Dinos on Krypton Factor [with spoilers]

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Dinos on Krypton Factor [with spoilers]

Post by Charlie Reams »

That assault course was awesome. That's real pain right there!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Re: Dinos on Krypton Factor [with spoilers]

Post by James Doohan »

Fucking awesome assault course Dinos!!!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

That assault course was mental, I've never seen pain quite like it. Unlucky to fall at the last hurdle there though.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Brilliant performance Dinos!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Well done Dinos
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

LOL @ Sally falling off the beam.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Just seen it, well done Dinos, some superb rounds there. 8-)

Here it is on the ITV player for those that missed it:

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=119295
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Nice play Dinos. I liked the mental agility round - was surprised the rest struggled with it. I couldn't do the observation or the general knowledge and I'm a bat fastard so the assault course would not have gone well. Nice one.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Awesome performance, winning in the mental and physical rounds, Dinos! :)
Pipped at the end, unfortunately, by a bloke who was fast on the buzzer in the general knowledge round.
Well done, a great achievement! :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Unlucky Dinos, great assault course though! :D
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

As requested...

:D
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Yes, great stuff Dinos, you did yourself proud. As for the Krypton Factor, it's the first time I'd watched it for years - with only the four rounds these days, it seemed to be over really quickly and seemed to be a bit of a case of style over content. Enjoyed it though, well done mate and commiserations on losing to Clark Kent at the final hurdle.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

And, as a bonus:

:lol:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Alec Rivers wrote:Image
What are his hands doing??
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Well done, Dinos. That was phenomenal your Mental Agility & Physical Ability rounds. I still have no idea how anyone can do those.

My sister's schoolfriend's dad came third in the 1993 Grand Final, and the assault course back then looked more like a walk in the park back then.

A shame you only came 3rd, but well done nonetheless. ;) :) :D :mrgreen:

P.S. It did start at 7:32pm, as I predicted. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at today's spoilers.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:What are his hands doing??
Reaching for Jon Corby's crotch, if history serves.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Wow, Ben Shepherd is a really crap presenter. He's like an Anne Robinson for the Dick and Dom generation.

Loved all the faces Dinos :lol:. Jolly good show.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Well in Dinos! Have to admit I thought you would die on the assault course, awesome effort. Only having four rounds is really disappointing though, can't help but think you'd have won if they kept the 3d puzzle round.
Alec Rivers wrote:
Can we have a gif of Sally doing this :?
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Well done Dinos - so close.

I usually watch the Krypton Factor each week, but this time I was told I simply had to watch by my wife because a school friend from her class (Christopher Barstow) was on. Little did I expect to see you on it too! I clearly missed any prior chat on the subject.

Needless to say I cheered for you throughout whilst Ella rooted for Chris. Gutted for you at the end, though Ella warned me that Chris was pretty useful with general knowledge.

It is the only other program I would consider trying out for so I'll have to catch up with you with a blow by blow account of the day(s).
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Paul Howe wrote:Can we have a gif of Sally doing this :?
Who's Sally?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Kirk Bevins wrote: I liked the mental agility round - was surprised the rest struggled with it.
Amazing performance Dinos. Well done!

I thought the mental agility round was awesome. I thought it was really difficult!!

And the assault course was mightily impressive. What next? Total Wipeout???

I was a bit surprised at the poor performances in the observation round - I thought that was a relatively easy round compared to mental agility and the assault course. Just goes to show that it's very difficult to be a true all-rounder.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Whoops, knew I forgot something last night.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Alec Rivers wrote:Image
Awesomesauce :) I've tried making this as my avatar but it says filesize is too big. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your kind comments peeps. I'm ecstatic with my performance especially in The Kube and The Assault Course. Since those are the 2 rounds that are filmed first I really thought I had it in the bag as the scoreboard was:

Me 20
Sally 12
John 8
Chris 6

But then I completely zonked on the Observation. In the practice clip all the questions were about stuff in the background so I missed most of the conversation cos I was looking at bloody paintings! As for General Knowledge there were a few questions I buzzed a fraction of a second after Sally like the millenium one and the archbishop. Sinbad was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't remember it. And after buzzing in I realised Melbourne was in Australia but was not its capital :( All my family and friends are really proud of me though and I had a great time. Nothing more I could ask for really :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

From the Krypton Factor website:

Several of this week’s contenders for a coveted place in the Krypton Factor semi-finals were out to battle against stereotypes as well as each other. Retail Analyst Sally Hughes wanted to prove that she’s not a ‘ditsy blonde’. 20 year-old Maths student Dinos Sfyris wanted to show his opponents that, although he was the youngest, they should not underestimate him.

Dinos put his number processing skills to good use in the Mental Agility round, taking an early lead in the competition. However, after an exceptionally low-scoring Observation round, there was a four-way tie, with all the contestants on 12 points. It was anybody’s game.
Sally came close to victory on the assault course, but a slip on the balance beam cost her the lead, and Dinos was able to cruise past and take the maximum 10 points. This left a very open contest going into the final round. Entrepreneur Chris Barstow made a brilliant comeback to win the heat with a final Krypton Factor of 26. Chris was hoping General Knowledge would be his strong point and, as a bit of a Christopher Reeve look-alike, he did manage to live up to his nickname, ‘Superman’

Also I've just managed to get onto the Top 10 Assault Course Times at number #9. There's been 20 contestants so far. Glad I wasn't in heat 4!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Glorious, just glorious. Right from the beginning with your cheeky wave to camera, you were just so likeable - something of a natural on telly. I loved your spider legs, and agonised face pulling, and the Kube thing was AMAZING!! Real shame about the observation as I thought your question was gettable, but now you've explained you were lulled into concentrating on visual stuff, not getting it makes sense.

Have you had a go at any of the 'Go Ape' assault courses? There's one at Sherwood Forest.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Awesomesauce :) I've tried making this as my avatar but it says filesize is too big. Any ideas?
The maximum avatar file size is 31 kB. This clip, which has 98 frames @ 144x144 in 32 colours, is 943.25 kB. To make something within the prohibitive size limit, I'll have to:
  • • reduce the resolution (say, to 96x96)
    • reduce the frame count (to as few as 20 perhaps)
    • reduce the frame rate (from 25fps to 5fps)
    • apply an edge-preserving smooth to each frame to reduce the pixel complexity
    • possibly reduce the colour depth to 16
... but I'm willing to give it a go. ;)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Sue Sanders wrote:Have you had a go at any of the 'Go Ape' assault courses? There's one at Sherwood Forest.
Actually I have and that's the one I've been to. Great day out for anyone with a sense of physical adventure.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:Have you had a go at any of the 'Go Ape' assault courses? There's one at Sherwood Forest.
Actually I have and that's the one I've been to. Great day out for anyone with a sense of physical adventure.
Physical adventure, yes, but you don't have to have above average fitness to do it. I've been to Thetford Forest one a couple of times and loads more have opened up at around the country. People can go to http://www.goape.co.uk to check it out. Maybe a Co-Ape event needs organising???
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James Robinson wrote:My sister's schoolfriend's dad came third in the 1993 Grand Final
Fame beckons for you Mr Robinson.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Just joined the event mentioned on Dinos' facebook page, 'Em on Krypton Factor' on 16th Feb.
Now realised, that it's not your Em, but a friend from Sheffield Uni!
Never mind, I'll root for her anyway. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:Enjoyed it though, well done mate and commiserations on losing to Clark Kent at the final hurdle.
I thought he looked more like Mark Webber.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Top stuff Dinos - I pencilled myself in for the Thu night viewing thanks to your message, and that was a really good watch as well as a great performance. It looked like you "knew pain" in your introduction slot (working out at the gym), but the assault course taught you otherwise. ;)

I can't believe they've cut the show from 5 to 4 rounds when I felt it needed a return to 6. At least the assault course is improved on the last series (even if it is heavily edited), but it's a dire format now compared to the original. I'll only be watching if there's someone I know to cheer on.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Just watched the ITV4 repeat and thought you did great, Dinos. Normally, I'm pretty good playing the mental agility at home, but you completely blew me out of the water there. That was amazing. You made good tv too.
Dan Vanniasingham wrote: I can't believe they've cut the show from 5 to 4 rounds when I felt it needed a return to 6. At least the assault course is improved on the last series (even if it is heavily edited), but it's a dire format now compared to the original. I'll only be watching if there's someone I know to cheer on.
On the plus side, they have devoted more time to each round, particularly general knowledge, which I thought was very rushed in the previous series. I'd love to see the iconic puzzle round back, but they may have to make the show longer.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Have finally watched the show... thought you were unfortunate not to win, Dinos, after a truly awesome performance in Mental Agility (which I thought was much more impressive than your assault course victory). Sadly, as with many quiz shows nowadays, the format is designed so that there can be unpredictable results (mainly by having statistically small number of questions, or rounds)... that observation round is a joke nowadays - it was much better in the old 1990s format.

And for those who think Ben Shephard is a bad presenter on The Krypton Factor, he's not as bad as he was last year. His 2009 commentary on the assault course was painful to listen to - full of gems like "Alan's muffed it", "Josie's stacked it"...