Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 am

How is water wasted? My mum always used to have a go at me for wasting water, leaving taps on etc, but surely it just goes back into the system. Surely water is either in the human man made sewage/plumbing system, a river, the sea, the sky, or the ground making its way down to the water table? If it is true that some of the water we drink will also once have been dinosaur piss (a fact I read somewhere that stuck with me and that may not be a fact), how can it also be "wasted" if it is that inexhaustible?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:05 am
How is water wasted? My mum always used to have a go at me for wasting water, leaving taps on etc, but surely it just goes back into the system. Surely water is either in the human man made sewage/plumbing system, a river, the sea, the sky, or the ground making its way down to the water table? If it is true that some of the water we drink will also once have been dinosaur piss (a fact I read somewhere that stuck with me and that may not be a fact), how can it also be "wasted" if it is that inexhaustible?
In many places, water is drawn from fresh water aquifers via wells or whatever, and they have a finite capacity - basically, fresh water is very limited and is becoming more so. Most water is salty, and it takes a lot of energy to make water potable, so it's pretty expensive to desalinate water, making it beyond the reach of many regions. Also, putting that cleaned water back into the natural system is a waste of that energy.

In the UK, we're lucky to have a lot of fresh water resource, although it's becoming a problem in the southeast of England as far as I'm aware.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:19 pm

See also the Aral Sea, or the lack thereof.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark James » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

Matthew Green wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm
Some questions:

Why does the judge on Masterchef speak so loud and why is he so angry?

Why would Peter Jones lower himself to those cringeworthy money supermarket ads when he's already a multi-millionaire?

And why don't you see white dogshit anymore?
Saw some white dogshit today. Very nostalgic. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am
Why has it become a thing that sites where yo have to log in now have a separate page for your username and password? It used to always be one under the other, but now you enter your username and click "next" to get the bit where you enter your password. There'd better be a fucking good reason for this, because on the face of it, it's really stupid and annoying.
It buggers with the auto complete function
Is that just an aside, or is that something to do with the reason?

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 am

Mark James wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am
Matthew Green wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 pm
Some questions:And why don't you see white dogshit anymore?
Saw some white dogshit today. Very nostalgic. Almost brought a tear to my eye.
Come to my back garden, you can pick up numerous examples every day. Or to put it another way, our dogs eat raw food (basically, minced meat and bone), so every poo goes white as it dries. Most pets nowadays are fed processed rubbish which increases the volume of shit, and either dilutes or doesn't include the component that remains and dries to a light colour.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7512
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:41 am
Why has it become a thing that sites where yo have to log in now have a separate page for your username and password? It used to always be one under the other, but now you enter your username and click "next" to get the bit where you enter your password. There'd better be a fucking good reason for this, because on the face of it, it's really stupid and annoying.
It buggers with the auto complete function
Is that just an aside, or is that something to do with the reason?
Also, the two most familiar examples of this system to me - eBay and Google - both still work with browser-based autocomplete.

Paul Worsley
Acolyte
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Paul Worsley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:00 am

Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm
In the UK, we're lucky to have a lot of fresh water resource, although it's becoming a problem in the southeast of England as far as I'm aware.
Maybe if they didn't put so much of it in their beer, they wouldn't have a problem.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:30 pm

You often hear that two boxers have different championship belts and when they fight each other it will "unify" the belts or something. So why don't they then stay unified for eternity?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:19 am

Because each organisation recommends a mandatory challenger to the belt holder and sometimes if you don't fight them then you get stripped of your belt.
All bollocks I know.
Btw blame the start of all these different organisations on Muhammad Ali
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am

While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am

Mark Deeks wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am
While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Each to their own.
It's another form of addiction
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:03 am
Mark Deeks wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 am
While I get that sports fans like me indirectly spend a lot of money watching our favourite games, why the HELL do people directly give some serious amounts of money to online gaming streamers?
Each to their own.
It's another form of addiction
Giving money to people? Well direct them towards me.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

I'm no cricket fan anyway, but how do people (both players and fans) motivate themselves to really give a shit about the Ashes almost immediately after winning the World Cup?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm
Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

I'm no cricket fan anyway, but how do people (both players and fans) motivate themselves to really give a shit about the Ashes almost immediately after winning the World Cup?
The one day game to a lot of people , me included , is an inferior version of the game.
At the risk of appearing on Fiona Ts radar
It's the fucking Aussies.
Any instantces of beating the Aussies at any sport , especially cricket , should be savoured
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Conor
Series 54 Champion
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:29 am
Location: Luton - UK

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Conor » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 pm
Obviously I haven't always wanted this question answered but:

I'm no cricket fan anyway, but how do people (both players and fans) motivate themselves to really give a shit about the Ashes almost immediately after winning the World Cup?
Aside from the history and rivalry, the difference between the one day and test match versions is big enough that the Ashes is a distinct challenge. England have consistently been the best one day team over the last 4 years, culminating in winning the World Cup, but their test form has been somewhat mediocre, and the players wouldn't go into the series thinking they had nothing left to prove.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1877
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm

What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed. it also doesn't look very neat.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by JimBentley » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed.
It really doesn't, unless you've got some sort of super-turbine toilet that throws the water from the toilet bowl all over your bathroom. Sure, a few microbial parts may find their way out, but you're not going to get ill from those, unless you're already heavily immunologically compromised, in which case you're far more likely to get ill from something else, shaking hands with someone for instance.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

JimBentley wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:14 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm


It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
It allows a miasma of faeces to escape when the bog is flushed.
It really doesn't, unless you've got some sort of super-turbine toilet that throws the water from the toilet bowl all over your bathroom. Sure, a few microbial parts may find their way out, but you're not going to get ill from those, unless you're already heavily immunologically compromised, in which case you're far more likely to get ill from something else, shaking hands with someone for instance.
Yeah, I know I've survived this long, but I like to think such claims creep people out a bit. Plus it's neater.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Moving away from this 👆.
My brother insists his birth mark has move significantly over the years, I call bullshit on the basis that tattoos don't move so how can birthmarks move.
Can anyone throw any light on this ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 pm
What's wrong with leaving the toilet seat up?
It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.
I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm

How does your body know when to make you need to go for a poo? Quite often if I've been out and not needing to go at all, I'll get back and then start needing to go quite urgently. It can't just be a coincidence that I happen to get back just in time.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:16 pm


It's certainly no worse than leaving the seat down but the lid up.
I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.
I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
I think you need to have a conversation about this.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm


I want to return to this actually - I know it's supposedly a thing that women complain about men leaving the toilet seat up so they have to go to the great deal of effort to put it down again.

But if there is a "civilised" way to do it, it's to put both the seat and the lid down. If you leave the lid up, there's no moral highground to be had for those who leave the seat down. It's all the same.
I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
I think you need to have a conversation about this.
Oh, we have.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:12 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 am


I agree, but I get told off for putting the lid down. So I now put the lid down everywhere but in my own house.
I think you need to have a conversation about this.
Oh, we have.
I want a transcript.

Phil H
Rookie
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Phil H » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am

Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Tom S » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Phil H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?
Perhaps another one to add to this (though it does not appear under always wanted to know) was as to why Robin Johnson was not present in the S79 finals- though of course, it does not need to made public if the subject is of a private/personal matter.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Tom S wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 pm
Phil H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?
Perhaps another one to add to this (though it does not appear under always wanted to know) was as to why Robin Johnson was not present in the S79 finals- though of course, it does not need to made public if the subject is of a private/personal matter.
Presumably he couldn't make the recording dates. It's not even that rare is it? Why single him out?

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Tom S » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Tom S wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:18 pm
Phil H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?
Perhaps another one to add to this (though it does not appear under always wanted to know) was as to why Robin Johnson was not present in the S79 finals- though of course, it does not need to made public if the subject is of a private/personal matter.
Presumably he couldn't make the recording dates. It's not even that rare is it? Why single him out?
Just that he's the only one who has not been able to since I started watching. They usually mention if someone could not attend (i.e. Annie), but don't recall anything being said about Robin.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by JimBentley » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:36 pm
Moving away from this 👆.
My brother insists his birth mark has move significantly over the years, I call bullshit on the basis that tattoos don't move so how can birthmarks move.
Can anyone throw any light on this ?
If he's recently gained a lot of weight (or lost a lot of weight), it could appear that way. But no, the skin doesn't move. It's actually quite a deep structure and is strongly integrated with the underlying flesh.

Very occasionally, molar birthmarks can change size or shape which can be an indication of malignant melanoma. It's pretty rare but is always worth getting checked out, if that's the case.

Fiona T
Acolyte
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Fiona T » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Phil H wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 am
Would Mr Eadie be willing to reveal what proportion of Countdown applicants fail the audition?

And how come the postal address is still in Leeds?
<waves>

I failed my first audition. It's not uncommon. They give you another go a few days/weeks later.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm

I failed one back in the day when you had auditions at a hotel in central London I think either Kings cross or Euston.
I arrived late due to tube issues.
And I got flustered and started to stammer and Ballsed up the numbers rounds.
Will maybe try again in a few years
I think my audition might have been 1990
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark James » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm

There was a round on Pointless featuring celebrities called _____ junior and they were all men. It's probably not convention for women named after their mother to get the junior moniker but it got me thinking that I can't think of any women who are named after their mother. Does anyone know any?

Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Mark James wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm
Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.
Good call, although sometimes it might be a "family tradition" rather than narcissism.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7512
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm
Mark James wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 pm
Also I would be tempted to put people who do name their kids after themselves in the people you shouldn't trust thread. It's not only narcissistic but shows a total lack of imagination.
Good call, although sometimes it might be a "family tradition" rather than narcissism.
Still fails on the total lack of imagination front I think though. One of the best things about having kids is getting to give them fun names. See also: pets.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am

You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark James » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am
You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
And a daughter Georgetta.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am

Mark James wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am
You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
And a daughter Georgetta.
And a grill.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am
Mark James wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:23 am
You could be like George Foreman and name all your boys after you
And a daughter Georgetta.
And a grill.
I thought that was a George Formby 😄
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Peter Mabey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Peter Mabey » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:27 pm

My sister's middle name was our mother's first one (and similarly for me and my brother - our father had three initials, so we had one each) - I guess this would be a family tradition for many people.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm

What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm
What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.
There are quite a few instances of someone getting off on a technicality.
The kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's baby being a famous one
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:32 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm
What does it actually mean when someone gets off on a "technicality"? I was wondering that a few days ago, and then I thought to myself that maybe it just happens in films and TV programmes and that it's it's not a real thing, but then I came across this just now.
There are quite a few instances of someone getting off on a technicality.
The kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh's baby being a famous one
But what is it?

Edit - I had a look around and found this which might be of interest. Very American though. Maybe people only get off on technicalities in America though!

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am

The Statute of Limitations is a good example.
Until recently it was only 20 years in France until a recent case involving a paedophile priest who was protected from justice , primarily by the clergy .
If you watched the film By the Grace of God it shows you how the law is an ass , but after he admitted his guilt the priest didn't envisage someone coming forward to sue him.
Although still awaiting trial along with the bishop , technically innocent (in spite of admissions ) , the SoL has been changed to 30 years so he (they ) won't escape justice on s technicality
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9034
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm

When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm
When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?
More importantly , what pastel colour will Jo Swinton be wearing
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 pm
When Prince Philip dies on Thursday (he's pretty old so this will probably happen) will we still get the through-the-night election coverage, or will it all be about a gaffe-prone out-of-touch buffoon? Or maybe Prince Philip?
More importantly , what pastel colour will Jo Swinton be wearing
Not sure who Jo Swinton is, do you mean the Queen? And surely she'd wear black?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests