How autistic are you?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

How did you do?

0-10 "Low"
5%
11-22 "Average (most women score about 15 and most men score about 17)"
35%
23-31 "Above average"
42%
32-50 "Very high"
18%

Total votes: 66

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Re: How autistic are you?

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:9 - not sure I like being described as "low". Hmmmmmm ;)
GTFO freak.
Kiss my sweet peaches 8-)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

38 for me. I'm very familiar with these tests and I therefore answer as accurately as possible. I'm currently seeing a clinical psychologist for a full assessment as I received a provisional diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome from the Kent Autistic Trust last year.

I have been my own worst enemy over the years because I have had the intellect (IQ 154) to develop certain coping strategies and methods of avoiding difficult situations, all just so I could pass as 'normal'. Now I wish I hadn't done that because a diagnosis in childhood could have made life (relatively) much less stressful and exhausting. And I might not have missed out on so many things. My tip to any young people with similar conditions: Let people know you're struggling.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Alec Rivers wrote:I have been my own worst enemy over the years because I have had the intellect (IQ 154)
Interesting - which scale?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:(IQ 154)
Interesting - which scale?
Cattell B III. I sat the MENSA-administered tests and was subsequently invited to join, which I did.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:I sat the MENSA-administered tests and was subsequently invited to join, which I did.
May I refer you to this thread?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:I sat the MENSA-administered tests and was subsequently invited to join, which I did.
May I refer you to this thread?
Lol. I almost didn't click on that, because I thought you were just referring him to the Mensa thread, which I have already read.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Alec Rivers wrote:Cattell B III. I sat the MENSA-administered tests and was subsequently invited to join, which I did.
See, now shouldn't you be intelligent enough to know that it's meaningless to say "I've got an IQ of 154" without specifying the scale? IIRC when I did a Mensa test there were two scales, and on one (presumably that one) I got 157, and the other it was something rubbish-sounding like 142, so obviously if I just wanted to look clever I'd always say my IQ is 157 (I don't - I can't think of a time when I've ever brought up IQ other than when people have asked me, or when I've been trying to explain it like now). It always amuses me when people say "oh I have an IQ of n" when they're trying to look smart, because by not specifying a scale it means they're not quite as clever as they're trying to imply.

Edit: Can someone explain where this obsession with writing Mensa in all caps came from?

Edit edit: This probably comes across as weirdly angry/confrontational, it's not meant to be, I just like taking the opportunity to remind people how to react when someone claims to have a high IQ.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote: Edit edit: This probably comes across as weirdly angry/confrontational, it's not meant to be, I just like taking the opportunity to remind people how to react when someone claims to have a high IQ.
Looks like *someone* needs a hug.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: Edit edit: This probably comes across as weirdly angry/confrontational, it's not meant to be, I just like taking the opportunity to remind people how to react when someone claims to have a high IQ.
({)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
({)
(})

Why do I always have to be the girl?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: ({)
(})

Why do I always have to be the girl?
I know what you were really thinking, you racist.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Michael Wallace wrote:See, now shouldn't you be intelligent enough to know that it's meaningless to say "I've got an IQ of 154" without specifying the scale? IIRC when I did a Mensa test there were two scales, and on one (presumably that one) I got 157, and the other it was something rubbish-sounding like 142, so obviously if I just wanted to look clever I'd always say my IQ is 157 (I don't - I can't think of a time when I've ever brought up IQ other than when people have asked me, or when I've been trying to explain it like now). It always amuses me when people say "oh I have an IQ of n" when they're trying to look smart, because by not specifying a scale it means they're not quite as clever as they're trying to imply.
Oh I'm sorry. I just idly included it as loose support for my claim that I am mentally creative enough to successfully fake being normal. That's all.

And I rarely mention it. If I do, I usually point out why that information is of limited use.

Why do people keep picking on me?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Alec Rivers wrote:Why do people keep picking on me?
I wasn't 'picking on you', I was highlighting the meaningless of someone saying "I have an IQ of n" (I guess it's a pet hate of mine). If you think people questioning statements you make constitutes being picked on then you're just going to develop a persecution complex.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Michael Wallace wrote:If you think people questioning statements you make constitutes being picked on then you're just going to develop a persecution complex.
There are several people on this forum past and present like that. They get offended or even flounce off as soon as someone questions or disagrees with them.
Is this connected to being good at Countdown, or being autistic?
Michael Wallace wrote:Edit: Can someone explain where this obsession with writing Mensa in all caps came from?
Yeah, funnily enough I've just started thinking about that myself, and that is why I made the conscious decision to type it with all but the first letter in lower case this time.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:If you think people questioning statements you make constitutes being picked on then you're just going to develop a persecution complex.
There are several people on this forum past and present like that. They get offended or even flounce off as soon as someone questions or disagrees with them.
Is this connected to being good at Countdown, or being autistic?
I would guess it's just that text-only communication loses a lot of nuance, and the effect of nuance is usually to soften a particularly point, so people come across as blunter or curter than they really are.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:I would guess it's just that text-only communication loses a lot of nuance, and the effect of nuance is usually to soften a particularly point, so people come across as blunter or curter than they really are.
Yes, you're right. That's probably all it is. I must admit I've had a few such misunderstandings myself after years of using AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN etc.. Perhaps I will welcome everyone with such a forum mantra in future welcome posts. Or perhaps not, or you'd probably all feel like attacking me!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Derek Hazell wrote:They get offended or even flounce off as soon as someone questions or disagrees with them.
It depends entirely on how that disagreement is offered. I have no problem at all discussing differences of opinion on any number of topics - I'm quite open-minded. But when someone actually calls my character into question, I get offended, viz: "... not quite as clever as they're trying to imply."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:They get offended or even flounce off as soon as someone questions or disagrees with them.
It depends entirely on how that disagreement is offered. I have no problem at all discussing differences of opinion on any number of topics - I'm quite open-minded. But when someone actually calls my character into question, I get offended, viz: "... not quite as clever as they're trying to imply."
Maybe if you don't want to be accused of something you should just, you know, not do it.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe if you don't want to be accused of something you should just, you know, not do it.
I'll do my best, but I didn't even realise I did anything. This is a common occurrence for me, unfortunately. I'll make a note to raise it with my therapist.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe if you don't want to be accused of something you should just, you know, not do it.
I'll do my best, but I didn't even realise I did anything. This is a common occurrence for me, unfortunately. I'll make a note to raise it with my therapist.
Don't worry about it. Michael seems to me to be one of the gentlest people on here, so I am sure he wasn't interested in targeting you personally.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Alec Rivers wrote:I have no problem at all discussing differences of opinion on any number of topics - I'm quite open-minded. But when someone actually calls my character into question, I get offended, viz: "... not quite as clever as they're trying to imply."
You can start any old argument you like with a nice juicy bit of selective quoting. However, try reading all of that sentence from Michael's post, not just the last few words:
Michael Wallace wrote:It always amuses me when people say "oh I have an IQ of n" when they're trying to look smart, because by not specifying a scale it means they're not quite as clever as they're trying to imply.
There is no way you can take the second half of that sentence personally unless you accept that you are the type of person described in the first half - viz: people "trying to look smart". If as you suggest (and I've no reason to disbelieve you) you didn't quote your IQ to try and look smart, then ipso facto the rest of the sentence doesn't apply to you, and there's no possible justification for your being offended by it. End of argument.

Talking of smart, I just used a Latin phrase ("ipso facto") and a gerund ("your being offended") in the same sentence. Go me. 8-)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:If as you suggest (and I've no reason to disbelieve you) you didn't quote your IQ to try and look smart, then ipso facto the rest of the sentence doesn't apply to you, and there's no possible justification for your being offended by it.
You've got me there. And, although it's embarrassing to own up to hypocrisy, I must admit I moan when I see someone else simply looking for an argument, but that's exactly what I seem to have done. *bangs head on table*
Phil Reynolds wrote:Talking of smart, I just used a Latin phrase ("ipso facto") and a gerund ("your being offended") in the same sentence. Go me. 8-)
Class. (And did you see how I shoe-horned 'sine qua non' into this post?)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

A thought that's just occurred to me: how come arses are smart, but dicks are merely clever?
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:A thought that's just occurred to me: how come arses are smart, but dicks are merely clever?
Indeed. Some arses are even persuaded to permit wrong-way traffic, but you wouldn't see a dick doing that. ;)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

END OF ANECDOTE
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:A thought that's just occurred to me: how come arses are smart, but dicks are merely clever?
Indeed. Some arses are even persuaded to permit wrong-way traffic, but you wouldn't see a dick doing that. ;)
Well, other than those that have had things surgically removed, such as flower stems - which go in ok, but because of the little barbs, don't come out again. Sorry - gone off on a tangent there.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Well, other than those that have had things surgically removed, such as flower stems - which go in ok, but because of the little barbs, don't come out again. Sorry - gone off on a tangent there.
sings: "He used to give me roses..."
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Kai Laddiman wrote:END OF ANECDOTE
Sorry, Kai. :oops:
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

I got 31 but wanted to get 50.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

32 :D
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

I got 14. Expected it to be a little higher, especially as I've been asked more than once whether I'm autistic.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

As someone with autism, my issue with this is that in tests like these I've taken, many of these questions, I could have 5 different answers depending on my mood or whether I've changed in time, and they tend to not really target the quirks that I know don't change in me and I know tend to distinct me from others. So I probably could get a 10 one day and a 30 the next, but I don't think it's a fair evaluation.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jordan F wrote:As someone with autism, my issue with this is that in tests like these I've taken, many of these questions, I could have 5 different answers depending on my mood or whether I've changed in time, and they tend to not really target the quirks that I know don't change in me and I know tend to distinct me from others. So I probably could get a 10 one day and a 30 the next, but I don't think it's a fair evaluation.
AFAIK it's no different from any other autism test in that respect.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Charlie Reams wrote: AFAIK it's no different from any other autism test in that respect.
Well, the other sort of "tests" that I'm thinking of, which is what I think happened with me (I'm too young to remember), involve some sort of expert or doctor related to the subject and witnessing your behavior directly and see if these quirks that I mentioned appear. Problems with those too, but I think the things that they look for don't change, unlike these questions. And I mean, I'm not one of these experts, so I could be wrong; but it's what I remember.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Only seen this for the first time today.

35. A lot higher than I'd expected.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

36 :o

Test must be shite. As I'm decidedly mediocre at Countdown I must be normal.
Scott Gillies
Rookie

Post by Scott Gillies »

just the 19 for me that will do.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Want to bump this thread.
I recently did a poll on Facebook asking a Scrabble group if they was on the spectrum and over 120 replied and one in four said they was.
Curious if a similar result would be achieved here if it was a straight poll.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Well assuming it's the same test as this

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autis ... m-quotient

It seems to equate being a bit introverted and liking patterns with autism.

I scored 27, but think it's bollocks :)

Mind you, I work in IT, so perhaps my perceptions of "normal" are skewed ... :D
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm Well assuming it's the same test as this

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autis ... m-quotient

It seems to equate being a bit introverted and liking patterns with autism.

I scored 27, but think it's bollocks :)

Mind you, I work in IT, so perhaps my perceptions of "normal" are skewed ... :D
Do you work with anyone like 'Moss ' my favourite comedy Aspie ?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Kieran Child wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm I got 14, so I'm average for a woman.
But also, autism doesn't exist. There is no biological difference that can be tested for that you can then look at and say "there's the autism bit. Should we cut it off or leave it in?"
All psychological disorders are inventions for us to kid ourselves that people different to us are malfunctioning.
From the test, 13) Like going to a library more than a party? Then there's something wrong with your brain. 19) Enjoy maths? Then you must have been born prematurely or something, because you're messed up.
Well this is a really terrible post right here
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:46 am
Kieran Child wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm I got 14, so I'm average for a woman.
But also, autism doesn't exist. There is no biological difference that can be tested for that you can then look at and say "there's the autism bit. Should we cut it off or leave it in?"
All psychological disorders are inventions for us to kid ourselves that people different to us are malfunctioning.
From the test, 13) Like going to a library more than a party? Then there's something wrong with your brain. 19) Enjoy maths? Then you must have been born prematurely or something, because you're messed up.
I don't think it's entirely terrible. Does autism really exist as a separate discrete thing or is it just how far along some arbitrary spectrum you are? Even then it's not necessarily even a spectrum, because there are multiple dimensions in the definition. You know like Down's Syndrome is definitely a thing. You either have it or you don't. You could invent your own condition where if people have certain traits to certain extents then they qualify. Does that condition then "exist"? Is autism like that or not? I think it might be on the spectrum...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I don't like labels generally but since my daughter had a diagnosis as having Asperger's Syndrome , I have been reflecting and studying my place on the spectrum.
I have many traits like tactlessness , not making eye contact , socially inept , not being able to read a room full of people.
But having made further studies done people on the spectrum have perfect vocal pitch , have hypermobility , and a photographic memory, sadly not a 'superpower I posses.

I feel that ignorance of Asperger's , since Greta Thunberg has made her speeches will eventually be the catalyst to destigmatize the condition in the same way society is finally understanding mental health issues like anxiety and clinical depression
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:52 am
Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:46 am
I don't think it's entirely terrible. Does autism really exist as a separate discrete thing or is it just how far along some arbitrary spectrum you are? Even then it's not necessarily even a spectrum, because there are multiple dimensions in the definition. You know like Down's Syndrome is definitely a thing. You either have it or you don't. You could invent your own condition where if people have certain traits to certain extents then they qualify. Does that condition then "exist"? Is autism like that or not? I think it might be on the spectrum...
It comes from a position where there is something "wrong". I appreciate autism can make life harder, but it's not a mental illness. And then this:
Who is the "us"? Those without the invented disorders?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Where is Kieran , these days ?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:33 pm
It comes from a position where there is something "wrong". I appreciate autism can make life harder, but it's not a mental illness.
But whether it's classed as an illness, condition or whatever, its very existence as a classifiable thing makes it in some way a negative pejorative thing, or at least it can be viewed that way. No-one gets diagnosed with awesomeness. I'm not saying autism shouldn't be a classifiable thing, but I can understand the viewpoint.
And then this:
I presume that's what he was referring to.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:33 pm
It comes from a position where there is something "wrong". I appreciate autism can make life harder, but it's not a mental illness.
But whether it's classed as an illness, condition or whatever, its very existence as a classifiable thing makes it in some way a negative pejorative thing, or at least it can be viewed that way. No-one gets diagnosed with awesomeness. I'm not saying autism shouldn't be a classifiable thing, but I can understand the viewpoint.
And then this:
I presume that's what he was referring to.
Autism has such a broad spectrum.
Savantism is pretty awesome as is a photographic memory and perfect pitch.
But yes , anyone who needs financial help with a child on the Spectrum had to claim Disability allowance which unfortunately makes it a disability but not a mental illness .
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Thought I would bump this.
I read an article on The Governess, Anne Hegarty who sought an Autism diagnosed in her late 40s after seeing a program about Autism and identifying with it.
As someone with a daughter on the spectrum, I have seen so much of myself in her and even she insists I'm Autistic.
Is there any reason or benefit in getting tested at 59 to confirm this?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

There's probably no benefit. Unless it's something you feel you need help for, it's just a label.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am There's probably no benefit. Unless it's something you feel you need help for, it's just a label.
Fuck me, we agree on something.😊
I dont like being labelled.
But i am confused as some autistic people like things to be labelled
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Brown and indigo were having a conversation and brown says indigo is autistic, indigo was offended at this accusation but brown replies you are on the spectrum.

Taxi for Marc 😊
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:28 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:05 am There's probably no benefit. Unless it's something you feel you need help for, it's just a label.
Fuck me, we agree on something.😊
I dont like being labelled.
But i am confused as some autistic people like things to be labelled
Autism covers a huge range of problems - autistic people are as different from each other as neurotypical people, so the fact that some autistic people like things that other autistic people don't should hardly be worthy of remark! But on self-diagnosis tests, it does appear as if nerdy introvert = autistic, and perhaps that is true in terms of the spectrum, but I'd say if you've got to adulthood coping perfectly well without a diagnosis, then you probably don't need one, unless you feel it gives you an explanation for being odd/strange/different/disorganised/clumsy or you feel you need support. Also I do think there is a danger that if everyone who could potentially just about be on the spectrum (and that's probably many if not most countdown/scrabble obsessive types) seeks an official diagnosis/label, then it can diminish the very real problems for those who do need support, help and understanding. But I could be very wrong on this!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

When I googled am I autistic, there were plenty of private healthcare companies willing to take my dollar to assess me online.
I did take a free one after wading through adverts and spam which ironically were distracting me during the are you easily distracted qymuestion.
Anyway it said to me that I am on the spectrum which inspired my lame joke.

I have never considered being autistic as a challenge.
My daughter works in Japan, which in spite of its ignorance of autism is ironically very autism friendly, no Public displays of affection, polite, non invasive and quiet

Many comedians, quizzers and indeed Countdowners are on the spectrum
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:59 am
And that's my point - many autistic people face real challenges every single day; some or all of living independently, difficulty communicating, organising daily life, tolerating sound and light, movement and balance etc etc... So if you're not facing any challenges, then I'm not sure what benefits a diagnosis gives you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 am
And that's my point - many autistic people face real challenges every single day; some or all of living independently, difficulty communicating, organising daily life, tolerating sound and light, movement and balance etc etc... So if you're not facing any challenges, then I'm not sure what benefits a diagnosis gives you.
I take your point but I have had 50 odd years to accept/deal with those challenges I have had which are probably more social ineptitude rather than the challenges parents and those with the most severest form of autism.
And the awful case recently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-62919744
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:30 pm And this case.
I actually thought I shared that one, I was meant to.
I watched it on Breakfast TV today
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Taking my uncle (diagnosed in his mid-40s) and myself (diagnosed at five years old), one thing a diagnosis did is that it gave us a sense of relief about having something that explained our respective 'quirks' that could sometimes impact our lives in various ways. It was a sense of relief in a way, although I know it will vary for different people :)
England's most socially-awkward churchgoer
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 pm
Taking my uncle (diagnosed in his mid-40s) and myself (diagnosed at five years old), one thing a diagnosis did is that it gave us a sense of relief about having something that explained our respective 'quirks' that could sometimes impact our lives in various ways. It was a sense of relief in a way, although I know it will vary for different people :)
Yeah I think I covered that in my original post - having an explanation can be important and if it is, it's a good reason to get a diagnosis.