Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

As I discovered the other day, in fact, when some of the COLIN titles on the wiki had l rather than I by mistake.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm Visually , on a computer or phone , is there a difference between an upper case I and a lower case l ?
It might depend on the font. But anyway that's why I call Linkedln Linkedln. Linked natural logarithm. IlIlIl. Yeah, they're different here. The ell is taller.
Also, in the Trebuchet font that c4c uses, the base of the l has a little curve to the right that isn't there on the I. In many other fonts they're identical.
Not on my phone though. It's only curved for me on my laptop!

As I was on my phone when I wrote the other message and read yours, I was unaware of the difference, but since I've moved onto my laptop I can see it. I wondered if it might be something to do with the difference between the Prosilver and Aerogreen skins, but I can't even find how to use Aerogreen now.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm Also, in the Trebuchet font that c4c uses, the base of the l has a little curve to the right that isn't there on the I. In many other fonts they're identical.
Never would have occurred to me to browse C4C on my phone, but anyway I just tried it and, in Safari on my iPhone 5 at least, it uses Trebuchet the same as on my PC, with the curved l.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:15 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm Also, in the Trebuchet font that c4c uses, the base of the l has a little curve to the right that isn't there on the I. In many other fonts they're identical.
Never would have occurred to me to browse C4C on my phone, but anyway I just tried it and, in Safari on my iPhone 5 at least, it uses Trebuchet the same as on my PC, with the curved l.
Are you one of those people who only use their phone to make calls and texts 😁
I use my phone so much , the last time I opened a lap top I kept trying to swipe the screen
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Tue May 19, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I still can't tell the difference , I feel like someone who had a black and white TV when Ted Lowe uttered those immortal lines ' For those of you watching in black and white the pink is next to the green '
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Things I'm worrying about...

Babies. In the first few months/year of life babies need to be exposed to germs to prime their immune systems. Babies who live with pets, for example, have fewer allergies and generally better health. Isolating babies so no colds or similar are caught has unknown longterm effects on general health.

Are we going to end up with kids born in 2020 that are far more susceptible to ill-health?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm Things I'm worrying about...

Babies. In the first few months/year of life babies need to be exposed to germs to prime their immune systems. Babies who live with pets, for example, have fewer allergies and generally better health. Isolating babies so no colds or similar are caught has unknown longterm effects on general health.

Are we going to end up with kids born in 2020 that are far more susceptible to ill-health?
Boy in the bubble could become commonplace

We have come along way though , it was only a hundred years or so we was forcing them to go up chimneys , now we won't even force then to go back to school
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm Things I'm worrying about...

This is quite interesting, but I'm not sure that actually getting colds is necessary. There's a New Scientist article that talks about this sort of thing. You have to be subscribed to read it, but I can quote:
Yes, microbes and our contact with them is vital to our health, but the devil is in the detail. It is now thought that during human evolution, microbes evolved an essential role in regulating our immune system. The most promising theories suggest that the microbes involved in this aren’t those that cause infections, but friendly microbes that make up our diverse human microbiome.

These are acquired by exposure to other people and animals, and from our natural environment. They ensure that our immune system doesn’t overreact to harmless stimuli like pollen, foods and our own tissues. Without them, we are at higher risk of developing allergies and immune disorders like type 2 diabetes or multiple sclerosis.

A range of lifestyle changes including an increase in C-section births, less breastfeeding, smaller family sizes and less time outdoors are now seen as the likely causes of reduced exposure to friendly microbes, together with altered diet and antibiotic use, which adversely affect the composition of our microbiome.

But there is little evidence that personal or household cleanliness – as suggested by the hygiene hypothesis – is involved. The common childhood infections that hygiene measures are designed to combat appeared much too late in our evolutionary history to have evolved an essential role in the development of our immune system.
But stuff like not going outside during lockdown could be a problem, and perhaps not mixing with other people (although not necessarily to get their illnesses).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:40 pm
Fiona T wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm Isolating babies so no colds or similar are caught has unknown longterm effects on general health.
This is quite interesting, but I'm not sure that actually getting colds is necessary.
I don't think Fiona was saying that colds themselves are beneficial, rather that isolating babies with the aim of preventing them catching unwanted infections has the unintended side effect of reducing their exposure to other, beneficial microbes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am
Fiona T wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm Isolating babies so no colds or similar are caught has unknown longterm effects on general health.
This is quite interesting, but I'm not sure that actually getting colds is necessary.
I don't think Fiona was saying that colds themselves are beneficial, rather that isolating babies with the aim of preventing them catching unwanted infections has the unintended side effect of reducing their exposure to other, beneficial microbes.
I think she was saying that colds or similar might turn out to be beneficial. Because it's the coronavirus we're trying to isolate them from (not colds), and the unintended side effect is reducing their exposure to colds or similar. That's why she brought colds up!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:11 pm
I think she was saying that colds or similar might turn out to be beneficial. Because it's the coronavirus we're trying to isolate them from (not colds), and the unintended side effect is reducing their exposure to colds or similar. That's why she brought colds up!
No, she started with the general (pre-COVID) case of people misguidedly isolating babies to stop them getting colds, which has unknown long-term effects. She then moved on to the specific case of babies in 2020 being isolated because everyone is, and wondering whether this means we're rearing a generation of children susceptible to ill-health. That's my reading of it anyway. I've just re-read Fiona's post and confirmed my impression.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:11 pm

No, she started with the general (pre-COVID) case of people misguidedly isolating babies to stop them getting colds, which has unknown long-term effects. She then moved on to the specific case of babies in 2020 being isolated because everyone is, and wondering whether this means we're rearing a generation of children susceptible to ill-health. That's my reading of it anyway. I've just re-read Fiona's post and confirmed my impression.
I think it comes down to a different reading of the word "so".

You read it as "Isolating babies [with the intention that] no colds or similar are caught".
I read it as "Isolating babies [with the result that] no colds or similar are caught".

I think I read it my way because of the "unknown longterm effects" which suggested to me it wasn't something people previously did (with e.g. colds).

So there you go. Fiona will be reading this thinking "WTF is with the analysis of my post?"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 pm Fiona will be reading this thinking "WTF is with the analysis of my post?"
Perhaps we should wait for her to come back.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 pm Fiona will be reading this thinking "WTF is with the analysis of my post?"
She is still drafting her Dominic Cummings post
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm
She is still drafting her Dominic Cummings post
She's blocked every mention of DC on facebook cos it's all driving her fecking mental and has no intention of getting involved here :)

I did mean exposure to germs generally (and I did think colds helped to prime an immune response, but apparently not!) but friendly microbes probably also fit the bill. The point being that normally babies would have been exposed to all sorts of things outside their home environment which isn't happening now. I'll do some more googling...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

There is a saying about children eating a peck of dirt.
Edit
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/yo ... re+you+die
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If an asteroid like the one that killed the dinosaurs stuck again tomorrow (same weight, size, speed, location etc.) what would happen? Would we go extinct or would we somehow survive it with our ability to adapt?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 am If an asteroid like the one that killed the dinosaurs stuck again tomorrow (same weight, size, speed, location etc.) what would happen? Would we go extinct or would we somehow survive it with our ability to adapt?
I guess we would know it was coming so I guess all the amount of people that could fit in nuclear shelters would have the best chance to survive.
Astronauts on the ISS would survive....until their food supplies run out.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:34 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 am If an asteroid like the one that killed the dinosaurs stuck again tomorrow (same weight, size, speed, location etc.) what would happen? Would we go extinct or would we somehow survive it with our ability to adapt?
I guess we would know it was coming...
Exactly. We could send Bruce Willis up there to sort out before it hits.

But nah, if it hit we'd probably all die.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm not sure if this is really the thread for this because I have the answer. But anyway, you know that annoying Domino's Pizza advert that plays on All 4 when you're going to watch Countdown? It has this song playing and when the advert starts you think "Oh what does that song remind me of?"

Anyway I found out today that the song that's playing is Can't Get Through to You by Nemi. But that's not the important bit. The song you couldn't quite work out what it was is Tell it to My Heart by Taylor Dayne. You are very welcome.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:48 pm
Anyway I found out today that the song that's playing is Can't Get Through to You by Nemi. But that's not the important bit. The song you couldn't quite work out what it was is Tell it to My Heart by Taylor Dayne. You are very welcome.
As soon as I heard the first clip I thought it was the song of the second clip. It didn't really work for me
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Dexter wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:48 pm
As soon as I heard the first clip I thought it was the song of the second clip. It didn't really work for me
So you got it straight away anyway without being told? You probably have good knowledge of 80s music. Have you seen the Domino's Pizza advert? What do you mean it didn't work though?
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:18 am
So you got it straight away anyway without being told? You probably have good knowledge of 80s music. Have you seen the Domino's Pizza advert? What do you mean it didn't work though?
Sorry I wasn't really clear.

I haven't seen said advert in the flesh so to speak. What I meant was you saying "the song you couldn't quite work out" was X didn't work for me as when I heard the Domino's advert I thought it was Tell It To My Heart.

Yes 80s is my favourite period bolstered somewhat by a diet of Radio 2/ Greatest Hits Radio.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

What was and what will be the longest lasting fashion trend? Just watching the latest QI episode and they're all wearing ruffs? How long was stuff like that in fashion for? Was it longer than a century? The three piece suit has been around for over a century by know, albeit with different styles but it must be a contender for a long lasting fashion. If you were to look at a suit from say the 1920s and compare it to now there wouldn't be much in the difference. Probably a hat to go with it would be the better indicator of the era it came from. I think the ultimate though will be jeans and a t-shirt. I just can't imagine that look never being around.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why do you still get police horses? This is something that I'm surprised existed in the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 pm What was and what will be the longest lasting fashion trend? Just watching the latest QI episode and they're all wearing ruffs? How long was stuff like that in fashion for? Was it longer than a century? The three piece suit has been around for over a century by know, albeit with different styles but it must be a contender for a long lasting fashion. If you were to look at a suit from say the 1920s and compare it to now there wouldn't be much in the difference. Probably a hat to go with it would be the better indicator of the era it came from. I think the ultimate though will be jeans and a t-shirt. I just can't imagine that look never being around.
I don't know. Some trends have an advantage over others. Like a T-shirt is quite a basic concept, whereas a three piece suit is more complex and specific, so it should get more points for lasting a given amount of time. If we're talking about specifically denim jeans, they are more specific than T-shirts, and I could see them disappearing over time.

And while we're here - why is it that people think it's hilarious that I tend to wear the same two or three colours of sweatshirt all the time when most of these cunts spend their entire existence in blue jeans? There really is no fucking difference.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

What is Pinterest for?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

And while we're here - why is it that people think it's hilarious that I tend to wear the same two or three colours of sweatshirt all the time when most of these cunts spend their entire existence in blue jeans? There really is no fucking difference.
It's not in the hilarious in the you're-wrong kind of sense - especially to me since I do basically the same as you and get away with it because the colours are more muted, and I also agree with you on the jeans. It's just fun how soothingly consistent it is with you. It's nice to have fewer variables in life.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:24 pm
It's not in the hilarious in the you're-wrong kind of sense - especially to me since I do basically the same as you and get away with it because the colours are more muted, and I also agree with you on the jeans. It's just fun how soothingly consistent it is with you. It's nice to have fewer variables in life.
Well I probably won't change the habit any time soon, you'll be pleased to hear.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Mark James wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 pm Just watching the latest QI episode and they're all wearing ruffs? How long was stuff like that in fashion for? Was it longer than a century?
I used to sing in church choir and we wore ruffs so still ongoing. I suppose that may not count as fashion though as I wouldn't have worn one down the street.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

How come some live football tv shows never show crew credits at the end of the programme? The poor sound engineers, camera operators and directors never get a look in despite doing what's arguably a harder job than scripted shows.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm How come some live football tv shows never show crew credits at the end of the programme? The poor sound engineers, camera operators and directors never get a look in despite doing what's arguably a harder job than scripted shows.
Maybe, but then people that happen to work in jobs that don't have anything to do with television never get their names broadcast either. But yeah, if there are credits, they should probably be included.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:08 pm
Mark James wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm How come some live football tv shows never show crew credits at the end of the programme? The poor sound engineers, camera operators and directors never get a look in despite doing what's arguably a harder job than scripted shows.
Maybe, but then people that happen to work in jobs that don't have anything to do with television never get their names broadcast either. But yeah, if there are credits, they should probably be included.
I presume it's a contractual thing. However, I note that there's always a vast credit list at the end of a major event such as the Olympics.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Where is Jim Bentley?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm Where is Jim Bentley?
Have you really always wanted this answered?
If so that's pretty weird.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 pm Where is Jim Bentley?
Have you really always wanted this answered?
I could ask the same about this. Because:
If so that's pretty weird.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Where is love ?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

How do you say 15 days in French?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:49 am How do you say 15 days in French?
Quinze jours de boulanger
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:49 am How do you say 15 days in French?
Quinze jours de boulanger
Like a baker's dozen? Nice.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

May be fast to answer by searching YouTube clips (CBA), but if the word “octochamp” wasn’t coined until 1999, what did the producers and staff call them before then? Did they just say “eight time retiring champion” or somesuch every time? Seems to me they would be a pretty important concept to talk about when scheduling people’s filming times.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:03 pm May be fast to answer by searching YouTube clips (CBA), but if the word “octochamp” wasn’t coined until 1999, what did the producers and staff call them before then? Did they just say “eight time retiring champion” or somesuch every time? Seems to me they would be a pretty important concept to talk about when scheduling people’s filming times.
Like a lot of things you don't really miss what you never had. They would have just said something like "x has won their 8th game so is retiring until coming back for the quarter finals."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why is the delete left button called backspace? It doesn't remotely describe what it does.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 pm Why is the delete left button called backspace? It doesn't remotely describe what it does.
According to Wikipedia, on a typewriter it did literally go back a character, allowing accents to be added to the preceding letter.

It doesn't say why it ended up with its current use, but I guess it's the most sensible use of an existing key.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Cappleman wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:51 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:31 pm Why is the delete left button called backspace? It doesn't remotely describe what it does.
According to Wikipedia, on a typewriter it did literally go back a character, allowing accents to be added to the preceding letter.

It doesn't say why it ended up with its current use, but I guess it's the most sensible use of an existing key.
I did actually look it up after posting (I had to do it after or I couldn't justify the post) and it does seem to just be a historic thing. I wonder what the Windows key did on typewriters. I'm not looking that up though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why is purple not one of the "official" named colours of the rainbow? If you look this up, you get answers like "There's no such thing as purple light." etc. But they're missing the point. Look at the last colour of the rainbow. It's purple. That's the colour it is. Indigo and violet aren't really "standard" colours anyway. And that's the other thing. Why seven colours? Why not have purple as the sixth and be done with it?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 pm Why is purple not one of the "official" named colours of the rainbow? If you look this up, you get answers like "There's no such thing as purple light." etc. But they're missing the point. Look at the last colour of the rainbow. It's purple. That's the colour it is. Indigo and violet aren't really "standard" colours anyway. And that's the other thing. Why seven colours? Why not have purple as the sixth and be done with it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum#History
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:10 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 pm Why is purple not one of the "official" named colours of the rainbow? If you look this up, you get answers like "There's no such thing as purple light." etc. But they're missing the point. Look at the last colour of the rainbow. It's purple. That's the colour it is. Indigo and violet aren't really "standard" colours anyway. And that's the other thing. Why seven colours? Why not have purple as the sixth and be done with it?
OK, thanks. So it is just arbitrary basically.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Can you buy plum juice ?
Apple , Apricots , Clementines ,grapes, Oranges , Mango and Pineapples etc. all have juices but you get prune juice rather than plum juice
Go figure !!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:49 pm
Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:10 pm
OK, thanks. So it is just arbitrary basically.
I suppose the thing that annoys me about it is that people treat it like it's an objective thing. You might get a quiz question asking how many colours there are in the rainbow or what's the fifth colour etc. But these aren't proper facts about rainbows.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 pm I suppose the thing that annoys me about it is that people treat it like it's an objective thing. You might get a quiz question asking how many colours there are in the rainbow or what's the fifth colour etc. But these aren't proper facts about rainbows.
Yeah, agreed. When I wrote a quiz recently that included a question on rainbows I covered the bases by starting the question "Traditionally, what colour..."
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why can't you throw a dart underarm 😀
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

When I Google an unknown number that's called me I get hundreds of results from similar looking websites, many with similar sounding names, like whocallsme.com, who-called.co.uk, who-calls.me.uk, shouldianswer.co.uk, unknownphone.com and countless others.

Is there a site that's generally recognised as the official (or best) place to do reverse number look-ups?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:38 pm When I Google an unknown number that's called me I get hundreds of results from similar looking websites, many with similar sounding names, like whocallsme.com, who-called.co.uk, who-calls.me.uk, shouldianswer.co.uk, unknownphone.com and countless others.

Is there a site that's generally recognised as the official (or best) place to do reverse number look-ups?
In my experience, there was an early leader in terms of actual useful look-ups a few years ago. However, the proliferation of these sites, plus the vast and changing numbers of spam callers makes it nigh-on impossible to get much useful information from any of them.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Why won't the oven work unless the clock is set?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why won't my oven work?

Edit - Oh, Mark Deeks hasn't set his clock. I guess no cooking will be done in the country tonight.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm Why won't the oven work unless the clock is set?
My (Neff) oven does this too. It's to rid the world of the scourge of people's oven clocks blinking midnight.

On a related note, why does my oven display midnight as "24:00"? And why is it only midnight that gets the 24 treatment? It goes 23:59, 24:00, 00:01.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm On a related note, why does my oven display midnight as "24:00"? And why is it only midnight that gets the 24 treatment? It goes 23:59, 24:00, 00:01.
I see the 00:00/24:00 question for 24-hour time as the same as the am/pm question for 12-hour time. Basically when it's exactly midnight (or midday but we're talking about midnight here), it's neither am or pm. You're in this weird transition phase, but only for an infinitesimal amount of time. And similarly, it's not 00:00 or 24:00 at exactly midnight, or alternatively it could be said to be both. Both or neither - they're both in an equal position anyway. So I see it as equally legitimate for it to flick over to 24:00 or 00:00 at midnight. Obviously for the rest of that minute, you might argue that it should say 00:00, but when you have a clock without seconds, the time rounds down so I say it's OK to show 24:00 for a whole minute. I quite like a clock to say 24:00, because otherwise you've had this 24-hour build up and you never reach the goal. So it's a more satisfactory conclusion to the day.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am
Graeme Cole wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm On a related note, why does my oven display midnight as "24:00"? And why is it only midnight that gets the 24 treatment? It goes 23:59, 24:00, 00:01.
I see the 00:00/24:00 question for 24-hour time as the same as the am/pm question for 12-hour time. Basically when it's exactly midnight (or midday but we're talking about midnight here), it's neither am or pm. You're in this weird transition phase, but only for an infinitesimal amount of time. And similarly, it's not 00:00 or 24:00 at exactly midnight, or alternatively it could be said to be both. Both or neither - they're both in an equal position anyway. So I see it as equally legitimate for it to flick over to 24:00 or 00:00 at midnight. Obviously for the rest of that minute, you might argue that it should say 00:00, but when you have a clock without seconds, the time rounds down so I say it's OK to show 24:00 for a whole minute. I quite like a clock to say 24:00, because otherwise you've had this 24-hour build up and you never reach the goal. So it's a more satisfactory conclusion to the day.
Thinking about this a bit more - as I said, if you had seconds, you'd have to have 00:00 for anything after zero seconds, but that also works the other way - e.g. if you had the date. If tonight the date flicked over to 16/10/20 but the time said 24:00, then it would suggest that it's the end of the 16th. And you also wouldn't want to "fix" this by having the date wrong for a whole minute. So you could instead just have the time go from 23:59 to 24:00 for about a tenth of a second before it changes to 00:00, just to acknowledge that the whole day has been completed and nothing has been left hanging.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Have we had the debate on when the 21st Century started.
Is it January 1st 2000?