Books

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Books

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Anyone else here read (or will admit to having read) Dan Brown's new one, The Lost Symbol? I read it last week and I have to say it was a thoroughly entertaining romp. I know it's fashionable to sneer at Brown, and yes his prose style (to say nothing of his dialogue) is clunky in the extreme, and of course his characters are barely even one-dimensional... but fuck me the guy can't half spin a good yarn. And, as with the other two Langdon books, it brought to my notice some extraordinary pieces of art (particularly this) and architecture, including some bizarre quirks of several of the most famous structures in Washington, DC.

Brown does try to have his metaphysical cake and eat it, inasmuch as he hints at the existence of paranormal abilities while stopping short of making his plot depend on them, which will annoy some readers but didn't bother me - his approach allows you to enjoy the story while believing whatever you want to believe. I also found one of the major "shock" revelations towards the end laughably predictable. Again, didn't really spoil it for me. Forget the improbabilities, enjoy the pace.

Changing the subject to a different sort of book entirely: if you watched last night's Doctor Who to the end, you'll have seen a dedication to the memory of Barry Letts, the show's producer during the Jon Pertwee era, whose influence Russell T Davies has cited as being among the most important in shaping Who's modern rebirth. Barry died on 9 October, two days after I'd sent his autobiography (which I designed and typeset) to the printers. We managed to hold the press while we added a postscript from his family, and the planned publication date of November 14 was still met. It's an excellent read for anyone interested in a formative period in Doctor Who history, television production techniques from that era, or just behind-the-scenes gossip in general.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Re: Books

Post by David Roe »

Dan Brown's a bit like Jeffrey Archer then?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

David Roe wrote:Dan Brown's a bit like Jeffrey Archer then?
Never read any Archer. Wasn't it he to whom Clive Anderson said, "Your new book - I found once I put it down I just couldn't pick it up again".
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
David Roe wrote:Dan Brown's a bit like Jeffrey Archer then?
Never read any Archer. Wasn't it he to whom Clive Anderson said, "Your new book - I found once I put it down I just couldn't pick it up again".
Kane and Abel is not a bad read.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

I couldn't put Kane and Abel down when I read it many years ago. The day after I finished it I posted it to my mother for her to read and she enjoyed it too. However, I've never read any other Jeffrey Archer books. I rather think his reputation put me off, although I know it shouldn't.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I am half way through Lost Symbol at the moment.

I agree that Dan Brown has some cracking ideas for stories. But I'm afraid I am in the camp that doesn't think he's much of a writer really. And his endings drive me mad - he just hasn't worked out how to end his books yet. I think he'd be better if he employed a decent writer to write up his concepts for him.

I have, however, read pretty much all of his books but I normally only read his books on holiday or when desperate (I finished all my library books last week and haven't had chance to visit the library yet so I'm reading Lost Sysmbol as James got it for his birthday and it was lying around).

I have to use the library as I read at least 1 book a week (3-4 a week on holiday) and I couldn't afford to feed my habit if I had to buy them!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:I couldn't put Kane and Abel down when I read it many years ago. The day after I finished it I posted it to my mother for her to read and she enjoyed it too. However, I've never read any other Jeffrey Archer books. I rather think his reputation put me off, although I know it shouldn't.

Same happened to me - and I know I read another one, maybe 'Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less', but it was when I was in my teens I think. Can't stand the smarmy git now so wouldn't dream of reading his stuff.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Dan Brown is the John and Edward of modern fiction, entertaining but cheap nasty shallow talentless trash.

I'm currently reading It by Stephen King, incredible.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Well, I've finished Lost Symbol. I'm afraid I found the ending disappointing again. I would liken it to eating cheap chocolate. Seems fine at first but by the time you've finished the bar, you wish you hadn't had so much. I'm not being a literary snob because I pretty much only read popular thrillers (Cornwell, Grisham, Reichs, Kellerman, Connelly etc) but I just wish Dan Brown would learn how to end his novels a bit better.

I do agree, however, with Phil that it draws your attention to some pieces of art and architecture so it does have some educational value. I recently got a book out the library by Jonathan Santlofer called Killing Art and that was also quite interesting in that I learnt a bit about modern art.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Just finished this and I agree with Karen, fantastic book, but a disappointing finish.

I have read 'Digital Fortress' and found it very enjoyable, but this was much better. His books are right up my street, with puzzles, mazes, trails etc. I have started the Da Vinci Code, and am about a quarter of the way through it and it's brilliant so far.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I recommend Ian Stewart's mathematical books. Good read and you learn from them too.