Not just a word (it's a sentence)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

How married are you?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Under-age
5%
Single
44%
In a relationship
14%
Engaged
5%
Married/civil partnered
26%
Separated
5%
Divorced
2%
Widowed
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 43

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Not just a word (it's a sentence)

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm sure this has been run before, but times they are a-changin'.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Not just a word (it's a sentence)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

You could be under-age and in a relationship or engaged.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:You could be under-age and in a relationship or engaged.
You could have something useful to say instead of being a less charming echo of James Robinson.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm married in all but law - living together, joint mortgage, three kids, all that shizzle. I don't want to click "married" but "in a relationship" doesn't really cut it, considering some other twit will tick that because they've spoken to someone on MSN twice.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm married in all but law - living together, joint mortgage, three kids, all that shizzle. I don't want to click "married" but "in a relationship" doesn't really cut it, considering some other twit will tick that because they've spoken to someone on MSN twice.
Does that not mean you are in civil partnership then? I know it does here in Ireland
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

james doohan wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'm married in all but law - living together, joint mortgage, three kids, all that shizzle. I don't want to click "married" but "in a relationship" doesn't really cut it, considering some other twit will tick that because they've spoken to someone on MSN twice.
Does that not mean you are in civil partnership then? I know it does here in Ireland
Oh I dunno - I took that to mean the gay marriage equivalent.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jon Corby wrote:
james doohan wrote:
Oh I dunno - I took that to mean the gay marriage equivalent.
As I understand you are already in a civil partnership whether you had a formal ceremony or not, as the legal implications are (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) that if you and your partner split up, in the eyes of the law your partner is entitled to half of your assets due to the lengthy and domestic situation of your relationship.
Hope thats not as clear as mud, but thats how I understand a civil partnership, formal or not!

Legal minefield though
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

james doohan wrote: As I understand you are already in a civil partnership whether you had a formal ceremony or not, as the legal implications are (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) that if you and your partner split up, in the eyes of the law your partner is entitled to half of your assets due to the lengthy and domestic situation of your relationship.
I know such legislation was mooted in this country a couple of years ago, but I dunno if it ever passed. If in doubt, click "Other".
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

james doohan wrote:As I understand you are already in a civil partnership whether you had a formal ceremony or not, as the legal implications are (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) that if you and your partner split up, in the eyes of the law your partner is entitled to half of your assets due to the lengthy and domestic situation of your relationship.
Hope thats not as clear as mud, but thats how I understand a civil partnership, formal or not!

Legal minefield though
Based on no legal background whatever, I thought the exact opposite. If there's no marriage certificate, there's no legal implications. The woman takes the kids (probably), financial arrangements are made for their support, and all assets and liabilities go to whoever's name is on the documentation. There always seem to be moves afoot to change this, but nothing ever happens.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:
james doohan wrote:As I understand you are already in a civil partnership whether you had a formal ceremony or not, as the legal implications are (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) that if you and your partner split up, in the eyes of the law your partner is entitled to half of your assets due to the lengthy and domestic situation of your relationship.

Legal minefield though
Based on no legal background whatever, I thought the exact opposite. If there's no marriage certificate, there's no legal implications. The woman takes the kids (probably), financial arrangements are made for their support, and all assets and liabilities go to whoever's name is on the documentation. There always seem to be moves afoot to change this, but nothing ever happens.
Yeah, I checked with my legal assistant (sadly not in the employ of Apterous Towers) and the law has never been passed in this country.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
james doohan wrote: As I understand you are already in a civil partnership whether you had a formal ceremony or not, as the legal implications are (Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid) that if you and your partner split up, in the eyes of the law your partner is entitled to half of your assets due to the lengthy and domestic situation of your relationship.
I know such legislation was mooted in this country a couple of years ago, but I dunno if it ever passed. If in doubt, click "Other".
The technical term used by the DWP (and virtually everyone else) fwiw is 'Common Law'. Civil Partnerships do indeed only refer to the gay.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
The technical term used by the DWP (and virtually everyone else) fwiw is 'Common Law'. Civil Partnerships do indeed only refer to the gay.
I fall into this category too. On opinion polls, it's usually classed as "living with partner" or "living as married". Definitely a BIG step up from being in a relationship. Can't leave my toenails lying around without getting a row.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I appear to be the only one so far to have ticked 'divorced' so far.
Charlie Reams wrote:
David Williams wrote:

Legal minefield though
Yeah, I checked with my legal assistant (sadly not in the employ of Apterous Towers) and the law has never been passed in this country.
That's how I understand it too. I don't mean to sound morbid and interfering, Jon (but I'll say it anyway!), if I were you, I'd make an honest woman of your beloved, or at least get a good solicitor to draw up a will to make sure she's not left high and dry if the worst happens, or indeed the other way round if you were left on your own.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Helen Andrews
Rookie

Post by Helen Andrews »

Single right now, had one 'serious' relationship but that eventually fell through. I think I'm in an 'independent woman' phase right now...
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Julie T wrote:That's how I understand it too. I don't mean to sound morbid and interfering, Jon (but I'll say it anyway!), if I were you, I'd make an honest woman of your beloved, or at least get a good solicitor to draw up a will to make sure she's not left high and dry if the worst happens, or indeed the other way round if you were left on your own.
Yes, with no will the kids get everything. That would change the balance of power in the Corby household.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

james doohan wrote:
No. The term 'civil partnership' in the UK applies specifically and solely to same-sex couples.

See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... G_10026937 for some official info. The following quote is possibly relevant:
There are over four million couples living together in England and Wales in cohabitation. Although cohabitants are now given legal protection in several areas, they and their families have significantly fewer rights and responsibilities than people who are married or who have formed a civil partnership.

Most people think that, after they've been living with their partner for a couple of years, they become 'common law husband and wife' with the same rights as married couples. This is not the case. In fact, couples who live together have hardly any of the same rights as married couples or civil partners.

There is no such thing as ‘common law marriage’.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

So I'm married to a woman but I get lumped in with the gayers? Not fair.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

So less than half of Countdown fans can find a girlfriend/boyfriend? That's a bit worrying. Maybe we're all too choosy.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Smith wrote:So less than half of Countdown fans can find a girlfriend/boyfriend? That's a bit worrying. Maybe we're all too choosy.
Yeah, that must be it.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'd like to know who else GANDISEEG
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

The fact that 50% of people on a Countdown forum are in or have been in any sort of relationship with another human being greatly surprises me.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Some might not relish the sudden prospect of a squirming baby.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Some might not relish the sudden prospect of a squirming baby.
Especially not on their lap. Makes it very hard to type, you know.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Really? Does that mean you've had some sort of relationship with another human?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Matthew Green wrote:The fact that 50% of people on a Countdown forum are in or have been in any sort of relationship with another human being greatly surprises me.
We were young and didn't know any better. But now we have seen the errors of our ways, and it won't happen again, sir.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Matthew Green wrote:The fact that 50% of people on a Countdown forum are in or have been in any sort of relationship with another human being greatly surprises me.
There are over a thousand registered members, so it's more like 2% that admit to a relationship. And most of the rest aren't saying. Do you feel more at home with that?