Christmas is here again

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Do you celebrate Christmas?

Yes, as a Christian festival
16%
Yes, as a Pagan festival
3%
Yes, mainly as a family get together
65%
No, I hate it like a sheep sucking a striped mint
11%
No, I'm just going to use the time off to sit around drinking and block it all out
3%
Not telling you, polls are b***** f****** s*** - there's my Christmas spirit for you!
3%

Total votes: 37

Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Christmas is here again

Post by Derek Hazell »

Nobody's saying anything now Countdown's off air, so time for another boring poll.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Christmas is here again

Post by Matt Morrison »

I fucking love Christmas. I love seeing my family, and the buzz I get out of giving people presents and seeing them smile is like nothing else. I love this time of year.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

^What he said :D
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

^ What she said. :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

^ What they both said. ;) :) :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

James Robinson wrote:^ What they both said. ;) :) :D
^ What they all said (apart from Derek) :D :) ;)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:the buzz I get out of giving people presents and seeing them smile is like nothing else.
Have you tried cocaine?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:the buzz I get out of giving people presents and seeing them smile is like nothing else.
Have you tried cocaine?
No, he prefers to get Merry with Joanna.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Family get together. But we have them about four times a year anyway, so the fact that it's Christmas on this occasion doesn't make that much difference.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Howard Somerset wrote:Family get together. But we have them about four times a year anyway, so the fact that it's Christmas on this occasion doesn't make that much difference.
Agreed, why goodwill to all men (not the women?) on one day a year? Whats the matter with the other 364 days? Bah! humbug.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Christmas shall be different this year with apterous to buffer the boredom.

Have a happy Christmas everyone.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Andy Wilson wrote:Christmas...boredom.
lol wat!?

Emma and I will be celebrating our first Christmas living together by erm... going to our parents' and eating all the food, then when all that food is gone we'll go to the other set of parents and do the same there. Really looking forward to it. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :) :D
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

George Jenkins wrote:why goodwill to all men (not the women?)
There seems to be some debate as to whether this should be "to men of goodwill".

The original Greek, according to this website, is:
Δόξα ἐν ὑψίστοις θεῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς εἰρήνη ἐν ἀνθρώποις εὐδοκίας
and the Latin translation:
et in terra pax hominibus, bonae voluntatis

The debate seems to rest on accusitive/dative, though since my basic Latin studies were 33 years ago, I haven't a clue. Mind you, I didn't have much of a clue 33 years ago. Although, to answer George's question, hominibus can be translated (I think) as "a human being, man, person", so the "men" in the English translation should not be taken as being gender-specific.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Christmas...boredom.
lol wat!?
I assumed it was a common phenomenon. I guess it's just because I live a decent commute to my mother's place (so I'm already here) and will be stuck here til Sunday probably, by which time I'll definitely be ready to get out! Not that I don't enjoy it...
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Merry Christmas Everyone! :D :D :D

I love Christmas, all the joy and bonhomie, even though it's quite expensive buying stuff for all my kids, and hard work cooking the dinner.
Being an atheist, I resent Christians insisting on bringing Jesus into it, though. ;)
I love all the tacky, cheery decorations too, and we even have snow this year! :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Brian Moore wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:why goodwill to all men (not the women?)
There seems to be some debate as to whether this should be "to men of goodwill".

The original Greek, according to this website, is:
Δόξα ἐν ὑψίστοις θεῷ καὶ ἐπὶ γῆς εἰρήνη ἐν ἀνθρώποις εὐδοκίας
and the Latin translation:
et in terra pax hominibus, bonae voluntatis

The debate seems to rest on accusitive/dative, though since my basic Latin studies were 33 years ago, I haven't a clue. Mind you, I didn't have much of a clue 33 years ago. Although, to answer George's question, hominibus can be translated (I think) as "a human being, man, person", so the "men" in the English translation should not be taken as being gender-specific.
I was fascinated by your answer Brian, but my clunky brain can only think of a simpler anwer. We are human animals, different from ovine, bovine animals, etc. A male pig is a boar, and a female is a sow. If we talk about a boar, we don't include a female sow, so goodwill to all boars means exactly that. If we want to include women in our good will wishes, we should say goodwill to all humans. From what I have learnt about attitudes to women in the past, they had no rights at all, right up to the present time, where in most occupations, they are paid less than Human men. Didn't Lott who lived in Soddom, say to the host who ordered him to hand over his male guest, so that they will know him, (I love the polite language), "Nay, Know ye not my guest, Take ye my Wife, and do what ye will with her", or words to that effect, But the Angel, who had been sent down by God to test Lott, smote the host blind, because Lott had passed his test. So considering the status of women, who were owned by their husbands as a commodity I can't imagine Vicars and Priests including women in their good will wishes. I think that the phrase is, goodwill to all MEN. So! all you lads who don't like women and think that they are inferier, as in the bible, send them to me, I love 'em.
Last edited by George Jenkins on Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Yeah, Merry Christmas lovers and haters
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

The one thing that annoys me about Christmas is the hype - about 57,000,000 of my Facebook friends have said "omg xmas 2moz!!!!!1".
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

George Jenkins wrote: Didn't Lott who lived in Soddom,
Say to the host who ordered him to hand over his male guest,
So that they will know him,
"Nay, Know ye not my guest,

Take ye my Wife, and do what ye will with her",
But the Angel, who had been sent down by God to test Lott,
Smote the host blind,
Because Lott had passed his test.
I think these are a couple of verses out of 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing' that have been dropped in recent years, because they didn't fit the tune very well.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

George Jenkins wrote:So! all you lads who don't like women and think that they are inferier, as in the bible, send them to me, I love 'em.
But Lot was Jewish, so nothing to do with Christmas. "Goodwill to all men" is from Luke, who was very definitely pro-women. So it's either a mistranslation or it means "men" as in "mankind".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:But Lot was Jewish, so nothing to do with Christmas.
Jesus was also Jewish.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

David Roe wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:So! all you lads who don't like women and think that they are inferier, as in the bible, send them to me, I love 'em.
But Lot was Jewish, so nothing to do with Christmas. "Goodwill to all men" is from Luke, who was very definitely pro-women. So it's either a mistranslation or it means "men" as in "mankind".
That's only another example of pushing the belief in the superiority of men. If the intention was to include women, he would have said humankind, or least "Goodwill to all men and women". Doesn't the fact that Priests are not allowed to marry say something about Religions attitude to women. I have always assumed that women are assumed to be unclean, unworthy, corrupting because of the desires of the flesh or whatever. I'd like to know the real reson. Of course, it's alright to rape little boys, so God must be a tolerant bastard. Also, quoting from the bible is perpetuating fiction.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Happy Christmas all. Hope Santa brings you what you want :D xx
Lowering the averages since 2009
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

George Jenkins wrote:That's only another example of pushing the belief in the superiority of men. If the intention was to include women, he would have said humankind, or least "Goodwill to all men and women". Doesn't the fact that Priests are not allowed to marry say something about Religions attitude to women. I have always assumed that women are assumed to be unclean, unworthy, corrupting because of the desires of the flesh or whatever. I'd like to know the real reson. Of course, it's alright to rape little boys, so God must be a tolerant bastard. Also, quoting from the bible is perpetuating fiction.
Amen, George!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Lesley Hines wrote:Happy Christmas all. Hope Santa brings you what you want :D xx
Thanks, Lesley, you too! x
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

As George says, pigs are general and boars are male and sows are female. Trouble is that 'man' means 'a human being' or 'mankind' - and that is the first meaning given in the Chambers Dictionary (which many Countdowners do not use because Susie doesn't).
Yes, it also means 'human male' and I prefer not to use in the general sense, but strictly speaking you can.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Bosley wrote:As George says, pigs are general and boars are male and sows are female. Trouble is that 'man' means 'a human being' or 'mankind' - and that is the first meaning given in the Chambers Dictionary (which many Countdowners do not use because Susie doesn't).
Yes, it also means 'human male' and I prefer not to use in the general sense, but strictly speaking you can.
All this quibbling about the meaning of "man" is irrelevant because the Bible was not written in English.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Roe wrote:But Lot was Jewish, so nothing to do with Christmas.
Jesus was also Jewish.
But was Jewsus Jeish?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Bosley wrote:As George says, pigs are general and boars are male and sows are female. Trouble is that 'man' means 'a human being' or 'mankind' - and that is the first meaning given in the Chambers Dictionary (which many Countdowners do not use because Susie doesn't).
All this quibbling about the meaning of "man" is irrelevant because the Bible was not written in English.

Who is talking about the bible? Certainly not me.