Apology

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Apology

Post by Jason Larsen »

I apologize for the Facebook fiasco and any unease I may have caused for any of you. I did the exact same thing to Dinos as I did to somebody else I know.

To make it up to everyone, I have done the following.

1. Added Dinos as a friend on Facebook
2. Added the other person in question as a friend on Facebook
3. Added Matthew Green as a friend on Facebook

I will post my review of the first Countdown episode of the new year ASAP and will be back as soon as someone replies to this thread.

Thank you
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Re: Apology

Post by Phil Makepeace »

I preferred it when you were angry.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:To make it up to everyone, I have done the following.

1. Added Dinos as a friend on Facebook
:)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

[u]Make peace[/u] wrote:I preferred it when you were angry.
Someone will be along to debate whether this is irony shortly.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Derek, no.
Josh Overhill

Post by Josh Overhill »

Derek Hazell wrote:
[u]Make peace[/u] wrote:I preferred it when you were angry.
Someone will be along to debate whether this is irony shortly.

I can just visualise that piece of tumbleweed going past...
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Derek, if you're happy to crack jokes of the ilk that my Year 1 classmates did 15 years ago, feel free. Or just don't.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Derek, if you're happy to crack jokes of the ilk that my Year 1 classmates did 15 years ago, feel free. Or just don't.
Wasn't meant to be a joke, just an observation. Or maybe you're just attempting more "irony" by being nasty in a thread titled "Apology".
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

ImageImage
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for your kind words, everyone.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I'm glad you seem to have recovered from your gloom, Jason. :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Derek, if you're happy to crack jokes of the ilk that my Year 1 classmates did 15 years ago, feel free. Or just don't.
Derek Hazell in not-funny shocker :o
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Fuck's sake, lighten up you bandwagon-jumping knacker.

Edit: And you can shut your fucking face as well Reams.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:

Bad things have happened when people haven't liked Mondays (unless the day's just a coincidence for your less-than-usually-cheery countenance). Have a nice coffee - there's only the rest of the week to go now before Friday :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

Bad things have happened when people haven't liked Mondays (unless the day's just a coincidence for your less-than-usually-cheery countenance). Have a nice coffee - there's only the rest of the week to go now before Friday :D
I would have a nice coffee, but our freshly-ground-coffee-vending-machine is now empty because all the other floors in the building descended on it when word spread that it was on free vend. It doesn't look like my mood's getting better any time soon Leslie.

:D

Seriously though, I'm fine. Derek made a harmless, appropriate pun based on Phil's name. Of course he's gonna have heard similar before, but tough shit. It occurs to me that Phil only stuck the boot in because he knows Derek's on Charlie's shit list and it's a safe (or even 'in') thing to do. I could be wrong, but I can't recall him remotely having a go at anyone else anywhere ever.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:Derek made a harmless, appropriate pun based on Phil's name. Of course he's gonna have heard similar before, but tough shit. It occurs to me that Phil only stuck the boot in because he knows Derek's on Charlie's shit list and it's a safe (or even 'in') thing to do.
Well said.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Haha fair enough.
Jon Corby wrote:Seriously though, I'm fine.
Then if I were you I'd sue your other posts for slander. Give me your address - I'll get a nice flask couriered over asap! :lol:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Where's Dempsey :?:
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Being Ronnie and Roxanne's mum in Eastenders.
Edit: - no hang on - he's married to her IRL
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:
What do you do if you want to make a vegetable other than peas?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Seriously though, I'm fine. Derek made a harmless, appropriate pun based on Phil's name.
It wasn't very funny though, was it?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:It wasn't very funny though, was it?
Derek Hazell wrote:Wasn't meant to be a joke, just an observation . . .
(about the juxtaposition of the post content and the name of the poster)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It wasn't very funny though, was it?
Derek Hazell wrote:Wasn't meant to be a joke, just an observation . . .
(about the juxtaposition of the post content and the name of the poster)
Haha. Are you the kind of person that punches someone and says "that wasn't meant to hurt!!"? The evidence that you belong in Year 1 continues to accumulate.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Seriously though, I'm fine. Derek made a harmless, appropriate pun based on Phil's name.
It wasn't very funny though, was it?
Meh, it was fine. I'm sure we've all done worse. At least we have a reference point now though - any humour based on people's names is unacceptable, particularly if they're likely to have heard similar before. Get Julie T to include it in her posting rules.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Haha. Are you the kind of person that punches someone and says "that wasn't meant to hurt!!"? The evidence that you belong in Year 1 continues to accumulate.
What are you talking about?

Go on admit it, you just love a fight. I remember that from Year 1 too!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:Meh, it was fine. I'm sure we've all done worse. At least we have a reference point now though - any humour based on people's names is unacceptable, particularly if they're likely to have heard similar before. Get Julie T to include it in her posting rules.
With a name like Hazell, I've probably had it more than most. Not only is it a nut, but also a girl's name. People just have to toughen up a bit, and also accept that no humour (or observation) appeals to everyone.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've used the same tactics for sex, claiming it wasn't meant to be good, cos, you know, it was ironic sex or something. Always works. (Never works.)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:Derek always means well and his hit-rate with successful jokes is probably at least as high as mine.
Now everyone be nice!
Thank you :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote: Meh, it was fine. I'm sure we've all done worse. At least we have a reference point now though - any humour based on people's names is unacceptable, particularly if they're likely to have heard similar before. Get Julie T to include it in her posting rules.
If I posted something that unfunny, I'd expect someone to tell me to about it (and no doubt all my self-described nemeses will be doing exactly that from now on). It's not like I was threatening to ban him for crimes against comedy. One of the chief criticisms levelled at my posts is that they lack self-censorship, since I'll tend to tell people when I think they're being dicks, but apparently the same does not apply when it comes to posting 10 million incredibly shit puns punctuated only by some tragic self pity and confused analogies about skunks.
Derek Hazell wrote:People just have to toughen up a bit
lol
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Meh, it was fine. I'm sure we've all done worse. At least we have a reference point now though - any humour based on people's names is unacceptable, particularly if they're likely to have heard similar before. Get Julie T to include it in her posting rules.
With a name like Hazell, I've probably had it more than most. Not only is it a nut, but also a girl's name. People just have to toughen up a bit, and also accept that no humour (or observation) appeals to everyone.
As I used to say to the school bully, 'sticks and stones may break my bones' just before I was rushed to casualty with a twig jambed in my ear
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:apparently the same does not apply when it comes to posting 10 million incredibly shit puns punctuated only by some tragic self pity and confused analogies about skunks.
I don't pity myself, I'm quite a relaxed person, and that seems to be one of the problems, because several people around here are all wound up like a coiled spring all the time and full of complexes.

I also apologised to Michael Wallace for that one skunk post, and the done thing is not to bring things up again when someone's realised they were wrong and publicly said so.

So when did you first start disliking me then, Mr. Reams? You never registered on my radar much until you started attacking me just after the finals. You were just the guy who ran the forum I loved.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: Meh, it was fine. I'm sure we've all done worse. At least we have a reference point now though - any humour based on people's names is unacceptable, particularly if they're likely to have heard similar before. Get Julie T to include it in her posting rules.
If I posted something that unfunny, I'd expect someone to tell me to about it (and no doubt all my self-described nemeses will be doing exactly that from now on). It's not like I was threatening to ban him for crimes against comedy. One of the chief criticisms levelled at my posts is that they lack self-censorship, since I'll tend to tell people when I think they're being dicks, but apparently the same does not apply when it comes to posting 10 million incredibly shit puns punctuated only by some tragic self pity and confused analogies about skunks.
Derek Hazell wrote:People just have to toughen up a bit
lol
Or read all of Kieren's jokes on Aptochat (then you will think Derek is a comedy god)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote: Or read all of Kieren's jokes on Aptochat (then you will think Derek is a comedy god)
Yeah, good point. Even when you tell Kieran that they are utter shite, he will continue to find some more awful jokes.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Shiiiiiit. I definitely didn't mean to spark this kind of fallout. Given you've left, I doubt you'll be reading this, but sorry Derek, I overreacted. While I have to admit I don't find your jokes and observations very humorous most of the time (different taste etc.), you're a harmless guy and you never deserved the vitriol. All the best.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Given you've left, I doubt you'll be reading this
I'll take that bet.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Shiiiiiit. I definitely didn't mean to spark this kind of fallout. Given you've left, I doubt you'll be reading this, but sorry Derek, I overreacted. While I have to admit I don't find your jokes and observations very humorous most of the time (different taste etc.), you're a harmless guy and you never deserved the vitriol. All the best.
I guess he cracked ;) Sorry Derek but I am sure you would appreciate the humour
Sorry but I feel that I should pick up the comedy gauntlet.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:...stuff...
It doesn't happen often mate I have to say, but in this instance we disagree. If he really bothered you that much I don't know why you can't just ignore him. I know some might go "lol, irony" considering I've had a couple (more? less? dunno) of fairly public spats on here, but for me, somebody making "weak puns" (I don't even like classifying it like that because I KNOW we've all posted similar or worse) isn't worthy of such vitriol to the extent that they've left. Somebody going around slagging the host (and therefore indirectly the person who employs the host, and so on) is. Somebody constantly shooting their mouth off about how great they are in a patronising condescending manner, is. Somebody trying to make some metaphorical triumph about their embarrassing performance, is. Derek... just... isn't.

On the flipside, I also don't think Derek needs to flounce off just because you criticise him. Similarly, he could just ignore you, and everyone's happy. I suggested above that Phil might have only said what he did because of Charlie's previous posts, but he's since posted a kind of apology/retraction, so it's not like Charlie is building an army of Derek-haters. All it takes is for one of you to ignore the other, and everyone's happy.

There you go. I'm 99.9 recurring percent certain when you (Charlie) read stuff from me like "you're on my shit list" and "shut your fucking face" you laugh and then forget about it - which is great, because that's exactly the spirit in which it's intended. But there is some serious stuff above (that last bit really is for other people reading this who are less able to judge tone etc in the written word)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Fair enough, don't expect everyone to agree with me. Any sympathy I might've had has now evaporated since Derek did the now-fashionable flouncing off thing.

Future policy on flounces will be that I lock or delete whatever topic you start to announce your departure and close your account. Anyway I'm done with this topic now, time to move on.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:...stuff...
It doesn't happen often mate I have to say, but in this instance we disagree. If he really bothered you that much I don't know why you can't just ignore him. I know some might go "lol, irony" considering I've had a couple (more? less? dunno) of fairly public spats on here, but for me, somebody making "weak puns" (I don't even like classifying it like that because I KNOW we've all posted similar or worse) isn't worthy of such vitriol to the extent that they've left. Somebody going around slagging the host (and therefore indirectly the person who employs the host, and so on) is. Somebody constantly shooting their mouth off about how great they are in a patronising condescending manner, is. Somebody trying to make some metaphorical triumph about their embarrassing performance, is. Derek... just... isn't.

On the flipside, I also don't think Derek needs to flounce off just because you criticise him. Similarly, he could just ignore you, and everyone's happy. I suggested above that Phil might have only said what he did because of Charlie's previous posts, but he's since posted a kind of apology/retraction, so it's not like Charlie is building an army of Derek-haters. All it takes is for one of you to ignore the other, and everyone's happy.

There you go. I'm 99.9 recurring percent certain when you (Charlie) read stuff from me like "you're on my shit list" and "shut your fucking face" you laugh and then forget about it - which is great, because that's exactly the spirit in which it's intended. But there is some serious stuff above (that last bit really is for other people reading this who are less able to judge tone etc in the written word)
Someone talking sense, at last. Great post. (Also means I have to admit I underestimated you, Jon.)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:Fair enough, don't expect everyone to agree with me. Any sympathy I might've had has now evaporated since Derek did the now-fashionable flouncing off thing.

Future policy on flounces will be that I lock or delete whatever topic you start to announce your departure and close your account. Anyway I'm done with this topic now, time to move on.
I assumed Derek locked the thread.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Seems I dodged a bullet. :mrgreen:
Charlie Reams wrote:Fair enough, don't expect everyone to agree with me. Any sympathy I might've had has now evaporated since Derek did the now-fashionable flouncing off thing.

In terms of moving on, I'd probably leave the door open with their account, but I suppose they can start another. Didn't Damian do that when he flounced off? :twisted:
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Seems I dodged a bullet. :mrgreen:
It's alright Gevin, I now expect a barrage of punnishment. Derek was unfortunate to be on the end of my extraordinarily bad mood on Saturday. That I took it out on a guy on an internet forum over something trivial - that provoked them to leave - isn't something I'm proud of.

And I hadn't seen Brittain's post (or your reply) before now; I guess it was just part of his efforts to compare me to Usain Bolt. The loon.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

It does seem to me that while Countdown's been off the air, there's been a lot more bitching, sniping and general unpleasantness on the forum than hitherto. :o
Is it withdrawal symptoms - or have I just been reading threads that I've not bothered with when there's been plenty of relevant stuff available ?

In any case, cool it folks - there's nothing to be gained by driving away people who could make relevant ON-TOPIC contributions :roll:
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Peter Mabey wrote:It does seem to me that while Countdown's been off the air, there's been a lot more bitching, sniping and general unpleasantness on the forum than hitherto. :o
Is it withdrawal symptoms - or have I just been reading threads that I've not bothered with when there's been plenty of relevant stuff available ?

In any case, cool it folks - there's nothing to be gained by driving away people who could make relevant ON-TOPIC contributions :roll:
Shut up and go away.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Sod the coffee - I think I'll just send everyone Marmite instead :(
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Lesley Hines wrote:Sod the coffee - I think I'll just send everyone Marmite instead :(
Shut up.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Lesley Hines wrote:Sod the coffee - I think I'll just send everyone Marmite instead :(
Yum! :D
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:It does seem to me that while Countdown's been off the air, there's been a lot more bitching, sniping and general unpleasantness on the forum than hitherto. :o

Shut up and go away.
Righto - sorry I spoke :|
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Peter Mabey wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:

Shut up and go away.
Righto - sorry I spoke :|
Mabey you should tell him to bog Gough.

Surname comedy FTW
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mabey you should tell him to bog Gough.

Surname comedy FTW
Brilliant.