C4C Link Dump

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: C4C Link Dump

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Adam Gillard wrote:I thought you'd like that video, Ryan ;) (I expected you to be the first to comment). Also, I think someone got a little carried away with that comment you've quoted, Charlie! Anyway, I thought it was a fun video and those of you who enjoy popular music doubtless recognise the tune that is being covered.
It was actually pretty funny and I think I prefer it to Taio Cruz's.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I don't know if this is posted elsewhere but I'm guessing Michael Wallace has something to do with it. Although maybe not this one: "What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can't make a vita-min."

http://punraccoon.tumblr.com/
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I don't know if this is posted elsewhere but I'm guessing Michael Wallace has something to do with it. Although maybe not this one: "What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can't make a vita-min."

Haha. I have never seen that before and I have nothing to do with it. Brilliant.

(I say brilliant, I am plastered)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I don't know if this is posted elsewhere but I'm guessing Michael Wallace has something to do with it. Although maybe not this one: "What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can't make a vita-min."

Haha. I have never seen that before and I have nothing to do with it. Brilliant.

(I say brilliant, I am plastered)
Excellent, I'm glad you think it's brilliant!

There should also be a thread for a collection of drunken posts because I logged in to find drunken posts from you, Ben and Kirk this morning.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

The story of the Nativity (worth a gander ;) )
Lowering the averages since 2009
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote:http://www.documaga.com/wp-content/uplo ... iverse.swf

I thought this was pretty cool.
Yeah, that is.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I wrote "Krik Bevonde" on Kirk's status, just cos I felt like it. I wasn't aware he has been officially called that before.

Anyway, Heather, also for no good reason, decided to Google it.

Mental.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I'm not sure how I've not seen this before. As a mentalist control freak when it comes to making music, this would be the perfect band for me as everyone (thing) would do exactly as I instructed. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to build one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:I'm not sure how I've not seen this before. As a mentalist control freak when it comes to making music, this would be the perfect band for me as everyone (thing) would do exactly as I instructed. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to build one.
Good find.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:I'm not sure how I've not seen this before. As a mentalist control freak when it comes to making music, this would be the perfect band for me as everyone (thing) would do exactly as I instructed. Unfortunately I'm not clever enough to build one.
Good find.
I agree. It's ace :D
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Here's a film someone made using Grand Theft Auto 4. In lieu of the censorship discussion on the feature request thread on the apterous page I should probably point out it is for adults only.
You have been forewarned.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfhffw
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

And here's another word game people may enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompa ... v97NAFKPGo
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

An article published today; might be of interest: Chemical processes in the deep interior of Uranus

Snigger :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Some fucked up shit. Fucking idiots.
Thank God America didn't get any revenge for Pearl Harbor in any way possible, by say, killing 200,000 Japanese civilians or anything like that.

James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:Some fucked up shit. Fucking idiots.
Thank God America didn't get any revenge for Pearl Harbor in any way possible, by say, killing 200,000 Japanese civilians or anything like that.
Pearl Harbour is trending on Twitter as well. The guy at the top who thinks the Japanese started WWII made me chuckle, the twit
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Doohan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Some fucked up shit. Fucking idiots.
Pearl Harbour is trending on Twitter as well. The guy at the top who thinks the Japanese started WWII made me chuckle, the twit
My favourite was the guy who quoted Justin Timberlake.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I think my faith in humanity just feel out of my arse. Again.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jack Simmering wrote:those damn krauts deserve to be hit by a earthquake tsunami for nuking pearl harbor
Krauts? They can't even get their insults right.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

America makes me so angry. Its people are so arrogant and patriotic as to ignore one of the largest losses of life in human history, which they obviously caused.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kai Laddiman wrote:America makes me so angry. Its people are so arrogant and patriotic as to ignore one of the largest losses of life in human history, which they obviously caused.
It's not the fact that they're American, it's the fact that they're retarded. I'm sure you could make a similar collage of British morons at any time.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:America makes me so angry. Its people are so arrogant and patriotic as to ignore one of the largest losses of life in human history, which they obviously caused.
It's not the fact that they're American, it's the fact that they're retarded. I'm sure you could make a similar collage of British morons at any time.
A quick summary for those who don't want to click the link:

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fucked up shit is fucked up. People are crazy.

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Whoah. What bugs me about it all is that i'm/we're not more upset about this, about the middle east uprisings, etc. I feel like we should all stop and turn our attentions to these major events, but yet, Saturday night I was back playing tunes to a room full of drunk people again. The images are icredible. Like nothing I've ever seen. Like something out of a film. Still, i'm more fascinated than horrified. For this, I feel somewhat wrong.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson wrote:Whoah. What bugs me about it all is that i'm/we're not more upset about this, about the middle east uprisings, etc. I feel like we should all stop and turn our attentions to these major events, but yet, Saturday night I was back playing tunes to a room full of drunk people again. The images are icredible. Like nothing I've ever seen. Like something out of a film. Still, i'm more fascinated than horrified. For this, I feel somewhat wrong.
I felt like this back when the other Tsunami happened. I feel like I should feel bad, but I don't. I do feel fucking lucky though, and so should everyone in this society.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I think I have no concept of death tolls and things. 20,000, 100,000, 6 million, they don't really register on any kind of scale. I've only really had one close person die in my life, and that was awful, years on I still feel bad for the people closest to that dead person and how it's changed their lives. But I can't just multiply that by 100,000 and empathise.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Whoah. What bugs me about it all is that i'm/we're not more upset about this, about the middle east uprisings, etc. I feel like we should all stop and turn our attentions to these major events, but yet, Saturday night I was back playing tunes to a room full of drunk people again. The images are icredible. Like nothing I've ever seen. Like something out of a film. Still, i'm more fascinated than horrified. For this, I feel somewhat wrong.
I felt like this back when the other Tsunami happened. I feel like I should feel bad, but I don't. I do feel fucking lucky though, and so should everyone in this society.
Yeah. We watched Schindler's List in history recently and everyone is sad and crying but it made me wonder how anyone can be upset when that exact thing is happening right now for third world countries. I always wondered if the way we don't care about poor people will be looked back on with the same moral indignation the people who didn't stand up to the Nazis sometimes are.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Yeah. We watched Schindler's List in history recently and everyone is sad and crying but it made me wonder how anyone can be upset when that exact thing is happening right now for third world countries. I always wondered if the way we don't care about poor people will be looked back on with the same moral indignation the people who didn't stand up to the Nazis sometimes are.
It depends what you mean by care though. Obviously, there is actively helping ang giving money, but when it comes to properly emotionally caring about everyone's plight, when you consider how many people in the world are in crap situations, you wouldn't be able to do anything else. There's no point in just being upset the whole time.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Someone i know posted this on facebook and another person pitched in that it is perhaps not legit and that she is a 'troll'. Then, having recently seen the Jon Cryer troll thing, thus being reminded of trolls, I noticed, holy sh!t, she looks a bit like one!

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Here's a link to cheer everyone up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbAT1wzS8U
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Andy, I checked her previous videos - she's been posting such stuff for 8 months or so. I decided that was enough to make her real. A real cunt.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Lego rules and this is amazing: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/72542
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Not exactly a link to dump but I've had this copy of the Economist lying around ready to scan in for quite a bit now and finally got round to it. Basically I just quite like the front cover and wondered if it would be any use as a picture quiz round i.e. picking like 10 out and showing them the outline of the state with the changed name on. But then I realised there aren't many ones that would actually stump anyone so it was just wishful thinking.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This has amused quite a few people.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:This has amused quite a few people.
Ha yep, Jeff Burgin (of Countdown fame) posted it on facebook the other day, genuinely made me laugh.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

This is catchy. And the winner was Prii.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

When I heard last year that a couple of friends of mine were involved in making a 'Drink Responsibly' cinema ad for Coventry City Council, I was expecting it to be a bit lame. But it's actually not.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image
iron man 2 is one of them i think
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Marc Meakin wrote:iron man 2 is one of them i think
I was thinking of Cross of Iron for that one.

Is the first one simply The Matrix or is there more to it than that?

I wondered whether the second one might be classic SF fave Phase IV but not sure if that's well known enough for this kind of quiz.

Is the fourth one The Birds (i.e. the superset of all objects of type bird)? Really getting desperate now.

Matt, as none of the real mathematicians seem interested in having a go are you going to give us the answers soon?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I think the second one is just "Signs" (sines).

Oh, and apparently there's been several films called "Complex", so that could be the ninth one.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just in case people were wondering and couldn't be arsed finding them the answers to the movie thing were;

1: The Matrix (1999)
2: Signs (2002)
3: Ball Of Fire (1941)
4: Duck soup (1933)
5: Cross Of Iron (1977)
6: The Social Network (2010)
7: Sin City (2005)
8: Heat (1995)
9: Goldeneye (1995)
10: Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Not sure where people were getting Iron Man 2 from. Fe means Iron sure but where are you getting the Man from. And also, if the clue was Fe + Fe I could see where you're coming from but Fe X Fe would be iron man squared.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What Mark said. :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That Beauty and the Beast one - I've never got why people write e^iπ + 1 = 0 rather than just e^iπ = -1.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:That Beauty and the Beast one - I've never got why people write e^iπ + 1 = 0 rather than just e^iπ = -1.
There's something nice about having all of the Big Five constants in one expression, although depending on your field people might argue about which five those should be.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:That Beauty and the Beast one - I've never got why people write e^iπ + 1 = 0 rather than just e^iπ = -1.
There's something nice about having all of the Big Five constants in one expression, although depending on your field people might argue about which five those should be.
I think it's a bit of a fudge though doing it that way.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

"e to the i pi plus one equals nought" has a nice rhythm to it :D

(I have a vague memory of a poem - possibly a rondeau - in which that is a refrain, but haven't been able to find it. Could have been in Eureka, occasional journal of the Archimedeans, but can't find my copy :roll: :( )
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I think it's a bit of a fudge though doing it that way.
Agreed, but you have to cut zero a bit of slack, since it doesn't do anything interesting with any of the basic operators so you always have to shoehorn it in.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Two impressive robotic things of the day:

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Some quite impressive robot things. I'm not sure what's going on with the glorified spatula - is it anything to do with robotics, or is it just a very good spatula?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/

Some of you sciency people might be interested in the above.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:When I heard last year that a couple of friends of mine were involved in making a 'Drink Responsibly' cinema ad for Coventry City Council, I was expecting it to be a bit lame. But it's actually not.
Watch it with YouTube's new "1911" feature enabled. Then watch your own favourite YouTube clip the same way. You'll gag. Then watch the rest of your day disappear.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

In future, all cars should be sold like this.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Spelling mistakes on Facebook and the way people react to them:
http://www.someecards.com/2011/04/06/th ... n-facebook

A few of these made me do good chuckles.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »