Unintended gaffes

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Re: Unintended gaffes

Post by Chris Davies »

Ryan Taylor wrote:From the pub quiz last night. Stupidity at its best.

Firstly one of the questions was read out as "How is the clacicle better known in the human body?" Everyone knows it should be "clavicle" and shouts this at the QM however he remains adamant and starts saying "but why is there a C in the word then?". I shouted "because V is next to C on a keyboard". Made him look like a right mug.

Secondly, and the best of the lot. The question was obviously written down on his sheet as "In which TV show could you hear the catchphrase "¿qué?" and I think you can guess what happens. He reads it as "queue/cue". Obviously when we heard it everyone was flummoxed. Lots of puzzled faces and exhaling of breath. I probed him and said is it "queue" as in the letter "Q" (thinking it could possibly be something James Bond related) but he said "no, it's spelt like a 'queue' that you stand in". Again everyone is all bemused. He senses something is not right and asks the barmaid and amazingly even she backs him up and says "oh yeah, yeah, it's a queue that you stand in". Eventually I asked him how is it spelt and he said "Q-U-E with a question mark at the end". The penny drops and everyone writes down the answer coupled with hurling him abuse and mocking him for his incompetence. You'd think it would stop there but no, he went on to say "well, I don't know bloody French do I?" Amateur.
Love this!

Funnily enough, the stupidest pub quiz incident I have seen is Countdown-related.
I was at a pub a few months ago, playing pool but casually listening to the pub quiz. One of the questions was. In TV gameshow 'Countdown', how many letters are there in each letters round?' The answer given by the quizmaster at the end?
...Eight. :roll:
Naturally, I told him the real answer and people who put 'nine' got the points (pretty much everyone).
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

A good pub quiz one I've heard is when the quiz master asks "What's the occupation of Paul McCartney's daughter?" Someone in the crowd then asks which one as he has two. The quiz master with a puzzled look on his face then says "Oh right, eh, the one that's a fashion designer". D'oh
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Isn't the title of this thread a tautology?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Volante wrote:Isn't the title of this thread a tautology?
Not quite two years late.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Isn't the title of this thread a tautology?
Not quite two years late.
One forgets which threads haven't been dissected yet...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

On tonight's WWTBAM:
Tarrant: So, Lee from Nuneaton, you've just won £65,000! What do you for a living?
Lee: I'm disabled
Tarrant: That's fantastic!

Might want to rephrase that one, Chris ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

From a report in our local paper today about the norovirus outbreak at Warwick Hospital:

"[Visitors are asked] not to bring food or come if they have had diarrhoea or sickness in the last 48 hours."