyway.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

JimBentley wrote:I've won no trophies ever, for anything. And I'm cool with that. I'm mediocre as fuck.

Even if I did win a trophy I don't know what I'd do with it. If it had anything valuable in it I'd sell it, so I probably shouldn't have such things anyway.

Fuck off. There's nothing mediocre about Jim Bentley - you lying awesome cunt.

There's been a lot of [necessarily] loose talk about whose tongue is up whose hole recently and Jimbo mine is unashamedly up yours. I haven't got a trophy for you yet but I am sure the imaginative minds on this site could contrive one.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David O'Donnell wrote:
JimBentley wrote:I've won no trophies ever, for anything. And I'm cool with that. I'm mediocre as fuck.

There's been a lot of [necessarily] loose talk about whose tongue is up whose hole recently and Jimbo mine is unashamedly up yours. I haven't got a trophy for you yet but I am sure the imaginative minds on this site could contrive one.
LOLZ let's cyber baby
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JimBentley wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:

LOLZ let's cyber baby
Am I missing something, or did you not get a trophy for being a finalist all those years ago :?: :?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

James Robinson wrote: Am I missing something, or did you not get a trophy for being a finalist all those years ago :?: :?
Yeah yeah, I got a trophy for being a series winner and CoC finalist but fuck that Jimbo wants to cyber: this could get raunchy.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Am I missing something, or did you not get a trophy for being a finalist all those years ago :?: :?
Yeah yeah, I got a trophy for being a series winner and CoC finalist but fuck that Jimbo wants to cyber: this could get raunchy.
I think he means Bentley, not you.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

James Robinson wrote:Am I missing something, or did you not get a trophy for being a finalist all those years ago :?: :?
Nah, no trophies for quarter-finalists in those days. I did get a pen though. Nice pen, still use it.

Anyway, enough of these meanderings. David and I are off to a private place once I've finished my session with Jason.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jon Corby wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
I think he means Bentley, not you.
Well pardon me if sexual desire obfuscates my outlook on things. Don't be jealous, Corby, if I were to be incarcerated in any place where Jim wasn't the bull you know fine rightly I'd be your cow.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

My trophy cabinet consists of:

1 Countdown teapot

1 COLIN teapot

1 COLIN trophy (lasting a year)

1 Series 60 winner trophy

21 darts trophies.

I also have some chess medallions and trophies (and another Countdown teapot) back in Rugby but not sure where they are.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jon Corby wrote:I have my Countdown Series 54 finalist trophy, my CoC XIII trophy, and the severed heads of Sue Sanders and Clare Sudbery.
:D You silly old fucker!!!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

24 (I think) trophies from my rugby league days, although only three of them are personal to me - the rest are team prizes ranging from the Leeds and District Under-11 Cup Winners to the National Youth Cup Winners. We had a decent team to win that much in nine seasons that I played.

Also, 1 Countdown teapot. Got nothing for 15-to-1. :(
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Michael Wallace wrote:Did you ever work out why it was called the Kangaroo? 'cos I never did.
At our school they had a kangaroo cup and a joey cup for the 2 people in upper school and lower school respectively that had made the biggest leap in progress. Needless to say I never won it as there's never been much room for improvement :mrgreen:

I have a bunch of karate trophies and maths certificates from when I was younger. I since took up karate again and added one more trophy to the pile before quitting after realising my sensei was a massive prick. I also won sports day once at school (well I tied with 3 others on points but I was the winningest boy which is what counts most) and got a ginormous perpetual trophy about half my height to take home (albeit for a week before passing it on to one of the winning girls) Notably I won the sack race EVERY year at school thanks to my long, sexy Krypton Factor legs except for the last year when I claimed the title for egg and spoon instead. IN YOUR FACE OLIVER KENNY!!!111!11!

I've also got my CONOT '09 trophy, Countdown teapot and nameplate plus a sexy pen from filming the specials.

Oh and lots of love-making awards obviously
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Dinos wrote:Oh and lots of love-making awards obviously

Hopefully not for coming first though. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Gold medal for school 5-a-side (I wasn't too bad at sport back then).

Various Countdown things.

Over two dozen Scrabble things. Got a big cup style trophy for coming second in the Nationals and a crystal bowl for coming first. I still kinda prefer the second place trophy. Got a crystal glass set of bits and pieces for winning Middlesbrough's 25th anniversity competition. Oh yea gold medal for the team victory at Causeway, someone else got the mammoth team trophy (it's like a crystal bowl mounted on a marble block). Lots of mundane marble/wooden little doorstop type trophies from the club. A couple of bigger ones for coming 1st/2nd in the Winter Matchplay.

Plenty of time to win more loot.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote:Dinos wrote:Oh and lots of love-making awards obviously

Very good.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Marc Meakin wrote:Dinos wrote:Oh and lots of love-making awards obviously

All sorts of positions mate :mrgreen: