Unintended gaffes

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Unintended gaffes

Post by Sue Sanders »

There's a programme on C5 right now about licencing sex shops. The inspector checking out one premises has just said to the store owner....'right, I'm going to shoot off now'

:shock: Not what he meant - I'm sure. Any more tales of unintended gaffs to tell??
Last edited by Sue Sanders on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Unintended gaffs

Post by James Robinson »

Is the title an unintended gaffe :?:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This is probably the funniest piece of "missing the full stop on the autocue" ever.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

James Robinson wrote:Is the title an unintended gaffe :?:
Yes. To keep you on your toes.
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:This is probably the funniest piece of "missing the full stop on the autocue" ever.
:lol:
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Unintended gaffes

Post by Matt Morrison »

From MSN Messenger chatting with Charlie:
Matt [here he is] wrote:(21:32): http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2789
(21:32): fancy a sweepstake on which annoying fool's going to say "your spelling, sue" ? :)
Charlie wrote:(21:35): game over already
(21:35): amazing
Charlie Reams wrote:This is probably the funniest piece of "missing the full stop on the autocue" ever.
Brilliant!
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

WARNING _ THIS POST MENTIONS A PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON THEFEMALE DOWNSTAIRS AREA

I was rather amused by a very enthusiastic junior doctor whose manner was charmingly lively and chatty as he performed my smear test. When he'd finished he paused at the door and said 'nice to have seen you' How lovely!!
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:From MSN Messenger chatting with Charlie:
Matt [here he is] wrote:(21:32): http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2789
(21:32): fancy a sweepstake on which annoying fool's going to say "your spelling, sue" ? :)
Charlie wrote:(21:35): game over already
(21:35): amazing
Coulda been worse - Derek might not have picked up my cock up of 'licencing' and messengered me as quickly as he did. That's the 'late, great' Derek, to his friends.
Brilliant!
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm certainly not going to bite on your quoting fail, as it's almost certainly an ironic 'deliberate' gaffe set to catch us out. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I can't believe there's a person alive who hasn't seen this by now, but to me it's the funniest news gaffe ever. Or maybe this one, I can't decide.

NB Given the rich river of pedantry which flows through this board, I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the obvious tautology of the thread title.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm certainly not going to bite on your quoting fail, as it's almost certainly an ironic 'deliberate' gaffe set to catch us out. ;)
'C minus.
Sanders - are you deliberately trying to fail?'
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:I can't believe there's a person alive who hasn't seen this by now, but to me it's the funniest news gaffe ever. Or maybe this one, I can't decide.

NB Given the rich river of pedantry which flows through this board, I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the obvious tautology of the thread title.
I make intended gaffes all the time (tongue poking out smilie here -> <- which I could probably upload and add to post if I put my mind to it)
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

One day in March 2006 I was working at a client's office where we had the radio on and, following the midday news, heard something that made me snort with glee. The fact that it came from the gob of that prize prick Jeremy Vine made it all the sweeter.

All afternoon I was thinking "will it still be there on Listen Again by the time I get home or will they have edited it out?"

The answer is captured for posterity here.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:NB Given the rich river of pedantry which flows through this board, I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the obvious tautology of the thread title.
I think our friend Microsoft Word would regard this as a gaffe.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:One day in March 2006 I was working at a client's office where we had the radio on and, following the midday news, heard something that made me snort with glee. The fact that it came from the gob of that prize prick Jeremy Vine made it all the sweeter.

All afternoon I was thinking "will it still be there on Listen Again by the time I get home or will they have edited it out?"

The answer is captured for posterity here.
Thank you, Phil. I momentarily stopped breathing there! (Don't say ANYTHING, Reams!!!!!)
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I heard a rather lovely one from Lisa Tarbuck where she obviously just disengaged her brain for a moment on radio two. She was sitting in on someone's show along with Martin Freeman and they'd been talking about strange things you put in your mouth. Then Martin moved on and started talking about an old school friend - Dean someone, and then apropos to nothing, Lisa just said 'and have you ever had your friend Dean in your mouth?' There was a pause, then you heard their quiet sniggers and Martin said' I think you've just got us sacked.' They went into a record and it was never mentioned again.
Fool's top.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Bill Tennant was a presenter on STV in the 60's.
Fanny Craddock was the guest chef and was making doughnuts.
After she finished Bill signed off by saying " And I hope all your doughnuts turn out like Fannies"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A couple of personal favourites from the radio, the first of which I've heard a recording of and the second which an old friend heard and told me about:
  • A newsreader struggling in vain to stay grave-voiced after informing the listeners that so-and-so had "died of a fartal hate attack".
  • The bandleader Billy Cotton introducing a live entertainment show on the BBC Light Programme, announcing "and now here's one for all you Sophie Fucker tans."
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Just read this in an old TV Times:
"Black Hollywood aims to highlight the black professionals' struggles against stereotypes in Hollywood. Most reports on Hollywood are starry-eyed, fawning - and false. This report is different - it describes a 'jungle' of angry talents pitted against a system designed to exclude them."
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

My son has been bought a "Leapfrog Fridge words" for his birthday (he's 3). One of the games is to enter a word it spells out to you. Earlier today it requested ram, then cub - leading to the following letter combinations:
RAM - CAM - CUM...
moving swiftly on...

And curiously after cub it requested pub - surely at the top of every 3yo's vocabulary?

Who says these things aren't educational? :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

A woman being interviewed on a holiday programme a few years ago was asked what she liked about Lanzarote. Her reply was meant to be "It's a great place to just spread your wings", instead of which she said "It's a great place to just spread your legs".
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Jack de Manio once got suspended for mispronouncing the word "Niger" when introducing a radio show called "Land of the Niger". It's not a double G, Jack. It really didn't help that the show was going out live to a special gala function at the Nigerian embassy with all possible BBC high-ups and Nigerian bigwigs present.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

When I worked for Specsavers, where patients were asked who their GP was, our computers were loaded up with a list of the names of all the local doctors so we'd only need to put in the first few letters. The default name was Dr King. I once typed in a patient's Gp without deleting the default. The Dr in question was Dr Cowan. So what I ended up with was.....
Dr Cowanking!
Fool's top.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

David Roe wrote:Jack de Manio once got suspended for mispronouncing the word "Niger" when introducing a radio show called "Land of the Niger". It's not a double G, Jack. It really didn't help that the show was going out live to a special gala function at the Nigerian embassy with all possible BBC high-ups and Nigerian bigwigs present.
Wasn't it also Jack de Manio who misread a news report about an invasion by Lebanese forces as "Lesbian forces"?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:Cowanking!
That's a tournament I'd attend.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Charlie Reams wrote:
What format would it take?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
What format would it take?
Best of 5(-knuckle shuffle).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote: Best of 5(-knuckle shuffle).
Best post ever.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I've remembered another good one.
I used to work at Weatherbys who are the admin arm of The Jockey Club and one of its tasks is registering names given to racehorses - checking a horse of that name hasn't run before, checking that the name isn't too similar to another, translating the foreign language ones to check they aren't rude (Pogue Mahone got rejected whilst I worked there). But a few before my time there, the 'department' consisted essentially of one lady, well into middle age whose unblemished mind was clearly not suspicious of one particular name, as, without running it by any second opinion, she gave it clearance. So for a couple of years there was a horse running whose name was Muff Diver!
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:I've remembered another good one.
I used to work at Weatherbys who are the admin arm of The Jockey Club and one of its tasks is registering names given to racehorses - checking a horse of that name hasn't run before, checking that the name isn't too similar to another, translating the foreign language ones to check they aren't rude (Pogue Mahone got rejected whilst I worked there). But a few before my time there, the 'department' consisted essentially of one lady, well into middle age whose unblemished mind was clearly not suspicious of one particular name, as, without running it by any second opinion, she gave it clearance. So for a couple of years there was a horse running whose name was Muff Diver!
Hoof Hearted is my favourite in this noble tradition.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I still think the Wrong Guy incident takes some beating. Another one I remember was the caption "extreme right Conservative party member" appearing on screen during a news report, leading the presenter to explain that 'extreme right' was intended as a camera instruction - although this being the BBC we'll never know whether he was just trying to dodge libel laws (is displayed text on TV classed as libel or slander?). The Catchphrase 'Snake Charmer' scene still makes me laugh as well - especially remembering that my brother (who was about 11 at the time) didn't understand what it looked like.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Another one I've just remembered from a description of Pheonix Nights (the italics are mine, in case it's too subtle for anyone.

'Former stand-up comic Peter Kay plays a wheelchair-bound nightclub owner....'
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Smith wrote: The Catchphrase 'Snake Charmer' scene still makes me laugh as well - especially remembering that my brother (who was about 11 at the time) didn't understand what it looked like.
Lest anyone hasn't seen it yet...
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Thanks for bumping this thread, Martin, I'd somehow missed it before.
I've actually cried with laughter reading it all through! :lol:
Charlie Reams wrote: Or maybe this one
So has racoon boy been to America? :mrgreen:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:Thanks for bumping this thread, Martin, I'd somehow missed it before.
I've actually cried with laughter reading it all through! :lol:
Charlie Reams wrote: Or maybe this one
So has racoon boy been to America? :mrgreen:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Julie T wrote:Damn - just remembered he's gay. :( ;)
Incorrect.
Well, at least my post fits in well with the thread subject title! :lol:
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Carol Vorderman, Countdown's mathematical wizard, says: "I did a request programme for a Leeds radio station for a couple of years. At the very end of one show a listener rang in asking for a mention for his daughter who was undergoing a hospital operation. I dedicated the final record, which was already on the turntable. It was Frank Sinatra, singing My Way. To my horror I heard him singing, 'And now the end is near . . .'. Not really appropriate!"
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I remember a couple of years ago, there was a documenty on about Juliana Wetmore, the little American girl who is known, due to most horrendous birth defects, as 'the girl without a face', Pretty much every feature on her face and head is horribly deformed, she's deaf, can barely talk and has to be fed through a tube

The first ad that came on during one commercial break was for 'Muller' yoghurt - the song 'Ain't Got No'....

Got my eyes, Got my ears, Got my nose,
Got my mouth, Got my smile.

:shock:
Fool's top.
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

There was a brilliant one I heard in a taxi the other week from Woman's Hour. Basically, the topic was female headteachers and how easy it is to break into the perceived patriarchy.

"Now, let's hear from Pam, who had to beat off 5 men to get her job as headteacher of x school."

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

from BBC news website today:

Photos of the Queen as a baby released to mark her 84th birthday

I read that as a baby being released into the wild to celebrate.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:from BBC news website today:

I have the mental image of a huge baby blimp...

EDIT: Also, isn't "Unintended gaffes" a tautology?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Matt Morrison wrote:from BBC news website today:

What's the actual interpretation of that headline supposed to be?

EDIT: worked it out now. I was pretty worried for a minute.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

BBC news website ambiguity again:

Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan becomes the first bowler to take 800 Test wickets on the final day of his Test career.

Sounds like one helluva long day.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:BBC news website ambiguity again:

Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan becomes the first bowler to take 800 Test wickets on the final day of his Test career.

Sounds like one helluva long day.
I think if Shane Warne was still playing, he would've had a shot at 800 wickets on the last day of Muralitharan's career.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

When's David Cameron going to apologise for his grotesque blunder in Washington:

"In 1940 we were the junior partners [to the USA]..."

In 1940 Britain didn't have any significant partners in its war against Germany, least of all the USA, where it was an imprisonable offence to take part in the war.

(Thanks to Al Streatfield at the Crossword Centre for reporting this.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Peter Mabey wrote:When's David Cameron going to apologise for his grotesque blunder in Washington:

"In 1940 we were the junior partners [to the USA]..."

In 1940 Britain didn't have any significant partners in its war against Germany, least of all the USA, where it was an imprisonable offence to take part in the war.

(Thanks to Al Streatfield at the Crossword Centre for reporting this.)
I imagine he meant to say 1940s rather than 1940. Not such a big deal.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Simon Weston was sat in the audience at Dancing On Ice last night, next to Denise Welch's husband. Denise had candles all round the ice rink during her skate, so straight after a close-up shot of the Simon in the audience, Philip Schofield made a quip about being concerned that Denise was going to skate off into the candles and go up in flames...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:Simon Weston was sat in the audience at Dancing On Ice last night, next to Denise Welch's husband. Denise had candles all round the ice rink during her skate, so straight after a close-up shot of the Simon in the audience, Philip Schofield made a quip about being concerned that Denise was going to skate off into the candles and go up in flames...

Wow.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The Sky News teletext had a headline that said "Man responsible for Britain's Floods". Well find the bastard and stop him. Obviously they meant mankind.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Just remembered a famous one that happened during Pope John Paul II's visit to Ireland. As he stepped off the plane at Dublin Airport and went into his usual schtick off kissing the ground, the band played "The Holy Ground" (a traditional Irish ballad). Very appropriate, you might think, if it weren't for the fact that the "Holy Ground" in question was actually a Liverpool whorehouse.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Simon Weston was sat in the audience at Dancing On Ice last night, next to Denise Welch's husband. Denise had candles all round the ice rink during her skate, so straight after a close-up shot of the Simon in the audience, Philip Schofield made a quip about being concerned that Denise was going to skate off into the candles and go up in flames...
What?

Edit - Oh, Simon Weston is that solider guy who got burnt.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm embarrassed to say I read today's headline "Jordan battles to regain 'priceless' Christian relics" as completely the wrong Jordan.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lol @ Matt :lol: (Though I dare say she's tried to get her hands on a Christian's relics at some point.)

There's a furniture shop in town that's erected a massive sign that's surely intended to read "The cheapest quality sofas in town", and actually reads "The cheapest quality sofas in town". Unfortunately the latter is true.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Another one from Sky teletext was "Student goes missing in Bath". He's probably hiding behind the shower curtain.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

The message on the big screen introducing John Bishop's "Elvis Has Left the Building" gig intimated that there was only one man in the audience. However, when the camera panned out I saw that this was incorrect.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

From BBC News today: London 2012: One million bid for Olympics 100m tickets

I was genuinely "no way, I thought the tickets would be really popular, how are they going to get rid of the other 99 million?"
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

What are the worst/funniest public gaffes that people have ever made/seen?

The worst I've ever seen is when a member of our synagogue called Adolf Hillel was celebrating his 90th birthday. I read his name in the news sheet and could sort of see it coming, but hoped that the warden who made the announcements at the end of the service would also have seen it coming and been extra careful. You can probably guess what he read off the news sheet and announced to the whole congregation (this isn't a cue for outlandish replies).

One of the funny (well, according to my family who remind me of it from time to time) ones that I've done was this: I was probably about 6 and had sat and watched a video on a trip to the Science Museum. I obviously learnt something from the video, because when we were eating spaghetti in a restaurant afterwards, I felt compelled to shout out "Sperm!" loud enough for all the other diners to hear.

Can't remember any particularly funny gaffes I've seen other people make. Might think of one at some point. Interested to hear some funny stories though (and maybe some cringeworthy ones too).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Was talking to a girl at college during a dorm event where there was a Dance Dance Revolution setup. I played a couple games out of boredom (I'm better than I should be at it) and we started talking. Somehow within two minutes I actually managed to convince her, from playing DDR, that I was at one point in my life a backup performer for a production of Riverdance, but we talked for a bit, and the following conversation came up:

Her: What dorm you live in?
Me: [my dorm]
Her: Oh, my brother lives there, he's on the second floor (of 8)!
Me: Oh, is he one of those jerks who takes the elevator to the 2nd floor? (There's quite a few people who did this. I was on floor 4 at the time and I hated when people did this without actually having a reason, I mean there's stairs come on)
Her: My brother has (some disease, I actually forgot which). He can't walk.

... 5 seconds of awkward silence, me apologising, and then me playing the hardest song on their DDR setup because a couple people saw me and wanted to see it, and a hasty exit ensued. We didn't say anything else to each other after the elevator exchange.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

From the pub quiz last night. Stupidity at its best.

Firstly one of the questions was read out as "How is the clacicle better known in the human body?" Everyone knows it should be "clavicle" and shouts this at the QM however he remains adamant and starts saying "but why is there a C in the word then?". I shouted "because V is next to C on a keyboard". Made him look like a right mug.

Secondly, and the best of the lot. The question was obviously written down on his sheet as "In which TV show could you hear the catchphrase "¿qué?" and I think you can guess what happens. He reads it as "queue/cue". Obviously when we heard it everyone was flummoxed. Lots of puzzled faces and exhaling of breath. I probed him and said is it "queue" as in the letter "Q" (thinking it could possibly be something James Bond related) but he said "no, it's spelt like a 'queue' that you stand in". Again everyone is all bemused. He senses something is not right and asks the barmaid and amazingly even she backs him up and says "oh yeah, yeah, it's a queue that you stand in". Eventually I asked him how is it spelt and he said "Q-U-E with a question mark at the end". The penny drops and everyone writes down the answer coupled with hurling him abuse and mocking him for his incompetence. You'd think it would stop there but no, he went on to say "well, I don't know bloody French do I?" Amateur.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:From the pub quiz last night. Stupidity at its best.

Firstly one of the questions was read out as "How is the clacicle better known in the human body?" Everyone knows it should be "clavicle" and shouts this at the QM however he remains adamant and starts saying "but why is there a C in the word then?". I shouted "because V is next to C on a keyboard". Made him look like a right mug.

Secondly, and the best of the lot. The question was obviously written down on his sheet as "In which TV show could you hear the catchphrase "¿qué?" and I think you can guess what happens. He reads it as "queue/cue". Obviously when we heard it everyone was flummoxed. Lots of puzzled faces and exhaling of breath. I probed him and said is it "queue" as in the letter "Q" (thinking it could possibly be something James Bond related) but he said "no, it's spelt like a 'queue' that you stand in". Again everyone is all bemused. He senses something is not right and asks the barmaid and amazingly even she backs him up and says "oh yeah, yeah, it's a queue that you stand in". Eventually I asked him how is it spelt and he said "Q-U-E with a question mark at the end". The penny drops and everyone writes down the answer coupled with hurling him abuse and mocking him for his incompetence. You'd think it would stop there but no, he went on to say "well, I don't know bloody French do I?" Amateur.
:lol: SUPER LIKE! ;) :) :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:From the pub quiz last night. Stupidity at its best.

Ha, minus one hundred points for using generic quizzes read by clueless muppets...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles